Sinion Kabe

The Big Christmas Spend!

The most expensive time of the month for many, Christmas is also a big financial burden for some. Overall, how much will you be spending towards Christmas this year?

Well, I'm not quite done yet, but I've done pretty good with saving money. I've only spent about maybe $60-$80 so far? Not bad. Even got something for myself. biggrin.gif

Edited by Syiren

It will probably cost me about $250 all up, if we don't count the food I'll need to buy for the Christmas brunch I'm hosting for my family.

Could be worse, I don't have too many people to buy gifts for.

Probably somewhere between $100-$200. And that's for 8 people. Prices vary all over the place. I like to get things for people I think they'd like, not necessarily go for expensive things.

Since I've actually got an income this year and the uni is paying my tuition, I've probably spent more than I really should have. I don't want to think about how much. x3

I'm buying prezzies for six people - my parents, grandparents on my mom's side, sister, and my bff. This year I tried harder to buy stuff ahead of time, but every time I do that I end up buying the same amount at Christmas, so I spend more in total. >_e

Christmas is also a big financial burden for some.

Only if you're the type that buys into media hype. It doesn't have to be expensive to give wonderful gifts.

I'm going to make homemade cheesecake for my friends this year. I might spend $50 for the ingredients to make several. Homemade goodies are always greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Edited by MedievalMystic

Only if you're the type that buys into media hype. It doesn't have to be expensive to give wonderful gifts.

I'm going to make homemade cheesecake for my friends this year. I might spend $50 for the ingredients to make several. Homemade goodies are always greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Exactly. I spent about $20 buying those My little Pony mystery packs for my niece and a bunch of Hot Wheels cars for my nephew and their faces will light up just the same as if they were to get something bigger.

It's also amazing to see what movies you can find in the $5 bins. I was able to complete my friend's Harry Potter collection and got the 4 movies she was missing for $20! You just gotta know where hunt for the hidden treasures. biggrin.gif

I miss my grandmother's chocolate fudge. It was always so good. I wonder if my Dad held on to the recipe. I might try my hand at it. It probably won't be anywhere near my grandmother's but I won't know until I try, right?

Nothing xd.png (Me = German atheist living in Japan, husband and family are Japanese who have never celebrated Christmas)

I did celebrate Christmas while I was a kid and later just "attended" the family meetings until I moved out...but to be honest (and please do not be offended), I find the "buying presents because it's Christmas" thing rather silly now. You do not need some "holidays" and buying gifts to show people you love them. It's the little things in daily life I cherish now.

My little brother is coming to Japan this year though and I will have to spend enough money during his visit (partying almost every day in Tokyo and maybe some short trip somewhere else), so I am rather happy I do not do anything for Christmas!

I bought a friend a game for $60 and then my boyfriend a $100 figurine and the same $60 game. That's probably as much as I'm going to spend.

my sister is in the weeds this year and has warned us christmas is gonna be slim. I don't mind. I offered to get the turkey to spare her the cost. Im in the weeds myself. I have debts to pay, but - I don't have kids, cars, house etc.

generally I do 10 - 20 dollars per person. can be a bit more. This year is strange not having my stepfather around... it feels sad sad.gif

Not a financial burden at all - though not because I have a lot of money unfortunately xd.png

I just buy what I can afford and often it is things that I would buy for the giftees anyway, it's just a lot more fun to wrap them and wait until christmas to give them.

It's generally very much give and take. Some things I need to buy for myself, I know I will be given for christmas - therefore I can spend that money on presents! It's a brilliant system as far as I'm concerned, much more fun for all of us.

As far as the "presents on christmas" discussion goes - I like christmas presents and I am convinced that I'm not so shallow that I can see christmas only as commercial nonsense.

I did all mine on Cyber Monday, about $700 but still have to buy wrapping and such.

Most annoying thing is when relatives give me wish lists 1 to 2 weeks before Christmas or ask me to go in on something for someone...I'm like, I am DONE already! Sorry!

I bought my dad tools, my niece some clothes, mom is getting a nice set of makeup brushes and I'm stuck on what to get my sister because she is picky tongue.gif. I'm always stumped on what to get my sister, mostly because I'm not sure of the type of stuff she is into anymore. I've probably spent about 200 dollars on gifts for everyone so far.

My parents helped me pay for new winter tires as well as two new pairs of glasses that I desperately needed, so I'm not looking for anything else this year. I'm going to have a lot of fun spending time with my family, so I don't really need a gift to make me happy smile.gif.

Edited by Storm_Dragoon

I honestly don't know how much my parents spend on me for christmas. it probbly depends on how big the present is because a few years ago I got a windows 7 laptop for christmas (what im on right now) and that was a lot by it self. I still have some christmas shoppingthat i need to do but I can't do it unless someone will take me out because I am a younger member on here and can not get around alone yet. I plan on buying my older sister a watch because she wears it all the time like me but the band on her watch broke for some reason. Its been 4 years so i think she's gottten the money's use out of it. A plan on getting my dad one of those big popcorn buckets with the different kind s in it because before my grandpa died, about 3 years ago now, it would be a tradition for him to get me and my sisters one every year and i want to keep that tradition alive. I already got my mom a necklace with a heart that says "mom" on it.

I don't have many money available (about 10 dollars),but I am going to buy something cheap and nice to my family and friends.But since the nation I live isn't that safe (there are criminals everywhere and the govern doesn't help) I can't go alone.