Thuban

Trader's Canyon

If the choice is between making them very expensive and having them in the store or trying to change TJ's mind and never getting them, I'd much rather have them be very expensive, thank you.

I'd certainly also rather see them expensive then never have them, but I think there's several things in between both extreme that could be tried first.

Apologies for just randomly tackling one point of the conversation, but I really don't think CB Alts / Hybrids should be worth more than a CB Prize. Heck, I don't think they should be worth even as much AS a prize. While CB Alts / Hybrids might be rarer in game than CB Prizes, yes, their offspring are worth notably less. Anyone can breed a 2g Alt and Hybrid. In contrast, there a lot of people who can't even breed 4g Prizes, much less 3gs, and certainly not 2gs! Plus, anyone who isn't a CB Prize owner HAS to rely on other people to get their first prize, even if "relying" in this case is just finding one in the AP. Ergo me believing everyone who's not a diehard collector would still favor prize offspring over CB Alt / Hybrid offspring any day. Having to spend far more work for something I'm sure would be worth far less in the long run seems silly to me.

If the only reason for suggesting it was TJ's viewpoint on CB Alts / Hybrids, then I think we should try to change his perspective more than anything (as futile as it likely will be, lol).

Been trying to figure out how to articulate this myself, so let me be the first to second this.

Either don't offer cb alts/hybrids in the store or offer them for a lower price than cb prizes and trust that they're going to stay rare due to the nature of the long wait for things in the store and people preferring to save up for other things.

Im of the opinion that you guys want prizes priced too high as well, honestly. Prizes arent rare, only cbs are. The idea was to get more into circulation, but if it takes a year to earn enough points, then it will cause a flood, which could make them unable to breed, since people that care enough to save up for them, would ALL be getting them around the same time.

I want to avoid pricing on "rarity". If TJ wanted exact rarities known.. he would actually confirm when things are actually rares or not.

I lean towards the idea that some eggs should only take a few days to earn. Others should take a week, some a month. Prizes should NOT eat every single point you can possibly earn for a year. 8-10 months worth, sure, but I think it should be possible to get a prize and a holiday, or a couple rares with a years worth of points. If you are already putting a limit of "one of each type of prize" then you dont also need to limit to "one prize a year", because the points are already taking the better part of a year to actually /earn/.

Price hybrids/alts on par with prizes, not more expensive.

@Thuban: I'm not sure the effects of everyone getting a single prize around the same time would be that disastrous. Thousands of prizes are bred and added to the game every day, I'm sure; why would adding some more on top of all those already high numbers be the breaking point?

On the other hand I kind of wish the timeline was shorter for different reasons--namely that it'd take six whole years to get a prize of each type, or twelve if you go for each gender--but since I imagine this would only happen if they were super rare that's probably something that just has to be accepted.

One thing to think about, what about the different levels of the prize? Everyone (for the most part) is going to grab a gold when they get to the "prize dragon" level of points. That suddenly makes CB gold prizes a heck of a lot more common than CB bronze prizes. Or is that even a problem? Something to consider.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Im of the opinion that you guys want prizes priced too high as well, honestly. Prizes arent rare, only cbs are. The idea was to get more into circulation, but if it takes a year to earn enough points, then it will cause a flood, which could make them unable to breed, since people that care enough to save up for them, would ALL be getting them around the same time.

I want to avoid pricing on "rarity". If TJ wanted exact rarities known.. he would actually confirm when things are actually rares or not.

I lean towards the idea that some eggs should only take a few days to earn. Others should take a week, some a month. Prizes should NOT eat every single point you can possibly earn for a year. 8-10 months worth, sure, but I think it should be possible to get a prize and a holiday, or a couple rares with a years worth of points. If you are already putting a limit of "one of each type of prize" then you dont also need to limit to "one prize a year", because the points are already taking the better part of a year to actually /earn/.

Price hybrids/alts on par with prizes, not more expensive.

Actually it wouldn't be quite like that, as the chances of everyone building up at the same speed to be sure of getting one and not being tempted by a CB gold or three on the way will change it...

I also don't buy the everyone will go for gold prizes first - I love the golds - but I like the silvers at least as well, and also my only 2 gen prize is a bronze, so I'd likely go for that first for lineage reasons.

If pricing isn't on rarity - that is going to be a right *** (I saved the censorkipz some work there !) to work out how it IS going to be done.

But yes - CB hybrids should "cost" more than prizes. They are, and always have been, far less common even than prizes.

That's why I didn't say just *everyone*, but I do think a majority would head for the golds. I'd probably be among them. I adore the silver shimmers for pairing so well with guardian, but I /have/ a 2nd gen silver shimmer x guardian. The bronzes are gorgeous too, but the golds were intended to be the prettiest and I think they are. And then there are all the people who like golds the best just because they're the rarest, and won't think about the fact that the fact that they're choosing golds means they won't be the rarest anymore.

That's why I didn't say just *everyone*, but I do think a majority would head for the golds. I'd probably be among them. I adore the silver shimmers for pairing so well with guardian, but I /have/ a 2nd gen silver shimmer x guardian. The bronzes are gorgeous too, but the golds were intended to be the prettiest and I think they are. And then there are all the people who like golds the best just because they're the rarest, and won't think about the fact that the fact that they're choosing golds means they won't be the rarest anymore.

That would be FANTASTIC actually ! I am so sick of the "wan da rarest" thing. If that would happen - like WOW ! I believe the phrase is "hoist with their own petards !"

I would go after a silver shimmer personally because I think it's the prettiest of the three released colors and closest approximation to Jewel herself, which is by far my favorite.

(I hope that we didn't have a raffle during the last event means TJ is about to implement something like a store)

I've actually hit the point where I'm not terribly interested in getting a prize dragon, so the only thing that I would be saving up for is a hybrid. ...Which I don't think should cost more than a prize since the prize is meant to be the "be all, end all." Hybrids, in and of themselves, are rather common. HM awards are consolations for getting close, but not winning the game. A consolation prize shouldn't be worth more than the actual prize.

I agree with Thuban that the "cost" being considered for prizes is too high. Yes, this is meant to be a way to fulfill your scroll goals/obtain your elusive dream dragon by working for it, but a more reasonable time frame will keep people working towards their goals. A lot of us have already spent five years chasing these blasted pixels. Even prisoners are credited with time served. wink.gif

Actually it wouldn't be quite like that, as the chances of everyone If pricing isn't on rarity - that is going to be a right *** (I saved the censorkipz some work there !) to work out how it IS going to be done.

Well, I dont think prices need to be static. I think it would be just fine for MOST incave breeds to fluctuate between a few days worth of points and a few months worth. Dont like the price? Wait for the shop to cycle, and hope it goes down. It could work out that sometimes, uncommons are cheaper than commons.. or are more expensive than "rares". I dont see rares every really being dropped to less than a a couple months worth of points at the cheapest though (with lets say five months being the standard price?)

Heres the thing: yes, we want things to be "hard" to avoid people using the shop all the time, instead of hunting the cave, but things shouldnt be so hard, that you cant really /do/ anything for long periods of time either.

Most commons will probably go between a few days to 3 months of points.

Uncommons could cover ground between 2 months to 5 months of points.

Rares could cover 4 months to 8 months

Prizes and hybrids anywhere from 6 months, to a year.

Holidays, I would plop down from anywhere from 2 months to 10, depending on just how old they are.

Any longer than that, it gets to be too tedious, especially with that suggested limit of 1 of each type of prize AND accounting for only 1 cb hybrid or alt EVER per scroll. Having prices fluctuate, could just be interesting, and leaves tj wiggle room to account for ratios IF store bought ones are to count against ratios at all.

"suggested limit of 1 of each type of prize AND accounting for only 1 cb hybrid or alt EVER per scroll. "

By 1 of each type you mean 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze of both Tinsel/Shimmers and 1 of each hybrid/alts right?

Since user with 2 CB Shimmers already is a thing...

By 1 of each type you mean 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze of both Tinsel/Shimmers and 1 of each hybrid/alts right?

Since user with 2 CB Shimmers already is a thing...

Dont get caught up in what some users have already. This is purely STORE limit. It has nothing to do with whats been handed out, at all. I am not going to punish the winners just because they have something we dont. They still get to buy one of each type.

1 of each tin.

1 of each shimmer.

1 cb hybrid OR alt, ever. Release to the wild, or death will NOT reopen the ability to get a different one. Its the most fair way I can think of to deal with the hybrids, since they arent meant to be a thing as cbs.

Well, I dont think prices need to be static. I think it would be just fine for MOST incave breeds to fluctuate between a few days worth of points and a few months worth. Dont like the price? Wait for the shop to cycle, and hope it goes down. It could work out that sometimes, uncommons are cheaper than commons.. or are more expensive than "rares". I dont see rares every really being dropped to less than a a couple months worth of points at the cheapest though (with lets say five months being the standard price?)

Heres the thing: yes, we want things to be "hard" to avoid people using the shop all the time, instead of hunting the cave, but things shouldnt be so hard, that you cant really /do/ anything for long periods of time either.

Most commons will probably go between a few days to 3 months of points.

Uncommons could cover ground between 2 months to 5 months of points.

Rares could cover 4 months to 8 months

Prizes and hybrids anywhere from 6 months, to a year.

Holidays, I would plop down from anywhere from 2 months to 10, depending on just how old they are.

Any longer than that, it gets to be too tedious, especially with that suggested limit of 1 of each type of prize AND accounting for only 1 cb hybrid or alt EVER per scroll. Having prices fluctuate, could just be interesting, and leaves tj wiggle room to account for ratios IF store bought ones are to count against ratios at all.

Fluctuating prices sounds like a really good idea!

And you can suggest a "over / under populated" kicker: the breeds that are most under-populated are cheaper more of the time, and the breeds that are over-populated are at their higher range most of the time. That way, it'd fluctuate not only with time... but with current fashion, too.

As for Prize price.... Yea, I don't think its necessary to limit CBs per scroll AND have them take a full year all the time. Also agree with an age kicker for the Holidays: the older they are, the more they cost.

Common, Uncommon, and Rare costs look good

Cheers!

C4.

If this is going to be a thing, I don't think limiting one shimmer one tinsel period is a good idea. One of each color, sure, but not one of each breed period. The prize winners would still have the advantage of being able to breed PB (color and breed) dragons of their type, but the completionists in the rest of us can at least get one of each in CB form. Remember that these things are already going to be nuts expensive and anyone who wants to get one of each would have to spend years saving and spending little to nothing on other things they might want.

If this is going to be a thing, I don't think limiting one shimmer one tinsel period is a good idea. One of each color, sure, but not one of each breed period. The prize winners would still have the advantage of being able to breed PB (color and breed) dragons of their type, but the completionists in the rest of us can at least get one of each in CB form. Remember that these things are already going to be nuts expensive and anyone who wants to get one of each would have to spend years saving and spending little to nothing on other things they might want.

I did clearly state of of each color.

1 cb hybrid OR alt, ever. Release to the wild, or death will NOT reopen the ability to get a different one. Its the most fair way I can think of to deal with the hybrids, since they arent meant to be a thing as cbs.

Wouldn't view-bombers have it really easy ruining it for people, then? I would want to exclude death from the list of things that take up a slot forever.

I also don't immediately see why that restriction is necessary. If a new hybrid or alt is released, should people who love the hybrid/alt enough to get a CB of it, but spent their one slot on an existing concept, be doomed never to have one?

I think the time it takes to earn these critters would be limit enough, really (also for the prizes).

What I could imagine is that the first purchase is always the cheapest, and it gets harder for subsequent critters (for example, maybe on the order of twice as hard, so if your first CB prize cost 1000 hypothetical points, the next would cost 2000, the next 4000, et cetera...). That way, people who want more can have more, but you also don't end up with people who have only half the time to dedicate to the game ending up with half the amount of CB prizes that other people have? (In a scenario like this, the gotten goods definitely have to be non-tradable then, of course, to prevent two people with compatible goals circumventing the necessary extra investment.)

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I've lost track of this topic a bit. v_v;; *tried to catch up but brain is mush*

Edited by pinkgothic

Maybe something that could be bought could be a "keep my dragon safe" ticket, to keep and use when needed (like you hang on to the get out of jail free card till you want to use it !), so you could have one ready to protect a specific egg from sickness. (single use only, obviously).

I think it would be reasonable to protect eggs gotten from the store from sickness death. Just an extra little something thrown in with the purchase.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I think it would be reasonable to protect eggs gotten from the store from sickness death. Just an extra little something thrown in with the purchase.

I hope that would be the case, but I could also see the appeal of buying such a thing for a non-store egg that was particularly precious.

There is still fog, you guys suggested built in sickness protection, there is the possibility of the BSAs that havent been used, being turned into potions to be purchased (mass fog, multi clutch potion, Sure, we could make a anti-sickness potion).

Suppose I should update the first post more (after the rugrats go to bed for the night).

Pinkgothic: CB hybrids arent something that TJ was interested in when I had talked to him about the suggestion. I dont remember his exact words, but he strongly implied that CB hybrids were just not ok, and had made it pretty clear they wouldnt be a part of this. However, I am one stubborn little thorn and figure I will still play with the idea of them being part of this thread, IF we can find a way to keep them reasonably rare (as the cbs are very likely the most rare thing on site...) That is why they have been suggested to be MORE expensive than Prizes (as they are more rare and not exactly favored).

Whether he includes them or not, is up to him, if this suggestion happens. I would rather include them and try to make concessions, than leave thm out and have no shot at them being in there.

Edited by Thuban

His reluctance to include them was one reason I suggested a weekly raffle for such things. If there were one cb hybrid or alt won each week, then that would keep them pretty darn rare, far more rare than cb prizes. The price then could be fairly low but the points spent on a ticket would be non-refundable. Say two weeks worth of points would buy you a ticket but the chances of winning would depend on how many other people also bought a ticket for that week's raffle.

Then, rotate the breeds given in that raffle. Say, a CB black one week, a CB vine the next, and so on. You'd only enter raffles for the ones that interested you.

Right now we have 3 alts: Black, Vine, Undine; 6 hybrids: Geode, Bluna, Shallow Water, Ultraviolet, Hellhorse, Soulpeace; and one retired: Frill. (I purposely didn't include the Avatars) That would mean about 5 of each of them per year. As we add more hybrids or alts to the game they'd be added to the rotation but not increase the number of raffles. That way the CB alts and hybrids would still be something of an aberration rather than a regular occurrence.

And having to only spend two weeks' points on maybe getting one might encourage people to take the chance, even if it's a low chance.

________

As for potions, I wonder if we could include a Growth Potion for hatchlings? Something that would take a day off their timer.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

*timidly peeks in*

I don't think I've ever posted in here. I haven't read the whole thread, but bits and pieces over time, and I really like this concept. A store like this would bring a whole new dimension to this game, and from what the OP says it sounds like getting points by doing everyday actions would be simple enough.

Personally I don't see myself using this much, as I have no want for special CBs of any breed, but the little side conversations about potions and stuff definitely interest me.

1 of each tin.

1 of each shimmer.

What is the point in creating such limits in the situation when someone won't be able to buy more than, let's say, two Prize Dragons for a year? Maybe someone doesn't want to collect Tinsels and wants to collect, for example, only Silver Shimmers and create PB lineage. The same goes for CB hybrids.

I suppose that every year new breeds would be added to the Store - maybe new CB hybrids, CB Prizes, maybe even other things such as custom codes, potions. Possibilities are practically endless and with the reasonable points' limit it's highly improbable that everyone would buy only Shimmers and Tinsels, year after year. And even if some players decide to collect only CB Prizes, maybe even only one type of CB Prize, the world won't collapse and ratios won't implode - they would still be able to buy only two per year.

That's why I would like to have two per year limit. It would let you obtain one breeding pair of CB Prizes or CB hybrids / CB alts during the year. We have now 3 alts, 9 hybrids (Avatars included) and 6 Prize breeds, and that means that if someone would like to obtain one breeding pair of each, it would take... yeah, 18 years. And 9 years if someone would want to collect one of each type. I'm sure that in that situation, many people would like to concentrate on collecting only one type of dragon they like the most, for example, CB Soulpeaces or CB Alt Undines. Why deny them that? It's not like they would be able to hoard them.