Thuban

Trader's Canyon

I don't understand why people are always wanting easier ways of obtaining dragons that are supposed to be hard to get.

Is there any easier way to get dragons than with a raffle? For the lucky ones, I mean.

I would like it if we can buy CB dragons from the completed request section. We have a lot of dragons waiting to be released, and being able to buy them would be better than releasing multiple dragons at once(so there isn't the 'get this NOW or else it'll be rare and gone' pressure) It would also give the 'store' more variety.

The whole point of this suggestion is to give people a chance at the things they want to have, without making it about other players, or competing with one another, at their own pace, in their own way.

I... do like the way you're focusing it.

You did make some valid points, Thuban. I'm still a bit not so sure about it, because other online games I played created such a division between players I've seen less class division in third world countries. I understand this is, in part, the situation we are in now (actually, most CB metal trades are done by the same users), and yes, the market is ruined.

I really can't argue against that. Call it neophobia. tongue.gif

Is there any easier way to get dragons than with a raffle? For the lucky ones, I mean.

That's what I'm saying. No, there isn't. That is why they are classified as "rare" or "prizes". They aren't meant to be easily obtained.

Otherwise, they would have been released as CB Commons. Which we have tons of already.

That's what I'm saying. No, there isn't. That is why they are classified as "rare" or "prizes". They aren't meant to be easily obtained.

Otherwise, they would have been released as CB Commons. Which we have tons of already.

What I'm trying to point at is that they are obtained by sheer dumb luck. The people that get them didn't "earn" them. This topic and other one where TJ posted focus on some kind of earning.

Mini-game points store is an interesting idea. Recolors of dragons we have would be fun. CB Alts. Anyone can get them if they want them, just have to spend the time.

Kinda like taking the kids to Chucky Cheese or something. Want something really "good" (like an old prize) gotta save all your tickets over time to win it.

The mana bar from Christmas might be a useful start. Once you've so many points for the day, you don't earn more, but you can keep playing if you want to.

Limits: The proposed limits suggested are "can purchase ever". So, if you can only ever buy 1 of something.. if you bite it, kill it, let it die or trade it off, you will not ever get the chance to buy another one. The site would mark it as "you bought this, so its gone".These would be breedable though so everyone would have access to them, if they are actually bred.

Limited releases: This isnt a requirement for this idea to work, but I am one of those types who WANTS to see dragons that only happen for a little while at a time throughout the year. I have concepts rotting behind the scenes that I wanted migration on (as in they would be in one biome for x amount of time, and then in a different biome with different coloration for another length of time. Every color variation could be obtained throughout the year by breeding, but only caught as a cb for a short time per color. Because of that mechanic, they wouldnt work in the cave, the way it is now, but they could be interesting in a store like setting.

Prizes: also are not necessarily required. As stated in the first post.. this one would be something that we have to wait and see what happens with this years raffle, before making any decisions. They are great for examples, but not so much for the "hey people want this to happen" front.

1. Limits: I like the scroll tied limit

2. Limited releases: if there was a rotation of spites like with Seasonals and not a once in a lifetime catch, like CB Holidays, and if they were very cheap, maybe. I'm still don't like the idea of Store exclusive dragons, we're all sprite collectors at heart and having these types of exclusives would, well not quite force, but would put pressure on players to play the minigame if they want this non-Cave obtainable sprite.

3. Prizes: don't see why not, CB alt Blacks and Vines are far rarer dragons, but nobody seems to object having them in stores, why should we treat these dragons any different.

My further thoughts:

Definitely no spriter's alts, no dragons only available through the store, no being able to give currency to each other, and definitely have some sort of cap on how much can be earned and how many dragons of each breed you can buy. If you like a game, you can keep playing it, but you won't be earning money after you have earned so much (ex. we could play mana alchemy and not earn any more mana).

It is not necessarily an "easier" way to gain dragons, but rather an ALTERNATE way that doesn't depend quite as much on luck and the mercy of others. Maybe it is easier in that you can actually be certain to get something instead of just waiting for years hoping that someone will happen to give it to you or you will happen upon the dragon when no one faster sees it.

Also, just because there's a monetary value put on a dragon doesn't mean that that HAS to change what someone will trade for it. Theoretically, a Magma and a Thunder would be the same price. I would trade a lot more for a Thunder than I would for a Magma because I just like them better (see my scroll for proof).

I'll admit, I do feel a slight cringe inside at the thought of "buying" the dragons, though I can't put words to why exactly. I do, however, really like the idea of a way to get a dragon that doesn't depend on how much the internet-Gods like me today. Because let's face it; most of the time, to get a rare, you have to have a rare (or twelve) to trade.

This won't be something we have to do. It will be something we have the option of doing. I do not care about the encyclopedia; I ignore its existence most of the time. Some people use that to fill their time. I love the holidays for the mini-games; others ignore those.

If it is balanced right, this could work without destroying the trade market or sending the ratios all skewed.

3. Prizes: don't see why not, CB alt Blacks and Vines are far rarer dragons, but nobody seems to object having them in stores, why should we treat these dragons any different.

Because Prizes, are a very touchy subject.. They have caused a lot of problems over the years, and people.. are strangely passionate about them in different ways.

CB alts though.. those dont have drama surrounding them specifically. They cant be obtained outside of the raffle.. so people dont think about them smile.gif

1. Limits: I like the scroll tied limit

2. Limited releases: if there was a rotation of spites like with Seasonals and not a once in a lifetime catch, like CB Holidays, and if they were very cheap, maybe. I'm still don't like the idea of Store exclusive dragons, we're all sprite collectors at heart and having these types of exclusives would, well not quite force, but would put pressure on players to play the minigame if they want this non-Cave obtainable sprite.

You bring a good point at point 2. No store exclusives, I think that's only fair. If this is going to be something voluntary, it doesn't make sense to make a sprite obtainable only through the store.

I don't think we should be able to buy in-cave dragons such as CB metallics, the store should be limited to prizes(if any), and CB past holidays, CB Hybrids; mostly things that are obtainable via the raffle.

What I'm trying to point at is that they are obtained by sheer dumb luck. The people that get them didn't "earn" them. This topic and other one where TJ posted focus on some kind of earning.

I dunno, I guess it's because I've never had a problem with the raffles. I have the sprites, I don't feel the angering need to have CB's. And I've just never understood why it was such a big deal that they are won by "dumb luck". I've always enjoyed the raffles, even though I never expected to win. I enjoyed the sprites and the gorgeous lines that came out of it. And I don't expect anything more. /shrug

I'm not sure I understand. If you are a raffle winner you can still choose a CB Holiday. Even if you weren't around that year.

Thebthing w the raffle though is that 1. There isn't a huge number of cb holidays being available to the public and 2. You can only get Christmases. I.e it's small enough that while I am very unhappy with the possibility I have made my peace w it grudgingly.

This completely changes that.

Because Prizes, are a very touchy subject.. They have caused a lot of problems over the years, and people.. are strangely passionate about them in different ways.

CB alts though.. those dont have drama surrounding them specifically. They cant be obtained outside of the raffle.. so people dont think about them smile.gif

I know I know, but I refuse to treat them any different. They're Metallics, Metallics are expensive and so their price would most likely be among the highest ones - with a scroll limit people wouldn't be able to hoard them so there wouldn't be an enormous, game-breaking impact on DC economy, it could actually improve it.

There's are so many benefits here, obtaining CB Hybrids and Alts, and missed CB Holidays (if possible, naturally), now there's an awesome prize right here as well. <3

Edited by stagazer_7

I dunno, I guess it's because I've never had a problem with the raffles. I have the sprites, I don't feel the angering need to have CB's. And I've just never understood why it was such a big deal that they are won by "dumb luck". I've always enjoyed the raffles, even though I never expected to win. I enjoyed the sprites and the gorgeous lines that came out of it. And I don't expect anything more. /shrug

Basically me. I think a lot of people are forgetting that there are a lot of useres who either choose not to comment, don't know this section or thread exists (as evidenced by many confused people with the solstice change announcement), or plain don't mind the status quo.

Thebthing w the raffle though is that 1. There isn't a huge number of cb holidays being available to the public and 2. You can only get Christmases. I.e it's small enough that while I am very unhappy with the possibility I have made my peace w it grudgingly.

This completely changes that.

In the other thread, I believe TJ stated if something like this suggestion were to happen.. those things would be rather expensive (as they should be). There isnt going to be hundreds and hundreds of new ones being handed out every day.. they would be something you would need to actively plan to save ahead for, seeing as you wont know the price, until they are available. You would have to plan to dedicate a pretty good chunk of time over the course of the months leading up to it. It wouldnt necessarily have every cb holiday.. maybe things up until three years ago, with other ones becomg available every year.

I am fairly confident I have this idea worked out to avoid any exploiting (since most of the more desired stuff would be expensive and have limits on them, and the less common options, wont really break things) Some things.. might have fail chances to contend with (if cb black and vine eggs end up in cave... I have a feeling that they would end up having a chance to hatch alt, rather than being guarenteed alt. It would still be cb.. its just... im not sure about that one)

Because its at your own pace, and non competitive, it does make it a bit more fair (in the sense of everyone having the same opportunity to get the items, in their own ways, without having to rely on factors they cant control like internet/computer speeds, reflexes, dumb luck). It turns these dragons into something you work for.. dedicate yourself to getting, if you want to, over time.

I really, really dislike games with stores. I definitely do not want prizes (in the form of raffles and/or a game) and a store. Particularly not one with exclusives/discontinueds/things not available directly from the cave. Definitely not with unreleased dragons. For one - how is that decided? It's good enough for the store but not a release? It's rejected for the site but added to the store anyway? wut. Definitely not spriter alts, which I feel is extremely unfair to the artists. No dragons you can't grab in cave.

For me, this is a game breaking suggestion. If we include unreleased dragons and etc., I just feel the majority of attention will go to this new economy instead of the actual game and new releases and holidays may slide to the side.

Our economy right now is our dragons. I'd prefer dragons at least stay the strongest media of currency.

Add me to the no column for this suggestion.

So much this. Add me to the no camp. This COMPLETLY changes the entire way DC is played. Solid no from me.

I am for this suggestion. I like the seasonal rotation (and standard scroll cap) for holidays. I'd like to see a mini game alt. I would also like for CB hybrids to be guaranteed. I don't want to spend x amount of game points for a black egg to not hatch alt when I could have gotten something else. I would also like for the dragons that come from the mini game to not be tradeable. Their offspring, however, can be tradeable.

Edited by Jazeki

So much this. Add me to the no camp. This COMPLETLY changes the entire way DC is played. Solid no from me.

Same here. I definitely do not want this in any way, shape or form.

The main thing about the Prizes, that causes all the problems, is that they broke the trading system. 90+% of the high value-non Prize trades are for "2nd gen Prizes only", and that's where most of the CB Golds and CB Silvers are going for trades. For the rest.... Most trades are again, either for low gen Prizes, or wanting *only* low gen Prizes. And the thing is... Many CB Prize owners don't *want* gobs of CB Metals! They just don't have eggs available for trade, either because of lists, poor breeding, or because they don't want to breed to trade.

For those people who don't like stairsteps and want things other than Prizes, it gets really old really fast.

Then to top it all off, the Prize sprites (6 of them) are by far the 6 nicest metalic sprites in the Cave... And there are only 2 other truly "shiny" metals in the Cave of even close quality (Golds and Golden Wyverns). Silvers are.... Sadly out of date and not shiny, and Coppers are fantastic sprites, but just aren't the least bit shiny.

So you have the extreme dominance of the Prizes in the trading market (which is not the Prize owner's fault!), and the fact that almost all of the shiniest metalic sprites in the Cave are an extreme exclusive in CB version and can't be used by lineage builders outside of certain highly specific circumstances (stairsteps with only some lines, deadlines, or pay first-born for multiple 2nd gens and 2nd gen kin).

And.... Some lineages just *can't* be built, at all. There are only 4 male CB Gold Tinsels that have been bred more than a couple of times. Just 4. So.... Anything using male CB Gold Tinsels.... pretty much forget about it.

Also, to all you out there who will promptly call me "greedy", "entitled", "sore looser", and various other names: don't bother. This was a clinical description of why Prizes are such a big deal, and guess what... I've heard it all already. tongue.gif

(that's the other reason Prizes are a big deal: rampant name-calling in any thread trying to get the sprite more available and get it to have less of a stranglehold on the market).

TL;DR

Anyway. That's why Prizes are such a hot topic: destroyed trading market, almost all of the nicest metalic sprites in the cave with very limited use, and a number of threads that went down in flames.

Cheers!

C4.

If this happened, I don't want CB prizes, golds, silvers, or even coppers. I would like some dragons off the completed list placed into the store instead. I can't really place my feelings, but I am REALLY against CB prizes and various rares in the store.

For the 'money' gain, it could be X-games a day to earn or the more games a day the amount decreases so the first game may give 100 but the next only gives 75 and so on down until 1 or 0 points.

As for which eggs are available they could rotate maybe weekly or monthly? Enough time that if you just spent your points you can save up again but it might be harder, or you save up for 3 months so when that one rare you want becomes available you know you have the points.

There could be common or uncommon eggs too so maybe like one rare per each rotation period

I do like this idea, especially with an added fee for a custom code.

If this happened, I don't want CB prizes, golds, silvers, or even coppers. I would like some dragons off the completed list placed into the store instead. I can't really place my feelings, but I am REALLY against CB prizes and various rares in the store.

I said I wasn't going to say anymore but, well...

I am kind of opposed to releasing dragons (completed list or not) only into the store. I understand about Thuban's neat concept. However, if something is good enough, generally speaking, to use in the store it also ought to be good enough to release in the cave at the same time. I just think it's a bad idea to only release in the store.

I do understand that people see pretty dragons on the completed list and think that this might get them released, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

I said I wasn't going to say anymore but, well...

I am kind of opposed to releasing dragons (completed list or not) only into the store. I understand about Thuban's neat concept. However, if something is good enough, generally speaking, to use in the store it also ought to be good enough to release in the cave at the same time. I just think it's a bad idea to only release in the store.

I do understand that people see pretty dragons on the completed list and think that this might get them released, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

In store 'early release' followed by incave release weeks/months later? Everyone has access but if you just caaaaan't wait, it's gonna cost ya. tongue.gif