Fuzzbucket

Show news on scroll pages

The new front page is fine - except that the news links lead directly to the forum. Many players cannot (or simply do not choose to) be on any forum. Age, parental restrictions, ISP blockers - all sorts.

The GAME itself is on our scrolls, and in the cave. No player should have to miss out on news because of this; no player should HAVE to come to the forum or miss details of breeding windows, events, changes to the game, releases and so on.

TJ - please can just the first post of each new news thread be repeated in a page on our scrolls ? That wouldn't be hard and it would make such a difference to those who can't come here, for whatever reason.

*begs piteously and offers chocolate* *also whisky, as I realise you are getting to that age xd.png*

I am NOT asking for myself; I am here, and I keep my grandson (who is not allowed here) informed. I am asking on behalf of MANY others who cannot come here - because of their age, but there ARE ISPs and countries which require all forums to be blocked. The UK actually almost did this; we were going to have to opt in to view "questionable content", and then we would have been tagged as potential viewers of one of those words that gets censorkipped !!

I fully support this.

The news feed is wonderful, but being able to see the full first post of a news thread on the main site itself would be awesome. Even if I don't use it much since I frequent the forums, I'd still like the option.

It ONLY needs to be the first post and nothing more, though edits will still be taken into account.

I suppose as everyone who SEES this is a forum member, it will never gain the support it NEEDS sad.gif That is so sad.

Hi, fuzz!

I would like to throw my support behind this, as what fuzz says is very true.

Edited by prpldrgnfr

I support this as well. smile.gif When I first joined I was unaware of releases and missed a few holidays as a result, so I can definitely empathize with those who don't or can't access the forums!

This would not affect me in the least, but I do see the benefit of it for some people. The current setup gives quite an advantage to those who are able to use the forums, although at least adding the news links has been some help -- non-users of the forum at least now know there is a release or whatever, although they may not know details.

Edited by purplehaze

Support. I wouldn't let a kid near these forums, but people who will not or cannot access the forums should still be able to access news.

I'd support the option of it. I do not want a huge chunk of spam taking up space on my scroll that I've already read and that doesn't pertain to me raising my dragons anyway.

Support, as long as more than TJ's posts are shown. For example, at the Halloween Carnival event, there was the post with all the sprites. Or with dragon releases, where sometimes the sprinter or concept creator will add additional information. I would like those to be on there too.

I definitely support important news posts (like those Meg_752 mentioned) being available to non-forum users. My sister doesn't use the forums because of drama she has seen, and though I can keep her updated, surely others who don't have friends or relatives to update them should have access to the pertinent information, as well as all those who don't have access for whatever reason to forums.

I'm not hostile to a link similar to what shows up for holiday events, but I don't want the entire news post stepping on the top of my scroll or squashing it to the side like it does the front page.

I'm not hostile to a link similar to what shows up for holiday events, but I don't want the entire news post stepping on the top of my scroll or squashing it to the side like it does the front page.

This.

Or, as someone else said if it could be turned OFF entirely if you are on the forum and don't need it?

Perhaps via a thing in your account settings?

Edited by Silverswift

I had visualised a separate page - like the ones for help and shop and so on. You'd only click on it if you wanted to see it.

I'd also see it as only the first posts - that is all you need to PLAY. The additional information is nice - but isn't NECESSARY. But right now, those who cannot come here are losing out on PLAY information - and that's not fair.

I like the news addition but I have one problem with it. I primarily access the site from my iPhone 5 with a portrait orientation. Now with the news addition, only about 1/3 of the width of the cave page appears unless I rotate the phone to a landscape orientation. However there are too many long pages on this site for landscape to be practical. For the cave page, I can get to the abandoned eggs page without having to scroll in portrait so it's not too much of a problem, but if this would be done on the scroll page and I would have to view it in landscape, then I'd only be able to see a couple of dragons on the screen at a time. This would make the page unusable.

If the full news articles are used and displayed on the scroll paste, make sure it's done do that the page still works in portrait orientation!

I had visualised a separate page - like the ones for help and shop and so on. You'd only click on it if you wanted to see it.

I'd also see it as only the first posts - that is all you need to PLAY. The additional information is nice - but isn't NECESSARY. But right now, those who cannot come here are losing out on PLAY information - and that's not fair.

AND this I could totally be in favor of. smile.gif

As you point out, it isn't fair that those without forum accounts can't really get the news as easily.

I have mixed feelings about this.

while its nice for news to appear on the mainpage, its a very fragile argument based upon those select few who cannot be here or dont want to be here on the forums.

If you dont like drama: dont read it, dont get an account, its not required to get to the news.

If you are not allowed due to age etc: what are you doing in the internet unsupervised anyway? People throw their kids far to early into the wilds these days, and it shows - its one of the main reasons why the developing countries catch up soo fast in terms of education - the western countries just slack off more and more each generation.

Some countries straight-up block all forums. It's not just a kid/drama thing.

Frankly, I don't see why having the main page news links lead to a separate on-site page containing the first post would be a bad thing. Right now players that use the forums have an advantage, and that's just plain unfair to anyone who can't/doesn't want to use the forums.

while its nice for news to appear on the mainpage, its a very fragile argument based upon those select few who cannot be here or dont want to be here on the forums.

If you dont like drama: dont read it, dont get an account, its not required to get to the news.

If you are not allowed due to age etc: what are you doing in the internet unsupervised anyway? People throw their kids far to early into the wilds these days, and it shows - its one of the main reasons why the developing countries catch up soo fast in terms of education - the western countries just slack off more and more each generation.

You seem to miss the point that some ISPs and whole COUNTRIES block forums. Some people who might LIKE to be here CANNOT.

One does not need an account to read the news forum... so they are not being forced to sign up for anything - no age rules are being broken because no one has to sign up to read the posts. You only need to sign up if you want to make posts.

The only benefit to having the news posts copied into the scrolls is for those people whose ISP's block website domains.. but taking it a step further... if the forums are blocked to a person, then the game should likewise be blocked... because both the game and forums utilize the dragcave.net domain.

if the forums are blocked to a person, then the game should likewise be blocked... because both the game and forums utilize the dragcave.net domain.

No, this isn't always true. The game is unavailable when accessed from my school's server, but the forums are accessible. They don't necessarily affect each other.

But what on earth is wrong with the whole first post of a news thread being available on the main site?

This isn't about the new news feed really at all, or not liking drama, although some may not want to potentially read the drama anyway. This would BENEFIT them because they can still see things important to actually *playing* the game and changes made without the rest of the drama.

There are kids games as well as several resources a lot of children nowadays have to access for homework/other school reasons. Not really sure what the rest of the post about education in differing countries has to do with anything.

And I seriously doubt it's "a select few". While those that cannot have/do not want a forum account might be few, this would also be helpful for those that don't have one because they didn't notice it or whatever other reason. There are far more accounts on the main site than on the forum, after all (and a bunch of the forum ones, as I've seen, are all spam accounts).

I really think this would just make it more fair for everyone involved if the first post could be read on the main site without having to go to a completely different site, let alone that it's a whole forum. I think it better evens the playing field between those who don't use the forum for whatever reason and those that do. While you don't need an account to view most of the forum's content, especially news posts, why should that matter??? Some just can't see it even if they wanted to!

Edited by edwardelricfreak

No support for two reasons.

First, TJ would have to post the news post twice, which is silly.

Second, the forums have always been TJ's way of communicating things to the users, and it's like that on every other website I've been on. If a user cannot access the site in full, that is not TJ's issue and is not something he should be held accountable to fix.

Just my 2¢.

If a user cannot access the site in full, that is not TJ's issue and is not something he should be held accountable to fix.

Wow, so it's okay to not try to make DC as available to the largest possible audience? "You can't play the game in full, sucks for you" is basically what your post translated to. :\ While I suppose you can play DC just fine, it sucks not having all the information about whatever new update or release there is, which imo hinders those that cannot access the forum. The elitism can stay out of this. I think TJ should try to make this site as available as possible to all kinds of audiences.

Also who says he has to post it twice? I'm sure there are ways to make it work without manually posting it. And even then, it doesn't take much time to do that if he just copies and pastes it.

No, this isn't always true. The game is unavailable when accessed from my school's server, but the forums are accessible. They don't necessarily affect each other.

Exactly - thank you. There is software, widely used in school and colleges and libraries, that blocks all forums - whether you have an account or just click the link on the cave page.

ETA @piemaster - the GAME should be fully available to all players. THAT is my issue here. The forum is on a separate site - and as TJ once told us, when something went down - even on a different SERVER.

Edited by fuzzbucket