Thuban

Trader's Canyon

Cyradis: Im not a fan of having a "day cap".

The Games themselves would be limited in how many times they could be played a day (in a previous example, I used a simple game that earns 25 points per time played, playable 3 times a day tops).

Assuming theres a harder (more time consuming) game and an easy, fast game, you could simply lpay the 25 point game three times (cap) and the harder game once (lets say its worth 75 points)

The math I did earlier, with ONLY the 75 points available a day (and placing prizes at 3000 points) it would take 40 days to buy just one prize. With the second game being playable once a day for the same amount, it would drop it to 20 days for the "grinders" to be able to get ONE prize. A bit less than a year of dedication on their parts. Slower players might take a bit longer, but they would still be able to get them all, in way less time than you are suggesting.

I do NOT want to see anything in the store that is released in cave. The ONLY exception to that is CB alts (vine and black) because they do not have a different egg to alert you to the fact they are alt, and because as (a presumably cheaper) egg, it would be fun to have the chance of it hatching regular vs alt. As for commons and uncommons.. i would rather see breeds dedicated to being in the store, rather than released in cave. There would be some serious competition here, because it would be similar to trying to get a holiday dragon released.. but theres room for some unreleased dragons to happen in there i think.

I do think that how much things cost should be highly based on their apparent rarity (and holidays being released only during specific windows has been covered). CB hollys would cost more than say.. cb solstaces due to how old they are. Halloweens would have a decent price (but wouldnt be limited to the 2 cbs per scroll period that others are). If Hollies are more rare than CB prizes, their prices should reflect that. In the end, that would be on tj, and the spriter to figure out. Im not going to guess rarities.

The points people earn, are theirs to spend however they want. If theres a limit on how many of something people can have, then once they purchase the limit, they disappear. EVEN IF THE EGG DIES OR LEAVES THE SCROLL.

Only being able to play a game x times IS a day-cap. You can only get so many points in any given day... Either by playing it only 3 times or by playing it 5 times but only 3 "count".

But what if someone likes playing the min-game, just cuz? If they can only play 3 times a day, then... THey can't play it more.

But if the amount of points they can earn each day is capped, then they can continue playing the game as long as they want, but they only get the *benefit* of those first x points.

And 40 days is too short. I could theoretically earn 9 CB Prizes a year, and reach the limit of 12 (2 of each color) in less than a year and a half. I wouldn't *mind*, mind you, but I don't think that's the intent!

Released in the cave or not... Like I said, if it is in the store, I'd want it capped and untradeable. If its not, no biggie.

I just think the CB Holidays should all cost a lot, and yea, a sliding scale based on years-ago-released makes sense.

And I still prefer untradeable from the store, but its not a biggie. tongue.gif I'm just picturing the Chaos a trade for a CB Prize would cause. >.<

Cheers!

C4.

I just want to say, I am definitely against any sort of in game currency at all. So I'm going to have to be a minority here and say I'm not a fan of this suggestion.

Games like that drive me absolutely insane, and I believe that is the only reason I am still here on DC, over 6 years later, the longest I've ever lasted on an online game.

Because almost all others have that in game currency crap and I can't stand it. At all. =\

I absolutely loathe the whole idea of "buying" dragons and ingame-currency. Why do you want people to play a load of mini games instead of DC? I want to play DC, not mini games, but if dragons are only availabe through mini games, playing the games to maintain a complete scroll is practically mandatory.

~Never before released in cave dragons that wont be released in cave and are only available through the point system. These wouldnt necessarily be rare, but it would give the rare dragons sitting around gathering dust a way to be used (even if they end up being dropped down to uncommon rather than rare to pull it off). These could cycle out over the course of a year, once x number have been purchased overall, the following month a new one could happen.

And even worse, cycling dragons out would also to force players to play games within a certain time span.

Probably I'm missing something here but why the day-cap? Why not a weekly or monthly cap? Some of us can have hectic lives that would allow us to play for long time e.g. during the weekends but not at all during the weekdays.

Well, i may have misunderstood your post. It looked like you were suggesting that you could only gain 1 per (x number of days).

Because games dont exist, and because nothing has a price value, I used easy to work with numbers for my examples. I freak out when I see weird numbers and percentages and stuff, so im aiming for simple concepts that would be expanded on by the people who actually would have to put this together (TJ and spriters would do the maths)

Using complicated numbers to explain the basic idea, would just turn people off to the idea, even if they like the idea itself. There is actually some method to my madness.

Simple game, 25 points a game, capped at 75 points per day (per game if there is more than one on this level)

Medium game, maybe 75 points playable once per day

Hard game: honestly.. i have no idea why we would have a hard one, but perhaps there could be one, playable once a week for an extra 200 points or something.

With those numbers, you would need to account for the day to day caps of 150 points PLUS the potential of 200 more points a week when picking point values for "in store" dragons. You would then also need to account for rarity, and how many of each thing tj realistically wants to see happen in game, before choosing prices.

With only one game in the example (playable at a cap of 75 points a day) then spending 40 days saving points for ONE dragon, isnt that bad. If there are multiple games that are providing the same cap, the price has to go up accordingly. This is why I was sticking to one game, one price in my example originally tongue.gif

Hahaha, I'm an engineer and numbers are my thing.

Ok, so for the season stuff, I think it should take only half of the season to get it, if you hit the max-points per day each day. For Prizes, I think it should take between a quarter of a year and a year to get each one. So that it rewards very-long term play.

And I agree, the points-per-day needs to be kept low, so people only need to spend 5 to 15 minutes a day to reach the max for the day.

Cheers!

C4.

I like this suggestion,, it's very well thought out. I'd also like to see these games short and relatively easy, so everyone can play them and wouldn't take up much time, just an extra to help pass the time while waiting for your eggs to hatch.

I really like this idea, though like others have said earlier I think some of the dragons that can be bought really need to cost quite a lot. Thinking especially about the prize ones then. They've long been one of the rarest dragons you can get on DC (as CBs that is) and they should really stay that way, it´s part of their charm I think. No idea as to what they should cost (numbers aren't my strong point tongue.gif ) but it should take a long time and lots of dedication to get them.

I said so before and I'm still of the opinion that it would be great for users to be able to gain rare/unique dragons in a way that does not mean you have to sit in the cave for endless hours and hope to get lucky. And, even with the raffle, with breeding (no egg, refusal, no interest...) and some BSAs (influence, summon...), even trading (having on hand what the other person wants, finding an offer you're interested in,...) there's always some luck involved. Having one way of obtaining dragons that does not involve luck at all would be refreshening.

Why? Because we all know that luck is a fickle mistress. Let's take Summon as an example: Back when the BSA was introduced, some people summoned twice - and had two GoNs to show for their effort. Others laid claim to 150+ Summons, and some people still sport the "Failure is all I summon." badge. Personally, I prefer to put more work into obtaining something if I know that I'm guaranteed that I will get a reward eventually than get easy raffle tickets only to lose time and again.

However, I do want to remind you all of an old topic where the ability to actually buy eggs with any kind of in-game currency was strongly veto'ed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, regarding implementation: Of course, ratios would have to be taken into account - but I think that this can be done with a cap (no more than 1 CB shimmer/tinsel/gold/silver per player per year...) and prices that represent the rarity of the breed according to the ratios.

Also, I'm all for allowing CB hybrids, breed-onlys (geodes, colored stripes...) and/or alts as prizes, please without the luck of the draw. (My alt vine/alt black ratios are terrible - and the ones I have were mostly bred during a flood! *shudders*). With hybrids (+geodes), I don't see any problem with the ratios because these breeds don't seem all that much overbred to me. If demand is too high, TJ can always adjust the prices. The same could be said about stripes. Alts, however, might be problematic unless TJ has them on a fixed ratio (one alt out of every X blacks bred, rolled for every single breeding), but I doubt that's the case right now. Value-wise, I have absolutely no idea where to put CB hybrids/alts and breed-only dragons.

Frills and Bright Pinks would also be nice additions to the pool, if the artists agree or permission is granted by default. Maybe even some of the "old golds"? (I know at least my daughter would be beside herself.) Even old holiday dragons (during their respective breeding windows) are an option, as long as scroll limits aren't being surpassed.

I also think that these "points" shouldn't be transfer-able between different accounts no matter what, or we'd get all the problems that arise with a full economy based on in-game money (aka "points")

While I'm not a fan of the mechanic in general, I'm not aversed to the point where I would say I oppose this suggestion.

But I feel there are three things that need to be done:

1) the eggs acquired this way should be non-tradeable; I think it would skew things in favour of the dedicated players even more. (I consider myself in that category, which is to say I think making them tradeable would benefit me, but unfairly so.)

2) the currency should not be tradeable by itself. While I'd love to be able to give currency to someone saving up for something, if it becomes tradeable, the trade market as a whole will start exchanging eggs for currency and vice versa, and while there's nothing wrong with that, for me personally that would ruin much of the appeal of Dragon Cave.

3) absolutely no to-be-retired sprites, please. sad.gif Bringing back sprites via this system sounds nice; using it as a way to create more exclusives really doesn't sit right with me, given the community as a whole. I could probably live with it, but people keep fighting against this and I think it's reasonable to respect the general sentiment that retiring sprites is not all that fun. Starkly limited edition dragons would be snatched up by the dedicated players (see #1) and become de-facto prize dragons. Please no. sad.gif

Otherwise, I'd say knock yourselves out. I love the idea of making otherwise unavailable things available again, and this is a reasonable way to go about it. smile.gif

I agree, any "currency" or "points" needs to be non-tradeable and only redeemable in the special-store.

Cheers!

C4.

~Never before released in cave dragons that wont be released in cave and are only available through the point system. These wouldn't necessarily be rare, but it would give the rare dragons sitting around gathering dust a way to be used (even if they end up being dropped down to uncommon rather than rare to pull it off). These could cycle out over the course of a year, once x number have been purchased overall, the following month a new one could happen.

Absolutely opposed to this bit. ANY dragon introduced by a system like this needs to be available to every player, whether or not they have the time or ability to play a game. Otherwise you are just back to the issue with the raffles - some people can't get them, because they are effectively exclusives. Which is how we got into all these discussions in the first place.

I do have time - but I would prefer to have a life, and having to play endless mini-games to keep up with getting all the dragons on my scroll would make the game FAR less appealing. If this - then all the dragons awarded need to be HM style - or even the existing prizes - but NOT ones exclusive to this new thing.

I'm willing to bet it would work fine with CB hybrids and alts; CB Hollies, and even other CB past holidays and the like - and there would be far less acrrued drama.

I'm not actually keen on the idea, but that way I could tolerate (and ignore, probably) it.

I agree, any "currency" or "points" needs to be non-tradeable and only redeemable in the special-store.

Cheers!

C4.

Agreed!

I like this idea! With a few of the same caveats others have mentioned:

1 - The dragons earned must be non-tradeable. Otherwise how would you impose the cap? If someone can keep buying, say, CB Holly eggs and trading them off then the whole two-per-scroll thing never comes in to play and one person is still "hogging all the goodies"

2 - Any dragons (sprites, specifically) that are available through this must either already exist in the game or must breed true. Like Rally Vincent pointed out, I would not ever want the mini-games to be "mandatory" by forcing people to play as the only way to get certain dragons. It should be a fun optional way for people to acquire rares, but not ever the ONLY way to obtain certain dragons. (not accounting for lineage length... I'm OK with people having special CBs, like prizes and CB alts, etc... as long as the sprites are still collectible in some way... I'm also one who HATES exclusive/unobtainable/retired sprites)

I side with the "No, Thanks".

It seems like an interesting idea, but there are some serious downsides, for me it opens a door (incidentally, also the door I can envision many users will walk out and leave the game). It introduces a currency into the game, makes certain things exclusive, benefits people with a lot of time on their hand above those who do not and it is basically "click button - get egg", even if you have a lag in between where you collect points, so it is a sudden egg creation.

Even though with my crappy connection, I would actually be one who could benefit from it, I still think it is not a good idea.

I just want to say, I am definitely against any sort of in game currency at all. So I'm going to have to be a minority here and say I'm not a fan of this suggestion.

Games like that drive me absolutely insane, and I believe that is the only reason I am still here on DC, over 6 years later, the longest I've ever lasted on an online game.

Because almost all others have that in game currency crap and I can't stand it. At all. =\

This about sums up my views on the manner :3

I absolutely loathe the whole idea of "buying" dragons and ingame-currency. Why do you want people to play a load of mini games instead of DC? I want to play DC, not mini games, but if dragons are only available through mini games, playing the games to maintain a complete scroll is practically mandatory.

And even worse, cycling dragons out would also to force players to play games within a certain time span.

Yeah, these are basically my feelings on the suggestion. I don't like it at all. Sorry. v.v"

ETA: Add Tiki's quote on top of Rally's and you definitely have my feelings on this suggestion.

Edited by birdzgoboom

Could you guys explain to me how "bonus points" that can't be traded is a currency? If its something that can only be used in a certain store on-site, and never transferred to anyone else, then I'm just not getting how it acts as a currency?

Cheers!

C4.

Could you guys explain to me how "bonus points" that can't be traded is a currency? If its something that can only be used in a certain store on-site, and never transferred to anyone else, then I'm just not getting how it acts as a currency?

Cheers!

C4.

It may not be an interpersonal currency, but it counts as one between the player and the game. You are trading in those points for a dragon, so you're in effect buying an egg with those points and those who don't fancy in-game currency will not be in favor of obtaining dragons this way.

Cheers!

C4.

A currency in the most specific use of the word refers to money in any form when in actual use or circulation as a medium of exchange, especially circulating banknotes and coins.

A much more general use of the word currency is anything that is used in any circumstances, as a medium of exchange.

So technically even if the points cannot be traded amongst users, they can be traded or can be exchanged for items in this case the dragon eggs. I believe this applies in terms of exchanging 'money', or in this case points, for services and products.

Edited for grammar 3

Edited by AnanoKimi

Anything that you trade for anything else can be considered a "currency", actually. Way back when, they used salt.

So right now, our dragons are themselves acting as the currency in the game, so we already have a "currency", its just not very mobile and grows up.

So still not getting what people's problem with this is. tongue.gif

Cheers!

C4.

Not sure. I just know I was trying to shine some light as to why people kept calling it currency :3

it is an interesting concept, but how to make it functional without stagnating, without making it a chore and at the same time making it a fun challenge.

Prize dragons probably should be left off the list, although my understanding is, winners of the prize dragons could obtain the limit of the store without a personalty. I still say leave them off.

Holiday Dragon CB's I would hope would be maintained similarly to how it is counted to everybody. So in spite of someone reaching a HM Holly, they could only have two max, and the store would cut off at One.

Alt dragons - Interesting concept. I think a prize of an Alt may be likely the best idea without causign too much drama. Still allowing the HM winner +1 or perhaps same as the holiday I suggested Max of 2.

Still, I do not have time to spend toying with games in order to obtain items.

I definitely would like to see these prizes not trade-able. I would liken the points to tickets at Chuckey Cheese. (where you never have enough to get what you want anyway).

As it Stands, I sit on the fence, netural. I am neither for or against, I am simply unsure how this could work reasonably and I am not sure how it wouldn't.

I really, really dislike games with stores. I definitely do not want prizes (in the form of raffles and/or a game) and a store. Particularly not one with exclusives/discontinueds/things not available directly from the cave. Definitely not with unreleased dragons. For one - how is that decided? It's good enough for the store but not a release? It's rejected for the site but added to the store anyway? wut. Definitely not spriter alts, which I feel is extremely unfair to the artists. No dragons you can't grab in cave.

For me, this is a game breaking suggestion. If we include unreleased dragons and etc., I just feel the majority of attention will go to this new economy instead of the actual game and new releases and holidays may slide to the side.

Our economy right now is our dragons. I'd prefer dragons at least stay the strongest media of currency.

Add me to the no column for this suggestion.

I absolutely loathe the whole idea of "buying" dragons and ingame-currency. Why do you want people to play a load of mini games instead of DC? I want to play DC, not mini games, but if dragons are only availabe through mini games, playing the games to maintain a complete scroll is practically mandatory.

^ This is exactly how I feel about this idea. I don't like the idea of "buying" dragons. Not at all.