Fuzzbucket

Show news on scroll pages

- people who live in howshouldIsayit "difficult" countries => oh well.

You are asking TJ to make a change for something he just implemented, something he could have done himself from the beginning but didn't. Didn't Fuzzbucket say there was some old thread?

I might be wrong of course, but I think that the news are linked to the forum from the main site on purpose. To have more people visit & join the forum, "fresh blood".

I'd like to think anyone who has a scroll could play the game to the full, myself.

Sure TJ might like more people to come to the forum - but we shouldn't HAVE to in order to be able to play. That's the crux of this.

I had visualised a separate page - like the ones for help and shop and so on. You'd only click on it if you wanted to see it.

I'd also see it as only the first posts - that is all you need to PLAY. The additional information is nice - but isn't NECESSARY. But right now, those who cannot come here are losing out on PLAY information - and that's not fair.

Sounds good!

I'd like to think anyone who has a scroll could play the game to the full, myself.

Sure TJ might like more people to come to the forum - but we shouldn't HAVE to in order to be able to play. That's the crux of this.

I'll be frank and flat out say that this game gets boring very quickly without joining one or more communities that stem from it.

So no, the game is hardly complete on its own. The only question is whether this community HAS to be the official forums, which is obviously not the case.

Regarding the suggestion itself, I don't have strong feelings toward either side, as long as the layout change is OPTIONAL, as on-site news are almost completely useless to people who frequent the forums like myself.

I'll be frank and flat out say that this game gets boring very quickly without joining one or more communities that stem from it.

So no, the game is hardly complete on its own. The only question is whether this community HAS to be the official forums, which is obviously not the case.

Regarding the suggestion itself, I don't have strong feelings toward either side, as long as the layout change is OPTIONAL, as on-site news are almost completely useless to people who frequent the forums like myself.

??

I played for quite a while without coming here. MY grandson plays and has never been - though I do keep him up with news.

Not bored. It doesn't NEED a community; but you do need to know what's going on or you may miss stuff.

Layout change? I suppose it will add one more link to the top bar, but otherwise everything should be the same...why should that need to be "optional"? From what I understand it will be a separate page (or at least that's what most people want) and the current layout shouldn't be touched at all.

well, tj should just do it like magistream, and make the frontpage from the portal page of the forum.

then all those problems would be solved... noone without forums access can enter then. smile.gif

on a more serious note:

as I said before, I think it is entirely the wrong thing to argue about if people can be bothered to look at a forum. yes they can, and they will find all the information they need just fine. that its a forum is rather irrelevant in displaying news items, isn't it?

with the current setup, you still dont need to sign up for the forums, or to look at any other than the cave itself.

As someone who pretty much quit the forums entirely, I feel the need to-- *gasp* --actually come and post my own opinion on the matter.

I do fully support the idea. At least, as long as it is just a simple re-direct to a new page on the site that only shows TJ's first post and nothing else. (I believe there should be a link at the bottom saying along the lines of "read this in our forum", so you do have that option to read comments and etc., if you'd like. Which the forums would be blocked somehow, someway anyway.)

And here are my reasons why:

- Anyone who automatically checks the forum anyway should have no reason to click the news link, as they've already seen the post.

- As someone who plays via smartphone, I find it an annoyance to have to wait for 20 different posts, 20 different avatar images (assuming they all have it enabled), and the entire forum frame to load in order to see just one post: TJ's.

- If it's a matter of "if you don't use the forums, then who cares about you": Well, as someone who does, in fact, still play the game but has resigned from using the forums, I fully enjoy the site just fine. I am still working on completing my scroll, still trading with my friends on other sites, and am still doing my own thing. I literally have no reason to be here, quite honestly, if it weren't for trying to read the news.

- If it's a matter of child-rearing: I don't care if you put your computer in Fort Knox, the kid's bound to go to a friend's house at some point. (I have, when I was younger, completely memorized every password anyone put up, not to mention being twice as knowledgable about technology then my parents ever were.) And this topic isn't even about that in the first place.

- If it's a matter of being taxing on TJ: really? He coded the site himself (AFAIK), I'm sure he could either create a synchronized posting feature or he has since mastered copy/paste.

There, I've said my peace. smile.gif

As someone who pretty much quit the forums entirely, I feel the need to-- *gasp* --actually come and post my own opinion on the matter.

I do fully support the idea. At least, as long as it is just a simple re-direct to a new page on the site that only shows TJ's first post and nothing else. (I believe there should be a link at the bottom saying along the lines of "read this in our forum", so you do have that option to read comments and etc., if you'd like. Which the forums would be blocked somehow, someway anyway.)

And here are my reasons why:

- Anyone who automatically checks the forum anyway should have no reason to click the news link, as they've already seen the post.

- As someone who plays via smartphone, I find it an annoyance to have to wait for 20 different posts, 20 different avatar images (assuming they all have it enabled), and the entire forum frame to load in order to see just one post: TJ's.

- If it's a matter of "if you don't use the forums, then who cares about you": Well, as someone who does, in fact, still play the game but has resigned from using the forums, I fully enjoy the site just fine. I am still working on completing my scroll, still trading with my friends on other sites, and am still doing my own thing. I literally have no reason to be here, quite honestly, if it weren't for trying to read the news.

- If it's a matter of child-rearing: I don't care if you put your computer in Fort Knox, the kid's bound to go to a friend's house at some point. (I have, when I was younger, completely memorized every password anyone put up, not to mention being twice as knowledgable about technology then my parents ever were.) And this topic isn't even about that in the first place.

- If it's a matter of being taxing on TJ: really? He coded the site himself (AFAIK), I'm sure he could either create a synchronized posting feature or he has since mastered copy/paste.

There, I've said my peace. smile.gif

Thank you for being someone who sees all the advantages to this perfectly harmless and non-invasive suggestion smile.gif

Including the page-loading thing which hadn't occurred to me - but which WAS a pain, now that I recall, when I was playing on dialup.

Exactly.

Well, # of posts per page and seeing others' signatures and avatars can be reduced (down to 5)/turned off respectively in the control panel. But of course, if you aren't logged in...

as I said before, I think it is entirely the wrong thing to argue about if people can be bothered to look at a forum. yes they can, and they will find all the information they need just fine.  that its a forum is rather irrelevant in displaying news items, isn't it?

with the current setup, you still dont need to sign up for the forums, or to look at any other than the cave itself.

Of course they can be bothered to look at a forum and they are going to come to the forum, especially if I'm right and if TJ doesn't change anything.

@CNR4806

I do not fully agree with it getting boring without joining a community but I'd say that people could not trade anything or get help with lineages, at least.

Therefore I cannot agree with Fuzzbucket's

Not bored. It doesn't NEED a community; but you do need to know what's going on or you may miss stuff.

AT ALL.

I'd even wager there are a few players who are completely clueless about what you can do on the forum (I was one myself, I wish I had clicked on the "forum" link the day I joined, then I would have gotten myself some CB Coppers instead of things from the AP xd.png ). I think such people should be considered as well.

Think also very very new players who visit the main site for the first time. No doubt such people will take a closer look at the forum now.

@LadyLuck777

If you haven't read the start of the child-rearing talk in another thread, you probably should if you care. And I would like to point out that we have (to quote) "Age, parental restrictions, ISP blockers - all sorts." in the OP. While this topic is not about child-rearing itself, it does have some relation to children and their parents. (Nice avatar, by the way!)

Think also very very new players who visit the main site for the first time. No doubt such people will take a closer look at the forum now.

If they can.

Is it possible to have an option to hide the news bar on the side? I personally find it annoying, since I visit the forum.

Is it possible to have an option to hide the news bar on the side? I personally find it annoying, since I visit the forum.

THIS!!!

I do use the forum and I find the new News sidebar annoying as hell.

It might not matter to anyone else, but I have a 21" wide screen monitor but TJ's layout only uses 8 1/2" of it. That leaves like 4 1/2" on each side of nothing but blank, wasted space. Adding that dumb News feed like he has makes the site look squashed and stupid.

The forum is at least flexible and allows my entire screen to be used. Isn't it time for the game to enter the 21st century too and lose the set width? Or at the very least utilize your inborn sense of space and remember that not everyone uses the same size monitor.

And I would like to point out that we have (to quote) "Age, parental restrictions, ISP blockers - all sorts." in the OP. While this topic is not about child-rearing itself, it does have some relation to children and their parents. (Nice avatar, by the way!)

@Mondat

(Why thank you! happy.gif I like yours as well, I adore black cats~)

Still, even with the locks and filters they will find another way if they really wanted to. A person locked by censorship could easily use a backdoor program (or travel). A kid will go somewhere else to use a computer (or tablet, or phone, or family member, or use backdoor/hack). You would be hard-pressed nowadays to find a place that is not in third-world poverty (which are steadily improving) to find something not connected to the Internet. If the news was on the site itself, you would have no reason to seek a way to access the forums, because you are still well-informed.

Furthermore, I'd like to simplify this idea even more. I don't particularly like the layout (again, being a mobile user), but I don't see it changing anytime soon, so... Instead of a new section or notification like the holiday events, why not have it so that when you click on the link on the front page, it redirects you to the new single news post page onsite instead of the forums?

THIS!!!

I do use the forum and I find the new News sidebar annoying as hell.

It might not matter to anyone else, but I have a 21" wide screen monitor but TJ's layout only uses 8 1/2" of it. That leaves like 4 1/2" on each side of nothing but blank, wasted space. Adding that dumb News feed like he has makes the site look squashed and stupid.

The forum is at least flexible and allows my entire screen to be used. Isn't it time for the game to enter the 21st century too and lose the set width? Or at the very least utilize your inborn sense of space and remember that not everyone uses the same size monitor.

Still not really the point of this suggestion. I suggest making a new thread for that. c:

This thread isn't debating about the news feed, it's asking for the whole first post of the news threads to be on the main site somewhere (most likely on a whole separate page). It has nothing to do with the new layout and very little to do with the news feed.

Actually, it's all interconnected. The new News feed was added to the front page in such a way that it is detrimental to the site as a whole.

We asked for News updates on the main site, but we never specified exactly what, where, why or how we wanted it added. So TJ did what he usually does and decided what, where, why and how to add the News without even asking our opinion.

So basically, NOW we are calling him on it. Expressing our opinions.. which mostly seem to be a great dislike for how it was implemented. But not everyone is agreeing with everyone else... also as usual... so we wind up with multiple ideas, multiple complaints, and multiple suggestions about how to fix it.

But it is all the SAME PROBLEM.. the same issue and the same multiple viewpoints as usual.. with TJ 'as usual' ignoring what he doesn't want to deal with.

Sure, it's related in that it's news. But we're NOT asking to change the news feed at all. I don't care about the news feed. I want to keep it, but also be able to click on a link in the news feed OR at the top of the page (or both) to go to the full first news post.

LOL, guess I'm oversimplifying.

That's exactly what I want too. I want a LINK up there with the other links (Cave, Account, Dragons, etc.) that says News. I want said link to go to a new cave page that is just for News. The news page will have TJ's News post and possibly anything posted by an artist/creator if the News is about a new dragon release.

Said News LINK will replace the ugly sidebar and make the front page of the Cave look symetrical again.

It would also be nice if the News LINK could change color or some other attention getting method, whenever new News is posted.

Ok, I probably just misunderstood you then. I realized what you WERE talking about was related, but it didn't quite seem like you were commenting on the idea presented in this thread is all. c:

(Why thank you! happy.gif I like yours as well, I adore black cats~)

Still, even with the locks and filters they will find another way if they really wanted to. A person locked by censorship could easily use a backdoor program (or travel). A kid will go somewhere else to use a computer (or tablet, or phone, or family member, or use backdoor/hack). You would be hard-pressed nowadays to find a place that is not in third-world poverty (which are steadily improving) to find something not connected to the Internet. If the news was on the site itself, you would have no reason to seek a way to access the forums, because you are still well-informed.

Still, even with the locks and filters they will find another way if they really wanted to. A person locked by censorship could easily use a backdoor program (or travel).

Don't know if it was your intention, but this could be arguments for why it's not necessary to have the news on the main site wink.gif Referring to the OP which states that people cannot go to the forum.

A kid will go somewhere else to use a computer (or tablet, or phone, or family member, or use backdoor/hack)

Of course that could happen. My problem is just why a kid (let's say under 10 years old) would be that desperate to get to the internet, in case of homes where exposure to the internet is limited but not prohibited? Or why visiting a friend's place necessarily means browsing on the internet?

I know that it would be/will be hard to keep children from playing Pokemon on the Nintendo 3DS the whole time for example (I do understand that's it is also important that children do not feel left out completely while their friends have cool toys whatever). Japan is Pokemon country anyway biggrin.gif

(But anyway, better let's not turn this into a topic full with children-related posts)

@Fuzzbucket

If they can.

Yes, but unless they're living in North Korea for instance - where only privileged people have internet access AT ALL, as you know - or unless they do not have internet because of personal choice/money matters, it's safe to say they will gain forum access anyhow. Even your grandson who is 12 years old will be allowed to browse the internet freely anytime, right? wink.gif

North Korea would be a political thing.

There are still families where the *parents* simply prefer to limit internet access of their kids. So, why force kids to circumvent their parents' well-meaning orders by excluding them from some basic game information?

North Korea would be a political thing.

There are still families where the *parents* simply prefer to limit internet access of their kids. So, why force kids to circumvent their parents' well-meaning orders by excluding them from some basic game information?

Lets take this child discussion to the next level. If its so basic game information, why do parents NOT KNOW this or help out? There should be no need for any of this discussion, if parents just did their work.

It's statements like mine and rubys above, why I prefer to keep this discussion strictly out of such a suggestion - it implies a certain style of educating your child. While I believe just closing down some aspects of the net and else the child can do whatever it wants, others believe that's ok.

You can't build a solid discussion if the base points you're trying to discuss are highly personally biased.

--

Honestly, all people need is a better tagline by TJ. You don't need to read through all the news, when most stuff can be said in one or two sentences. The base problem is how TJ used to do his news (only image has most information) and that's obviously not enough if you are going to only pick the first line and the title to be displayed in the stream.

Patch Notes

Posted on 2014-11-18 by TJ09

Here's a small update that aims to improve a few pain points regarding zombies and the encyclopedia....

Happy Halloween!

Posted on 2014-10-31 by TJ09

Get your new Halloween dragons only today!

Halloween Event

Posted on 2014-10-25 by TJ09

A new Event and breeding of breeds from prior years will be available from now through Halloween.

Dragon Encyclopedia

Posted on 2014-10-22 by TJ09

A little over six months after its initial announcement, the Dragon Encyclopedia is finally here!...

<- fixed the news to how they should roughly look like. then there could be no argument, that this is NOT enough. News aren't an encyclopedia where you get all the info. If you want that, you have to go elsewhere. And in every instance I know, that's forums, feedback panels or what-have-you.

Edited by whitebaron

Lets take this child discussion to the next level. If its so basic game information, why do parents NOT KNOW this or help out? There should be no need for any of this discussion, if parents just did their work.

It's statements like mine and rubys above, why I prefer to keep this discussion strictly out of such a suggestion - it implies a certain style of educating your child. While I believe just closing down some aspects of the net and else the child can do whatever it wants, others believe that's ok.

You can't build a solid discussion if the base points you're trying to discuss are highly personally biased.

Just a disclaimer: There is nothing personally biased from me to be found there. I don't have kids, I have nothing to do with education, and when I grew up, the internet was not what it is today. I don't care how parents "do their work," and I can totally accept that there are no "perfect parents" out there.

What I was actually trying to point out was that 1. there are more reasons than "North Korea" that can exclude you from forums of any kind, and 2. this is a simple browser game which should not force anyone to perform some hacking and cracking feats just to know how to *play* it.

So yeah, better tag lines (or tag lines at all) would be a good start to solve the issue of non-news in the news section. But it also shouldn't be such a difficult thing to put the full news post somewhere on the site. If the "Recent News" side pane can grab text from each post to put it on the front site, it can do the same with the full code (text and image) to put on an extended "Recent News" page on its own. After all, the forum software stores posts as html code already.

The "Recent News" headline on the front page could just link to an extended "Recent News" page, with nothing but all the first posts of each news thread on it. That headline is already there, so it becoming a clickable link wouldn't bother anyone who doesn't need that feature. I could even imagine that a feature like this was one of TJ's long-term plans. (Yeah, yeah, I'm a daydreamer. Where's my cloud?)

@Mondat:

But your argument as to why forum access is limited was about security and an imperfect 'all children are constantly watched all the time' model. I was trying to disprove it (and arguing that its restrictions like those that make anyone, no matter their age, turn to lying and secrecy). I also added:

If the news was on the site itself, you would have no reason to seek a way to access the forums, because you are still well-informed.

So, no one is trying to circumvent any filters because there's no need to. But anyway, let's not get any deeper into that rabbit hole. biggrin.gif

2. this is a simple browser game which should not force anyone to perform some hacking and cracking feats just to know how to *play* it.

So yeah, better tag lines (or tag lines at all) would be a good start to solve the issue of non-news in the news section. But it also shouldn't be such a difficult thing to put the full news post somewhere on the site. If the "Recent News" side pane can grab text from each post to put it on the front site, it can do the same with the full code (text and image) to put on an extended "Recent News" page on its own. After all, the forum software stores posts as html code already.

The "Recent News" headline on the front page could just link to an extended "Recent News" page, with nothing but all the first posts of each news thread on it. That headline is already there, so it becoming a clickable link wouldn't bother anyone who doesn't need that feature. I could even imagine that a feature like this was one of TJ's long-term plans. (Yeah, yeah, I'm a daydreamer. Where's my cloud?)

This. All of this. (Though no one knows what TJ's thinking, I wouldn't be surprised if he already has something similar code-wise already up and running behind the scenes.)

And then there's the other reasons there's a problem with a tag line system: the slow loading of posts and the forum itself, the exact start and end dates (wait, October 31st at 9:00 EST?), the sprites and their descriptions, the location of said new dragons... If I went just by the tag line, I would be completely misinformed. And I would go to the forum to read the rest- oh wait, its blocked. Guess I'll go to the Wiki- wait, that's blocked too. And none of my DC friends are on my other favorite game, so I can't ask them...

But I have to agree that its a great start, just not the best substitute. smile.gif

But your argument as to why forum access is limited was about security and an imperfect 'all children are constantly watched all the time' model. I was trying to disprove it (and arguing that its restrictions like those that make anyone, no matter their age, turn to lying and secrecy).

Uh, it might be because I just woke up but I think you and Ruby got some things wrong. Or I misunderstand what you both mean.

I wrote this in one of my earlier posts:

- young children: I already made it clear that I would not let my children idle their time away on the internet without regulations & supervision.

a.) I would have no problem to have them visit the news post on the forum together with me/another person I trust => no problem for me/us

b.) If my children were not allowed to visit the forums before, nothing has changed for them actually, they can still collect their eggies => I could continue to keep my children informed after reading the news myself

So, my children would not need any hacking to get to know some news in our house - I would happily keep them informed.

If something's changed on the game site, I go with it => until I allow my children to explore the internet alone - and I do not mean to say that they will have to wait until they're 18 or something.

I personally also do not think that this forum is as bad as other make it seem, I have seen worse. The mods here do a good job in my opinion and are rather quick in editing other people's posts (I would know xd.png). The only reason I can think of at the moment why people would not want their kids to visit the forum is because they do not want their kids to see their posts, especially in the "Suggestions" thread (just joking!).

If you and/or Ruby would like to discuss "why forum access is limited" or why people "exclude their children from basic information" or why people have a problem with keeping their kids informed themselves, please ask Fuzzbucket and other people.

ETA: or it might be of course that Ruby didn't address me directly, actually xd.png

Edited by Mondat