Thuban

Trader's Canyon

The issue with log in rewards like that is that not everyone has the time to log in daily, or at minimum remember to do so. If the earned mana resets for missing a day, we would be penalizing someone who may be a dedicated player but has classes and finals, family, work, etc that may eat up that one day they missed. Its unfair to penalize them for being busy despite their being dedicated players.

In terms of available holidays through trophies, Some have said that basing one's self off of trophies as a symbol of "dedication" is flawed due to different play styles. For example, not everyone hoards. Some players only catch and grow 1 stage out of each dragon (which varies anywhere between 3-5 stages per.) That means not everyone may reach the gold trophy level unless more dragons are added. I'm not quite sure how well this works out so I am only stating this as someone had made mention of it before. It may or may not be true, and with all the different breeds available it could be possible but I highly doubt there are enough dragons to reach 500 dragons by only collecting 1 of each stage of dragon.

on the same coin its not fair to neglect rewarding a person who logs in every day (or even 3 times a week) and shows more dedication than someone who only pops in when ever theres a new release.

the point is to reward dedication, and give an incentive based on continuous and daily play. not logging in and getting the bonus reset is not a penalty, because your ability to earn the mana hasn;t gone away, just the bonus associated with being addicted to the game. a penalty would be subtracting mana for not logging in or suspending mana collection.

the point of the concept of "rewarding based on activity" is "more activity = more reward" nothing else goes into that equation.

re- trophy limits. according to the encycolpedia there are currently 145 different species available for collection. just collecting 3 of each of these (ungendered hatchie, gendered hatchie, adult) and discounting dimorphism, you can reach 441 dragons. you add in dimorphism (and different color variations of dargons, as well as the ones released and not added) you can collect over 500 (gold trophy) without hording multiple of one or more species.

and given the rate of new dragons being added each year, the ability of easily reaching the gold trophy without the need to hoard is made easier each year.

How about instead of a log in reward how about this?

Been playing for two years: Solstice and mistletoe

3 years - Winter Magi & Wrapping Wing also become available.

4 years - Ribbon Dancer & Angelwing also become available

5 years and beyond - Yulebuck & Holly also become available.

But keeping in with the cb limits, you can only have two of each.

my post is discussing two different things, hence the line seperator.

the log in reward is a suggestion of how to earn the mana/points required to purchase the dragons in the store.

the "dragons available tied to trophy" is to suggest a way to prevent all the previous holidays being available from the get go but make it to where eventually all the previous holidays will be available at based on dedication that everyone has a fair shake at achieving and is relatively easily achievable (so it doesn't disadvantage players but still rewards activity)

keeping current CB limits is a given, idk why people have to keep specifying that.

my post is discussing two different things, hence the line seperator.

the log in reward is a suggestion of how to earn the mana/points required to purchase the dragons in the store.

the "dragons available tied to trophy" is to suggest a way to prevent all the previous holidays being available from the get go but make it to where eventually all the previous holidays will be available at based on dedication that everyone has a fair shake at achieving and is relatively easily achievable (so it doesn't disadvantage players but still rewards activity)

keeping current CB limits is a given, idk why people have to keep specifying that.

That seriously disadvantages a new player who REALLY wants - say - a yulebuck and not a ribbon. Why make them wait ages for their most wanted thing - which they will have to work to earn anyway - that is the fastest way to discourage that I can think of.

If past CBs are to be available, I think you should be able to get them in any order you like. If necessary, have older ones be more VALUABLE, but don't rule them out.

That seriously disadvantages a new player who REALLY wants - say - a yulebuck and not a ribbon. Why make them wait ages for their most wanted thing - which they will have to work to earn anyway - that is the fastest way to discourage that I can think of.

If past CBs are to be available, I think you should be able to get them in any order you like. If necessary, have older ones be more VALUABLE, but don't rule them out.

if having to play the game in order to get a dragon (which currently they wouldn't be able to get anyways as a CB) is going to discourage them, then having it at a higher cost will likely discourage them as well, because well they haven't been playing long enough to get enough mana to buy the one they want.

the store is only targeting collecting CB's of the sprite, not "this is the only way to get it at all" sort of thing.

so if a new member joins in November, and all they want is a Yulebuck, because thats the only sprite they really like. they can get their fill and trade to their hearts content for lineaged ones and get the sprite on their scroll. when they find out in the store they can get a CB version, but the restriction is they have to have a gold trophy and it costs "this much mana" ... that gives them incentive to continue playing to get the CB version of the sprite they dearly love.

if having to play the game in order to get a dragon (which currently they wouldn't be able to get anyways as a CB) is going to discourage them, then having it at a higher cost will likely discourage them as well, because well they haven't been playing long enough to get enough mana to buy the one they want.

the store is only targeting collecting CB's of the sprite, not "this is the only way to get it at all" sort of thing.

so if a new member joins in November, and all they want is a Yulebuck, because thats the only sprite they really like.  they can get their fill and trade to their hearts content for lineaged ones and get the sprite on their scroll.   when they find out in the store they can get a CB version, but the restriction is they have to have a gold trophy and it costs "this much mana" ...  that gives them incentive to continue playing to get the CB version of the sprite they dearly love.

You know, a trophy-based limit is pretty much superfluous. After all, someone without at least a silver/gold trophy won't be able to afford an expensive holiday dragon anyway. Just saying.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

with all due respect to the artists and their babies, i think the only one with the authority to determine costs and which ones are added to the store is TJ. an artist agrees to have their sprite collectable through the site, this is just another form of collection. the only time a sprite shouldn't be in the store is if its retired 100% from the site (like BP's or Frills).

in post edit - a trophy-based limit maybe superfluous, but it accomplishes the main complaint of "all holidays being offered at the same time" and doesn't influence play style because it works on a mechanic thats already in play.

after all, having a gold trophy and 7 egg slots gives me an advantage over a new player with no trophy and 4 egg slots. but no one seems to have a problem with that "unfairness and disadvantage" towards new players. having availability of previous CB sprites be available based on this mechanic is no more unfair than egg slots being an award for dedication, in fact it just makes that dedication more worth while.

its also does away with the need to make older holidays cost more.

we already have a limit of 2 CB for Valentines & Christmas dragons, having older ones cost more and adding another limitation to this is redundant.

especially if the ones you have available to you at any given time is based on your activity level (ie: trophy level).

edit 2 - and to add on that, i do think there should be an overall cap on how many CB's of any dragon can be gotten from the store specifcally because of prizes and halloweens. and i think the cap of 1 per color per scroll of the prizes, as well as 7 CB per scroll (not counting current CB's on scroll) is fair for Halloweens. thats a egg lock for someone at the initial drop time, which is more than fair given we otherwise wouldn't be getting a CB version of this sprite (though the OCD person in me would prefer 8 cause of even pairs xd.png )

While I like the thought behind this, I do not think I would like it in pratice. What if someone new comes in and Halloween 2015 is their first holiday, but the only Cb Halloween they want is a pumpkin? They have to wait, what, four years just for that to be available to them in the store? To me, this defeats any reason I would have to support a store,

I think if we want to keep things rarer, just make them more expensive.

Or! Perhaps have it so that with lots of time dedication, you could buy old holidays quicker OR you could wait a few years and in those four years, when the pumpkin finally becomes available to you, it is at a reduced price.

So - old holidays available at a more expensive price right away and at a reduced price if you wait the designated amount of time.

I'm with Sock here.

Also with Thuban:

I'm not entirely sure why you guys are pushing for such harsh penalties. From the beginning, at least my original idea was about being able to slowly earn these eggs. I dont know why pushing for one egg a year happened. Take holidays for example...

They would only be available during their windows to be picked up. So if one is obtained, users wont be able to breed them for holiday offspring until the following year anyhow. I dont think it is necessary to have to force users to collect each of the previous years to work back to the ones they actually want. That is forcing a play style. I can think of several breeds I wouldnt want forced on me if I decided to work back to hollies for example.

Thats where the general prices came into play: If you have the points to get the thing, then you get the thing. No hoops.

With the eggs being untradable, there is a drawback.

With holidays only showing back during breeding window, there is a drawback.

Waiting a year to get holiday babies from it, drawback.

Giving up holiday slots to get these eggs.. drawback.

Why would you then add yet another limit of "only one egg per year? It is reasonable that over the course of a year, you could get one egg from each holiday type (as in one v-day, one halloween and one christmas) OR one prize.

Im still leaning strongly in the direction of only one of each type of prize being available per user, however 6 years to get all of the prizes IS insane. Its still makes them available.. but not at reasonable rates. Most people would want their own cbs of every version... but to limit themselves out of any other goodies for 6 years to accomplish that, is overkill. I would far rather see it take 8 or 9 months to earn the ability to get one, than full year. Its still a time sink.

This is getting so complicated it really won't be worth it. Sort of like going grocery shopping and you want to buy butter but you can’t because you haven’t been in the store long enough and you have to buy lettuce and canned tomatoes before you qualify…. xd.png

after all, having a gold trophy and 7 egg slots gives me an advantage over a new player with no trophy and 4 egg slots. but no one seems to have a problem with that "unfairness and disadvantage" towards new players. having availability of previous CB sprites be available based on this mechanic is no more unfair than egg slots being an award for dedication, in fact it just makes that dedication more worth while.

Sure - but as whitebaron never fails to point out - you can get to gold in under 6 months.That's a lot different from having to wait YEARS for a CB yulebuck.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Sure - but as whitebaron never fails to point out - you can get to gold in under 6 months.That's a lot different from having to wait YEARS for a CB yulebuck.

right, which is why i proposed the alternative that instead of the breeds opening up based on years, they become available based on trophy level.

my original example was this

2015 (if the store is available today, this would be our options available in christmas)

no trophy - Mistletoe & Solstice available

bronze trophy - those listed on no trophy + Winter Magi & Wrapping Wing

silver trophy - those listed on bronze trophy + Ribbon Dancer & Angelwing

gold trophy - those listed on silver trophy + Yulebuck & Holly

fast forward to 2018 christmas season, the options would look like this

no trophy - 2017 & 2016 available

bronze trophy - those listed on no trophy + 2015 & Mistletoe & Solstice

silver trophy - those listed on bronze trophy + Winter Magi & Wrapping Wing Ribbon Dancer

gold trophy - those listed on silver trophy + Angelwing & Yulebuck & Holly

so you just start playing today, really want a CB Yulebuck. the only restriction aside from getting enough mana to buy one is to get to a gold trophy. so its really up to how much "dedication" ot "time" you put into playing the game. if you really want that CB Yulebuck then you'll work hard to get that gold trophy as quickly as possible

Red's ideas are interesting, but I'm going to have to say no to both suggestions.

For the login idea, I never log out of DC if I can avoid it--unless I am forced to use another device. I'm not doing things on my scroll all the time, but it saves me those extra few seconds. For me, it's a waste of time to log in and out. If there's a way to gain points with activity while logged in, that's fine. The only way I see the login points working is if we had something like Halloween Minipets. They have a daily login bonus, but it has nothing to do with physically logging in. It is actually a separate page that you go to and get your prize. The prizes automatically reset at the site rollover. I am logged in all the time on that site too, but I can only get the daily login prize if I visit the page. Sometimes I forget to visit or just don't feel like visiting, but I know it's there and it doesn't bother the rest of my activities.

As for the holiday suggestion tied to trophies or the amount of time playing, I'm going to have to say no to both. We do have users here that have been playing for X amount of years, have left, and then come back with no idea how to use BSAs or check scroll limits or things like that. They are older players, but they have a "new player" mentality. Alternatively, there may be new players who join DC just before a holiday and pick up the game immediately. If TJ can allow everyone to enter the raffle and be well aware of the consequences (burned scrolls, dead prizes) regardless of how long they've been playing than the store can too.

On that same note, the trophy amount doesn't really tie in to a person's ability to play the game. That's tied into playing style. Again, this is an arbitrary way to force people to do something to have access to a holiday they might want. A user might not want 500+ dragons to have a yulebuck.

For the login idea, I never log out of DC if I can avoid it

just a clarification, when i say a log in bonus, i'm not literally saying "log into your account" i'm talking about your account registering that there was activity done on your scroll, that you accessed your scroll on that day; whether you just peaked in while already logged in from a previous day to check your dragons or bred dragons or caught new eggs or re-organized your dragons.

i'm sure theres a background "hit counter" thingy that keeps track of the number of times you access your scroll and from what IP; much the same way our computers keep a history of every where we go.

edit - and yes trophies do tie into a persons ability to play the game.

the basic "ability" needed to play the game is the know how and dedication to raise an egg to hatch (and most times to raise a hatchie to adult hood).

we're rewarded for that dedication of raising eggs and hatchies by given a trophy and extra egg spot to mark how many dragons we've properly cared for.

and if a user doesn't want 500+ dragons to get a yulebuck, they can always trade for a 2G or snag one out of the AP at christmas time.

as i've understood this concept for the store, its less about scroll goals and "i want CB of all dem dragons" and more about "you started playing after a bunch of CB's were rleeased and we want to reward you for your continued dedication to the site by giving you an opportunity to earn those CB's you missed out on ... becuase lineages"

Edited by Red2111

I don't like the idea of making all holiday CBs instantly available to any player during that month. That completely devalues them to the point that they're just glorified Seasonals, and makes being there for the Christmas release completely pointless; why catch them then if I can just buy one later? It takes away from Holidays being one-time-only releases, which is a large part of the reason I like them--they're unique in that regard.

Limiting them so that new players have to slowly unlock them does not "disadvantage" them; on the contrary, making all holidays available to new players puts them at an advantage over older players, because they can suddenly grab all of them as CBs, rather than having to collect lineaged ones for a year or two.

~

Here's a variation of Naru's idea (using winter as an example for simplicity's sake):

-For the first two Winters a player logs in while the shop is open, they unlock the ability to purchase the most recent two Holiday dragons whose release they missed.

-For a new player in 2015, that would mean 2014 and 2013 Holiday Dragons become available to them in 2015, provided they log in while the shop is open.

-For a new player in 2015, that would mean 2012 and 2011 Holiday Dragons become available to them in 2016, provided they log in while the shop is open in both 2015 and 2016.

-After that, the next time they log in, they have access to all other holidays they missed.

That way, there would be a range of between two and three years required to unlock access to all holidays. You'd still have to commit to the game for a few years to earn them, thus preventing Holidays from being degraded to glorified Seasonals, but it provides the ability to obtain CBs to new players. I don't think it's relevant which dragon the user wants most; the only users who have them have been playing the game for years, so why should they be able to waltz in and grab them without any commitment to the game?

Edited by PieMaster

valuable =/= special

Just saying.

And I don't see how new players would be at an advantage if they had the same rights as older players. We still have all the breeding stock we collected over the years, all the pretty lineages, often involving rares. A new player doesn't have that, whether he can buy a holly or not.

I don't like the idea of making all holiday CBs instantly available to any player during that month. That completely devalues them to the point that they're just glorified Seasonals, and makes being there for the Christmas release completely pointless; why catch them then if I can just buy one later?
Because if you wait a year to buy them, you lose at least one breeding opportunity, not to mention the ability to create 2nd gen "fails". Because you might want to get the new holidays as soon as possible, with a birthday in the year of the release. Because you'd rather spend your points on something else - like that elusive holly, or a prize dragon or whatnot.

However, this store is a chance for people who can't participate for some reason or other. Be it a bad storm (there's a reason I only have 4 CB Cavern Lurkers...), family obligations, being in a hospital or vacation time.

I don't like the idea of making all holiday CBs instantly available to any player during that month. That completely devalues them to the point that they're just glorified Seasonals, and makes being there for the Christmas release completely pointless; why catch them then if I can just buy one later? It takes away from Holidays being one-time-only releases, which is a large part of the reason I like them--they're unique in that regard.

Limiting them so that new players have to slowly unlock them does not "disadvantage" them; on the contrary, making all holidays available to new players puts them at an advantage over older players, because they can suddenly grab all of them as CBs, rather than having to collect lineaged ones for a year or two.

~

Here's a variation of Naru's idea (using winter as an example for simplicity's sake):

-For the first two Winters a player logs in while the shop is open, they unlock the ability to purchase the most recent two Holiday dragons whose release they missed.

-For a new player in 2015, that would mean 2014 and 2013 Holiday Dragons become available to them in 2015, provided they log in while the shop is open.

-For a new player in 2015, that would mean 2012 and 2011 Holiday Dragons become available to them in 2016, provided they log in while the shop is open in both 2015 and 2016.

-After that, the next time they log in, they have access to all other holidays they missed.

That way, there would be a range of between two and three years required to unlock access to all holidays. You'd still have to commit to the game for a few years to earn them, thus preventing Holidays from being degraded to glorified Seasonals, but it provides the ability to obtain CBs to new players. I don't think it's relevant which dragon the user wants most; the only users who have them have been playing the game for years, so why should they be able to waltz in and grab them without any commitment to the game?

re-obtainment. what do you think about the alternative suggestion of using the system already in place that gives user's trophies & egg slots, rather than introducing a new mechanic into the system?

re-uniquiness. see i dont view them as a limited release because next year i can still obtain the sprite. maybe in the minority here, but since limits were lifted for bred holidays, the only reason i care about CB Holiday versus lineaged one is for 2 reasons

1 - building lineages

2 - continuing prize lines

in fact, the only reason why i support this, the ability to get CB's of the ones i missed is to be able to breed the lineages i want and not have to rely souly on the luck of the AP or tracking down trades or the kind hearts of my friends who are kind enough to let me barrow their dragon to get that perfect checker or pairing.

I don't think it's relevant which dragon the user wants most; the only users who have them have been playing the game for years, so why should they be able to waltz in and grab them without any commitment to the game?

I'm pretty sure that every user who joins during a holiday release now (save for Halloweens, I believe) has the ability to waltz in and grab dragons without any commitment to the game. Winners who chose HM dragons that were holidays did not get to participate during whatever year they came out and they won with relatively little effort outside of entering the raffle.

Also, Red, the concept for the store is an alternative/ supplemental thing to the raffle. People are pushing for it to be a dedication reward, but that's the main reason for this suggestion in the first place.

Also, Red, the concept for the store is an alternative/ supplemental thing to the raffle. People are pushing for it to be a dedication reward, but that's the main reason for this suggestion in the first place.

to the underline - which is why i think if we're going to limit when CBs are available to be purchased it should be tied to a mechanic that is already in place and rewards people for their dedication; rather than an arbitrary number of years set or a price difference that effects the value of bred versions and forces a value on the dragons.

Ok, this argument is quite invalid. They are unique, no matter what... all dragons here are unique, there are even "hoarders" here in DC of many dragons, even the most common ones, that just collect those dragon even more than the others just because they like those breeds for their "uniqueness". And holiday dragons are more unique, they are released just one to 3 days in a single year. If thats not being unique, then I dont know what is...

No, it does not make them have an advantage over older players, they will be on the same ground. How many old players have CB hollies? Not too many from what I know; now, they can buy one just with the same effort as a newer player, but the older player probably has trophies, which translates in more egg slots, so it will not bother them too much as a newer player. Also, older players have more dragons, and more reds, pinks, magis and purples to make more succesful lineages.

They will not be just like seasonals, seasonals are obtainable year-round, they breed year-round, and they change "color" with solstices and equinox, oh! and you can get more than 2 CBs, in fact, as many CBs as you can catch; they are very different in my opinion. Also, holidays will not lose value, they are holidays, they will always have a big value, specially for newer players that cant get one, because lets face it, if this shop gets implemented, not everyone will be capable of buying some dragons in the times we have proposed, they were proposed to be the minimum to get one of those kind of eggs, but maybe in that time you may not get enough points for the dragon you want, and then you may have to wait for another year to buy them (being them only available for their respective holiday breeding season, of course).

~

The problem persist on players that might register in 5 or more years, making it that we will have to boost the quantity of unlockable holidays every many years just to make it so newer players just have to wait 3 years at most to get the possibility of buying the oldest holidays.

What about this idea? .w.

I have to agree with this. The Holidays displaying within their window is enough of a draw back on top of their 2 CB per scroll limit. Even with Halloween being limitless, there is the draw back of how much egg space are you willing to give up to have a ton of Halloween eggs. On top of that Store eggs will hopefully be untradable meaning there will be no way to market and profit from lets say CB Halloweens, or other CB dragons obtained by this method. On top of that Prices will/should be high enough to cause one to be a little cautions on how to spend ones points to obtain what they want.

Personally though, This whole store idea is still kind of bad. There have to be restrictions, prices, time limits, breed limits (as in what breeds are we gonna include), Scroll limits (How many of each can each player have?) and honestly that seems like more work that its worth.

At minimum for prizes, I feel that they can be given out it a different fashion with something like milestones where when a user his x milestone they get rewarded. Of course the milestone would have to be something like "Be a DC member for 1+ years" or "Reached x amount of cumulative views" Things like that. Once you hit that milestone you are rewarded with one of 6 prize dragons. Something like this still includes game play but it actually feels like a prize when you get them instead of "Oh Yeah I earned x amount of money and I can buy my self that trophy I never won but always wanted." It honestly feels like we're cheaping out with prizes. These milestones would be endless but you would only be able to unlock as many as 6 (any 6 but a limit of 6) because currently there are 6 prize dragons. The more prizes become available, the more things you can unlock.

In terms of holidays, why not a like have it like "Trade me one of these and I will give you one of these" Like lets say During holidays, along with the event you get a page to visit The holiday dragons. You get to pick whether you wanna visit The solstice, yulebuck, etc. You pick one and on their page is the image of that holiday dragon with an egg of its breed at its feet with some sort of message like "Hello travler. You've come all the way to see me. For that I will offer you a trade. Trade me [insert breed of holiday here] and I will give you one of my offspring." The breed they ask will be a holiday that is not their own and it will obviously have to be a bred one. It could be like "Trade me a Wrapping wing with 5 Days left and I will give you something nice" and if you oblige you get a CB holiday of its breed. Its a 1-2 day cool down so once you visit one holiday dragon, you cannot visit another. It would say something like "Having visited that previous holiday has tired you out, and you decide to rest in and try again tommorow."

You could offer any holiday egg you want, which means things like messy holidays or holiday breedins that went wrong things like that can be offered in exchange for a CB holiday egg. Lets say there is a 1-2 day cool down with only 1 egg per trade with a holiday, it means you will have to not only choose the eggs you offer wisely to keep the ones you really want, but as well keep an eye on space. This would help limit users while still allowing them to get what they want. Access to these could be limited to bronze trophies and over to ensure the user has had some time to familiarize themselves with DC have played some, and as such have some knowledge under their belt. I would make my own thread for this buuut this is a really out of nowhere suggestion that I feel could help replace this idea and make it less intrusive in terms of getting what we want.

I still don't think limits are necessary. The amount of points you can accumulate in a given time works as a limit. Egg space during holiday events works as a limit for holiday breeds, not to mention scroll limits. The price of an egg limits just how much you can buy.

For example, imagine the following scenario: With one year of playing daily, you can choose between the following:

• One prize dragon.
  • Three holiday dragons. (Ideally, one Vday, one Halloween and one Winter Holiday).
  • One regular rare (gold, silver, copper...)
  • 6 uncommons (unbreedables, trios, blusangs...)
  • 52 commons (or 104 blockers).
Do you really want to prevent someone from buying their 104th blocker a year just for the sake of limits? Is it really necessary to make sure someone doesn't buy a 2nd prize of kind x in their 2nd year (after implementation), even though, at the same time, they won't be able to buy any of the other prizes or a holly? Someone buying two hollies and one Val '09 won't be able to buy themselves a set of pumpkins, nor will they have any of the other shiny things in the shop this year. (Plus, they won't be able to do that again due to scroll limits.)

Is it really necessary to exclude commons from the shop? Or rares, even? Anybody buying a CB gold to complete their collection won't buy a prize dragon that year, nor will they buy a CB holiday.

As you can see from these examples, the pricing itself is the best limit, yet leaves everyone the choice to do with their points as they please. Balancing the prices of the various breeds will be challenging, but this system is easy to understand (buy what you want and can afford), offers players maximum freedom or choices yet limits them through the amount of points available to them.

The only other limit I feel is necessary is that shop eggs should be locked to their respective scroll.

Edited by olympe

Hmm..

When this migraine breaks, I need to go back through and sort through the million and one edits/suggestions and tweaks suggested for this thread. I really dont understand why it has to be more complicated than

Log out if you so choose.

Your action logs track what you do. Im sure its smart enough to figure out if people have done any actions over the course of the week that would count. Weekly caps are more fair than daily.

As for the comment a few posts back about holidays... There IS a point to making them available. However, I doubt that anyone remembers that early into this thread, it had been pointed out that perhaps things that have been out of circulation awhile (2+ years) would be added. Me, I dont get to do the Halloween hunts, and rarely finish the halloween event. I work a 4 day convention, sharing a connection with roughly 20k people because my phones internet seems to think I am in another country when I am there, unless I want to walk a few blocks into Detroit, on foot after my shifts (in the dark no less) to catch eggs. If halloween falls on Thursday, then I can catch them before I leave, but that is not the case this year. I only have last years because a mod was kind enough to give me one of each. I wont have this years, unless i can talk someone into grabbing me one or two. I am perfectly fine with having to wait a couple years to be able to earn them, because if it wasnt for my phone beliving I am in Canada and wanting to charge me insane data, I would be here. Other active users run into that same issue.

I am even perfectly cool with the idea of the store limiting me to just two, even after having to wait a few years for them to show up. I prefer to breed holidays from my own cbs, so that when i go on hunts for checker mates, im only asking for balloons (it can be surprisingly hard to convince people to breed balloons for you...)

My lineages arent worth anything to anyone BUT me. While I make do with the previous holidays I only have bred ones from, having a way to earn them gives me a reason to keep playing. This whole suggestions most basic point was to find a way to allow people to EARN things, their own way, in their own playstyle, in a way that supports anyones playstyle.

I am not a fan of tying it to trophys, daily play, number of dragons owned. I am a fan of being creative though in HOW we go about making them available. WHY do people want these eggs?

Normal, currently in cave eggs: People want the "cave" tag, for those pesky biome specific pairings. They want access to the ones they cant get for whatever reason (I have a crazy difficult time with seasonals, and balloons some months).

Uncommon eggs: some people like hoarding dinos and such. If thats what they want to do and they cant trade for them, they can earn them. In the long run catching them or trading for them is FAR cheaper that earning points. Hello drawback.

Rares: Other than holidays and prizes, I see absolutely no reason that cb metals should play a part in this idea. However, I can see why other people do. Doesn't particularly faze me, since I can barely give away second gens, and cb metals have very little value /to me/. I mostly give those away since I cant trade off babies.

Prizes: I've honestly lost interest in them. My original reasoning for wanting them was purely because I cant track down the balloon offspring I need for my lines.. and i know other people out there are having a hard time finding the fails they need as well. I had hoped by making the suggestion that it would be considered that prizes SHOULD be retired, but not made unavailable. This option allows them to stay, without being the main focus for raffles. I would far rather see a new prize happen in the numbers it takes to balance out BOTH types of prizes, than see just these prizes continue to be the main focus. This way ANYONE who wants them can earn them, and the raffles can be fun again, with NEW things to look forward to. With HMs out of the running, I no longer have interest on my end to win, and it shows in my event participation.

Risking a double post poke here, but to avoid the giant wall of text leading to this thought being ignored, im gonna risk it.

The "store" and "currency" options of wording are still tripping people up after all this time. A trading station has been mentioned multiple times though. Would a Wandering Trader make you guys happy?

It wouldnt be available all the time, to every user but should rotate frequently enough that everyone gets a chance at least once a month (perhaps a quarter of the population has access at any given time.. or everyone can have access at once, but it might make things a little funky in the trading arena)

Instead of currency or points.. lets stick to the economy we ALREADY HAVE.

Lets say the trader has 20 eggs to choose from.

15 commons (varies)

3 uncommon

1 "rare"

1 prize equivalent rare IF current ratios will allow them to happen (holiday, prize, retired if allowed, HMs if bossman can be convinced to allow it)

Some weeks may have different numbers of things than others, and it might not always be what you are hoping to get. How do you get them?

The trader will TELL you. "If you bring me an egg of this species and an egg of that one, you can have this." "I'm in need of a red hatchling, would you happen to have one?" "I actually need a caveborn seasonal, do you have one?"

People forget, we treat our dragons themselves as currency. Would you guys be more willing to trade in various types of dragon combinations, in order to get those eggs, than you are with dealing with point specific currency?

They would still STAY untradable, as has already been established. The limit is purely "can you breed this, or catch it for me before I leave town in x days?"

I still don't think limits are necessary. The amount of points you can accumulate in a given time works as a limit. Egg space during holiday events works as a limit for holiday breeds, not to mention scroll limits. The price of an egg limits just how much you can buy.

For example, imagine the following scenario: With one year of playing daily, you can choose between the following:

One prize dragon.

Three holiday dragons. (Ideally, one Vday, one Halloween and one Winter Holiday).

One regular rare (gold, silver, copper...)

6 uncommons (unbreedables, trios, blusangs...)

52 commons (or 104 blockers).

Do you really want to prevent someone from buying their 104th blocker a year just for the sake of limits? Is it really necessary to make sure someone doesn't buy a 2nd prize of kind x in their 2nd year (after implementation), even though, at the same time, they won't be able to buy any of the other prizes or a holly?  Someone buying two hollies and one Val '09 won't be able to buy themselves a set of pumpkins, nor will they have any of the other shiny things in the shop this year. (Plus, they won't be able to do that again due to scroll limits.)

Is it really necessary to exclude commons from the shop? Or rares, even? Anybody buying a CB gold to complete their collection won't buy a prize dragon that year, nor will they buy a CB holiday.

As you can see from these examples, the pricing itself is the best limit, yet leaves everyone the choice to do with their points as they please.  Balancing the prices of the various breeds will be challenging, but this system is easy to understand (buy what you want and can afford), offers players maximum freedom or choices yet limits them through the amount of points available to them.

The only other limit I feel is necessary is that shop eggs should be locked to their respective scroll.

I think one of the major problem people had with addint a numeric value to anything other that prizes and holidays (maybe CB Hybrids/alts) was that once you start giving a numeric value to something it eventually becomes a staple and people will start to value trades based on that numeric value as opposed to personal preference and situation/circumstance. It starts to give a currency value that was never really meant to have such a value in the firs place.

Everyone values these eggs differently. It allows for a dynamic trading system that caters to playstyles and case by case trades. Adding a numeric value to certain eggs could affect that.

Edited by AnanoKimi

I haven't been by in a while, and was reading page 39 (yeah, I know, behind) and was thinking about this "backtrack through the holidays" idea...What if instead of making users buy dragons they don't want (the option listed) the system allowed them to permanently turn down a breed?

i.e. person joined in 2012 (like me) and so would be first offered the 2011 halloween dragon (I would actually be on the Despis, real life took me away for that season) if they decided they wanted something else more than they would want to ever have that dragon, they could turn it down and get to the next one. Anywho, I am at the end of my library time so I'll be about later.

I think one of the major problem people had with addint a numeric value to anything other that prizes and holidays (maybe CB Hybrids/alts) was that once you start giving a numeric value to something it eventually becomes a staple and people will start to value trades based on that numeric value as opposed to personal preference and situation/circumstance. It starts to give a currency value that was never really meant to have such a value in the firs place.

Everyone values these eggs differently. It allows for a dynamic trading system that caters to playstyles and case by case trades. Adding a numeric value to certain eggs could affect that.

^^^^^ Thisthisthisthisthis. I don't think non-holidays/non-prizes in any shop would benefit the game in any way--it would simply transform it into something extremely different from how it has always been and forever change gameplay. The free market setup would be gone as well, as things would have official values, rather than what the players personally value things at.

~

If the prices were set so that you could only get one egg a season, then I wouldn't see any need to put the limits I proposed on the shop. However, I was under the impression that that was not at all the case, and that it would be relatively easy to collect past holidays' CBs, which is why I suggested limiting when you could purchase them. If they're pricey enough, I suppose that solves the issue. (Side note: I think prices would be by age; increase ____ points for each year it's been since the holiday to preserve rarity).

I still really, really, really dislike the idea of adding a shop, but I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if you could only get one holiday a season. I would hope things like shop Solstices would remain how they were at initial release, though--no CB rainbow-less wings.

Edited by PieMaster