angelicdragonpuppy

Hide / Remove time from repeatedly abandoned eggs

Because of the way how I AP-hunt, I don't support this. I often pick up commons, check their lineage and think "That's ok, wouldn't mind keeping it, but let's see if I come across something I like more". I memorize the codes, and throw them back expecting they'll be picked up and re-abandoned, so I can take them later. I'd really hate those eggs to become invisible and unreachable in the backlog in the meantime. I want to be able to come back to an egg if I change my mind.

(Yeah, I know there's a slim chance it gets adopted permanently in the meantime and I can't have it, but then it'll have a home at least)

I could live with a different feature that would serve the same purpose though: What if an egg lost a little time each time it gets picked up and re-abandoned? I'd suggest removing 5 (maybe 10) minutes for each time an egg is picked up. So after having been thrown back 12 (maybe 6) times, the timer would be reduced by an hour, even if only a couple of minutes have passed.

Given that the AP currently has eggs ranging from 5d 20h to 5d 21h and rarely has a range of more than 4-5 hours, reducing the timer by a couple of hours should make an egg attractive enough so it gets picked up.

I could think of two different ways of reasoning for this:

1. The egg gets picked up by a human who warms it by holding it, the human casts a spell (to examine the lineage) and some of the magic is absorbed by the egg. The procedure has the same effect as a mini-incubate.

2. Hell, the poor egg is taken up and thrown away again by several humans in a row? This can't be good for a growing dragon, so it comes a bit closer to death with each time it's re-abandoned. Closer to death actually means with a lower timer, not with more views - so stop registering views while an egg is without an owner, and reduce the timer instead. Views could start to count after an egg has stayed on a scroll for a certain time (I'm thinking about something between 5 minutes and 1 hour).

tl;dr: No from me to hiding such eggs in the backlog, but what about reducing their timer by a couple of minutes for each abandon instead?

Edited by Ha-Ki

Ha-Ki's idea has potential. My two issues are

1. That would probably be much harder to code--changing the nature of wait time vs just hiding an egg for an hour before throwing it back into the batch

2. It wouldn't necessarily help with the original problem of "graaaaah I'm tired of picking up this egg!" Those who would want to re-pick up the egg could potentially get back on in an hour to catch it when it is rereleased

Because of the way how I AP-hunt, I don't support this. I often pick up commons, check their lineage and think "That's ok, wouldn't mind keeping it, but let's see if I come across something I like more". I memorize the codes, and throw them back expecting they'll be picked up and re-abandoned, so I can take them later. I'd really hate those eggs to become invisible and unreachable in the backlog in the meantime. I want to be able to come back to an egg if I change my mind.

(Yeah, I know there's a slim chance it gets adopted permanently in the meantime and I can't have it, but then it'll have a home at least)

I could live with a different feature that would serve the same purpose though: What if an egg lost a little time each time it gets picked up and re-abandoned? I'd suggest removing 5 (maybe 10) minutes for each time an egg is picked up. So after having been thrown back 12 (maybe 6) times, the timer would be reduced by an hour, even if only a couple of minutes have passed.

Given that the AP currently has eggs ranging from 5d 20h to 5d 21h and rarely has a range of more than 4-5 hours, reducing the timer by a couple of hours should make an egg attractive enough so it gets picked up.

I could think of two different ways of reasoning for this:

1. The egg gets picked up by a human who warms it by holding it, the human casts a spell (to examine the lineage) and some of the magic is absorbed by the egg. The procedure has the same effect as a mini-incubate.

2. Hell, the poor egg is taken up and thrown away again by several humans in a row? This can't be good for a growing dragon, so it comes a bit closer to death with each time it's re-abandoned. Closer to death actually means with a lower timer, not with more views - so stop registering views while an egg is without an owner, and reduce the timer instead. Views could start to count after an egg has stayed on a scroll for a certain time (I'm thinking about something between 5 minutes and 1 hour).

tl;dr: No from me to hiding such eggs in the backlog, but what about reducing their timer by a couple of minutes for each abandon instead?

Indeed, a lot of us put back eggs which are nice but unsuitable for our needs - I was assuming that something like perhaps... dunno... somewhere between maybe ?50-100? total returns would be necessary to have the egg set aside for another day to return at a lower time.

I do like your idea of knocking off time with each re-abandonment, though, especially since each egg gains a day after surfacing on the AP to be picked up.

Ha-Ki's idea has potential. My two issues are

1. That would probably be much harder to code--changing the nature of wait time vs just hiding an egg for an hour before throwing it back into the batch

2. It wouldn't necessarily help with the original problem of "graaaaah I'm tired of picking up this egg!" Those who would want to re-pick up the egg could potentially get back on in an hour to catch it when it is rereleased

1. Actually I think it should be easier to code than the original suggestion, because it's something that is carried out every time a certain action (in this case abandoning an egg) happens. For the other suggestion, you'd have to register by whom the egg has been abandoned, as it says 15+ different users, and then something (hiding the egg in the backlog) happens only under certain circumstances. Anyway, that's something only TJ can decide.

2. I think it would be even faster, since every bounce would remove a few minutes from the timer, even if the same person has picked up and thrown back the same egg before. How long is it going to take if you wait for 15+ different users to abandon that egg? Probably quite a while, so if you don't check the code you're likely to pick it up several times before it is hidden anyway.

I see slight potential for abuse if two users can bounce an egg back and forth and it loses time every time, but on the other hand you'd have to bounce an egg a lot to come even close to what incubate can do. And if someone has the patience to bounce an egg 288 times (in the example with 5 minutes removed each time), why not grant them the 24 h reduction of the timer, they worked hard for it xd.png

But I'm hijacking ADP's thread here - let me know what you think about this and whether you'd like to add it to the OP as an alternative, or if I should put it in a separate thread smile.gif

Edit: ninja.gif 'd by Syphoneira

Edited by Ha-Ki