TJ09

2015-01-08 - Glorydrake/2013 Holiday Changes

It isn't flattering and I don't feel flattered. Love should be unconditional.

Right now, I'm so irritated with the Bossman over the lack of warning that the only thing I'm feeling unconditional is irritation. And I'm also never again going to trust a Holiday to breed true until I see it do it, which again... Sucks, but better than being blind-sided again.

I'm sure I'll get over it by next year, and I do love both sprites, and I'm not going to kill the ones I have over this. I'll even get them mates, eventually.

But the two sprites, beautiful as both are, do need different mates.

Cheers!

C4.

Even though she's feeling harassed, Odeen should also feel flattered: people are THIS upset because they love her sprite!

No, people are upset because something unexpected happened. Over and over again people here prove they can't handle it. Should that mean unexpected things shouldn't ever happen? If so, say goodbye to any new release. You can't know when or what will be released, after all; it'll be unexpected.

On DC, there's a very, very annoying feeling a lot of people seem to have: entitlement. A lot of people, or an incredibly vocal part of the userbase, feels they have a right to have every possible thing and have everything go their way. This prevents them from being happy for others (raffle) or accepting change (retired breeds), and numerous other things.

Sadly I don't ever see this changing, because it's become a part of the community. It has driven people away, it has caused artists to say 'screw this I'm out of here', it causes drama time and time again.

What DC needs is a general change of mindset. People should stop feeling so entitled. Start going with the flow and enjoying what you can get.

Been wanting to say that forever, held back except in private conversation and a remark here and there. Glad to finally get it out there.

Also... TJ does NOT have a responsibility to not do harmful things or however you want to phrase it. It's his website, he pays for it and puts his time in it. If he feels like deleting the whole adoptable part of the site and instead wants to just sell shirts or whatever, that's his decision to make. And honestly if I were him, I'm not sure if with all the drama all the time, I'd have had the sheer willpower to keep the website running.

Edited by Rhynn Collins

Everything Rhynn says above me and more.

This just brings me back to my original post that you can't make everyone happy...and often times the ones who complain the loudest are the most hurtful...this makes me extremely sad that the poor artists are feeling the backlash of people who have no filter for the things they say and spew caustic venom because they don't get their way. There's no reason to kill a dragon because you didn't get your way. Release it if you don't like it...but for crying out loud...have some decency and respect for another person's hard work.

I'd like to tip my hat to the rational and mature way that the artists have handled this. It says a great deal about you personally.

I'd like to say shame on you for those people who have nothing better to do than hop on a soap box and throw a huge fit because you didn't get your way and in the process of beating your chests...hurt perfectly innocent people.

Edited by IvoryRaven15

No, people are upset because something unexpected happened. Over and over again people here prove they can't handle it. Should that mean unexpected things shouldn't ever happen? If so, say goodbye to any new release. You can't know when or what will be released, after all; it'll be unexpected.

On DC, there's a very, very annoying feeling a lot of people seem to have: entitlement. A lot of people, or an incredibly vocal part of the userbase, feels they have a right to have every possible thing and have everything go their way. This prevents them from being happy for others (raffle) or accepting change (retired breeds), and numerous other things.

Sadly I don't ever see this changing, because it's become a part of the community. It has driven people away, it has caused artists to say 'screw this I'm out of here', it causes drama time and time again.

What DC needs is a general change of mindset. People should stop feeling so entitled. Start going with the flow and enjoying what you can get.

Been wanting to say that forever, held back except in private conversation and a remark here and there. Glad to finally get it out there.

Honestly I think this is one of the biggest problems in the forum. Generally users are nice, but when holidays come around, it seems like everyone either celebrates the holiday spirit or becomes grouchy. From what I've seen, the grouchy people speak louder.

You know, if people all kept their cool, this is how all the Solstice threads would have gone.

Initial thread-

user 1: "oh huh bred solstices are a different color, are they all this way"

user 2: "seems so"

user 1: "that's kinda disappointing. maybe we should go calmly make a few suggestions about ways they could both be obtained in bred form"

user 2: "right you are good madam"

Suggestion thread-

user 1: "here are some polite suggestions about ways the solstice sprites could both be bred :DD"

TJ/Odeen: "oh okay we will look- okay this one might work without compromising their lore"

user 2: "yaaay~ can we get to pick what we get for this year's dragons"

TJ/Odeen: "no, sorry"

user 2: "aww, okay"

Implementation thread-

user 1: "yay, bred solstices in both colors now!"

user 2: "aww, some of mine colored opposite to what I wanted"

user 1: "same here, but these colored as I wished, yay"

user 2: "high fives and a round of applause for everyone"

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

Right now, I'm so irritated with the Bossman over the lack of warning that the only thing I'm feeling unconditional is irritation. And I'm also never again going to trust a Holiday to breed true until I see it do it, which again... Sucks, but better than being blind-sided again.

I'm sure I'll get over it by next year, and I do love both sprites, and I'm not going to kill the ones I have over this. I'll even get them mates, eventually.

But the two sprites, beautiful as both are, do need different mates.

Cheers!

C4.

The lack of "warning" isn't something that was absolutely needed even though, sure, it might have offset some of this upset-ness that is around.

BUT, it's up to you whether YOU want to continue to be irritated over something, I feel, isn't much of a big deal.

TJ didn't give us a warning, but at the same time, is it fair for you to be super irritated over this? In the grand scheme of everything, the reddish hue is a small alteration. For lineage projects, how did this really affect you? The biggest complaint is that people will "need" to start over their Solstices with their breedings next year. (Sure, it'd be nice to have some forewarning.) Rather than starting over, it might be a better mindset to be flexible in your lineage projects and try something different, rather than throwing a tantrum because you didn't get exactly what you wanted on a site that is free-to-play.

Edit: Rhynn Collins' post is beautiful.

I also just wanted to add that I keep posting because I don't want the forum to be full of the unhappy users (but happy to vocalize their unhappiness)... because there are plenty of us users who either like the compromise or don't mind it.

Edited by kiyoura

Everything Rhynn says above me and more.

This just brings me back to my original post that you can't make everyone happy...and often times the ones who complain the loudest are the most hurtful...this makes me extremely sad that the poor artists are feeling the backlash of people who have no filter for the things they say and spew caustic venom because they don't get their way. There's no reason to kill a dragon because you didn't get your way. Release it if you don't like it...but for crying out loud...have some decency and respect for another person's hard work.

I'd like to tip my hat to the rational and mature way that the artists have handled this. It says a great deal about you personally.

I'd like to say shame on you for those people who have nothing better to do than hop on a soap box and throw a huge fit because you didn't get your way and in the process of beating your chests...hurt perfectly innocent people.

I would like to praise Odeen and JaziandCo for this-the Solstice is Odeen's baby and seeing people killing them over wing designs and basically tearing them apart with words must hurt. Odeen just stayed calm, perhaps took a break from the forums for a little while, and then explained calmly about the sprite. She explained why it meant so much to her without yelling at the people who had been so inconsiderate about the sprites.

Yes, TJ has a responsibility to not do harmful things. No, the artists do not own the site.

But they do own their art and their concepts.

TJ, Odeen, and JaziandCo worked together to find a solution they liked. TJ liked the solution as the admin and owner. JaziandCo liked the solution as someone who liked both wings. Odeen liked it as a spriter and as someone proud of their wonderful work.

Sure, TJ could have warned people in advance, but I think that together the trio worked together to find a solution that pleased many users. Next year we'll be able to plan those lineages and wings. I myself plan on breeding my CBs to get both colors of wings.

In my opinion, harrassment is never good. I like these forums because people keep their harmful opinions out of their posts. The fact that Odeen feels harrassed is terrible and I'm really sad it happened on my favorite site.

*hugs Odeen*

I would also like to add that this solution was originally suggested by the USERBASE.

I think too much time has been wasted on placing blame with one party or another. TJ stated that there was mis-communication and gave players the chance to suggest a solution. That's exactly what has happened, yet some are still finding things to complain about. What should really matter here is that we have now been given not just one, but TWO beautiful sprites. I, for one, am grateful for that.

*ETA* TheCompleteAnimorph, I so wish the forums had a "like" button on here. What you said is spot on!

Edited by sheppardkid

I would also like to add that this solution was originally suggested by the USERBASE.

I think too much time has been wasted on placing blame with one party or another. TJ stated that there was mis-communication and gave players the chance to suggest a solution. That's exactly what has happened, yet some are still finding things to complain about. What should really matter here is that we have now been given not just one, but TWO beautiful sprites. I, for one, am grateful for that.

*ETA* TheCompleteAnimorph, I so wish the forums had a "like" button on here. What you said is spot on!

Thank you for adding to my post, sheppardkid. I agree with the points you brought up. It seems like everyone is focusing on other user suggestions though. I'm really happy with this. Sure, some will have to wait until next year for that perfect lineage, while others will have to wait for their favorite wings. But I'm glad it'll work out in the end.

I for one am grateful that we get the chance to collect both beautiful sprites. Both of mine turned rosy during the change, and I'm looking forward to adding the blue wings back to my collection next year.

Keep your chin up Odeen. You're a wonderful spriter and the solstices are amazing. (My fav holiday dragons in fact, wish I could have grabbed more than two this season but they were going quite fast!)

No decision is going to make everyone happy. People would still be upset even if there WAS a week+ warning that this was going to happen.

Both sprites are pretty. It's just a wing colour. Chill peeps. Be happy you have the dragon in the first place.

Odeen, thank you! Both your Solstices are beautiful! I'll make sure to get more of them both next Christmas. biggrin.gif You and Tj are great!

Edited by NekoA

I checked my scroll and of my two Solstices I caught last year, one turned rosy and one stayed blue. I'm happy to have at least both on my scroll, and I'll try to get more blue ones this year.

Odeen, thank you very much for all your effort in this. I appreciate having the opportunity to get both sprites, and your story behind them.

To be honest, I don't see why people are still complaining. Sure, it's disappointing that some solstices may not have coloured the way you wanted, but at least now everyone can get both!

I, for one, am very grateful that everyone can get both sprites. Isn't it enough that this change was made so that both pretty sprites were available? Why must people complain about miscoloured dragons when they could be smiling over the good things that happened?

Thank you TJ and Odeen. Thank you for both solstices.

I highly agree with both Rhynn and TCA. I think sometimes people here completely forget that - like it or not - this is a game. Things do not always go your way in a game. I think sometimes DC gets too far away from that because people consistently say that they come to DC to 'get away from that', etc. Which is fine. But personally, I think the spriters and TJ both do their utmost to make the population happy, and I think that the members of DC have far more input than most game users do.

Just something to remember, imo.

And focusing on a more positive note because that's important...I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of the forum users who have posted on here that have conducted themselves rationally and shown their support. For every one negative nancy out there...it appears there are at least one hundred more who absolutely love both sprites and are satisfied with the changes.

<3

I think both Odeen and TJ deserve kudos for the way they handled this situation. Even in the face of the drama that always erupts here when anything unexpected happens they calmly chose a solution that was most fair for everyone. And Odeen has conducted herself admirably in the face of harassment over people's disappointment over which wing colors they got.

*gives Odie an internetz and a warm fuzzy kitteh*

Now that the plan has been executed, and people were given what they originally asked for - the option to get both wing colors - I have seen people grumble about how this was the worst way to handle the whole situation, how they have to kill and release their Solstices because their lineages are ruined.

People are still thankful - for one reason or another. I see that. Such words have not fallen on deaf ears, and I've still been getting nice messages. I am so thankful to every single person who has voiced their support, expressed their love, and given me gifts.

But people are also killing my dragons out of spite. As though they have no use and no value because they are not what that person wants. We don't have breed limits on holiday dragons anymore, and yet people would rather spill my dragons' blood than adapt and try something they hadn't planned on trying before. These are the things that, sadly, are going to beg to be remembered, and no it will not prevent me from designing my dragons the way I want to design them in the future.

I would just like to thank everyone again who has taken a moment out of their day to show their support and understanding in one way or another. You are the reason I sprite for DC, and I love you all.

I'm only targeting this, because the assumption that all of those who are killing/releasing their Solstices out of spite is false. I released my extra Solstice because it IS useless to me. I don't do lineages. I only collect sprites, and have a specific scroll set up that I dislike having to abandon. One of each sprite of each gender, no more. I have no use for a second, redundant red Solstice, so I threw it away into the wilderness. I didn't do this out of spite or hate, but because it just plain doesn't have a use or value to me when I have my CB sitting right there. I imagine this is far more common than people releasing or killing them out of spite.

Now, the only way in which I was annoyed was that I spent three hours with a severe headache at like 4 AM trying to catch the one that I released because I needed a blue sprite. That's it. I got over it. The compromise is not optimal, but at the same time I never saw it as a big deal that it was retroactive and generally haven't supported all of the continuing complaints in regards to it. It's just a wait until next Christmas, they're both available, the main issue has been addressed. Mostly happy, no reason to argue and get into fights over it. So the implication that there's spite and hate behind the actions of people releasing dragons is definitely something that isn't always true.

Edited by BlindWolf

I think both Odeen and TJ deserve kudos for the way they handled this situation. Even in the face of the drama that always erupts here when anything unexpected happens they calmly chose a solution that was most fair for everyone. And Odeen has conducted herself admirably in the face of harassment over people's disappointment over which wing colors they got.

*gives Odie an internetz and a warm fuzzy kitteh*

and some cookies and hot chocolate.

Frankly, sometimes discussions here devolve into mob mentality. If my parents had ever heard me say some of the things I've seen here, I'd have gotten the 'hand of doom on the butt' treatment.

I'm only targeting this, because the assumption that all of those who are killing/releasing their Solstices out of spite is false. I released my extra Solstice because it IS useless to me. I don't do lineages. I only collect sprites, and have a specific scroll set up that I dislike having to abandon. One of each sprite of each gender, no more. I have no use for a second, redundant red Solstice, so I threw it away into the wilderness. I didn't do this out of spite or hate, but because it just plain doesn't have a use or value to me when I have my CB sitting right there. I imagine this is far more common than people releasing or killing them out of spite.

Now, the only way in which I was annoyed was that I spent three hours with a severe headache at like 4 AM trying to catch the one that I released because I needed a blue sprite. That's it. I got over it. The compromise is not optimal, but at the same time I never saw it as a big deal that it was retroactive and generally haven't supported all of the continuing complaints in regards to it. It's just a wait until next Christmas, they're both available, the main issue has been addressed. Mostly happy, no reason to argue and get into fights over it. So the implication that there's spite and hate behind the actions of people releasing dragons is definitely something that isn't always true.

To be fair, she didn't say "all." c; She just said there are people out there who are killing/releasing them out of spite (which is true).

Odeen, thank you for giving us a beautiful dragon. I'm one of the ones who appreciate your hard work. I love both sprites, and am happy to collect both the solid blue and the one with the pink hues. Keep up the great work!

Edited by AquaBlueRain

*Takes deep breaths, as per Birdz' very nice post*

Alright, let me try to speak on the matter one last time. I do acknowledge that a solution was reached that will work out well in the future, but I want to lay everything on the table regarding my thoughts about what went down.

I've played a variety of other adoptables games, both before and during my DC experience. I found, however, that I didn't fancy the others much. While there were a lot of reasons behind it, exclusives, and the "elite" players and limited collection options that often accompanied them, were often pretty high up the list. When I first joined DC--in the summer before the Yulebucks were released--the only exclusives were CB Hollies, and even those could be caught in lineaged form. But other than that, everything was awesome. Aside from missing out on CBs sometimes, I didn't have to panic and fret over the possibility of missing something if I didn't log in every day, which put my anxiety-and-OCD diagnosed self greatly at ease.

Well... then things changed. More CB Holidays, the retirement of Old Pinks and Frills, Prizes, even exclusive badges! Despite having never failed to get any of these things, the addition of more and more exclusives was the one dark blotch on the game for me, and one I always spoke against when the chance arose. For many years, this did nothing. This year, however, things took a surprisingly optimistic turn; Frills were almost guaranteed to return, discussions on Old Pinks and Snow Angel varieties resumed, and even some other, more likely to remain exclusives (such as Prizes and old CB Holidays) were poked at.

Then along came Christmas season. I am an avid collector of Valentine and Halloween dragons, but have never been of Christmas dragons. Some very pretty sprites, to be sure, but I usually have trouble picking out good mate matches for dragons with so many hues. But, aha! This year there were the Solstices, which for me took the cake in both beauty AND a relatively simple color scheme--blue with that perfect dash of pink to spice things up. Went about breeding them, as per normal, expecting--like nearly every Holiday we've had before, especially those in recent years--that what I saw was what I got.

Thennn there were the blue wings. Pretty, but not what I'd saved Christmas egg slots for, spent a year imagining lines with, or made a reasonable guess would not be appearing based on how the majority of other Holidays behave. When it was revealed that these new sprites were also going to be the ONLY ones around from now on, myself and others got upset for a variety of reasons. On top of finding out my breeding plans weren't going to look as I'd been planning them for a year, were we really getting ANOTHER exclusive? After all the cries saying how much we missed Frills and Old Pinks? Had everything myself and others said in those threads meant nothing to the powers that be?

I understand that to some of you exclusives mean nothing, but for me--as a player with mild OCD and anxiety playing a game that's so focused on collecting--not being able to get all the "normal" stuff, and the worry that I might not be able to simply because I forget to log on one given week or day, matters. No, I won't break down sobbing if I miss an exclusive, but it will forever represent a tiny, annoying itch that I can't scratch when I play. Some people have said "if you join a site, you roll with what it is" as a point to simply accept changes like this. But I felt the premise for which I'd joined DC--a chance to play a laid back, work-at-your-own-pace, get 'em all dragon collecting game--was being damaged, without a strong, compelling reason to do so, by the addition of yet another exclusive. Yes, it was just a 'semi' exclusive--it was only taking one version of a sprite, not the whole breed--but it was still one I'd miss, even if I did have two CBs. So I spoke against it, as did others.

In other words, people asked for rosy wings back. And then things hit the fan, for a variety of reasons.

Some of those who asked for them back were rude. Heck, at various points I've been rude, and I apologize. However, I do not feel the strong words were one sided. Within minutes of people calling for sprites back, people who did so were being called "entitled," told to "cool their jets," that we should just be grateful we got to play at all and accept all decisions with a smile on our face, that TJ and the spriter's thoughts were the only ones that mattered and everyone else should shut up. While that would be true if DC were a private little game, it's not--it's a business relying on ad revenue and donations to keep alive, which players provide. Yet, again, this was ignored and many people were yelling at us and suggesting some very nasty things about our persons. I remember next to zero sympathy from the other side about the fact that some people were upset they had lost long planned for work or heartbroken that they could never collect the pink wing version.

The response from TJ and the spriter was initially very disheartening as well. The first official comment was from TJ, without any clarification, just a "I thought you'd already been told." The spriter said she couldn't "give a rat's bum" about the lineages some people were so upset to have altered unexpectedly on them, putting her view of how the breed should function above the concerns of a considerable chunk of players. Now, before you bite me for saying that, let me say I understand--extremely well--the attachment that creators can form for their work. I've drawn and formed concepts both on DC and off, I have characters I've been developing for years, I write stories hundreds of pages long and spend every moment I'm not doing something else daydreaming. Heck, I even describe all of my 2,000+ dragons and have feels for things I only can write a paragraph or so about! I understand emotional attachment. I understand wanting control over your precious idea babies. I really, truly do! However, the dragons in question were submitted specifically to be used by a game site. And so--while I understood the sentiments--I was still frustrated that the artist had chosen to put her wants over those of a big section of the site's, and that TJ had chosen to allow it, despite previous exclusives related dismay. Creators do have the rights to do crazy things with the breeds they invent--but, since DC is a business, both staff AND artists / conceptors have to make sure those crazy things also work with the user base, because decisions made regarding the game aren't just affecting a few close friends; they're affecting, if the numbers I've heard are correct, over ten thousand players.

I mean, if I made a dragon where the females killed and ate their mates after for nutrients--and this would actually kill the dragon you bred it too--and it wasn't ANNOUNCED--would that be fair? It'd be my idea and my dragon, yes, but that doesn't mean TJ shouldn't stop it from being allowed in, no matter how much thought I put into it. Obviously a sprite change is not the same degree of destruction that that example is, not by a long shot, but the original idea here still hurt people both going in and going out, either by taking up slots people wanted for other things (people breeding for pinks and getting blues, people gathering blues on purpose then getting pinks), almost by leaving all later players out of getting a the original sprite, putting plans on hold for a year...

All that said, don't get me wrong! I think this type of thing would have worked absolutely fine as a NORMAL release. Giving creators the ability to stretch the limits of how their breeds behave has given us nocturnes, avatars, pygmies, nebulas, coppers, stripes, sunsets, so on and so forth, you get the idea. If a normal breed had been released where the CB were all one color and the bred ones were a different one, I would not have made a single peep. I would have accepted it completely. Why? Because 1. both versions would still be available and 2. it would be a release that we'd have all year to figure out how it worked. Unlike in this case, where the originals would have become exclusives and we had only a mere week to figure out what was going on--and then would have to accept any blunders we made along the way were all we were going to have to show until next year.

The snark and attacks coming from both sides of the issue (and what felt like the apparent apathy of the site's powers for most of the early discussion, which definitely strengthened the impression of vast userbase / staff disconnect) made things volatile really fast, and even now that the issue is mostly over, that much bitter taste doesn't fade easy. Which is why, even though there's not really anything to squawk over anymore, I still feel like crossing swords with people and looking at my Solstices with more irritation than delight. I think people on both sides of the debate feel this way. I'll get over it sooner than later, and presumably so will everyone else, but that's how it is right now. OTL

Now, to bring this really long post towards a close, a compromise was reached eventually. I'm disappointed that this particular solution was chosen over a one time revert sprite option, because it would have given everyone the ability to get what they would have gotten if they'd only known. No one would be "cheating" their way into gaining anything--they'd have planned and gotten that from the start.

I've also had my faith in how holidays function shaken. Holidays already offer a wealth of exclusive perks for those who participate in them. The event, the raffle tickets for that year, CBs of a new dragon, the event badge... but now I'll also have that little nagging worry, every year, that I might also have to worry about the beautiful dragons I collect one year not coming back the same way the next. It's a precedent I wish had not been set, and thus it is with a lingering unease that I go onward to Valentine's Day.

But anyway: at the end of the day, both sprites will be available again. And that is awesome. I'm very glad that TJ, spriter, and user base reached an agreement that solves the greatest problem I had with the original plan, even if it's not a solution I consider ideal. However--as per all the above--I'm still not quite ready to sit back and laugh about the whole affair, even if I am going to make a concentrated effort to start backing out of the discussion.

I'm just glad it's over, with rosy wings and blue wings both available, and hoping this type of craziness doesn't happen again.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Worrying about the future is okay.

Antagonism is not okay.

That's about all that I feel needs to be said about the situation now that it's been resolved through compromise.

I would like to offer a dose of a slightly different perspective:

The Solstice dragons officially "began" in early 2010, shortly after I first started playing Dragon Cave and quite a while before I learned how to actually create pixel art. I got it into my head that it would be absolutely amazing to have a sprite that embodied the spirit of hope and renewal that endures even in the darkest, coldest part of the year, and I couldn't shake it.

The very first sketch of a Solstice dragon I ever did looked almost nothing like her present-day sister. Once I taught myself how to sprite (thanks to the endless patience of my amazing friends, Fizzix and Jaz) and had a completed set of dragon sprites under my belt (the Bloodscales, though they would not be released until more than a year later), I again tried my hand at breathing life into the majestic lady haunting the corners of my mind. After sketching and spriting the lines and making several fruitless attempts to finish, I found I did not have the skill or confidence yet to color her. After that, I all but gave up on the idea (and DC itself, thanks to stress at school) until DC's 7th birthday when the Bloodscales got released.

Suddenly all I wanted to draw was dragons. Along with other projects, I once again drew and sprited a whole new Solstice dragon, and once again I failed to finish her. But the spark of hope had been ignited and I felt like the dragon herself was telling me she was ready to be born. I tried one last time to sprite her from scratch, with a new design and a new pose, and this time I felt the tumblers fall into line. Scarcely a week after throwing away my third attempt, I had all but finished the fourth, and in June of 2013 I was proud to call the Solstice dragon, leaping proudly into the sky with her winter-blue wings outstretched, "complete". Jaz had been there all the way providing support and feedback, and when I discovered that I was still quite lame at spriting cute, tiny things, he gladly helped me nail down the lines for the hatchlings.

For 5 months I stared at that sprite, as terrified as I was proud, absolutely certain that this thing I considered the best I would ever make would not be good enough to make the cut. I would tweak a pixel here, adjust a shade there, ask Jaz yet again if he felt it "needed" something until I was pretty sure he was going to fly down and shove my computer - dragon and all - down my throat. Sometime in October or November I made the mistake of saying "wouldn't it be cool if" and set about putting sunrise hues on the ventral sides of our alts' wings. It turned out surprisingly well and, feeling rather guilty, I decided to try the pattern out on the blue Solstices. That looked really good too.

Suddenly I had two versions of what was meant to be THE release version of the sprite, and I couldn't decide which I preferred. I feared that the sunrise hues made the dragon looked "overdressed", though I really liked the effect, but conversely I was still harboring fears that the blue one wasn't "fancy" enough to measure up to previous releases like Winter Magis. Jaz told me to submit both and let TJ decide, so at the beginning of December I made my bid and sat back to suffer through the month-long wait and inevitable disappointment on Christmas Day when my baby would fail to be chosen after 3 years of dreaming.

At 11:00pm on Christmas Eve (I live in the central time zone), my squeal of happiness woke my mother up on the opposite side of the house. I had spent the entire day literally sick with anticipation, daring myself to hope and hating myself for it, and all that stress came out in one great big rush that kept me from thinking straight or sleeping for four hours afterward.

I did not know until TJ's Solstices began to grow up which set of wings TJ had chosen to release. So certain was I that he would choose blue, I left the wing reference on her reference sheet solid blue - only to discover at work that he had opted instead for the rainbow hues. I rushed home to recolor the reference image so I could post it in the thread.

It was not until later that I was told TJ was interested in somehow incorporating both of my sprites into the game somehow. Having fallen in love with the solid blue wings in the months leading up to Christmas, I was ecstatic that it would still have a chance to be used, and Jaz - who of course was involved in the creation of the Snow Angels, and really liked how Snow Angels behaved differently than all other holiday dragons - was excited as well. We discussed and came up with a solution that all three of us were happy with, and then waited for this Christmas to come.

To be completely honest, I knew there would be people who would get upset by the way the dragon behaved. Someone always gets upset about something around here, and I wasn't afraid of it. What I did not expect was for people to get so rabidly up in arms about such a minor change in the sprite that they would paint the forums with their anger and seek me out on IRC and in PM to vent their frustrations at me directly - as if, in giving them the very creature I fell in love with that June, I had maliciously stolen something from them. Someone who caught one of the solstice offspring from my alt named it something unkind, knowing that I would be able to see it.

Certainly there were rays of sunshine. A lot of people came out excited about the new colors, and many others came to me voicing their thanks and support. But I was keeping up with all the suggestion threads and hearing everything people were saying about how they felt about TJ's and Jaz's and my decision to do as we'd done. Let me tell you, not all of them were kindly worded. A few were downright cruel. Most people just wanted the option of getting both even if it meant waiting until the next year, so TJ and I started discussing options and I worked on amending my concept for the dragon as a whole.

When TJ announced the idea we had agreed upon, the dialogue changed. Sure, there was still the repetitive condemnation of how things had unfolded, but added to that was the sudden addition that not only did people want the option to have both wings made available to them, but some of them also wanted the option of picking all their wing colors for this year.

Now that the plan has been executed, and people were given what they originally asked for - the option to get both wing colors - I have seen people grumble about how this was the worst way to handle the whole situation, how they have to kill and release their Solstices because their lineages are ruined.

People are still thankful - for one reason or another. I see that. Such words have not fallen on deaf ears, and I've still been getting nice messages. I am so thankful to every single person who has voiced their support, expressed their love, and given me gifts.

But people are also killing my dragons out of spite. As though they have no use and no value because they are not what that person wants. We don't have breed limits on holiday dragons anymore, and yet people would rather spill my dragons' blood than adapt and try something they hadn't planned on trying before. These are the things that, sadly, are going to beg to be remembered, and no it will not prevent me from designing my dragons the way I want to design them in the future.

I would just like to thank everyone again who has taken a moment out of their day to show their support and understanding in one way or another. You are the reason I sprite for DC, and I love you all.

Was just able to read this (and haven't caught up with the rest of the thread yet) but but...

/hug?

Solstices are easily on my top 10 list of favorite dragons. I was a little bummed I wouldn't be able to get Rosy winged ones, as I missed the CBs, but they're still amazing dragons, and I love the blue winged ones as well. I guess for collectors sake I wanted both? But I'm also happy with collecting pretty lineages :3

Thank you so much for being willing to work with everybody to find a compromise - whether everyone is happy or not, birdzgoboom hit it on the nail when she called it your baby... (And made me feel a little guilty for wanting all the dragons!). I truly appreciate that you shared your beautiful idea with us all!

To be honest, I don't see why people are still complaining. Sure, it's disappointing that some solstices may not have coloured the way you wanted, but at least now everyone can get both!

I, for one, am very grateful that everyone can get both sprites. Isn't it enough that this change was made so that both pretty sprites were available? Why must people complain about miscoloured dragons when they could be smiling over the good things that happened?

Thank you TJ and Odeen. Thank you for both solstices.

Personally I was upset because I had no idea there was another sprite made. I mean, if you breed and raise an egg and it grows up to basically be a different dragon, yeah it's upsetting. Especially when you have to wait another year to get the one you intended to get. Worse, originally we would have never been able to get more of that variation ever again. It would have been neat if there was a button for the original sprite and the new sprite and users could choose which one they wanted their adults to be, and next year there could be a better warning.

I mean, with the original sprite only being available to caveborn dragons, essentially we were 'surprised' with what is basically a discontinuation of the original sprite. I can't imagine people not being upset by that. People are still fighting for bright pinks and we had fair warning about that. I like that a compromise was made but it still sucks having to wait a whole year.

Sorry if I missed it, but can someone point me in the direction where this was discussed prior to christmas? Someone mentioned that this was discussed before christmas and users had a chance to vote but I don't see the thread. Personally, if it's not in the news section, I usually don't see it.

Edited by Syaoransbear

Sorry if I missed it, but can someone point me in the direction where this was discussed prior to christmas? Someone mentioned that this was discussed before christmas and users had a chance to vote but I don't see the thread. Personally, if it's not in the news section, I usually don't see it.

The sprite changes were discussed in this thread https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=165469&st=0. They were also mentioned in one of the holiday even news posts. I didn't know until PieMaster pointed them out in a news post.