angelicdragonpuppy

Prize x Prize only breeds one color?

I care. I wanted to start an alternating prize color line and I now realize that I can't because of this feature. Total support for egg color to be random. Not the same color every time. D: My project will be impossible without alternating color as most of the parents for the project will be trades and as such non replaceable should they throw the wrong color egg x.x

lol assuming site internals.

Not everything is a code problem; this particular thing could be solved in code by precisely 15 characters.

It's not fixable because it would involve changing the breeding behavior of already established pairings and break lineages that are relying on the current behavior.

I also don't personally see it as a problem. It's consistent, it's even chance of either breed (though not actually random), and it allows for more possibilities than always picking the "higher placed" color (and more reliable than picking a random one).

This was TJ's post.

I don't really see how he's saying it's not "fixable" - even though that's the words he used. If that were the case, he would have locked the thread.

I'm reading this as "It's a feature!"

I still see it as a bug, and I just think he needs to see more people weighing in on what the current mechanics PREVENT from happening...

I'd like to either see it changed, or at least see the rules for what determines what color from a pairing, so I can plan around it.

Just my take.

Edited by SolarCat

More semantix: It's a design flaw.

Fact is, it wouldn't break anything if established breeding pairs could breed both colors - they still would be able to breed the same outcome as before, just only 50% of the time, as opposed to 0% chance for the other color like before.

I still care.

But i figured its faster to rebreed than to wait for TJ to change his mind.

Even though it took me over 6 months to get this 5g: http://dragcave.net/lineage/FGrxt its still better than waiting for nothing....

And yes, its a feature nobidy really needs or wants. So I'm gonna have ti ask, again:

TJ, What are those lineages you think this change would BREAK?

Fact is, it wouldn't break anything if established breeding pairs could breed both colors - they still would be able to breed the same outcome as before, just only 50% of the time, as opposed to 0% chance for the other color like before.

This.

I only have one prize x prize pair because I hate this "feature". Not only do they only give one color, but it's the color I don't want. If they gave both I could always donate the miss-colors to people that want them. As is, why even breed them if I can't get the offspring I want?

I only have one prize x prize pair because I hate this "feature". Not only do they only give one color, but it's the color I don't want. If they gave both I could always donate the miss-colors to people that want them. As is, why even breed them if I can't get the offspring I want?

That pretty much sums it up, yes.

Right now, you have once chance of 50% of getting the color you want/need - if you get anything at all. (Let's not mention the abysmal rate of refusals...) If you don't get the "right" breed, you will never get it. It's just like a refusal by another name: Permanent, impossible to turn off and incredibly annoying for those who don't get lucky.

A change would mean that the color determination gets rolled with every successful breeding, so a 50/50 chance (or whatever the actual chances are) every single time. The mechanic is more like a "no interest" or "no egg produced" result, you just have to keep trying and, eventually, will be rewarded with the egg you need.

The way this "feature" works right now seems awfully broken to me. I mean, imagine that whenever you breed two dragons, they will only ever produce the same breed! A white x holly checker that, first bred during the Winter Holiday breeding season, couldn't ever produce a white. Or the very same checker being bred out of season - and not being able to produce a single holly - ever. Or a black x gold checker that, if you got a black egg once, would never be able to produce a gold...

Fortunately, we don't have this "feature" for breeding for anything but prizes of the same category. So, why do we have to have it for tinsel x tinsel and shimmer x shimmer breeding? And how many people do rely on it?

I agree with this completely, I don't know of any other dragon breed on DC that acts in this way - whenever you pair up 2 differently colored dragons of the same species (like Nebulas or Stripes), you always have the chance to get offspring of both colors and this is a system that works nicely, because it's flexible and allows more freedom to create whatever lineage you like. Re-breeding your Prize dragons just to produce offspring that will maybe, if you're lucky, produce eggs of the right colors to continue your project is very impractical in comparison to the system other breeds have.

I, among others, also don't see how changing the current Prize x Prize breeding system can possibly break any lineages, since you can still breed any color you need for your projects or how this limiting system can allow more possibilities. Is it more reliable? Maybe, I guess, if you want your Gold x Bronze to only produce Bronze eggs (and that's after testing and seeing what color eggs the pair produces). But allowing more possibilities? No, I'm sorry, but I just don't see it -if you're lucky your pair produces offspring of the color you need, great, otherwise tough luck, the pairing becomes completely useless. tongue.gif Unless you're working with PB lineages, you always need a specific color for each new generation, so I really can't see how this current Prize breeding system where all offspring is of one single coloration could possibly be beneficial to any structured lineage. For this reason I'll have to respectfully disagree that adjusting the breeding system could be harmful to any lineages.

That's my two cents on this issue...

Edited by stagazer_7

No, I'm sorry, but I just don't see it -if you're lucky your pair produces offspring of the color you need, great, otherwise tough luck, the pairing becomes completely useless.
As I said, just like a refusal renders your pairing useless.

I would love to bump this.

Assuming that some people rely on this feature; with I speculate might be due to currently tinsel/shimmer x other dragon lineages. However, couldn't this feature just be turned off when breeding two prizes together? Or just treating each coloured prize differently (after all, they could just have the same unified coding; if anything success rate for each variety could the the 1/3 of success it is now.)