Esko

No mistakes

((Yup, sadly too late. But seriously, didn't I make it clear that they would recieve them as hatchlings? Plus, the kids KNOW ALREADY that they will recieve them as hatchlings))

((If you talking to me I meant in that clutch...))

Oliver was already outside. He knew what, or who to be more specific, his destined dragon was. He still remembered the argument 10 years ago.

"It is GOING!"

"No! He's mine, and you have no say what I do with him!"

"I never allowed you to have children."

"I never allowed you to have children, and look at Ollie-boy here. You aren't my master, you're my partner."

At that point she had taken the egg and was about to smash it when Oliver grabbed it and ran. He stood by the doorway, clutching it in his arms tightly and shivering with fear of his mother lashing out at him.

"Don't kill my partner!"

Both human and dragon stared at Oliver, dumbfounded, the complete opposite of what Oliver had expected (he had expected a sharp 'how would YOU ever know your partner, you're only four!'). Without speaking, Dimondine picked up the child and the egg, holding the toddler gently in her claws, and took off. She took Ollie to the very cave he stood at now and told him; "In 10 years time, you will come back here and find your partner. If Echo is not here, he can't be your partner, because you'll never find him. Hide him here well and never forget where you left him."

Everything after was fuzzy, but now Oliver stood with Echo in hand- er, well, basket. He didn't talk to anyone, just sat, rubbing the little hatchling's head gently. "Remember me, Echo?" he asked quietly. The little hatchling smiled slightly in his sleep, almost as if the young Guardian had heard him and understood completely.

((I HAD A MOMENT OF INSPIRATION AND IT SPIRALED INTO DESTRUCTION OF MY PERFECTLY GOOD POST... Dun ask.))

Edited by MyaMouse

Nike looked around, loosening her scarf. Heads... Heads... Ugh! She couldn't see anything but heads. It's always like this, in the back of the crowd. But that's where it's quiet and she can think. Nike took out her yo-yo and swirled it around. So organized-yet so unpredictable. Muffled sounds ahead... then it stopped. Footsteps... it's started!

Hatchlings were scattered. Some were swarmed around by others. She saw the pygmies, the easterns, the westerns. And a ditch. Nike walked over.

A small dull red and black hatchling lay in the hole, skinny and barely breathing. Its eyes were nearly shut, lacking any healthy glow or emotion. Deep claw wounds were prominently decorating its front left leg. It was alone. It seemed like other dragons had even been avoiding it. Nike gently felt its scales. They were colder than the snow, yet sharper than a knife at the edges. She packed a thin layer of snow onto the frail leg's wounds. The hatchling winced, but the movement obviously brought more pain to it than the snow.

"You, " she whispered, " you're the one." She gently stroked it under the jaw and placed it her basket. It was light, bony. Nike placed her scarf on it. It started to move, like it didn't like the scarf. The pain in its eyes pleaded her to remove it. Does it want to be cold?

She started to walk back. The hatchling grunted, much to Nike's surprise. "I don't know what you are, but I'm not letting you die." she whispered to it.

Takaki had been standing outside for a very long while already. What's taking him so long?((Ahem Esko SNK Ahem)) Takaki looked at his hatchling again. It looked very peaceful in its sleep. He sighed and went back into the cave, forgetting his original thought of leaving it as quickly as possible because of its inhabitants.

He found Esko, still looking at the hatchling that was alone. He signalled to Esko that he should take it outside. He stood there waiting for Esko to reply.

Esko began to tip-toe outside once Takaki motioned him out. The hatchling slept soundly in his basket, occasionally shifting in its sleep. It seemed to purr, and that comforted Esko. Comforted him so much, he did not see a dragons' toe under his shoe.

Then he stepped on it.

It was the toe of a Brute, and it let out a yelp that echoed through the whole cave. Esko wore an 'oh censorkip.gif' face as the dragons got up and stared. Seeing humans, they did nothing, but there was noise growing at the back of the cave....

Razorbats. One of the many human eating creatures that lurked in the caves. They were the main creature in this cave besides dragons, and in swarms, they were fatal. A hoard of them was headed towards the humans.

Without saying a word, Esko rushed towards the cave, but some Razorbats were in his way. I HAVE to be the one to get us all killed, don't I?

Oh crap! was the only thought in Nike's mind. She heard the yelp, which she subconsciously identified as a Brute's. Someone woke one up. At first she quickly reassured herself that the dragons wouldn't hurt anyone, but recalled what else lurked in the cave. Nike darted back to the ditch she found the hatchling in and tumbled in. The fall was anything but graceful, and she landed deep in the snow. She zipped her sweater up so far it covered her face, revealing a printed face showing slit eyes and fangs of a dragon. That wasn't important: the huge air pocket it created was.

The plan seemed foolproof; stay in the ditch until the Razorbats subsided. If they came too close, she'd bury herself and the hatchling, using the air trapped in her sweater. All she had to do was wait.

Takaki jumped when he heard the yelp coming from the Brute. He calmed himself, remembering that dragons only ever fought humans in fairy tales.

Then there were Razorbats.

Takaki froze as he saw the things come out the cave. Of course, Esko was still in there.

censorkip.gif .

He had several options. Go run for help, which was a rather less life-threatening option, or he could go in there himself.

He ran towards the cave ignoring how much his mind screamed at him to turn back.

Cradling his found hatchling around his other arm he held the basket tightly and swung it towards the Razorbats. It wasn't meant to hit them, but hopefully they would dodge and allow him to get through. They did.

He ran over to Esko, who he realized was the one who had stepped on the Brute.

"Jeez, you idiot." Takaki pulled him along, swinging the basket around him again at the dispersed (and angry) Razorbats before dropping him in the snow outside. Of course the Razorbats were not pleased with this, some breaking past the main group flying towards the duo.

((Take that, and that, and some crap))