Brite

Everyone's a winner!

*immediately relates this to the raffle drama*

Okay, that aside, I think that 'everyone's a winner' is a really poor way of comforting kids, and all it does nothing but spoil them.

Right on. See under my post somewhere about my granddaughter and the raffle. (WOW - found it !)

The little angel

And she's only 10. I wish everyone here had her attitude to the thing.

A reason why Chairman Mao Ze Dong didn't achieve communism. It's because whether you work or not, you'll still get the same income. Seriously, didn't they realise that this would lead to laziness? It would cause lack of motivation. I for once am not against "Everyone's a winner" attitude but what I'm against is if it's in competitions. If it's a raffle, then I suppose it's alright, provided the other prizes are consolation prizes of lower value. In competition, everyone wants to be recognised yes, but you should work hard for it. I kind of feel angry if I got the same grade with a layabout person who doesn't take the lessons seriously. I know I am dumber but I want my hardwork to pay off. Now, as a result, I became less motivated for quite some time in college and my grades plummeted down.

There I have to disagree. All the research shows that people in the countries with the least gap between rich and poor are the happiest. It's sad if the only - main - thing that motivates you to work hard is money. As a life long worker in the public services, I did it for the job; the pay was rubbish. But we all worked hard - job satisfaction was what counted. Enjoying what you do (up to a point) and doing some good - very important. Money - honestly, not so much. As long as you have enough to live on (and I mean enough to live decently, not to buy every new fad gadget !) - that's all you need.

There I have to disagree. All the research shows that people in the countries with the least gap between rich and poor are the happiest. It's sad if the only - main - thing that motivates you to work hard is money. As a life long worker in the public services, I did it for the job; the pay was rubbish. But we all worked hard - job satisfaction was what counted. Enjoying what you do (up to a point) and doing some good - very important. Money - honestly, not so much. As long as you have enough to live on (and I mean enough to live decently, not to buy every new fad gadget !) - that's all you need.

user posted image Hold your horses, fuzzbucket! I am wondering. Your position is that you dislike the idea of everyone's a winner. However, as I think it through, your argument about loving one's work without the need of money is like everyone's a winner approach. In this case, why should the winner feel bad if everyone else is given a prize for completing the race when the winner should simply enjoy the race or competition in itself without the need for prize?

user posted image Hold your horses, fuzzbucket! I am wondering. Your position is that you dislike the idea of everyone's a winner. However, as I think it through, your argument about loving one's work without the need of money is like everyone's a winner approach. In this case, why should the winner feel bad if everyone else is given a prize for completing the race when the winner should simply enjoy the race or competition in itself without the need for prize?

Everyone IS a winner in life if they can just enjoy what they have (assuming they have enough to eat and a place to live).

Everyone getting a prize for "being best" is not the same thing AT ALL. That leads to people having false beliefs about their own abilities. Getting the idea that they ARE up to scratch when actually they have more to learn. That a job will fall into their laps with no effort on their part. And in the end, the entitlement culture.

If Johnny ran faster than I did and won a race, sure, I will be happy for him. I don't see why I should get a prize - but I don't see why he shouldn't get a prize for that talent and work. Being paid twice as much as me because he can run faster - THAT is not OK.

I do NOT believe that everyone having the same income would mean no-one bothered to put in the work. Not to mention there would be no more "he has a better TV than I have" - that's because he spent his identical-with-yours income on that while you had bought a new couch and he hadn't. ENVY is endemic where you have obscenely rich people exploiting the desperately poor.

Thank you for the clarification, fuzzbucket! smile.gif That clears it.

Good. I was starting to steam at the corners xd.png

Personally, I think the 'Everyone's a winner' mentality is the most ridiculous and detrimental mindset I've ever heard of. Why? Because it's a lie.

Being paid twice as much as me because he can run faster - THAT is not OK.

Why not? What if he's an Olympic athlete and won the gold? He gets world wide recognition, is in the spotlight for being the winner of a global competition and is paid big bucks for doing promotions. Should ALL the runners, even ones that came in last, expect to be offered the same opportunity to be on TV, do those promotions and get big bucks? I don't think so.

Edited by MedievalMystic

@Mystic: I think Fuzz meant people shouldn't earn more for things that they are good at while doing something entirely different. E.g., I shouldn't be paid twice the amount as a programmer just because I (hypothetically) won at a long-distance swimming competition. That because swimming and programming have very little to do with one another (aside of being a good way to keep fit and relax in between mostly sedentary work). Or earn more from writing fiction and doing art just because I also program. Since being able to draw a pretty picture != ability to program well and vice versa.

@Mystic: I think Fuzz meant people shouldn't earn more for things that they are good at while doing something entirely different. E.g., I shouldn't be paid twice the amount as a programmer just because I (hypothetically) won at a long-distance swimming competition. That because swimming and programming have very little to do with one another (aside of being a good way to keep fit and relax in between mostly sedentary work). Or earn more from writing fiction and doing art just because I also program. Since being able to draw a pretty picture != ability to program well and vice versa.

Ah, ok, sorry, I misunderstood.

Ah, ok, sorry, I misunderstood.

This is true. I did indeed.

But yes actually - I DO think people who win races should not earn buckets of cash just for that. Hospital porters deserve as much, IMHO, a what they do benefits others - to be blunt, running brilliantly - doesn't. And don't get me started on professional footballers. mad.gif

But yes actually - I DO think people who win races should not earn buckets of cash just for that. Hospital porters deserve as much, IMHO, a what they do benefits others - to be blunt, running brilliantly - doesn't. And don't get me started on professional footballers.  mad.gif

A lot of the people that win in the Olympics for example have been working toward that goal since they were little kids, and I mean working hard. These people have put a lot of time, effort, blood, sweat and tears into that kind of success. They're not earning 'buckets of cash' simply because they happen to be good runners...they're getting buckets of cash for the effort and dedication and sacrifice they've made pretty much all their lives to attain that level of success, something most people do not do for whatever reason. I don't know what a hospital porter is, but Doctor's that have worked their asses off getting educated and have become recognized for brilliance around the globe deserve every dime they make, too, imo. If someone has worked their tail off to climb the ladder and achieve status at the top of their field, whatever field that happens to be, deserves a whole lot more, imo, than people that didn't work to rise that far, or couldn't rise that far no matter how hard they worked. I'll never be an Olympic athlete or a brain surgeon because, frankly, I don't have the athletic ability, dedication, or brain power to rise to those heights...those that do, they get what they deserve and I don't begrudge them one penny of it or one minute in the limelight. They've got something I, and others, just don't...simple as that, imo, and also imo, they deserve to reap those rewards.

I'm happy in my middle class life. Obviously, not everyone is cut out for greatness, or great success...but those that are, more power to them.

Edited by MedievalMystic

This is a total lie. You can't live in a fantasy bubble all your life. The truth is, if you didn't study for that math competition, no, you aren't going to be as good as the kid who applied themselves at studied an hour a night for a month in advance.

In the workplace. If you procrastinate, no, your boss isn't going to like you as much as your fellow intern.

Do the last place athletes at the Olympics win medals? Absolutely not.

I think we all need to accept and teach children that yes, sometimes you don't measure up, and you fail, but only when you apply yourself and do your best can you succeed to your fullest potential. And going 10 km/h on a highway isn't going to win you the race.

Now, there's a fine line between teaching a kid you can't always win and giving them self-doubt. Kids need to be affirmed, and should be rewarded for working hard. But its unnecessary to give the winner the same prize as the loser. You either won or you didn't.

There's no gold medal for participation.