TJ09

2014-12-25 - Happy Holidays!

So, I'm a little new to Dragon Cave (I started in September) and the first Halloween event was overwhelming for me. I did manage to get at least two of every dragon though! biggrin.gif

But I haven't been in an event that has a raffle yet. I know that in previous years, there have been Holiday Raffles, where users won Tinsels or Shimmerscales, but how and when is the raffle held, and how are you notified if you won?

The raffle entries are gathered during the week before and of Christmas (and this year, after) by participating in whatever the event is. After, TJ draws names of winners and they are notified by email/ a clickable link. He generally also makes various news threads throughout January or February for DC to track raffle progress and know when winners have been announced or if there are any changes, like redraws. The best thing to do is watch the news section of the forum.

The raffle entries are gathered during the week before and of Christmas (and this year, after) by participating in whatever the event is. After, TJ draws names of winners and they are notified by email/ a clickable link. He generally also makes various news threads throughout January or February for DC to track raffle progress and know when winners have been announced or if there are any changes, like redraws. The best thing to do is watch the news section of the forum.

Oh thank you so much! That helped a lot.

Okay, so I just noticed this right now but ... why are there the new releases in abandoned?! Why would you abandon them!? WHY?!

Maybe to try to give others a shot at them, thinking they're hard for some to grab in cave? That's the only reason I can think of. Or maybe to make room for something more valuable to you and on a very short time-limit, since the new ones will drop for two more days after all.

As for favorite/least favorite holiday breeds my list is rough but goes something like this...

Favorites: Holly, Wrappingwing

Liked: Solstice (WAS a favorite before the bluewing thing, sigh; still like them, just not as much), Winter Magi, Snow Angel (I get goldwings on my scroll which I don't like nearly as much as triwings; if I got triwings they'd be a favorite)

So-So, depends on lineage: Ribbon Dancer

Meh: Yulebuck (I've never liked these; even back when they were new I found them sort of ugly and weird-looking)

Edited by Lurhstaap

People also start code-hunting, and abandon the ones that they misclick.

These look like little Grinches and I hope they look like Grinches when they grow up b/c that is what I'm going to base my naming theme off of. happy.gif

Edit: well actually now that I look more closely at them, they look like little Sugarplum fairies or grinchy butterflies? I'm pretty stumped. Snowglobes --> Grinch --> Fairies. xd.png

I feel as if these dragons are going to take a 2nd or 3rd behind Hollies and possibly Solstices for me.

I just LOVE their colors!

Edited by Earth Gurl

Just under a day until my little ones hatch...Can't wait to see TJ's adults (come on some sort of Holiday Plant dragon!)

I've a feeling they might take the top spot for my favorites depending on how they look when they grow up (at the very least - top 3)

Anyhow - my order of preference with the Holiday Dragons we currently have is:

1. Solstice (both wing variants)

2. Snow Angel (preference: Tri-color, solid gold, white)

2. Winter Magi

3. Holly

3. Ribbon Dancer

3. Wrapping Wing

4. Yulebuck

Yeah - some of my choices tie for places, different only by maybe half a point so I just classify them all as second, third, etc.

It's to allow less fortunate or unable to come on Christmas Day to grab their own considering they stay in the AP until someone catches them. I think the most I've seen them circulate was about 36 hours after the release ended.

The Christmas and Valentines go in a pattern.

one year; female Christmas, female Valentine.

second year; female christmas, male valentine

third year male christmas, female valentine

fourth year; male christmas, male valentine.

fifth year; female christmas, female valentine

sixth year; female christmas, male valentine

and so on.

the only exception was the Hollies . . . .

The pattern can be predicted pretty simply. Valentines dragons alternate every year, whereas Christmas dragons alternate every two years. So the 2014 Christmas dragons, if they continue the pattern, will be female, but the 2015s next year should be male. What I'm curious about is why bred Hollies are granted the exception but the other breeds maintain their single-sex status. Why is that?

Edited by Lurhstaap

Do we have to send gifts as part of the raffle entries this year or no?

WB

No. All you need to do to get the raffle entries is fill your mana bar each day -- you get one entry for each day your bar is filled.

The presents are optional and entirely separate. If it was required, TJ's post would say so.

No. All you need to do to get the raffle entries is fill your mana bar each day -- you get one entry for each day your bar is filled.

The presents are optional and entirely separate. If it was required, TJ's post would say so.

Ahh thank you purple. R/l has been really hard on me these past two months so I haven't been online much ^^

WB

I am wondering how much longer Holiday eggs will be found in the AP?

Like the look of the hatchies, looking forward to seeing the adults!

My favorite X-mas holidays:

Solstice (despite the alt CB thing that ruined all my checkered lineage plans rolleyes.gif ) --> Snow Angels --> Winter Magi --> Ribbon Dancer --> Wrapping Wing --> Yulebuck --> Holly

Like the look of the hatchies, looking forward to seeing the adults!

My favorite X-mas holidays:

Solstice (despite the alt CB thing that ruined all my checkered lineage plans rolleyes.gif ) --> Snow Angels --> Winter Magi --> Ribbon Dancer --> Wrapping Wing --> Yulebuck --> Holly

I still would like to know if, if a person got a CB solstice as an HM prize, could they ask for it to have the rosy wings?

Any word on that?

Edited by Silverswift

I still would like to know if, if a person got a CB solstice as an HM prize, could they ask for it to have the rosy wings?

Any word on that?

Didn't hear anything about it, but it would be neat if we could request either one, because both pink and blue-winged are purrty. <3

Edited by stagazer_7

Didn't hear anything about it, but it would be neat if we could request either one, because both pink and blue-winged are purrty. <3

Yeah.. AND If I could, I believe I know what I would ask for for HM, if I had the luck to win it. smile.gif

Then, you see, I could have BOTH blue wing and rosy wing.

Edited by Silverswift

Since lots of people have been ranking the Christmas dragons by their preferences, I made a thread for it c: Click here to go to the thread.

~

All the speculation is making me smile c: Can't wait for the hatchies to grow ^^

The new hatchies are female - the Solstices are too, I thought they took turns, gender-wise each year. Interesting.

The new hatchies are female - the Solstices are too, I thought they took turns, gender-wise each year. Interesting.

That IS interesting. O.O

I was expecting these little ones to be males.

It's two male, two female for christmas breeds. Before the Solstice, we had the Wrapping Wings, so it makes sense that the new breed is female this year.

It's two male, two female for christmas breeds. Before the Solstice, we had the Wrapping Wings, so it makes sense that the new breed is female this year.

Ah, OK.

Maybe I was wrong, then...

Hollies and Yules are male, though Hollies can now be either gender. ('07, '08). Snow Angels and Ribbon Dancers are female ('09, '10). Winter Magi and Wrapping-Wings are male ('11, '12). Solstices and the 2014s are female ('13, '14). It's a wierdish pattern, I know, especially since Valentine's Dragons alternate each year (at least, so far) =P