Fuzzbucket

Show news on scroll pages

2. You claim that there are also players that can't read news because they don't want to visit these forums at all. They can click on the link visible on the main page and read only (only!) the first post, but they simply don't want to. You seem to claim that their reasons are irrelevant - but for me they are not. For me, someone who ignores valuable news only because he / she don't like the forum / style of the forum / colours of the forum / fonts of the forum / TJ's avatar is unreasonable. And I think that there's no point in granting requests of unreasonable individuals (well... technically they aren't even making any requests because it seems that you speak for them).

So, I should be forced to load the entire forum frame, everyone's comments (which I don't read, but can do nothing about), and everyone's icon, potentially causing my phone to crash and eating my precious data just for TJ's post? Yeah, no thanks.

So, I should be forced to load the entire forum frame, everyone's comments (which I don't read, but can do nothing about), and everyone's icon, potentially causing my phone to crash and eating my precious data just for TJ's post? Yeah, no thanks.

Exactly. When I was still on dial up, most times the forum simply wouldn't load at all, even disabling page style and images.

A simple news page in the cave would make all this so much easier for virtually EVERYONE; it would also make happy those who hate the current entry page layout (one thing that I don't actually care about, as I almost never go there !) - and I cannot see how it would harm one single player. If there are really people who don't want to see news - they just don't have to click the link saying "news" - just as - presumably - they now don't click the link saying "forum" in case they see news on the forum home page.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I think that nobody has mentioned that problem before. You may have a point there. I know nothing about mobile version of this forum as I don't use internet on my phone.

Oh, well that's the other reason I'd love to see this in the future. There is no special layout on the forums for mobile/limited access players, it loads the same on everything. Which puts a strain on my phone (and dinosaur of a computer), because it needs to load all the styles, the layout, comments, the ads, and anyone with an icon enabled. Instead of overhauling the forums and giving it a special layout, something like this would greatly help us out and would be much faster to implement.

If we have to have news on the main page, it REALLY need to be along the bottom instead of the side.

If we have to have news on the main page, it REALLY need to be along the bottom instead of the side.

All we need on the main page is a link to a news page... This suggestion would achieve that as well as avoiding the need to go to the forum for news.

I'm unconfused....isn't there already a link to the news on the main page?

https://i.imgur.com/qf88RTv.png ~Linked for size~

Also I have windows 8.1 thats why I was looking up easy stuff >-> because its completely different

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Also I have windows 8.1 thats why I was looking up easy stuff >-> because its completely different

Yes there is a news link - to news ON THE FORUM. Many players cannot, or do not want to, come to the forum, and the forum is not a part of the actual game, so my request was for the news to be on a cave page, with no discussion, just the facts from TJ's first posts announcing it...

This suggestion is to have full news posts available on the site instead of linking to the forums.

ninja.gif'd by fuzzbucket, of course. laugh.gif

Edited by LibbyLishly

This thread has been brought to my attention, so let me add two concrete examples of selective blocking of the forums...

At work (multinational company, > 100,000 employees), we have some content filtering software that blocks web sites that are not related to our work or that are contrary to our code of business ethics. I will not advertise the products used, but I found that the filter deployed in most of our sites categorizes both dragcave.net and forums.dragcave.net as "Games", while another filter (not the one used at our local site) categorizes dragcave.net as "Games" and forums.dragcave.net as "Games, Message Boards". Fortunately, these categories are not blocked anymore, so as far as I know all employees can access both sites if they want to (provided that accessing these sites does not affect their performance and does not use the company resources beyond what is reasonable, blah blah blah...). But these categories were blocked a couple of years ago.

At home, I use some Linux software to filter the sites that my daughters can access. Again, I will not advertise any specific software but a quick web search will show you at least two popular solutions based on extensions of the Squid web proxy, as well as several forks of these projects. Currently, I am blocking any URL that contains terms such as "forum" or "webchat" because most forums are not appropriate for girls under 10. As a result, they can access the cave but not the forums.

Before getting some angry replies telling me how I should raise my kids or stating that any kind of content filter is a stupid idea, I should add the following:

• We have rather open discussions at home about what sites should be blocked or not and I can easily add some sites to a whitelist if my daughters ask for them. So I could add forums.dragcave.net to the whitelist if they ask for that... but I don't think that it would be a good idea when I see how some discussions can evolve here.
  • This filter is not needed most of the time because we (parents) are always around when our kids visit some web sites. This extra protection is there "just in case".
  • I am planning to remove this filter when they are a bit older so that they could decide on their own if they should visit some sites or not. They will eventually learn how to bypass content filters anyway, even though the one I have at home is hard to defeat. Besides, our goal has never been to have a perfect filter: it is only there to prevent some accidents and to help them avoid some sites that are not appropriate for their age until they become a bit more familiar with Internet usage.
Conclusion : I think that it would be a good idea to add the full text of the announcements directly in the main site so that it is not necessary to open the forums to read them.

This thread has been brought to my attention, so let me add two concrete examples of selective blocking of the forums...

At work (multinational company, > 100,000 employees), we have some content filtering software that blocks web sites that are not related to our work or that are contrary to our code of business ethics. I will not advertise the products used, but I found that the filter deployed in most of our sites categorizes both dragcave.net and forums.dragcave.net as "Games", while another filter (not the one used at our local site) categorizes dragcave.net as "Games" and forums.dragcave.net as "Games, Message Boards". Fortunately, these categories are not blocked anymore, so as far as I know all employees can access both sites if they want to (provided that accessing these sites does not affect their performance and does not use the company resources beyond what is reasonable, blah blah blah...). But these categories were blocked a couple of years ago.

At home, I use some Linux software to filter the sites that my daughters can access. Again, I will not advertise any specific software but a quick web search will show you at least two popular solutions based on extensions of the Squid web proxy, as well as several forks of these projects. Currently, I am blocking any URL that contains terms such as "forum" or "webchat" because most forums are not appropriate for girls under 10. As a result, they can access the cave but not the forums.

Before getting some angry replies telling me how I should raise my kids or stating that any kind of content filter is a stupid idea, I should add the following:

• We have rather open discussions at home about what sites should be blocked or not and I can easily add some sites to a whitelist if my daughters ask for them. So I could add forums.dragcave.net to the whitelist if they ask for that... but I don't think that it would be a good idea when I see how some discussions can evolve here.
  • This filter is not needed most of the time because we (parents) are always around when our kids visit some web sites. This extra protection is there "just in case".
  • I am planning to remove this filter when they are a bit older so that they could decide on their own if they should visit some sites or not. They will eventually learn how to bypass content filters anyway, even though the one I have at home is hard to defeat. Besides, our goal has never been to have a perfect filter: it is only there to prevent some accidents and to help them avoid some sites that are not appropriate for their age until they become a bit more familiar with Internet usage.
Conclusion : I think that it would be a good idea to add the full text of the announcements directly in the main site so that it is not necessary to open the forums to read them.

If this forum had a thumbs-up button, I would be pounding it right now.

Honestly, I don't really care about this one way or the other, but I'll agree with InugamiZERO that I hate the news feed on the cave page. Now, everything looks messy and squashed. Another alternative, for that reason alone, would be great.

Unless TJ's site is required to be COPPA compliant or is breaking COPPA rules, which I don't think it is, what the kiddies see isn't his problem.

COPPA

I was going to mention COPPA earlier with regards to why some places block certain forums or things like that, but it doesn't apply to DC as users are technically supposed to be 13 to be able to play the game (or may play with parental/guardian consent) and that is clearly advertised.

Still, this suggestion, while benefiting younger players, is not aimed just for them, but all users (whether on the forum or not).