johnmac1

New artist - working on dragons for practice!

Thought I'd share a bit of dragon artwork with you all, I'm a professional artist and work on a lot of other projects, but of late, been engrossed with practising in mixed media, freehand and photoshop to produce a series of dragon images.

The files are massive, too large to publish here, so they're over on Photo Bucket:

Photobucket

1) The eve of War

This piece i had a kind of a story in mind, its set in 1800, and the royal navy harboured in shallow water is decimated by a surprise swift attack by fire yeilding dragons! Still needs a bit of work, but was pretty pleased with the overall result.

2) Hunting on the Fjord

Was inspired here by an eagle soaring over a lake one autumn evening, the solitude grabbed me. This picture depicts a colossal dragon in its natural realm hunting for large reptiles, when it wasn't busy breathing fire over mankind of course!

3) End of an age. A starving dragon perches on a cliff top while a meteor strikes in the background. Concept piece, may need to work on this still.

Hope you all enjoy, if the images can be of benefit to anyone in this forum, please right click and save them. If you want the original size images free of course, drop me a line and I can e-mail them over (around 6mb each). (Non commercial use only please). Please ignore the printed ads underneath - they automatically appeared by Photobucket - this isn't spam!

Any requests, or if you have any projects you'd like me to work on, critique, comments or suggestions, please inbox me!

Thanks all for looking

Edited by johnmac1

These 3 are really all beautiful!

You could always use all the breeds from dragoncave for inspiration! Some have so much background information already it's perfect for making something biggrin.gif

thanks alll for the replies. Working on a piece for just after christmas, will definately be trying to zero in on a particular type of dragon. Any ideas and suggestions always welcome!

Thanks all for the great comments.

These were just 'messing about' pics i did in photoshop, they took around 8 hours for the dragons and around 20 hours for the Eve of War. just working on a few other bits and pieces at the min, have one sci fi picture thats around 70 hours and a female cyborg at around 32 hours. No rest for the wicked!

thanks alll for the replies. Working on a piece for just after christmas, will definately be trying to zero in on a particular type of dragon. Any ideas and suggestions always welcome!

These look so good!

A suggestion for a breed of DC dragon that I think would look cool in your artwork: Either an Ember Dragon or a Brute Dragon. biggrin.gif