DragonLove234

Hollies VS Prizes

I think that Hollies are rarer than Prizes BUT, Prize Dragons can breed year-round. Which exactly is better? Or is there not a way to determine it?

I think it depends on the generation and lineage of them. A second gen holly and prize are really most likely worth the same but a long lined messy inbred holly is not worth as much as say a 5th or 6th gen prize.

Imo, 2g Hollies are worth more than 2g Prizes, hands down. >__>

Short-line hollies are worth more than short-line prizes, i think. It's a matter of personal opinion.

My guess would be that in general, Hollies are slightly more valuable than same-gen prizes at 2nd and 3rd gen, way more valuable at 4th and 5th gen, and after that back to slightly more.

I agree on the Hollies being SUPER hard to get... I mean, I don't have any 2nd gen Prize dragons, but I think Hollies have a really cool design and look cute. The only Holly I've managed to grab so far (I like Winter Magis and Solstices, y'see...) has some golds, some gravestone grandparents, and an Alt Sweetling in its lineage, so I think that's a pretty good catch.

Besides, I have a plethora of 2nd gen Solstices, which I adore - all four of them have Gold, Silver, Radiant Angel, and GoN daddies, respectively. No complaints there!

I think a 2g Holly is equal to a 2g Prize (heck, maybe even two), but since CB Prizes can breed 2gs all year round while CB Hollies can only breed 2gs once a year, CB Prizes are superior as money printing machines.

In terms of overall rarity, I think Hollies are probably scarcer overall since, again, they can only breed once a year. Even if every Holly bred four Hollies every Christmas, a Prize just has to breed five Prizes a year to beat them in number, which isn't very hard to do.

A prize dragon is way better, hollies have been bred for like, 7 years now and there are alot.png of them. The reason they are so hard to catch is because they are high demand, this is because people like how they look, they were the first christmas dragon, and people THINK they are rare because of the first two, but this does not mean hollies are rare.

Edit: not first dragon, first Christmas dragon.

Edited by LupusEques

Really in my opinion they are both rare and desirable tongue.gif My 2nd gen Holly Joyous however will always be my favorite dragon because he was a gift from a special friend and obtained back when teleport didn't exist. I remember spam refreshing his egg code to obtain him. Biggest heart attack moment of my life xd.png

Because of the associations and feels he still brings up he's priceless <3

If you go by the number of trades offering multiple cb metals and low gen prizes, etc for a 2g holly... I'm thinking it's much more difficult to get your hands on the holly.

They both seem to lose some trade value at the 4th gen.

Look at my scroll. Then tell Endereon how which is the legendary and which is the mythical.

Like just about everything on DC it comes down to personal preference. I value Hollies higher than prize dragons, with low, even gen Hollies being my holy grail.

Like just about everything on DC it comes down to personal preference. I value Hollies higher than prize dragons, with low, even gen Hollies being my holy grail.

You missed a grand opportunity and my dragon, Holly Grail Thuwed, is disappoint.

It really does come down to personal preference. And both of these kinds of dragons only have trading value really at lower generations. Personally I'm indifferent to both? I'm only catching hollies out of the ap because I can and I'm giving most of the ones I catch away.

You missed a grand opportunity and my dragon, Holly Grail Thuwed, is disappoint.

It really does come down to personal preference. And both of these kinds of dragons only have trading value really at lower generations. Personally I'm indifferent to both? I'm only catching hollies out of the ap because I can and I'm giving most of the ones I catch away.

I haven't been able to catch a single one, but have been gifted some by wonderful folks like yourself. wink.gif Fifth gen seems to be the lowest I can come by for now. One of these days....

I like Hollies in general, they are a pretty pure red. The lineage only means something to me if I can continue it nicely, so most 2g hollies are meh because I've no chance to pick the mate or breed it. Luckily, I was offered a really nice even gen holly that happened to match a ribbon even gen I already have. So, one might say it's worth it's weight in gold.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/PuM8K

Prizes are the same way. My favorites are ones I can continue regardless of how long the lineage is. I couldn't even say off the top of my head what each is o.O I know them by what they are bred to.

I like Hollies in general, they are a pretty pure red. The lineage only means something to me if I can continue it nicely, so most 2g hollies are meh because I've no chance to pick the mate or breed it. Luckily, I was offered a really nice even gen holly that happened to match a ribbon even gen I already have. So, one might say it's worth it's weight in gold.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/PuM8K

Prizes are the same way. My favorites are ones I can continue regardless of how long the lineage is. I couldn't even say off the top of my head what each is o.O I know them by what they are bred to.

Nice. Goes well with my Winter Magi. wink.gifhttp://dragcave.net/lineage/SiCzq

hmm, id have to say hollys are much better. compareing breeding pools id have to say cb holys have a much smaller active breeding pool for 2nd gens, whereas prizes are given out each year and can breed year round compared to a holy that can only breed holys once a year. sure holys give about 4 eggs during the season but prizes are so much more common due to breeding year round.

Since most people seem to value Holly over Prizes, then doesn't this mean it's better to get HM(since then you can choose a CB Holly) than a prize? tongue.gif

I think Hollies are harder to get just because they only breed once a year and I believe Prizes have the smaller active breeding pool, but other than that I'd say it's up to taste.

Personally I don't really have a strong preference either way (especially since I'm unlikely to get low gens of either!)

Since most people seem to value Holly over Prizes, then doesn't this mean it's better to get HM(since then you can choose a CB Holly) than a prize?  tongue.gif

But you'd have to weigh out 2nd gen. prizes all year vs. 2nd gen. Holly on Christmas. You can trade a bunch of 2nd gen. prizes all year, whereas you can only trade one Holly per Holiday season. How many CB golds and 2nd gen. prizes can you possible get for one 2nd gen. Holly vs how many CB golds and 2nd gen. prizes can you get from a CB prize that bred all year?

This was typed in mind that I don't know how much 2nd gen. Hollykins go for.

Edited by kiyoura

Since most people seem to value Holly over Prizes, then doesn't this mean it's better to get HM(since then you can choose a CB Holly) than a prize? tongue.gif

Not really because usually Holly Winners never keep a 2g Holly for themselves the following year that they win a Holly.

The way I viewed the question was, "Which one is worth more, a SINGLE 2g Holly, or a SINGLE 2g Prize?"

Prizes are better if you are just looking to profit though and like having the ability to breed year-round. smile.gif

every holiday is also infuriating because you can continue the lineage only once a year for yourself. I usually aim for 6-8g in my projects, which means 6-8 years? Hell no way.

So prizes are “better“ even though hollies are rarer.

I think Prizes are better than Hollies if you're thinking of the money-making perspective, simply because a CB Holly owner can have at most 2-3 people on their list (and that's 2-3 years of commitment!) whereas CB Prize owners can more or less achieve around 7 or more 2G Prize offsprings in a year. And of course, breeding 3Gs follows as well since Prizes breed all year round while a 2G Holly owner can only breed a 3G once a year.

Looks-wise it will always be down to personal preference, and I do think the CB Holly breeding pool is smaller compared to CB Prizes (combining CB Tinsel and CB Shimmer owners). Right now, 2G Hollies are seeing high price inflation since it's the height of the breeding season but if you make a deal during offseason, I think it would be much cheaper than 4++ CB Golds or 2G Prizes.

Edited by Valeth