Twyro

Are you afraid of the dentist?

Are you afraid of the dentist?  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As a dental medicine student on her second year of college I am very curious to see what you could say or at least pick as an answer. I know many people, from kids to adults, who are terrified of the dentist for who knows what reasons, while some aren't bothered by the thought at all. Personally, as a kid I was terrified of dentists and never have I ever thought that I'd want to be one someday, but here I am now! Absolutely okay with everything related to the topic and more aware of how important it is to take care of our oral health as well as other parts of our general health.

What are your experiences with dentists? smile.gif

No big deal. I've had root canals done, etc. Sure, having to gets shots in your mouth isn't fun, but it's not that painful and I just try and stay relaxed. It's a necessary evil that you just have to get through. The 'happy gas' , which I request just for the fun of it during major procedures, is great too, and goes a long way to help me relax. laugh.gif

Edited by MedievalMystic

No big deal. I've had root canals done, etc. Sure, having to gets shots in your mouth isn't fun, but it's not that painful and I just try and stay relaxed. It's a necessary evil that you just have to get through. The 'happy gas' , which I request just for the fun of it during major procedures, is great too, and goes a long way to help me relax. laugh.gif

You mean nitro's oxide AKA chatter gas? I love that thing! I mean, I like seeing footage of people feeling high after being given chatter gas and I laugh myself off as never before, and sometimes I wonder if I would get any crazier if I inhaled it someday. biggrin.gif

I've never been to the dentists in years. I mostly pull out the loose teeth myself if I have to. I should probably go see one. Also I heard the thing that makes you sleep in the hospital makes you hurl if you drink water in less than three hours. Does laughing gas have the same effect?

I get super nervous when it comes to the dentist, I don't like needles and putting one anywhere near my face freaks me out. The last time I got my wisdom tooth out, the dentist gave me valium for the first time ever. That made me loopy as hell xd.png.

I don't remember much about the ride home, only thing I remember is drooling a lot and covering my face because it was freezing that day. Pudding was the only thing I could eat for WEEKS.

When I was a kid, for some reason (it's more than likely that I really ate up all the praise I got for good brushing habits and whatnot), I absolutely adored going to the dentist. In fact, I'm sure that if I could have chosen to go once a week, I probably would have. I did the whole orthodontist thing, and had myself some really great braces just before starting 6th grade (I had to wear headgear, thanks to a wonderful overbite)... but still, even with all those bits of metal to brush around, I remained cavity-free until about the age of 16.

Honestly, I didn't look at it as something scary or painful, it was just, "Wow, you've ruined your life. Great job. You no longer have lovely teeth. You've failed the dentist. He hates you, and so do all the hygienists," which is admittedly over-dramatic (because it wasn't a horrible experience). Except with the way your body tends to mess with you as you age (or take more medications) - and I'm mostly talking about laziness and salivary changes over time - because I've accumulated cavities like body modifications over the last decade or so. It doesn't bother me when the dentist takes care to numb me up more than he normally would, and it doesn't bother me that I still feel every bit of drilling, scraping, stuffing, sculpting, sanding, and polishing... because it doesn't take THAT long to do a filling.

But it does worry me to know that I've put off going to the dentist for slightly more than a year, and somehow I've managed to accumulate visible holes in a few of my teeth; and even if I don't mind feeling pain, I have a terrible time dealing with the anticipation of feeling it.

I've never been afraid of going to the dentist; in fact, when I was little I looked forward to it because you always got a little toy or something afterwards, and that was worth all the gross-tasting paste in the world. My sis had to use night-time braces, and I wanted that because it was pink and sparkly, so I was really disappointed when I never needed them. xd.png

Sadly, lately I've had a dentist that seems to be annoyed with me for some reason, and I don't know why. My teeth are in fine condition and I always show up on time... Hope I didn't say something dumb.

Now being sick enough that you have to visit the doctor on the other hand... sad.gif

Edited by Ripan

Ohhhh~ I hate it. I hate it and I'm not afraid to admit that it terrifies me. Why? For several reasons. One because I'm terrified of needles and seeing one coming and then going into my mouth just....no. No. No and hell no.

What's the alternative? Laughing gas. That's actually the most pleasant part of it. If that is used then it's not so bad. The last time that happened my dentist let me put on my headphones (because I needed a tooth pulled) and the music combined with being relaxed almost made me fall asleep and I was only faintly aware of what was going in my mouth other than feeling pressure.

The sound of that tooth drill. *shudders* That's the worst of it. It's worse than nails on a chalk board. There are few sounds that I cannot stand. The two that top the list are rubbing a balloon which makes that squeaking sound and a tooth drill. It hurts my jaw just thinking about it.

I have very sensitive teeth and therefore a higher sense of pain and a lower tolerance for it. The only way I will have any work done in my mouth for any reason is either to have laughing gas or to be knocked out. I absolutely refuse on any other terms.

I don't really mind, but that's probably because the most I've ever had done at the dentists was fluoride painted onto my teeth.

Depends. If I'm just there for normal stuff it doesn't bother me.

But, if I'm there to get a cavity filled or something, I hate it.

The drills and needles terrify me.

Can't say that I am, no.

I'm more spooked by the gynecologist.

Then thank God you don't need to see one (I see that you're a male person). xd.png

Me too, I must say. The gynaecologist does freak me out, I hate feeling so... exposed.

But if it's a woman who examines me I'm a little less frightened (knowing that she has the very same parts, I mean). tongue.gif

As for the dentist, I'm not really afraid, not even when my uncle, who is an amazing oral surgeon took my wisdom tooth out. And boy, was it a big one! The tooth, of course. tongue.gif

But on the other hand, I got to eat half a kilo of ice cream in February. tongue.gif

I used to be scared of the dentist when I was young but not so much anymore.

After taking care of me for a portion of my childhood, my dentist was fired for malpractice and such things. I always went in and came out a shivering mess because of how scared I was and that was probably why. I've gotten over it since then but I do feel a little anxiety occasionally. In fact I can say that I enjoy it sometimes. It can be very relaxing if nothing major is going on.

I hate dentist visits with a passion, even though I haven't really had any serious procedures done - definitely not serious enough to be put under anesthesia in any way. (Though I did have a really impressive cavity once that made the whole side of my mouth hurt... that was awful through and through even without the dentist visit.) I fully admit it just freaks me out. D: Not to mention I'm terrible at taking care of myself in general, so there usually are some issues when I come for a checkup.

Though once there, I can handle it reasonably well, even the pain. It sure is better than it used to be, as a kid I threw a screaming fit, bit the dentist and kicked my grandma over a mere loose tooth... I still sorta feel bad about that. Pretty sure granny still remembers it, many years afterwards. rolleyes.gif Thank god for good genes and no cavities for most of my childhood, because I'm not sure my kid self would have handled it very well.

Now that I think about it, being a dentist has got to suck... especially dealing with kids. You're helping people and they basically hate/fear you as a result. unsure.gif

Fairly indifferent.

I am also the odd type who has pain tolerance through the roof and can watch people cutting into me with barely anything above mild interest, but as for narcosis? **** no. Never. Being conscious and witnessing everything is the way to go for me, no matter what is done.

No, not really scared. I always get sick when I go because fluoride and the stuff they use to clean teeth doesn't agree with me but I get over the queasiness quickly. Just wished more places carried flavorless stuff.

Nope, never been scared of the dentist; in fact, for the longest time, I wanted to be one (and only the fact that I've never had a natural bent toward math or science, blah). I don't mind shots in the mouth - in fact, I vastly prefer that to laughing gas or being put out - and getting my wisdom teeth out was astonishingly non-painful. The only thing I'm scared of is the prices, since I don't have dental insurance. dry.gif

I don't dislike dentists in general, but like most people I don't like pain so ... sometimes.

I had to get five of my molars, and two of my incisors removed because of stupid dentists.

That, and my body reacts differently to the anesthetic. When I was young, it would make me absolutely freak out, and I would feel pain.

This one dentist drilled my molar tooth open, got mad at me, and then stormed out. He never filled it back in, and I went through great pain because of this.

I finally have a wonderful dentist now, but I still hate them with a passion.

I don't like the dentist because of the scraping on my teeth. *shudder* It is such a nasty feeling, and the sound in my head is awful too. Blech. It makes me feel sick. I'm also a pretty sensitive gagger, so I have to keep reminding myself to breathe deep and focus on not gagging.