Seiti

The Botanical Topic

Hello, this is a topic for all plants enthusiasts

here a few suggestions, what you can post(of course you can also write something other botanical related)

in this topic you can tell which plants do you grow. Whether if you just have "common" ones or if you grow vegetables or you have spectacular or rare plants.

photos are very welcome

do you have tasted an uncommon exotic fruit?

do you know strange, interesting plants?

Plant/Seed Trading

Do you seach seeds/bulbs of a particular plant?

Do you have seeds/bulbs for trade

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

then I'd write the first entry

I grow many plants from vegetable, common room- and garden plants to exotic plants like carnivorous plants and Amorphophallus

here are a few of my plants(more photos and other species which I grow, will follow later)

Cephalotus follicularis, a carnivorous plant

user posted image

user posted image

Dieffenbachia 'Reflector'

user posted image

Typhonium venosum(Sauromatum venosum) the odor is very lovely^^ but only if you are a fly

user posted image

the strangest what I have ever tasted(and smelled of course xd.png ) was a durian(Durio zibethinus), the odor is very "lovely" (it's a lie, it stinks) it taste like onion pudding tongue.gif

user posted image

last year I tased a fruit that I did not know so far: safou (Dacryodes edulis) a very colorful fruit: its violet, the flavor and consistency was such as avocado

I currently seach:

Hawaii sweet onion(think a other name is Maui sweet onion) seeds, but I am also interested if someone have experience who already tasted this onion(is it really sweet?)

Muscadine (Vitis rotundifolia) I found a shop who sale them but they don't ship to my country, somone here who live in the United States and can order and ship them to me?

this is a nice topic. I wish i was more a plant enthusiast! But things don't go well for me when it comes to more exotic plants, so i just stay with the more common house hold plants. Ive always wanted to get into doing Bonsai, i even bought a book and tools for it, but maybe i dont have the patients lol. Ive had orchids, and i can keep them growing but they never flower for me mad.gif which also reminds me i have a miniature gardenia potted plant, and it requires fertilizer to grow/bloom. i really need to find out what kind of fertilizer and how much to give it so i can make it bloom this year! I also need afican violent food sad.gif Im such a bad plant parent! I also have a flamingo house plant that never blooms and i dont know why dry.gif

yay, first who answer on this topic poptartFINALTINY.gif

Iam too wanted to get into doing Bonsai, joined a bonsaiforum but then I less employed with this.

Maybe I will working again, sometime. A few lignified small shrubs I have who look like it could be a nice source material for a bonsai.

My orchids also sometimes don't want bloom, once I have very neglect them(less water and fertilizer) and I was thinking about to sell them because without flowers orchids look boring but then suddenly all start to flower.

I forget often to fertilize, a slow release fertilizer helps a lot, in particular for plants who are outside in a pot who I often don't can fertilize because when it rain the soil is too wet to water and fertilize them

if you want that a plant flower use a fertilicer with a lot phosphate

my flamingo plant also first don't want do bloom, I think I wait 1,5 year until it bloom, a light enough location and fertilizer it regularly(or some plants start to bloom if you put them under stress: less water and fertilizer for some time, after that start to give it more water and fertilize it)

here flower of an dragoncave related plant^^ Dragon Arum Dracunculus vulgaris, very exotic looking but its winterhardy

user posted image

because of my many plants, I have barely windowless spaces left in winter, so I in particular like plants as Gloriosa lily Gloriosa rothschildiana, who can wintered without light as tuber

user posted image

There's actually a Plants and Gardening topic here: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=137821 but this thread could be for other botany discussions. =3

I'm sure we will be having a lot of botany discussion tongue.gif

Seiti-

are those your actual photos of your plants???

And i think it depends on the plants, but are you supposed to fertilize a certain time of the year, or is whenever fine?

There's actually a Plants and Gardening topic here: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=137821 but this thread could be for other botany discussions. =3

don't know that there is already a plant topic, if you want you can put those 2 topics together to one

usually more fertilizer during spring and summer, and lesser in autumn and winter

yes that are photos of my own plants, here are a few more

Tropical water lily 'Nymphaea Blue Aster' I wonder that it got last year so many flowers because 2014 here in Austria it was no real summer: not much sun and rain, rain, rain... dry.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Seiti

your plants are incredible! i am so amazed by them! keep posting more.

i will go look in to fertilizer here this weekend. i think spring like weather starts early here from my understanding. A few days a go i bought some zennia seeds, a variety of them. they should be hardy enough for me to take care of lol. And they attract butterfly and bees. I would love to plant some dahlias and other flowers but i don't think i am quite there to do that yet lol. I'm not a big rose fan but i do like some miniature roses, and i saw some purple ones and i bought it and it just died on me. i really thought they would be easy to take care of so i'm not sure what went wrong since they died fairly quickly lol and they were so pretty too!

thank you,

those miniature roses where grown in exactly matched greenhouse conditions and are often treated with with a growth compressively substance, it is difficult for the plant to get used again to normal conditions. They also need to acclimatize that at some point this substance will be volatilized. they are also not so bred robust like "Normal" roses. miniature roses are often sadly conceived as disposable plants.

about roses, first I was not interested in those. and then through my job in a plant shop make them first even less popular to me, because its "fun"(not really tongue.gif ) to remove yellow or or fungus infested leaves when you get stung despite gloves, in particular those from you mentioned miniature roses where a pain, because its hard to remove tiny yellow leaves. I had also often make the floor clean, because dead leaves and flower petals covered frequent the ground

and do someone is overthrown before in roses? no, that happened to me. similar to the famous catchphrase I took an "arrow" in the knee.just without a arrow my kneecap jumped out ohmy.gif But otherwise they also have damped a bit the impact of hard asphalt floor where the potted roses stand.

in the hospital I was lying on a gurney full of rose petals, I was on a bed of roses, some people made jokes about it xd.png

later I had a hate-love with them, I still hate them because to be stung when you want remove leaves, but I also acquire a liking for the flowers and their odor

and now I own myself a few roses, and will buy with safety more or them

now enough text here are pictures of 3 of my roses

Pretty Sunrise

user posted image

Alfred Sisley

user posted image

Ile rouge(the flower is not so pretty but I like the varigated foliage)

user posted image

user posted image

I also own a a awesone gray violet colored rose 'Novalis' and the pink white rose 'Leo Ferre'

Edited by Seiti

Ooh, more botany!

I own lots of orchids (rarest being a pink Vanda/Paphiopedilum album [hybrid]) as exotics.

Most exotic plant... Huh.

Might have to be the... Damn I forgot the name...

But it looks like a dragon fruit flower, and it blooms at night.

Exotic fruits eaten... Has to be the mangosteen (purple). Very interesting fruit.

Bump: I remember now. The legendary epiphyllum oxypetalum.

And also a red epiphyllum. One flower bloomed today, sadly, it's spent now.