Lelyn

Show your Dragons in Encyclopedia

I really don't see why you can't just use the sort by breed filter. I have hundreds of dragons of some breeds and loading them all in the encyclopedia would be kinda slow.

I use sort by breed when I'm on my scroll for figuring out which dragons I want to keep or release or that I need more of.

However, I want this suggestion because when I'm on the encyclopedia page, I would like to see what dragons I have without of having to go back to the scroll and search all my dragons to find the particular breed I want. I only have 500 or so dragons. I can imagine the scrolling is worse for people who have over 1000 dragons.

- Sometimes, I access the encyclopedia by clicking another person's dragon. I'd like to be able to see the amount of dragons I have without going back to my scroll and losing track of whatever it was I was doing before.

Of course, as I've stated before, I would prefer there just to be a link on the encyclopedia page that leads to another page with a list of all the dragons of a selected breed. That way, it wouldn't slow the encylopedia page, and you get a link to share a single species of dragon without having to show off your entire scroll.

Also the encyclopaedia is for all - having your own stuff  in there is insane - that would be MILLIONS of dragons, as everyone's would have to be in there....

As to the sort by breed - YES - that works fine for me. Showing them to other people by breed - well, if you WANT to - why not sort by breed, and then do a screenie ?

I'm pretty sure you'd just see your own dragons if this was implemented. It wouldn't make sense to put everyone's dragons on there. And if you have 100+ dragons of the same species, it would take multiple screen shots to get them all. Wouldn't be easier just to have a link?

I still can't see why anyone would WANT to show another user what reds or whatever they have... but to each his own.

I was rummaging around my computer files and found some old screenshots that I was going to use to propose a similar idea to this thread's topic. It ends up being pretty similar to Shokomon's suggestion, but also includes the number of dragons of that species in particular that live on your scroll.

For example:

user posted image

And then clicking on the link for adults, you would be brought to a page like this:

user posted image

(And yes it's from the old layout, that's how long ago I did these mock ups xd.png)

After a certain number (20? 50? User-designated?) it could just display linked names and not the dragon's image, to help with loading the page.

But yeah, in general I'm a fan of this idea. I agree with fuzz's opinion on not having the page sharing though, since I figured the point was to make all of your own information more easily accessible to yourself.

Edited by helix9

helix9, I like these very much!

Though clicking the link could work like the scroll filters we already have and just lead to a filtered list with the normal scroll layout - that wouldn't necessarily have to be within the encyclopedia, I think.

Ah, that's a good point actually! So instead of cluttering the "sort by" drop-down menu with the name of every species, you could use the links from the encyclopedia instead. It would be like a specialized "sort by: breed" where you only see the one breed.

Sort of like:

user posted image

And it gives you access to the manage actions link so you can breed from that page quite efficiently. Good call!

Maybe it could be a request generated link? Like with the incubator images? Maybe like this:

Say you are looking at the Black Dragon Encyclopedia page. You see this at the bottom of the page:

Stats

• Eggs Owned: 7
  • Hatchlings Owned: 4
  • Adults Raised: 2
  • Eggs Observed: 15
  • Hatchlings Observed: 9
  • Adults Observed: 1
  • See all dragons of this breed on your scroll
- The link above leads to a generic link like this:

http://dragcave.net/dragonopedia/6/dragonlist

You click the link to see all your Black Dragons. And at the top of the page you see this:

"If you would like to show your encyclopedia page to others, click here to generate a link."

If you click the link, then something like below will pop-up on the page:

http://dragcave.net/dragonopedia/6/Shokomon/t837dhejdh4

(The end there is an arbitrary set of numbers, and letters.)

-----

And thus, you get a radomly generated link to share your dragons with. Dragons that are fogged shouldn't show up, unless they are unfogged. You probably wouldn't need to be hide encyclopedia pages either, as the page would be created on an as needed basis.

This would work wonderfully. I like it! :3

I also like what you decided to do helix9 it looks like it can so work and be visually appealing too. :3 Whoever said that all 100+ of your reds so to say, have to be on the SAME PAGE? I have nothing against a specialized breed sort to go through them very easily and just click on the next pages while still in that sort. :3

i have 4 grown up dragons, female blacktip, male hellfire wyvern, male duotone,

and a female caligene. i also have a egg with a crack in it, about to hatch i think. its a nilia pygmy

A little brainfart that got me thinking. I thought I would like to see it, and maybe other would too. love to hear options..

Currently the encyclopedia doesn't really do much. Like some dragons have extra info, which is awesome and the encyclopedia also gives us a great goal to "collect" all sprites. Not to mention, its fun. But other than that, the encyclopedia doesn't really do much... Like we managed to survive a few years before without it, not to mention it doesn't really help gameplay.

Which was then when I got thinking, how to make it a bit more inclusive to gameplay and seem a little less like an add on feature. The encyclopedia links all your dragon species to each particular dragon page..

Lets say for example I'm looking for my red dragons and for some reason, couldn't find them... Or even the one I was looking for. You would go into the red dragon page, and it would have all red dragons alive/ on your scroll. Even if there was a way to search each breed, like to look for all the ones with progeny, generation or gender.

~~~~~~

My thought is that it would help make the encyclopedia a bit more useful and at the same time, helpful in finding a particular dragon. It might come in handy for people with larger scroll, who are unfamiliar where they can find their dragon on "x" page...