angelicdragonpuppy

Hide / Remove time from repeatedly abandoned eggs

What if, if an egg in the AP is abandoned by a certain considerable amount of unique users (maybe 15? 20?), that egg becomes "invisible" for 24 hours, after which it shows in the AP again? This would effectively drop the time on these less desirable eggs by an entire day, which simultaneously makes them more desirable and gets them out of the AP for the time being. The number of people who need to dump it is debatable, but IMO if 15+ different people have abandoned it, it's probably not a highly sought after egg. The reason it'd be specifically x number of different users abandoning an egg versus being abandoned x times in general is because we don't want just a couple users bouncing the same egg back and forth until it gets sent back (ex: I grab a nicely lineaged egg but decide not to keep it, player X does the same, I grab it again and repeat, they grab it again and repeat, etc etc until an egg that would've normally been soon kept by someone else gets thrown to the back).

The in game logic behind this would just be that, after so much jostling (due to being handled by so many people), the egg ended up taking an unfortunate roll deeper back into the cave. I'm not sure this needs to be spelled out specifically (maybe just in the help page of the site?), but if it does, maybe the final person to abandon it could see some related flavor text.

Ex: "You go to set the egg down outside the cave where you found it, but it rolls from your hands as you do so, tumbling further back into the darkness. Perhaps someone else will pick it up later."

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I think I like this. It makes sense, and makes those less-wanted eggs more wanted once they loose time, and keeps the backlog less by exposing the more-desirable (by a wider audience) eggs.

Cheers!

C4.

I think this could be a really good idea. Especially since I'll find myself regrabbing the same egg, which means (if my understanding is correct) that when I'm watching the Abandoned cave, someone else has also grabbed and abandoned it since the last time I grabbed it and abandoned it. This would keep that from happening quite as much.

I don't hunt the AP very often but I wouldn't mind seeing this implemented. Would this apply the same way to holiday eggs in the AP as well? I think that'd be really nice, considering that I've done quite a bit of holiday AP hunting only to see the same egg get tossed around between people forever when clearly nobody wants it at that time.

I think this could be a really good idea. Especially since I'll find myself regrabbing the same egg, which means (if my understanding is correct) that when I'm watching the Abandoned cave, someone else has also grabbed and abandoned it since the last time I grabbed it and abandoned it. This would keep that from happening quite as much.

Yup, that's exactly what's happening. I hate it, ergo my purpose in suggesting this. xd.png

I don't hunt the AP very often but I wouldn't mind seeing this implemented. Would this apply the same way to holiday eggs in the AP as well? I think that'd be really nice, considering that I've done quite a bit of holiday AP hunting only to see the same egg get tossed around between people forever when clearly nobody wants it at that time.

Yes, it'd apply to Holiday eggs as well. smile.gif

You have the greatest ideas! biggrin.gif I'm in favour of this.

As always a new suggestion from ADP means well-thought-out and desirable for a lot of people. I LIKE it.

Seems like a great idea to make the AP cycle more and to make the "undesirable" egg more desirable by having it spend some time in the backlog.

Support.

I don't AP hunt often, but it is annoying when I toss an egg back, only to pick it up again later multiple times. I try to negate this by remembering the code and checking the code of same breed before clicking, but that's not always feasible, especially when the egg is a highly desirable egg (such has holidays, rares, etc).

So I support this suggestion.

I'd have to look and see if this is actually a problem in need of a solution. I don't really pay much attention to how many times a single egg is grabbed then abandoned again, but my guess is it's not actually all that high, especially since, in the absence of holiday breeding, the abandoned area reaches a steady state of eggs that can be very quickly hatched.

I'd have to look and see if this is actually a problem in need of a solution. I don't really pay much attention to how many times a single egg is grabbed then abandoned again, but my guess is it's not actually all that high, especially since, in the absence of holiday breeding, the abandoned area reaches a steady state of eggs that can be very quickly hatched.

I think you'll be surprised. Its not every egg, and its less common when the AP is down around 5 days, but when the AP is higher timed like this the messier the egg the longer it sticks around.

*shrug*

I personally really prefer the Royal Blue BSA to deal with this same problem.

Cheers!

C4.

"Very quickly hatched" doesn't quite hit the point when the AP stalls at 5 days 18ish hours ... still means waiting almost a day for it to hatch.

Yes, I've become spoiled and impatient with the <5d AP xd.png

I don't really pay much attention to how many times a single egg is grabbed then abandoned again, but my guess is it's not actually all that high, especially since, in the absence of holiday breeding, the abandoned area reaches a steady state of eggs that can be very quickly hatched.

well, I know that some eggs sit for quite a long time, whilst vanishing in the meantime (someone picked them up).

and the AP currently sits at 5d16-5d19 - TJ question coming up here for you:

Do you have any "sweet spot" for how much time eggs in the AP should have?

I personally always thought that 7 days is a lot to have as you can get the same eggs from the cave, so it should not be the target time. 6 days? 5days? I personally would set it at somewhat like 5d12h, due to the fact that incuhatching all day and freezing or trading them is not what I'd envision the AP should be like. (personal bias)

Well, it is a bit of a problem. Especially if the egg turns up in various places in the AP, reaching from row 1 to row 3. (I haven't actually seen one that spans all four rows yet. But I'm not hunting the AP all that often.) And, yes, this does happen with commons. A lot.

Unfortunately, it only takes two people picking it up one after the other for the egg to be available for you again. Which is why I'm skeptical about giving it a 10+ user cap. I'd prefer a mechanism that shows those eggs you've picked up before, maybe by adding a grey box (not too distracting) or making the egg visibly transparent.

Yes, something like that. Only I'm not so sure this should be a BSA instead of a site feature.

A site feature would be much preferable, as it helps everyone - after all, do you really want to pick up and abandon the same egg all over again?

And: Even if you want to do it, all you'd have to do is look for those that ARE indeed, marked. smile.gif

So except for not liking some of the layouts, I don't see many objections coming to such a feature, while removing eggs from the AP might.

Edited by whitebaron

I think I'd prefer the BSA. If it were a site feature, we'd have people complaining about it needing to be opt in / opt out and the like. And if its going to be that way anyway, might as well get some use from my Royal Blues! The time for each Royal blue is 24 hrs, which is quite a long time.

Cheers!

C4.

I'd love this!

I was on the AP yesterday on and off, with the same few eggs recycling through much of this, hoping to high heavens we don't go back to general multi-clutching, lol.

Been getting spoilt with pretty lineages and CB Commons, but now people seem to be mass-breeding messies again, drat it! laugh.gif

Edit: The Undisputed Typo Queen!

(The name says it all, lol.)

Edited by Syphoneira

I prefer the BSA, too.

The advantage to this is that the eggs are not just marked so that people can avoid them, but withdrawn for a day and would likely come back Incuhatchable/ER - ERs will eventually be picked up, and messies are at least useful for Freezing, for those who like youth armies.

If this is repeatable and the egg can be withdrawn again after umpteen drop-backs, it eventually wouldn't return UNTIL ER, when someone would take it, since it could be gotten out of the way quickly, assuming they had enough Freezes.

But if everyone just avoids picking up marked messies, the AP would become Blocked with them, and nothing else could surface in there until they were ER, so no/wasted AP hunting time for everyone until then...

The advantage to this is that the eggs are not just marked so that people can avoid them, but withdrawn for a day and would likely come back Incuhatchable/ER - ERs will eventually be picked up, and messies are at least useful for Freezing, for those who like youth armies.

If this is repeatable and the egg can be withdrawn again after umpteen drop-backs, it eventually wouldn't return UNTIL ER, when someone would take it, since it could be gotten out of the way quickly, assuming they had enough Freezes.

But if everyone just avoids picking up marked messies, the AP would become Blocked with them, and nothing else could surface in there until they were ER, so no/wasted AP hunting time for everyone until then...

People already avoid those same messies, and the AP isn't blocking with them. Right now, they stick around until someone who wants them picks them up. So I don't think its a worry.

Cheers!

C4.

I totally support this. I still remember when I first started playing, when the AP was filled with ER eggs. This could make it easier to find eggs like that.

I do, however, think there should be a limit. Though it might never occur, I don't think the egg should go past ER. There's no reason for it, as a 3day egg and a 1day egg are about the same. This is just my opinion, but I don't want the AP to have severely ER eggs.

People don't necessarily go to the Abandoned Cave only to find eggs that can be hatched quickly. When I hunt in the Abandoned Cave, I'm usually still keeping an eye out for specific breeds. I know there was a period of time where I picked up the same Nebula egg 5 or 6 times. It was a Nebula, but it also had a really horrible lineage, so my brain continuously went "OOO SHINEY. Oh... Nevermind."

I should have probably learned after the third or fourth time but... I really like Nebulas tongue.gif

If that egg were to disappear until it had a lower time, then it would have become more desirable, horrible lineage or no.

People don't necessarily go to the Abandoned Cave only to find eggs that can be hatched quickly. When I hunt in the Abandoned Cave, I'm usually still keeping an eye out for specific breeds. I know there was a period of time where I picked up the same Nebula egg 5 or 6 times. It was a Nebula, but it also had a really horrible lineage, so my brain continuously went "OOO SHINEY. Oh... Nevermind."

I should have probably learned after the third or fourth time but... I really like Nebulas tongue.gif

If that egg were to disappear until it had a lower time, then it would have become more desirable, horrible lineage or no.

Yup, a lot of us are looking for pretty lineages or CBs, and while we will take a lot more from a much broader range if ER, I'd had enough of ER cleaning years ago and Released all inbreds after a horrible accident, so since I don't Freeze, really don't want to tie up egg spaces/clog up my scroll with messies again.

I'll leave them for those who say they like them, lol.

Edit: a lot of these low-time unwanteds are probably being taken by AP cleaner groups, actually - unfortunately, I'd noticed in the past that they're often going by Blocker sprite status, and remove CBs potentially useful to someone while leaving messies useless to almost everyone, except perhaps as youth army material.

Dunno if anyone's going for cleaning messies specifically these days or not...

Edited by Syphoneira