Alse15

Stronger Anti-Harassment System

Not necessarily. For free boards hosted by forum hosting places yes definitely, but I'm 99% sure TJ's not using such a service, but has the board installed on a server with a regular website host (or even on the DC server itself, I can't really recall the details). This means TJ has access to the board code and with his coding talents and knowledge, I'm pretty sure he's able to implement quite a few things - the problem is time, I'm guessing. He's working his arse off to get the site updated to what he showed a while ago, and there's a million and more things the userbase also wants once he's done with that.

In other words, it comes down to what TJ feels has priority.

(Note: the above is deduced purely from things TJ has posted on the forum and what he seems to be able to do. I don't know him so there's of course a chance I'm wrong xd.png)

There are several things TJ has posted in saying it can't really be done until we update the board. So while there is some degree of freedom in what he can do, I do think he's still limited by board capabilities.

~

On harsher punishments: considering all user's punishments are kept private, I'm not sure how much people can comment on this. For the sake of users and not abusing our power, yeah, mods give a certain leniency before we start handing out harsher punishments. And yeah, punishments get more harsh as users continue to break the rules. I have skipped right to harsher punishments for more serious issues. For example, threaten violence towards another here on the forum and I will jump straight to a suspension among other tools at my use. If we give someone a "slap on the wrist" and they continue harassing you, then please report it again. More serious action will be taken against them as they continue ignoring our warnings and chances. And from the site terms:

Interactions with other users

All interactions with other users must be willful. Bothering other users to return abandoned eggs or posting the eggs, hatchlings, or adult dragons without a user's permission are prohibited.

If someone is crossing this line, their scroll can be burned or other appropriate action taken (but remember that consequences should make sense: for example, for a few inappropriate names, a lot of times the ability to name dragons is disabled for the user rather than the scroll burned).

Things to keep in mind:

We have a large user base. And with this comes a lot of people from different backgrounds. People here have social anxiety. People here get bullied in real life. My fiancé would be crippled by oncoming PMs that they couldn't just stop. Or if people sent them a trade request with a transfer link.

The big thing people need to remember is not everybody thinks and works like you do.

That being said people do get harassed. I've been harassed and I don't have a CB prize or spriter's alt.

My fiancé would be crippled by oncoming PMs that they couldn't just stop.

Two Words: BLOCK LIST!

The forum has it, if someone bothers you, use it.

If you can't do it yourself, good that you have a fiancee to help you out. People having trouble to forward a message or block, would likely have the same kind of trouble hitting the flag button.

If you're not able to handle pms, best never get any. fill your mailbox and be happy.

While I think the ability to report a PM just as we can now with posts would be helpful I don't think we need anything else. If I feel I'm being harassed by another user I simply forward the PM to a mod with a note from me why I'm sending it. Being able to report it would mean all the mods would see it and not just the one I forwarded it to. That way action wouldn't have to wait until that particular mod has time to deal with things.

For the rest, I think sufficient measures are in place as long as people actually use them.

This. I think all that is needed is here - many people don't use them, and that is their problem, not the forum's problem. The PM blocking facility is excellent.

I find the mods very supportive.

Edited by fuzzbucket

NOTE:

A lot of these suggestions are purposefully more clinical because not a lot of people (especially on DC) have the confidence to approach a Mod with their problems. Be it because they don't want to be a burden, they don't want to make their situation worse or legitimate anxiety disorders; this is not a safe way for the harasee to protect themselves.

... And all your suggestions save "not receiving PM" (which is a personal ostrich solution that isn't fixing the problem in the big picture) are still just reporting the offending content, just in a different way.

You're proving it yourself that reporting is adequate. If anything people just need some more persuasion to do just that when they feel like they're being "harassed" (whatever that means, because the word has been thrown around way too much lately).

My bad!

Not being used to this type of forum, (apart from a DC where these matters didn't seem to arise previously,) I don't think to check sigs or profiles prior to contacting people and have in the past embarrassed the heck out of myself by noticing later that there WAS something right in someone's sig... (Just not as good looking as I used to be, lol, especially with inadequate beauty sleep. laugh.gif )

And I understand that a fair number of people have sigs turned off, to save loading/band-width/avoid viruses.

One cannot rely entirely on people seeing notes in sigs, profiles, or posts in order to assume that that people know better than to pm.

There are a lot of older people and others unused to social sites on this forum, some of whom, like myself, might well make the same error, with no intent to harass.

As has been pointed out, some of the people on this forum may have been bullied or be very shy or sensitive and be absolutely crushed to discover that they'd done something wrong in gathering their courage to contact someone discovered - too late - to unexpectedly regard any unsolicited contact as harassment.

I do feel that this aspect should also be taken into consideration.

I would personally consider harassment to involve a persistent or abusive communication issue, especially where the victim has expressed a desire for avoidance, and think that warning people for a single polite contact with which the average person would have no problem is carrying things a bit far. smile.gif

I absolutely agree with Syphoneira. A single contact that's neither demanding ("GIMME NOW!") nor insulting shouldn't be warn-worthy, no matter what you put in your signature or your profile.

Even a second polite PM a couple of days after one the recipient didn't answer shouldn't be a warn-able offense. After all, life happens. The recipient might have been unable to respond at once and forgotten about it later on, for example. Neither have they stated clearly that they do not wish to be contacted about that matter again.

However, pestering someone with PMs even though you have been told that said person does not want to be contacted, being rude, demanding or insulting should be reported and dealt with by the moderators.

On the other hand, reporting PMs without due cause also needs to be dealt with by the moderators.

If I get unsolicited PMs regarding 2G Shimmers, I politely reject the polite ones, ignore the rude ones and very firmly shut down the "can I be on a waiting list for your waiting list?" ones. That pretty much covers it, since I invite PMs for general breeding requests - as long as the request is polite, it's usually honoured.

The thing is that different people have different boundaries and some people are easier to offend than others. Some of them can feel offended by misinterpreting other's intentions or messages, even the polite ones.

This.

I did not know until yesterday that writing people in our native tongue - because much faster for me, less usage of English words which can be misunderstood by me/the person - and sincerely apologizing & trying to clear things up and change the atmosphere can be seen as "battle challenge".

But I agree with others: block list and report buttons work fine - I just have to learn to use them more often.

I agree there does need to be stricter rules regarding harassment. I'm surprised at this point that there isn't an option to not receive PMs, I think that would greatly help out prize owners and some spriters who do not wish to breed their alts. However I realize it wouldn't work out so much for mods who need to be contacted. Block lists also sound very handy.

I agree there does need to be stricter rules regarding harassment. I'm surprised at this point that there isn't an option to not receive PMs, I think that would greatly help out prize owners and some spriters who do not wish to breed their alts. However I realize it wouldn't work out so much for mods who need to be contacted. Block lists also sound very handy.

Then how would your friends contact you? Not everyone uses chat. You can block specific people and that should be enough, IMO.

I don't really see the point of this, given the options that are already available. The only thing that may need to change is raising awareness of the anti-harassment options already available to players - block lists, the ability to forward problematic PMs to mods, and other things that have been mentioned in this thread.

Edited by LibbyLishly

Then how would your friends contact you? Not everyone uses chat. You can block specific people and that should be enough, IMO.

If it were easy to to change you could turn it on or off whenever you'd like. I was more specifically thinking of prize winners who may want to block out all PMs for a day or two while they gather their thoughts. smile.gif

Harassment includes all forms of harassment. Be it from trade harassment, to personal harassment (example: bullying). Any unwanted contact or communication. Anything that makes someone feel uncomfortable because someone is stepping in their boundaries.

I agree with you, but I also feel that there is to strict of a regiene going on here as it is. There is a mood being put out that is "be a happy flowers teletubby or get your life's work burned before your eyes, in a pile of shame and humility" I do not know what you mean by bullying, but is someone pm's me saying "your trade offer sucked" I wouldn't care. That's not bullying. Even is they were cussing, it doesn't affect anyone. They are a random person using the internet to bid on a group of pixels assigned to a 5 digit code. No one should ever be offended by anything in relation to this game. Racism or sexism is pretty much it for what anyone really should be offended by. Just block people, and ignore fools.

p.s. What does stepping on their boundaries mean? I don't know if there are any boundaries on the wifi signal/internet plug you are using to access D.C. Anyone ever heard of 4chan? Funnyjunk?

Have a great night/day

p.s. What does stepping on their boundaries mean? I don't know if there are any boundaries on the wifi signal/internet plug you are using to access D.C. Anyone ever heard of 4chan? Funnyjunk?

Have a great night/day

Oh yay! Let's list two of the most vile places on the internet and talk about how harassment should be part of the daily regimen and you should suck it up and deal with it.

Nope. Not dealing with it in real life, and I don't think it's a stretch to tell people to stop. There's a person behind that computer screen.

I absolutely agree with Syphoneira. A single contact that's neither demanding ("GIMME NOW!") nor insulting shouldn't be warn-worthy, no matter what you put in your signature or your profile

Even a second polite PM a couple of days after one the recipient didn't answer shouldn't be a warn-able offense.

However, pestering someone with PMs even though you have been told that said person does not want to be contacted, being rude, demanding or insulting should be reported and dealt with by the moderators.

Bolding is mine.

This makes no sense to me. If someone has 'Please do not PM me about...' in their sig, wouldn't 2 PMs to that person qualify as pestering them as stated in your second quote? That's how I'd see it. If they have something in their sig that clearly states 'I DON'T WANT TO BE PM'D' then haven't you been told already that they don't want to be contacted?

'Please do not PM me about...' doesn't..or at least it shouldn't... translate as 'Yes, PM me as long as you're nice about it and if I don't answer the first time, go ahead and do it again in SPITE of me clearly saying not to'.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I agree there does need to be stricter rules regarding harassment.

I'm not sure the issue is so much loose rules regarding harassment so much as users, for whatever reasons (and yes I can think of some, which is why I do support things like turning off PMs and a specific report button - just haven't posted as much because I am not sure they are possible without or even with an upgrade in forum software), do not report PM harassment all that much. =X

I'm not sure how I like this. Like many have stated, use the blocks. I have nothing rare besides a few 3rd gen prizes. But I will admit to backtracking a lineage and asking an owner if they don't mind helping in exchange for something. 90% of the time they are helpful or just reply they're not interested in helping

Once, I've been nice and sent a PM asking about a dragon's offspring because I liked the pairing and thought they had a 2nd gen to breed. I got insulted badly in return reported for harassment and blocked with a drop dead added as well.

Think I laughed and added them to my block list. the dragon i was hunting wasn't even a prize dragon. I think it was a frill and a holiday pairing

I absolutely agree with Syphoneira. A single contact that's neither demanding ("GIMME NOW!") nor insulting shouldn't be warn-worthy, no matter what you put in your signature or your profile.

I expect that my requests are in my profile to be respected.

Therefore, I would report them if they decided they did not need to follow my requests. I have told them once where it is easily seen - in in multiple places. I do not welcome PM's for trades or PM's at all I don't care if they are polite or not. They are unwelcome.

My scroll has Several dragons to get this across. (I need to move them up again. )

I Do Not Return

Accidental Auto Abandons

I Do Not Do

Breeding Requests

I Will Not Return

Repulses

Never ask me For

Eggs or Hatchlings

No PM's Polite or Otherwise

So no. Single Contact to me I would consider it reportable since I have clearly indicated my desire Not to be bothered. I do not want contact at all-what-so-ever.

If a person PM's me for site related stuff, Moderation, friendly chat from some of the users etc. I have no issue with that PM. Outside of that, leave me, any my scroll well alone.

Edit: SO anyone who has attempted to deter PMs in a manner such as I, myself has, should be respected entirely. Do not PM means DO not PM.

Edited by Starscream

I would like some way to ping unacceptable PMs to the moderators, but otherwise I think the system works fine. I did have someone PM me once to ask why I put "please do not PM me" on some of my trade posts and apologize for bothering me in the body of the PM. I explained to them about not being at the computer to answer PMs right away and went about my merry way. I'm comfortable enough with PMing mods if I have an issue that I cannot handle myself.

I expect that my requests are in my profile to be respected.

Therefore, I would report them if they decided they did not need to follow my requests. I have told them once where it is easily seen - in in multiple places. I do not welcome PM's for trades or PM's at all I don't care if they are polite or not. They are unwelcome.

My scroll has Several dragons to get this across. (I need to move them up again. )

I Do Not Return

Accidental Auto Abandons

I Do Not Do

Breeding Requests

I Will Not Return

Repulses

Never ask me For

Eggs or Hatchlings

No PM's Polite or Otherwise

So no. Single Contact to me I would consider it reportable since I have clearly indicated my desire Not to be bothered. I do not want contact at all-what-so-ever.

If a person PM's me for site related stuff, Moderation, friendly chat from some of the users etc. I have no issue with that PM. Outside of that, leave me, any my scroll well alone.

Edit: SO anyone who has attempted to deter PMs in a manner such as I, myself has, should be respected entirely. Do not PM means DO not PM.

Mistakes happen, and I myself don't think such minor things should ever be treated as a grand offense to be subject to punishment. It creates such a harsh and unfriendly environment to treat other users that way. Even comes across as downright hostile and impersonal. But, opinions and all, not interested in really arguing those.

What strikes me when reading this, though, is clarity. Those kinds of messages on scrolls aren't typical, so should a person get in trouble for PMing someone who says on their scroll "No PMs ever" spelled out in dragons? This is the forum, after all, not a PM system based on the main site. But then reading your post, I get the feeling you don't want any sort of PM at all unless it's from your friends or involves your 'job'. Yet, the statements you've made in other places, like your sig and profile, state otherwise, and only specify not to contact you about breeding and such. So this can easily lead to confusion as to what exactly bothers you and what you want. Should simple mistakes based on unclear desires lead to punishment?

And speaking about the sig and profile themselves, should there be an expectation that everyone should pick over a profile before sending some kind of PM just in case there's a message? It seems like that's such an easy thing to miss when there's no standardization to it. Even with the most visible proclamation, the sig, it's easy to miss something. The text in yours is rather small next to that picture, for example, and the eyes trailing over a message could miss that. It's less forgivable, true, but it's not hard to see how that can happen. So you have these clarity issues that can lead to simple, minor mistakes, and if they get punished as some seem to want it, it's going to cause a lot of fear and worry over using the PM system at all, since anybody can get you in trouble not for how you've acted, but for how you've missed some bit of text somewhere or misread someone's statement. It would create a rather harsh system of easy punishment and unfriendly attitudes, as is my concern above. I also don't believe that people won't misuse it at times just to get others warned or banned.

I have it spelled out in several locations trying to cover all areas. Its in multiple places, and you have noticed it.

This is good.

The true expectation is, don't PM someone unless they have expressed it is okay.

In other games, if you harass somebody it ends up affecting your gameplay, as you can be suspended from everything and not even be able to access your game at all. Although I don't know how it would work on DC as the game and the forums are separate, I would definitely not be adverse to something like that for harassers who were repeatedly harassing, obviously hateful, etc.

I have it spelled out in several locations trying to cover all areas. Its in multiple places, and you have noticed it.

This is good.

The true expectation is, don't PM someone unless they have expressed it is okay.

I noticed because you told me it was there. I wouldn't have otherwise. But mainly it's an issue of clarity there. Some of what you've said contradicts what you've said elsewhere.

So in your opinion we should have to be given express permission (how, when most avenues are blocked by this?), in writing, before we should be allowed to contact another member on this forum at all. Otherwise, we'll presumably be banned or warned. It's really obvious how that's going to make this a hostile and unfriendly place if that's the attitude.

BlindWolf, I couldn't agree more.

I don't want to feel intimidated before PMing any user who hasn't explictly stated (in their signature or profile) they want no PMs in general, or on any specific topic.

It's like being afraid to ask a stranger the way to a railway station, because they can call the cops if you do it.

Could we please just keep it friendly and normal?

I'm a CB prize owner, and I was NEVER EVER harassed by anyone. My only problem is PM box getting full, but that's not the fault of people PMing me.