nextavengers

"Back of the cave" suggestion

Just having random thoughts, but here's what I was thinking of...

What if there was an option to sneak around to the back of the cave, which would act like a normal biome except for only dropping 3 eggs every once in a while, at random intervals. The catch would be that these eggs would be at least of uncommon rarity.

Would this be at all viable?

So what your suggesting is a way to get "better" dragons without clearing the blockers.

yeah, that's going in the nope category.

1. The cave doesn't have set definitions for rare, uncommon, and common. Most of what we see is user driven.

2. Everyone would stalk there instead of the regular cave

3. They would still go to the faster clickers.

4. because everyone is in this biome hoping for rares, the rest never move and the black log gets even worse.

5. anything that gives guaranteed "rarer" dragons is not going to work. If golds are set to drop at 1/100 the amount of everything else. then those other 99 HAVE to be picked up and raised for the gold to drop.

This idea is not as good as you think. "guaranteed" uncommon/rares will only cause the ratios to be messed up and make it much harder to find those breeds for a dispportionaly longer time in the future. (ask about the metal flood glitch for a good example)

^ agreed.

rarity is also user generated. People think coppers are rare but they are supposed to be uncommon. Same with blusangs.

Last I checked, biome eggs shuffle every five mins and have for a while now. With that feature, I just don't see what use this suggestion would be. We already get a bit of a mix-up just naturally without users grabbing eggs.

"Easier access to uncommon/rare" goes against the concept of uncommon and rare in the first place.

Also bear in mind that with few obvious exceptions, rarity in this game is mostly player-generated, especially among common breeds. There's no such thing as official rarity released to the public, and the market rarity is simply unenforceable as a game mechanic due to its player-generated ever-changing nature.

The idea of the random dropping instead of regular drops would make it harder to get eggs there and so people would still creep the normal biomes as well.

And people will quickly realize the normal biomes only drop blockers since the one you are suggesting will drop uncommon and rares. (which rarities are mainly user action orientated anyway so I am not sure how one would decide what is uncommon or rare)

Meaning they would all still just stalk your back of the cave.

No support. As Sock said we already have five minute shuffles. If people want to uncover rares it's simple. Pick up more commons. No one says you have to raise them. I often fill up my scroll with commons to grab one or two of whatever I am looking for. Either I raise them to hatchies for trade fodder or drop them eggs I don't want after five hours.

And people will quickly realize the normal biomes only drop blockers since the one you are suggesting will drop uncommon and rares. (which rarities are mainly user action orientated anyway so I am not sure how one would decide what is uncommon or rare)

Meaning they would all still just stalk your back of the cave.

No support. As Sock said we already have five minute shuffles. If people want to uncover rares it's simple. Pick up more commons. No one says you have to raise them. I often fill up my scroll with commons to grab one or two of whatever I am looking for. Either I raise them to hatchies for trade fodder or drop them eggs I don't want after five hours.

This. No support here either.

Um, the other biomes would still drop uncommons and rares as they do now. Y'all aren't even reading what I wrote

FYI if you just came here to smack down another suggestion then get off the topic

Edited by nextavengers

Um, the other biomes would still drop uncommons and rares as they do now. Y'all aren't even reading what I wrote

They would, however, drop less. The ratios dictate the balance of rare eggs to commons, so having a biome where rares / uncommons spawn exclusively--even if infrequently--is making that many less of them appear in the normal biomes. Again encouraging anyone specifically looking for rarer breeds to lurk there instead of waste an hour pushing through commons in the normal biomes.

Would this be at all viable?

Due to the way the code works, as I understand it, I think the answer to your question is no, it isn't viable as you have it proposed.

The idea of sneaking around to the back of the cave is interesting, but anything that separates out the uncommons and rares and makes them more easily accessible is going to cause balance problems. As others have said, the coding for the game calculates what to drop based on certain ratios. We don't know exactly what those are because it's proprietary information to the code but we do know that it won't drop rares and uncommons in your back cave over and above what the ratios calculate for the whole game. Every rare or uncommon separated out for your back cave is one less rare or uncommon available to drop in the rest of the biomes. Even if it only dropped 3 eggs once per hour it still affects the balance for the rest of the drops.

FYI if you just came here to smack down another suggestion then get off the topic

They cannot drop them at the same rate if some are being siphoned off to some other biome.

And we all have the right to an opinion.

Everyone is allowed an opinion , you do have to accept not everyone will agree with you.

Edited by _Z_

What is "every once in a while" in terms of how time is dealt with in the game? I know that you noted random intervals, but did you have anything more specific in mind?

Edited by Jazeki

I think the idea is cool, and all, but I'm going to have to go with "no", but still, it is interesting!

However, what is the point of having "rares" if they're easy to get?

everything would just be "Uncommon", "slightly uncommon" and "common".

Random unexpected intervals does make it hard to get, like it only goes to the people that go at the right time, but that happens in the normal way too.

STILL

A random thought is worth a shot.

And perhaps only a certain percent of the time you can get back there?

like "You attempt to sneak around the dragons, but you are unsuccessful"

And maybe you could try for like, 2 times per hour? and no refresh-bombing either?

Kinda changing my mind.

Edited by EmmaD333

I honestly don't think anyone came here to smack down your suggestion. They are simply pointing out the faults with it.

Sadly, you can't have your cake and eat it too. There is a predetermined ratio of rares/uncommons to commons. If your "Back of the cave" area drops only rares and uncommons, then they will NOT drop as usual in the biomes. The number dropping in those areas would have to be reduced by the number dropping in the Back.

I think rares and uncommons are rare and uncommon for a reason, if this suggestion is to create another source in which it'll make it easier for users to catch rare eggs then I don't see how it would help, since everyone would just start to go there rather than the main cave and it'll still be just as hard to obtain rares.

The main gist of this idea is cool though.

Edited by suskekun222