Thuban

Trader's Canyon

Clearly just ignoring the situation has created a lot of ill will and drama anyway.

Obviously just a “no” without good reasoning behind it will cause anger because, well, it’s stupid. But a “no” with some logic behind it would be a bit easier to swallow. (Although admittedly, I don’t think there IS a good reason to deny this... maybe if something drastic and different like making rares more common and giving away more prizes happened... which I think isn’t as good as this, but would at least be something)

Just now, Jazeki said:

@angelicdragonpuppy TJ mentioned somewhere that he would possibly consider increasing the number of prizes given out, but that shouldn't equate to "no trader canyon."

Yah, I'd still rather see this. I'm just saying that if he DID just say "no, won't happen," saying he was doing other things to address the issue (ie more common rares / more prizes being given out) would be much better than nothing.

Basically,

Trader's Canyon >>>>>>> Doing other things to alleviate the problems of rare / prize availability >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Doing nothing

XD 

Yup. And I like your flow chart. Lol. I think the main concern is why it would be a no in the first place.

Edited by Jazeki

Does anyone else want a copy of the full fluff that was removed to play with? If so, toss me a pm (please tell me if you want the straight copy or the pretty nested version as the nested one is more difficult to edit...). 

I'll be busy the next couple of days (three shifts, fixing a car and working on cutting a tree down) but im around for a few more hours tonight.

I've really been contemplating whether to post this here or not, mainly for fear lmao, but I suppose I should.

I'm just really not in favour of any sort of store at all. This game entices me much more than any other game for the sole reason that it doesn't have a store and a load of add-ons. I really appreciate that it doesn't have any sort of currency, or any sort of buy-your-way-in whatsoever. The game is simple and chance-based, meaning you can stumble across something you never thought you'd see and it be amazing. I really wouldn't feel happy knowing I could find an awesome CB Gold but knowing that someone could just farm shards and buy one themselves. This game is based around hunting and searching and being amazed when you see something cool, and admittedly frustrated when you someone else grabs it, but hey that's the charm! You just want it even more the next time! Needless to say, potions are a no-no in my eyes - I'd just be really sad to see one of the only unique games without a store succumb to one, I guess. It's functioned perfectly without one for years, I just think it would change it way too much if one were to be implemented now. I'd be way put off playing if this were to happen.

Again, I apologise for being a massive killjoy, but I just thought it was important to show in this thread that there are some who oppose it rather than a 100% consensus. ԅ[ •́ ﹏ •̀ ]و 

1 minute ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I've really been contemplating whether to post this here or not, mainly for fear lmao, but I suppose I should.

I'm just really not in favour of any sort of store at all. This game entices me much more than any other game for the sole reason that it doesn't have a store and a load of add-ons. I really appreciate that it doesn't have any sort of currency, or any sort of buy-your-way-in whatsoever. The game is simple and chance-based, meaning you can stumble across something you never thought you'd see and it be amazing. I really wouldn't feel happy knowing I could find an awesome CB Gold but knowing that someone could just farm shards and buy one themselves. This game is based around hunting and searching and being amazed when you see something cool, and admittedly frustrated when you someone else grabs it, but hey that's the charm! You just want it even more the next time! Needless to say, potions are a no-no in my eyes - I'd just be really sad to see one of the only unique games without a store succumb to one, I guess. It's functioned perfectly without one for years, I just think it would change it way too much if one were to be implemented now. I'd be way put off playing if this were to happen.

Again, I apologise for being a massive killjoy, but I just thought it was important to show in this thread that there are some who oppose it rather than a 100% consensus. ԅ[ •́ ﹏ •̀ ]و 

Don't be scared! You're likely to get some counter-arguments (as I'm about to do XD), but no one should be mean to you ;)

Anyway--might I ask how long you've been playing? If it's been a long time and you're still happy with the status quo, I'd say you've been fortunate! If you're a new player, though, I think you might not have had time to see how annoying the current system is.

I've been playing for 10+ years, and almost all of my CB metals were from (very lucky!) trades. I don't have the time to spend hours in front of a computer staring for a rare that might pop once an hour only to be seized by one of a few thousand other players. I've got work and things to do! DC is a really nice, casual game, but that's just not true of rares. I get that rares are, well, rare, but some of them are ridiculously so to the point that I think it hurts things. Coppers and Zyus and Xenos are pretty hard to come by, but I can still see them and catch them! They feel rewarding. But Silvers / Golds are scarce to the point of almost never being seen. And then Prizes... well, you know.

But if we had a shop, all of these things would suddenly become obtainable to people who don't have time to hunt for hours every day, or have crappy computer connections. And Prizes would actually be EARNABLE for the first time (save for the first event when they came out, but that was... a strange case, haha). Again, I've been fortunate enough to get CB Metals, but I've seen lots of older players with no such luck. A store would be a nice way to reward them for their efforts while still keeping balance. One rare every 5-6 months is still a TON of time in a simple game like this to get one critter. And there wouldn't be farming going on, because grinding has been very carefully arranged to not happen. Not grinding, not farming... just playing the game, being rewarded for your activity, and getting a shiny twice a year as payoff for all the time invested. :) 

I have 5 CB golds. All were gifts out of the blue. I have NEVER caught one. I'd love to be able to buy some by playing.

1 hour ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

This game entices me much more than any other game for the sole reason that it doesn't have a store and a load of add-ons. I really appreciate that it doesn't have any sort of currency, or any sort of buy-your-way-in whatsoever.

That is something I have always enjoyed about this game, and something I worked really hard to keep in place when the idea to do this thread came up. Can you expand on how this suggestion violates that view for you? It may actually lead to some changes if there are loopholes in the logic we havent considered...

There is no real money, pay to win aspect. There is no chance of grinding to give some players a higher advantage over others, and to get a cb gold would take 6 months of playing the way people already do to achieve. The point caps for a week can be achieved in a day, in as little as twenty minutes of normal, day to day play if that is all you are focusing on. Potions arent a part of this, they are listed as a potential expansion point in response to Tj specifically asking for potential expansion points. Everything in the first post outside of the questions I added a few days ago is a direct response to things he specifically asked for in a bare bones summary. Potential expansion points are NOT part of the core idea, just there as a "directions we can go with this later" point of reference. I think I'll go toss a disclaimer on that part though, so thank you.

Edit:
Ok, so I've changed some things in the initial breakdown to give a bit more context to the idea and what we are trying to accomplish. I don't care for having the giant chart in there, but it helped to explain how we were going about earning the points. Are there any other changes needed that you guys see?

And about the questions: I had hoped to be able to manipulate them into some kind of a form or spreadsheet to get them into an easy to follow format, but I fail at that kind of organization. If someone wants to organize that data, please do. If not, I'll just toss a note on there for where the responses can be found.

Edited by Thuban

6 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I'm sorry that you felt wary about posting here, most of us are very nice and would never want you to feel uncomfortable posting... We are just passionate! 

I completely understand the points that you've made, and I definitely agree (to a point)... Part of the charm of DC is that it's rather simple, there aren't tons of bells and whistles and mini-games and side-quests and a bajillion different things to do in order to feel like you've completed something in the game. That is definitely a huge reason I've been here as long as I have (and a huge reason I left many other sites). And yes, it does feel really really amazing when you are able to grab that breed that you never thought you'd be able to grab.... IF that ever actually happens. If you have been able to experience that feeling, congratulations! You are one of the lucky ones. 

Not everyone is that lucky. Some people will spend *years* hunting and hunting and hunting and *never* even *see* certain breeds, much less actually catch them. Hunting like crazy for a super-rare dragon can be fun and exciting for awhile, but there comes a point when it's just not fun at all anymore. It's frustrating and upsetting and feels completely hopeless, when you've spent multiple years hunting every chance you get and hardly ever even *see* that breed. There comes a time when the game starts to feel very lopsided, favoring users with faster reflexes and faster internet and just plain better luck, and you start to feel like certain dragons are just completely unobtainable to you and you don't even want to try anymore because you've been trying for years with nothing to show for it. 

It's *wonderful* if the luck and chance of hunting rares makes you feel so awesome, and it's doubley-wonderful if it actually pays off for you. But it doesn't pay off for everyone. Ever. Imo, that's what this store idea is for, it's for those players who've been at this for years trying their hardest and no matter what they do they just *can't* get certain dragons. The store is a way to balance that... it doesn't make rares grabbed in-cave any less valuable, it doesn't make rares suddenly easy to get, but it makes them *available* to people who otherwise literally have no chance. For example, I have been playing for almost 10 years now and I have *never* even *seen* a CB Gold in the biomes. Never. It's not fun and exciting for me to hunt for a CB Gold, because after so many years of never even seeing one, I've just given up. It's just not something that will ever happen for me. And that frustrates me and kind of makes me mad. With the store, I would not just be able to grab a CB Gold right away or hoard tons of them or anything, but I would be able to work towards them and *do* something to actually finally get one, instead of refreshing the biomes for literally years and still having no chance at all.

On 7 March 2018 at 6:17 PM, Thuban said:

That is something I have always enjoyed about this game, and something I worked really hard to keep in place when the idea to do this thread came up. Can you expand on how this suggestion violates that view for you? It may actually lead to some changes if there are loopholes in the logic we havent considered.

I mean, I feel like that is quite self-explanatory: the game has a cave, and it has your scroll. You use your scroll to check on your dragons, and the cave to catch said dragons. There are 6 biomes in which you can grab eggs, and an abandoned pile where you can grab other people's eggs. Nothing more. That's it. The addition of a store would mean you have to do things in order to gain shards, and a whole store. I mean, admittedly, it's only one page of the site, but I still feel that a certain element of the site's lovable simplicity will have been lost. I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this, but I always find myself comparing DC to Tales of Ostler, and how while I love playing ToO, DC always comes out on top for me because it doesn't have a store, and activity pages, and other pages for this and that... A store, imo, belongs on other sites. I feel it'd be a pretty pivotal, game-changing addition to DC, and, in my eyes, a negative one for these reasons. (Oh, and don't worry, I would never expect you guys to come up with and condone microtransactions on DC XD)

I also kinda feel like it taking 6 months to be able to buy a Gold to be a little... Forgive me for a lack of a better word, redundant? I'm sure that if you searched the biomes enough for 6 months, you'd probably come across one? Admittedly I never really committed as much to cave-hunting, but my sister, who has only been on the site since December, found a Gold the other day... Maybe she's lucky, idk, but she's more committed to cave-hunting than I am and she's been doing just fine. I might just be missing the point, as I can see that a lot of you who've been here for years have never found a CB.

Either way, I guess I just feel like being able to buy your way in doesn't really fit into DC. It's always been a game of effort and challenge - like in Pokemon, how you have to wait until you become the Champion to find Mewtwo... You can't just buy him with enough Pokedollars. You have to scour and search for those Golds and Silvers, and it's great when you finally get one. Like, I've never found a CB of either - I've never even traded for one or been gifted one - but I still wouldn't like to buy one, I'd rather find one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 7 March 2018 at 5:25 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Anyway--might I ask how long you've been playing? If it's been a long time and you're still happy with the status quo, I'd say you've been fortunate! If you're a new player, though, I think you might not have had time to see how annoying the current system is.

I get that rares are, well, rare, but some of them are ridiculously so to the point that I think it hurts things.

think I've been playing since 2012, around then. I don't know if that makes me old or new, but it feels long enough to say that I've seen plenty of the system and I'm still cool with it.

And perhaps rares are too rare, but then isn't that something to bring up as a separate point? Like make rarer things actually accessible rather than coming up with a whole game-changing addition to the site? I apologise if that comes off a bit too harshly, but I just find the concept a little strange.

Either way, I understand I'm majorly in the minority here, but like I say, I'm just adding my opinion.

5 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

<snip>1.That's it. The addition of a store would mean you have to do things in order to gain shards, <snip>

2. I also kinda feel like it taking 6 months to be able to buy a Gold to be a little... Forgive me for a lack of a better word, redundant? I'm sure that if you searched the biomes enough for 6 months, you'd probably come across one? <snip>

3. Either way, I guess I just feel like being able to buy your way in doesn't really fit into DC. It's always been a game of effort and challenge<snip>

4. Either way, I understand I'm majorly in the minority here, but like I say, I'm just adding my opinion.

<snip>ped out everything here but the specific things I wanted to respond to and added red numbers to refer to my responses.

1. The ideas discussed for how to obtain shards were to do the things you do anyway, like... idk, catching eggs. Not mini-games or somesuch. There have been ideas for ways to obtain extra shards through various methods (which should probably not be considered right now but go into ideas to expand the store once/if it's in place) but the core has been to play the game and earn shards doing what we're doing anyway. Not extra activities. There is also no plans to add a way to pay for shards with real bucks in this thread. On the contrary, most of us have been opposed to that idea.

2. One of the very points brought up is how many people have searched the biomes for many years without getting a CB gold for themselves, often without even seeing one. One reason could be lack of time to search but slow, old computer equipment, slow internet, slow reflexes are also factors.

3. Again, "buy your way"? How does earning through play constitute buying your way into DC? This comment I don't understand. Unless you're somehow referring to some idea of using real money, which as I said is not part of this suggestion.

4. It's great that you're expressing your opinion. We need people to tell us why they don't agree with what's being suggested. We are, of course, going to offer ways or reasons to counter your objections, but if we all feel comfortable offering counter opinions with civility then hopefully a sound proposal can be offered.

@RealWilliamShakespeare: I've been here for 8+ years now, and I yet have to catch my first CB gold. (I got two gifted from very generous people, and another traded for a bunch of Zyu hatchies.) Admittedly, I don't really try anymore because there's no use anyway, but you get the idea. I did, however, manage a couple of CB silvers on my own.

It's been suggested time and again to reduce rarity for the very rare breeds, but as soon as someone dares to speak up about it, there's this whole bunch of accomplished players telling them off that "rares are rare for a reason", whatever that reason may be, and that they like it that way. :rolleyes: Been there, done that, got told off. Been there again, supported it, got told off again. And again. Forgive me for not trying yet another time.

57 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I also kinda feel like it taking 6 months to be able to buy a Gold to be a little... Forgive me for a lack of a better word, redundant? I'm sure that if you searched the biomes enough for 6 months, you'd probably come across one? Admittedly I never really committed as much to cave-hunting, but my sister, who has only been on the site since December, found a Gold the other day... Maybe she's lucky, idk, but she's more committed to cave-hunting than I am and she's been doing just fine. I might just be missing the point, as I can see that a lot of you who've been here for years have never found a CB.

Coming across one isn't the same as catching. In my 9 years of playing, I've seen I think three CB golds in biomes. I have caught none. I was lucky to have been gifted two. Like you, I would love to catch one, but until that happens, I would also like the possibility of being able to earn one. 

1 hour ago, Jazeki said:

Coming across one isn't the same as catching. In my 9 years of playing, I've seen I think three CB golds in biomes. I have caught none. I was lucky to have been gifted two. Like you, I would love to catch one, but until that happens, I would also like the possibility of being able to earn one. 

Quoted for DEFINITE truth.

I dunno if I have ever seen a cb gold in the cave but I'd likely not be quick enough to catch it if I did.

Seeing emphatically does not equal catching.

I have two cb golds...a male and a female...but those were gifted and traded for.

It'd be awesome to catch my own cb golds and silvers and such. And guess what? Even IF I could also save up to get  a gold, it would STILL be awesome...at least to me. I dunno...I don't think the possibility of earning through regular active play would take that away as much as,say, being able to throw real money at it. Which as we said was DEFINITELY voted down for this idea.

Bottom line...some of us feel we have !little hope of actually CATCHING a gold, for example, in cave.

Edited by JavaTigress

I think being able to earn certain dragons that are difficult to catch in cave would be great, as long as it's still suitably challenging and doesn't make the game too easy. The timeframe listed looks good to me.

Echoing what others have said about the difficulty catching CB golds, especially for people who have limited time and/or patience and don't enjoy sitting in the biomes for long stretches of time. Personally, my hunting is much quicker than that - I go into biomes/AP and immediately grab whatever commons I currently need to get to my scroll goal. I don't hunt for rares. So for someone like me, this option would be great, because a 'six months' is better than a 'never at all'. :P 

3 hours ago, Fiona said:

<snip>ped out everything here but the specific things I wanted to respond to and added red numbers to refer to my responses.

1. The ideas discussed for how to obtain shards were to do the things you do anyway, like... idk, catching eggs. Not mini-games or somesuch. There have been ideas for ways to obtain extra shards through various methods (which should probably not be considered right now but go into ideas to expand the store once/if it's in place) but the core has been to play the game and earn shards doing what we're doing anyway. Not extra activities. There is also no plans to add a way to pay for shards with real bucks in this thread. On the contrary, most of us have been opposed to that idea.

2. One of the very points brought up is how many people have searched the biomes for many years without getting a CB gold for themselves, often without even seeing one. One reason could be lack of time to search but slow, old computer equipment, slow internet, slow reflexes are also factors.

3. Again, "buy your way"? How does earning through play constitute buying your way into DC? This comment I don't understand. Unless you're somehow referring to some idea of using real money, which as I said is not part of this suggestion.

4. It's great that you're expressing your opinion. We need people to tell us why they don't agree with what's being suggested. We are, of course, going to offer ways or reasons to counter your objections, but if we all feel comfortable offering counter opinions with civility then hopefully a sound proposal can be offered.

Just want to emphasize/echo all these points.

@RealWilliamShakespeare if you have read a few pages of this thread you will know that earning a CB Gold through collecting shards is not at all 'redundant', since *many* of us simply *cannot* catch one in the biomes. It's simply not possible. Again, it's wonderful if you (or your sister) can, but not everyone is that lucky. For people like me who have never even *seen* a CB Gold in the biomes, the store is definitely not redundant at all. And no users would 'have to do things' to earn shards, except playing the game the way they always play it. Honestly, most of your points have already been brought up and talked about at length in this thread... Many people voiced strong objections to having to 'grind' (or as you say 'do things') in order to earn shards, which is why that's not a thing in this suggestion. You earn shards by collecting, growing, breeding, the exact same things you would do if there was no store. 

DC would not stop being a game of challenge with the store. The store would simply make the game a little more *level* for people who for whatever reason have *no access* to certain dragons. The challenge would still be there, because you would still have to play consistently in order to save up those shards, you would not be just instantly able to obtain tons of rares. It wouldn't be like 'store is implemented, let's grab a few CB Golds!', that's not the idea here. I think a challenge of playing consistently for 6 months in order to earn enough shards to buy one is *plenty* reasonable.

13 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Very very true.

12 hours ago, Jazeki said:

Quite. I SAW one yesterday. The second one I have ever SEEN. Catch it ? NO chance !

I've been playing since 2010.

I've been playing since shortly before the Arsani release, and I've only ever even seen two or three CB Golds in all that time, and I caught neither. I've only seen four or five CB Silvers in that time, and I've only caught one. All other CB golds/silvers I've gotten have been through trading an arm and a leg.

It's reasonable to want a way to obtain them without relying on other people if your reflexes and/or connection are bad.

Even aside from bad reflexes / connections, it’s a matter of time. You could watch the biomes all day and probably only see one Gold and miss it. That’s a level of time commitment the average working person can’t put into a game like this, that in so many other ways is MEANT to be a simple quick pick-up put-down game (at least in terms of time invested per session).

To be honest I also sort of understand the feeling of not wanting a shop simply because we’ve never had one... I’m a nostalgic change resisting sucker at heart, and it WOULD make for a different game. But at the same time looking at it from a rational perspective I believe it’s a change that will only make the game better. Again, the current suggested rates will still keep rares rare, and a big achievement to gain, but it also won’t feel like you need to spend a year of watching paint dry to get one the way you would with biome stalking. And on the OTHER side, people who do like hunting rares will still likely get them at vastly higher rates then people who have to rely on the store, and only theirs will be tradeable. So it’s pretty win / win. Plus it opens up the possibility of making Prizes more obtainable and serving other fun functions—I really do like the potion idea.

And as a last thought—it’s true that the problems this addresses could be handled in other ways, like making rares more common (I think coppers and xenos are pretty close to the right level of rare-but-reasonable in terms of finding). You could also help by adding more similar level rares, so while the chance you find X is the same, you have the tripled chance of finding Z or Y while looking and then trading them for X. But I think I still prefer the store due to its versatility and the fact that it wouldn’t devalue metals as much as a rarity change would, I think.

It's really a combination of a lot of things... Reflexes, computer/internet speed, time, and plain luck. I've mentioned before that I normally actively play DC for 3-5 hours every single day (and that's a very low estimate, honestly). While I've avoided the biomes a little the last few years, I *do* spend plenty of time camped out and refreshing. And I *have* spent multiple days refreshing the biomes at least every 5 minutes for a good 3-4 hours. And I still haven't even *seen* a CB Gold. So put all of that together... Reflexes, computer/internet speed (that people often have no control over), time, and *luck*, and the simple fact that even those of us who *do* have the time to sit around refreshing for hours *still* have no way of getting a CB Gold.... Yeah. The store is a very important suggestion for us because it makes the completely unobtainable at least a little obtainable.

Honestly I'd be totally fine with rares becoming more common instead of the store being implemented, but *that* is even less likely to happen then the store. People have talked and complained and suggested for *years* that rares need to drop at a better rate and it's always been shot down, over and over. I just want *something* that will make completely-unobtainable dragons at least a little obtainable, and imo the store is the most likely suggestion for that, and the one that wouldn't screw with the overall ecosystem/ratios/etc too bad.

edit: I feel, in the interest of honesty, that I must edit this post to say that I just saw my very first Gold in the biomes. Totally shocked me, of course I didn't actually get it, but it's the first one I've ever *seen* in the biomes. Wow. (Which means in 9 years and 7 months of playing I've seen *one* CB Gold.)

Edited by HeatherMarie

7 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Even aside from bad reflexes / connections, it’s a matter of time. You could watch the biomes all day and probably only see one Gold and miss it. That’s a level of time commitment the average working person can’t put into a game like this, that in so many other ways is MEANT to be a simple quick pick-up put-down game (at least in terms of time invested per session).

To be honest I also sort of understand the feeling of not wanting a shop simply because we’ve never had one... I’m a nostalgic change resisting sucker at heart, and it WOULD make for a different game. But at the same time looking at it from a rational perspective I believe it’s a change that will only make the game better. Again, the current suggested rates will still keep rares rare, and a big achievement to gain, but it also won’t feel like you need to spend a year of watching paint dry to get one the way you would with biome stalking. And on the OTHER side, people who do like hunting rares will still likely get them at vastly higher rates then people who have to rely on the store, and only theirs will be tradeable. So it’s pretty win / win. Plus it opens up the possibility of making Prizes more obtainable and serving other fun functions—I really do like the potion idea.

This sums up my feelings on the shop pretty accurately. :) I was a bit resistant to the idea when it was first proposed before following the thread to get a clearer idea of what was being proposed. The fact that rares will remain rare (since it would take so long to save up for a gold, it's not going to inundate the game with them) and I think it's a nice way to make sure the game remains fun, interesting and accessible to people with a busy lifestyle.

My hunting took a big hit a couple of years ago when I was studying my Masters at uni because I no longer had hours to sit around refreshing the cave. I was still an active player in that I always had growing things on my scroll, but I was suddenly collecting commons instead of rares because I just didn't have the time to wait around for rarer eggs. At that point, it would have been nice to still be working towards a gold in the future. I think there are probably a lot of people who are studying, working or have busy schedules that would probably feel like this feature would benefit them for the same reason. ^_^ 

And my favourite thing about this suggestion is that it wouldn't decrease the challenge (which I was initially worried about) but rather provide another challenge for people to tackle. As a very goal-oriented person myself, I really like that. :lol:

At this point, I feel like it would completely fair for this thread to go ahead and be closed, as the main part of what this thread had tried to do has been accomplished, and the fluffs we had discussed would be far, far better off happening in a separate thread (the potion part, and the idea of raising x breed to gain extra shards are the two biggest ones I can think of). While I l would love to see those discussions eventually, I will not be able to maintain threads for those discussions. 

I've asked for this thread to be closed, and assume it can always be reopened if needed. Thank you everyone who helped out with making this happen!

-Thu

Thank you for your endless patience over the whole thing:wub:

Edited by Fuzzbucket