Thuban

Trader's Canyon

I'm not sure if I'm getting upset or confused with some of these limits and time constraints. I've mostly been in favor of this suggestion from the beginning, but some of these new changes are making me not so happy with things.

I don't like being told that I have to save every point I earn for an entire year if I want to buy a Prize egg. I have no problem with the concept of earning points, but I don't like those points being limited so much. If I'm willing to spend the time to earn them, I'd like to be able to spend them when I want to and have enough of them for what I want to purchase. (And for the record, I don't want to call the points Shards.. Shards are what MagiStream calls the currency you buy with real money.)

I'm also not sure I like the concept of maxing out points so often. I know that several players have voiced objections to something called grinding, but I'm not sure what that is, since I've never played any game that requires it. But I want to be able to earn points for as long as I'm willing to put the time/effort into earning them, especially those bonus points mentioned. Some days I spend hours on DC, other times I might only be here for an hour a day for a week.. it depends on my real life time available and/or what else I may be doing. So if I'm playing DC, I want to be able to earn those points.. and when I'm not here I won't be earning any... which means it's MY choice as to how I play and not some timetable telling me I have to do this, this and this if I want to do that or earn points.

Then again, I may just be getting confused which in turn gets me upset because I don't understand what's going on. But basically, I don't like having so many limits on what I can do when. I don't mind high prices but I don't like having to wait.. especially if I can only do one thing at a time.. that just makes me frustrated and angry, when I'm trying to have fun.

Now if I've missed something or mis-understood something, please tell me.. NICELY.. and I'll be happy to continue the discussion.

I don't like being told that I have to save every point I earn for an entire year if I want to buy a Prize egg. I have no problem with the concept of earning points, but I don't like those points being limited so much. If I'm willing to spend the time to earn them, I'd like to be able to spend them when I want to and have enough of them for what I want to purchase. (And for the record, I don't want to call the points Shards.. Shards are what MagiStream calls the currency you buy with real money.)

The switch from points to shards was purely because shards can reasonably be found all over, are required for humans to do magic, and fit the lore we were working with.

The time frame required for prizes: Yea, its gonna take awhile, however, with the raffles, it was only possible to get one a year. However, there is an alternate pricing solution listed. If they sell cheaper (at 6 months of points) then you are limited to only 2 of each type/color (so you can get all six variations), but only two of each. If we do the higher price, you can have as many as you like of each color, but its going to take forever near the bottom of the first post, above the chart image.

Keep in mind though: it is subject to change on the whims of T.J. and his staff. They might be willing to let them go cheaper... they might not.

I'm also not sure I like the concept of maxing out points so often. I know that several players have voiced objections to something called grinding, but I'm not sure what that is, since I've never played any game that requires it. But I want to be able to earn points for as long as I'm willing to put the time/effort into earning them, especially those bonus points mentioned. Some days I spend hours on DC, other times I might only be here for an hour a day for a week.. it depends on my real life time available and/or what else I may be doing. So if I'm playing DC, I want to be able to earn those points.. and when I'm not here I won't be earning any... which means it's MY choice as to how I play and not some timetable telling me I have to do this, this and this if I want to do that or earn points.

The caps for how many points can be earned per day/week has been in place for months in this thread. The difference now is that we have some example numbers for reference.

The caps are in place to limit "grinding" (doing repeated actions over and over again to earn as much currency as possible. One easy example could be "breeding for points". Anyone could reasonably breed everything they own to gain points, and those with more dragons, obviously would earn more points than someone who is just starting out. Or if mini games were a thing, playing those mini games forever could earn points forever). We are specifically trying to avoid giving older players a distinct advantage over newer ones, by capping the points at reasonable numbers.

Then again, I may just be getting confused which in turn gets me upset because I don't understand what's going on. But basically, I don't like having so many limits on what I can do when. I don't mind high prices but I don't like having to wait.. especially if I can only do one thing at a time.. that just makes me frustrated and angry, when I'm trying to have fun.

I'm sorry that its confusing you. Its a lot of information that wasn't really well written before, but nearly everything going on now, has been set in stone a few months at least. If you want to ask more questions, feel free to shoot a pm at me, and I'm happy to break things down farther for you.

Edited by Thuban

A very expensive form of incubate which would incubate all eggs on a scroll.
Very useful for people with endless incubates. Which better way to spend your shards? /sarcasm

Earthquake (not mentioned in OP) and a singular form which would target a single egg rather than an entire scroll.
We already have that. It's called "kill" and can be found among the actions.

Enrage/Pacify potions. Allow the user to skip the prerequisites to change an Aegis' forms.
Well, why not?

Regarding Cinnamin's points: I think that overall limits (with the express exception of "bonus points", which should never count towards the limits) would be enough without having a limit for every single kind of action (catching/breeding, hatching, freezing, raising, BSAing, naming...). Unless you only came up with the overall limit based on the numbers presented in the table? In which case it might be too much information for some of us. wink.gif

Other than silly aesthetic things I'd rather every potion only represent an existing BSA action. I'm looking forward to the shop, but I want it to be a supplement to core gameplay, not something that extends beyond it.

I was under the impression that the bonus points are over and above the cap, so for those who want prize dragons plus other stuff there is always a few extra points to be gained from focusing on the bonus breeds. Say I want extra points and water walkers are a bonus dragon for the next 16 days. I make a point of picking up or breeding every water walker I can for the next 16 days. It's not a lot of extra points but every one helps, right? So instead of 200 points for that 16 day stretch I can earn maybe 210.

I personally am not really in favor of the "6 months for a prize but you're limited to only ever having X" because what if I want more than 2? I probably will in fact because hey! Shiny! Since I also know I want 2 Hollies, another CB Val '09 and most certainly more Shadow Walkers, the price for Prizes is a little tough. But life is full of choices. I'll just have to prioritize.

I personally am not really in favor of the "6 months for a prize but you're limited to only ever having X" because what if I want more than 2? I probably will in fact because hey! Shiny! Since I also know I want 2 Hollies, another CB Val '09 and most certainly more Shadow Walkers, the price for Prizes is a little tough. But life is full of choices. I'll just have to prioritize.

To be fair though, the prices of those could end up very different. Say T.J decides he's cool with them being more common.. they could drop to holiday pricing. Or he could decide that he wants them still kept insanely rare, and set them to hybrid prices. We cant really say that for sure. The thread has been putting them at costing either 6 months of points or a years worth for quite awhile now, and has been also working around the idea that in the end, its T.J. who has final say in anything involved with it.

Limits on those have been an ongoing issue. Personally I dont care either way. If you have enough points, its yours, unless there is a limit in place.

You'll hardly find any countable item that has *not* been used as some site's currency somewhere. So, shards fit with the Valkemare world of mana crystals and shards pretty well.

Other than silly aesthetic things I'd rather every potion only represent an existing BSA action. I'm looking forward to the shop, but I want it to be a supplement to core gameplay, not something that extends beyond it.

VERY MUCH this.

Very useful for people with endless incubates. Which better way to spend your shards? /sarcasm

We already have that. It's called "kill" and can be found among the actions.

Well, why not?

Regarding Cinnamin's points: I think that overall limits (with the express exception of "bonus points", which should never count towards the limits) would be enough without having a limit for every single kind of action (catching/breeding, hatching, freezing, raising, BSAing, naming...). Unless you only came up with the overall limit based on the numbers presented in the table? In which case it might be too much information for some of us. wink.gif

There are only two point totals:

100 shards every 8 days

Unlimited bonus points. They are unlimited because the only way to earn them will also greatly help the Cave operations in general.

The table was strictly how I came up with the 100 shards every 8 days (and Thu and I were debating showing it to anyone). Basically, I wanted to set a limit that a Gold Scroll owner who was active would hit fairly easily in 8 days, but I didn't want it so easy that they'd automatically hit it if they were only quasi-active. It does mean that new users, and Bronze and Silver scrolls will likely have to work a bit to reach that 100 shard limit. But that's the name of the game: there are some things in life that you have to work a tiny bit to get.

I was under the impression that the bonus points are over and above the cap, so for those who want prize dragons plus other stuff there is always a few extra points to be gained from focusing on the bonus breeds. Say I want extra points and water walkers are a bonus dragon for the next 16 days. I make a point of picking up or breeding every water walker I can for the next 16 days. It's not a lot of extra points but every one helps, right? So instead of 200 points for that 16 day stretch I can earn maybe 210.

YES, Bonus points are NOT included in the Cap. You can get as many bonus points as you physically can.

I also agree with you, hence why I prefer the "longer to get each but no internal limits" deal. And yes, I personally think the price for prizes NEEDS to be tough, because well... they are special. Same for hybrids. Too many people these days want everything handed to them. As a user who has been on the game since.... Well, for the better part of 7 years, a year isn't that bad for something that right now, I *can't* get.

Normally, I'd completely agree. But what about those items that *can't* be done with a dragon's BSA?

I definitely want all current BSAs in the potions, but I think we also need to not limit ourselves. If there's something TJ is willing to implement but doesn't currently have a dragon for it.... I say go for it, so long as its not game-changing.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

I think people should get more for raising an underpopulated breed. 0.1 point each, people would have to dedicate a lot of egg slots and still would barely get anything. I think something like .5 or 1 point if it was caught from the cave and raised until adulthood (or frozen?), with something around .3 or .1 for one from the AP since they're lower time and take less to raise. It would encourage taking those (theoretically blocker) eggs from the cave. I don't think .1 per egg really would.

(.1 numbers obtained from the first post)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

That is for sure. You want me to waste slots on blockers rather than my breeding projects, it will have to be worth my time. .1 is NOT an incentive.. 1.0 is barely worth my consideration. If raising blockers is all there is for so called 'bonus points', there better be plenty of incentive or I will NOT bother.

Not to mention that I will not likely ever max out my 100 pts, because I do not always name my dragons.. usually just the ones I breed on a regular basis and those are already named.

So those 'bonus points' are what I'll be depending on for extra points, and I'd prefer they actually be worth my time and effort.. especially if it's not a dragon I normally collect. It would really be nice if there were MANY different ways to earn bonus points.

Truthfully, if earning points is going to be so complicated, I'd rather not even bother and just forget the whole thing. I don't have a cb Prize or cb Hybrid or cb Holly now, but I can still ENJOY DC. If this store thing is going to cause me more frustration, well then I can do without it.

My personal preference is to NOT trade in any eggs / hatchies / dragons to the Traders. If you wanna get rid of it, send it to the AP or trade it.

This whole sub-topic came from the idea of trading in eggs for points, and that's too open to abuse.

Cheers!

C4.

I lean this way, as well.

Truthfully, if earning points is going to be so complicated, I'd rather not even bother and just forget the whole thing. <snip> If this store thing is going to cause me more frustration, well then I can do without it.

Earning the points isn't complicated. You earn the points primarily by doing what you already do on your day to day playing. It just seems complicated because numbers were added.

You get them for raising dragons. Each stage of growth gives points.

You get them for obtaining a dragon either from AP, cave or by breeding. Eggs are better, considernig each stage gives points.

You get them for using BSAs that help dragons grow or produce. Incubate, Influence, Fertility, Bite

There are pretty much standard things people so while playing, each time they play. There is nothing complicated there, so im not sure I understand your objection.

Edited by Thuban

I think something like .5 or 1 point if it was caught from the cave and raised until adulthood (or frozen?), with something around .3 or .1 for one from the AP since they're lower time and take less to raise.  It would encourage taking those (theoretically blocker) eggs from the cave.

Why take from the cave? Shouldn't both bred and stolen eggs count for the same ratio? Basically, I wouldn't want to be punished for not being able to find the target breed in the cave (because many people will gun for those at the same time) - I'd like to be able to just breed and raise one! Especially considering how difficult it is to get *other* breeds' babies from certain breeds ...

Potion of Attention Seeking: Usable on growing things. Makes each unique view count twice because your dragon baby is so happy about getting attention! No stacking.

Potion of Stage Fright: Usable on growing things. Makes only half of all unique views count, for slower gendering and growing. No stacking.

(I don't know who would want that, but, you know, for storytelling balance ...)

Spell Scroll of Slow Frost: Usable on growing things. Increases an egg's or hatchling's timer by a day. Stacks for each scroll use, not usable on CB holiday dragons, CB halloweens specifically.

(If you caught a special dragon but want it to stay a baby until a specific day, e.g. someone's birthday for gifting, or if trading is just very, very slow. Could also turn some IOUs into actual trades. The little one still takes up a slot for all that time, of course.)

Spell Scroll of Slow Heat: Usable on eggs. Reduces an egg's timer by half a day (12 hours). No stacking.

(Safer incubating for your Prizes and Avatars if you don't want to deal with the fear of ER sickness ...)

Potion of Extraordinary Ovovision: Usable on yourself. Allows you to identify eggs on the AP which you've held before (and dropped, obviously) because you can see your fingerprints on them. Lasts for 24 hours.

Crystal of Dominance: Usable on breedable dragons. Doubles the chance of the next breeding to result in an egg of that dragon's breed.

Crystal of Recessiveness: Usable on breedable dragons. Halves the chance of the next breeding to result in an egg of that dragon's breed.

Obviously, using the same crystal on both mates would just waste its effect. Use both crystals - Dom on the first dragon, Rec on the second - for maximum effect. May still fail to produce the egg you want.

Does not bypass holiday restrictions.

Crystals can be reused, but have a cooldown period of X weeks, and are depleted (and vanish) after Y uses.

Love Potion: Usable on two breedable dragons. Pretend it's "their special holiday" and make them breed despite a previous refusal. May still result in "no egg" if breeds are overpopulated.

Heart of Stone: Usable on two breedable dragons. Makes them retro-actively refuse. Will *not* kill previous offspring. If holiday dragons are involved, this will stick despite holiday breeding frenzy.

(For those who keep breeding their valuable dragons to the *wrong* mate because that one is always at the top of their breeding list.)

Paintbrush of Excellence: Usable on a Striped of any stage. Randomly changes the colour of your Striped. Repeatable for different effects, until desired colour is found.

(Could be a permanent effect, for interesting lineages.)

Crystal of Starvision: Usable on gendered Nebula hatchlings. Changes the colour of your Nebula.

(For fixing lineages, since Nebula colours should have roughly equal occurrance chance.)

Mineral of Mixery: Usable on Gemshards. Randomly changes the colour of your Gemshard. Repeatable for different effects, until desired colour is found.

Potion of Purplishousness: Turns your Ridgewings and Dorsals into the purple variety. May also work on Two-Headed Lindwurms.

Potion of Purplessness: Turns your Ridgewings and Dorsals into the non-purple variety. May also work on Two-Headed Lindwurms. Price for this would be X times as much as for the Potion of Purplishousness.

No potions for Coppers and Lunar Heralds, I'd say? Their colours follow stricter rules (and don't need to be added by hand for each new breed that enters the cave like for Stripeds.) Likewise, no alt potions (Black, Dark Green, Undine,) and nothing to change Sunrises and Sunsets, Day Glories and Night Glories, Seasonals or Solstices, as those are not depending on chance either.

Doll of Dissembled Death: Allows you to enrage your Aegis without actually killing something - he just *thinks* he sees a dead creature.

Scroll-Dividing Label: What some people use their frozen hatchlings for ... except that label texts don't need to be unique and may contain punctuation.

Trading and Gifting Label: Add a message to your trades and teleports.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Except new players might not have the red dragons for this. As I recall BSA potions are more for new players than experienced ones with a large horde of dragons.

And thanks for the sarcasm. Much appreciated.

I was asked a question and spit-balled ideas.

Because red dorsals and tan ridgies are not the same rarity as the purple varieties I don't think the purple potion ideas are a very good idea. Yes, you get them by chance, but the chance for the red and tan is less than the chance for the purple.

Not to sure on some of your other ideas but those stood out to me as not a good thing.

Because red dorsals and tan ridgies are not the same rarity as the purple varieties I don't think the purple potion ideas are a very good idea. Yes, you get them by chance, but the chance for the red and tan is less than the chance for the purple.

Hence the different prices.

Personally, I've had more tans I wanted to change into purple ones than the other way round ...

I think people should get more for raising an underpopulated breed. 0.1 point each, people would have to dedicate a lot of egg slots and still would barely get anything. I think something like .5 or 1 point if it was caught from the cave and raised until adulthood (or frozen?), with something around .3 or .1 for one from the AP since they're lower time and take less to raise. It would encourage taking those (theoretically blocker) eggs from the cave. I don't think .1 per egg really would.

(.1 numbers obtained from the first post)

We can certainly raise the bonus, if that's what people want. However, keep in mind: every single egg has already given 3 points to *someone*: the person that bred it, the person that hatched it, and the person that freezes / grows it. So to me, no difference should be made between the CB and the bred: both came from somewhere, both are giving someone the same amount of points.

However, what we could do is give a 0.1 bonus for *each* stage, so for a blocker:

Grabbing / breeding it: 1.1 shards

Hatching it: 1.1 shards

Growing it: 1.1 shards

Keep in mind: the egg must sit on your scroll for at least 1 second to count, ie, auto'ed eggs don't count.

But that gives a total bonus of 0.3 over the growth of the egg. Or we could give a 0.3 bonus at each stage, so if a person raises the egg from the egg they get a total bonus of 0.9.

The higher bonus would almost certainly cause a number of users to "farm" the blockers, and inducing multis. Though now that I think about it, giving part of a higher bonus for each stage might decrease the tendency to multi (or at least make them easier to spot).

Cheers!

C4.

Oh I *love* RubyEyes' suggestions! I would love Potion of Extraordinary Ovovision and the Crystal of Dominance/Recessiveness. Those could really come in handy.

Why take from the cave? Shouldn't both bred and stolen eggs count for the same ratio? Basically, I wouldn't want to be punished for not being able to find the target breed in the cave (because many people will gun for those at the same time) - I'd like to be able to just breed and raise one! Especially considering how difficult it is to get *other* breeds' babies from certain breeds ...

It's not punishment for not being able to find one, it's just that taking a CB egg to raise does one extra little service to the community and should count for more accordingly.

Edit: I really like cyradis4's suggestion of bonus points for each stage, although I do think as high a reward as is reasonable is best. It has to be high enough that people with uses for all their egg slots are tempted to devote at least one to raising the underpopulated. Otherwise it would mostly be users like me who raise for bonus points, people with no collecting goals left and no lineage projects.

One nice thing about bonus points per stage is it would allow people like me who would really rather not gain a massive army to still get bonus points for grabbing/breeding the underpopulated breed and hatching it, then abandoning it to grow up on someone else's scroll. The lost third of the possible bonus points being an ok compromise for not having to keep the adult.

It also makes things more fair, since then people can't just trade for a bunch of low time hatchlings of the underpopulated breed and gain ALL the bonus by having them reach adulthood on their scroll. That would, for the most part, be a case of "the rich get richer", which I'm pretty sure we're trying to design this to avoid.

I don't see how multiscrolling farming would really work, since points and dragons obtained by purchase are locked to the account involved. In that case, bonus points for each stage would significantly reduce the chances of multiscroll farming, since it would entail a lot of switching back and forth to get all the available points while at the same time encumbering the main scroll as little as possible. All I can imagine is something obscenely complex, like breeding/catching on main account, then transferring over, then send it back to hatch, then to the multi for hatchlinghood, then back to the main to grow up. That's 4 teleports per batch of 4 eggs. If nothing else, that would be very trackable behavior that no non-cheater would be doing, allowing pretty easy identification of the multis.

Maybe there could be bonus points for taking -any- egg in the biomes that has sat for more than, say 30 seconds? Perhaps the longer the egg sat past the baseline, the more bonus points given. Just taking an egg that is obviously not being taken on its own merit does a service to the community by moving the biome. The point numbers would be based on what's decided on the bonus points for raising the underpopulated. In the case of the points per stage model, perhaps have it match or be 1/2 the amount of points given per stage.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Awhile back I had suggested a BSA that would cause a dragon to be the opposite sprite that it would usually gender. IE Male Blue Nebulas. I could see that being worked into a potion.

/not sure on the bonus point thing. Will have to consider it.

One nice thing about bonus points per stage is it would allow people like me who would really rather not gain a massive army to still get bonus points for grabbing/breeding the underpopulated breed and hatching it, then abandoning it to grow up on someone else's scroll.  The lost third of the possible bonus points being an ok compromise for not having to keep the adult.

Couldn't you just get all the bonus points and then release the adult?

It also makes things more fair, since then people can't just trade for a bunch of low time hatchlings of the underpopulated breed and gain ALL the bonus by having them reach adulthood on their scroll.  That would, for the most part, be a case of "the rich get richer", which I'm pretty sure we're trying to design this to avoid.

I don't see this being a problem because "the rich" would have to actually come up with a decent trade for such a thing. I wouldn't really care if suddenly the CW hatchling I only picked up for the points is now worth a rare in a trade.

EDIT: I would definitely support a "change sprite" item. I think it should be indicated somewhere on the dragon's page that its sprite was changed though. With changing from male to female it's obvious, but I think such a thing could be used to switch between alt forms, and I think it would devalue "real" alts if they were indistinguishable from "sprite-altered" alts, even if the "regular to alt" change potion was very expensive.

(On that note, why not a potion that will change your dragon's sprite into any other sprite in the game? With restrictions, ofc... That might get silly, though.)

Edited by ~!~

I forget if released dragons count for the ratios or not. The whole point is to increase the population of dragons deemed underpopulated by the ratios. I would only release the adults if released dragons still count for the ratios, because otherwise it's undermining the system.

Yea, they have to come up with something to trade, but it still seems funny to me to be able to rake in bonus points just because you just happen to be able to breed or catch shiny things. It just seems to me that those bonus points should go to the people who spend the time to raise the dragons. Although I do see your point. It just feels weird to me. Everything else here is specifically set up to avoid giving advantages to players who already have an advantage and not allow point trading, so it feels odd to me that the bonus point system would allow players who are good at catching or have a hoarde of shinies to breed to trade for the hatchlings that give bonus points upon growing up.

If the points are given at each stage, the best the traders could do is trade for ER eggs and get the hatching and growing bonus, but they would still use the hatchling slots and the people who obtained the 7 day eggs would get the catching/breeding bonus. Or they could trade for low time hatchlings, but then they'd only get the growing up bonus. It just seems fairer, the bonuses go at least partially to the people who do the work.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I don't do much socializing and hence, I also don't do much trading. Thing is, I'd happily trade all the time, but folk never seem to answer my trade posts or ask me to breed for them. I'm NOT that unfriendly, I don't think.. I respond to almost all PMs, tho I do ignore those that are not polite or whiney.

The thing is tho, that I've been told I have nothing worth trading for.. because I don't have a cb Prize or any other 'special' dragon. No one seems to want any of the 3rd gen Thuweds, Dorkfaces or Dusks that I could breed. Nor do they want the offspring from any of my breeding projects that I've worked so hard on. Nope, all anyone wants are shinies of some kind.. and my cb metals don't breed worth a flip. I've offered open-ended breedings to anyone who would breed me a 2nd gen Holly or 2nd gen Prize, and had no takers. So what is someone like me supposed to do?

That's why I would like a 'store' of some kind, so I could actually buy something worth trading with. But the more restrictions that get put on the system, it makes me feel like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

The way I see it, everyone is so afraid that the system will be exploited by cheaters that we ordinary players who do not and would not abuse the system are being forgotten about. So I say, quit worrying about the cheaters.. they're going to cheat anyway.. and make a system that helps the average players.

I'm just going to summarize my thoughts adding a "me too" to Cinnamin's posts. This is getting every time more complex and restrictive. I've the feeling that by the time people will stop adding limits, I will be, if not against this suggestion, at minimum not interested. Did anybody around here heard of KISS?