Lelyn

Show your Dragons in Encyclopedia

It would be great if you could see all your dragons of a specific breed when you visit the corresponding page in the dragon encyclopedia.

As for myself I don't have in my mind which breed is located on which page of my scroll and so I search several pages until I find that dragon I want to breed now or the breed of an hatchling to see what is next in the naming scheme.

I think it would be handy that for each breed entry in the Dragonpedia, there would be a link (or maybe just a list) to which dragons you own of that breed.

Because sometimes when I'm browsing the 'pedia, I'm like, how many of those do I have again? And then I have to go back to my scroll and check their names and genders and count them and all that.

(I know it lists how many eggs/hatchlings/adults you've raised, but I'm talking something more specific than that).

Just an idea.

I like this idea. I'd often want to see what I have after I clicked a link to a dragon's encyclopedia page (since the stats are only accurate until the date of the encyclopedia's creation.)

Why not just a link on the page that leads to all the dragons you possess that are under the breed?

So you would see something like this:

Stats

Eggs Owned: 7

Hatchlings Owned: 4

Adults Raised: 2

Eggs Observed: 15

Hatchlings Observed: 9

Adults Observed: 19

See all dragons on your scroll of this breed

And then the link leads to a Progeny-like page, that lists all your dragons. That way, it won't lag the encyclopedia itself.

Edit: Minor wording edits.

I was rummaging around my computer files and found some old screenshots that I was going to use to propose a similar idea to this thread's topic. It ends up being pretty similar to Shokomon's suggestion, but also includes the number of dragons of that species in particular that live on your scroll.

For example:

user posted image

And then clicking on the link for adults, you would be brought to a page like this:

user posted image

(And yes it's from the old layout, that's how long ago I did these mock ups xd.png)

After a certain number (20? 50? User-designated?) it could just display linked names and not the dragon's image, to help with loading the page.

But yeah, in general I'm a fan of this idea. I agree with fuzz's opinion on not having the page sharing though, since I figured the point was to make all of your own information more easily accessible to yourself.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

An encyclopaedia is a reference work that everyone can use.

If we were to get info like this, it shouldn't be in there, it should be in a "book" of your own.

But you can always sort by breed, and go from there. Or join in the request for tabs:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=79853

which would do what you need.

It would be great if you could see all your dragons of a specific breed when you visit the corresponding page in the dragon encyclopedia.

i do not support this, as many an army/hoarders would cause that page to constantly break.

Can you imagine how a page with TWO-THOUSAND links looks like?

I agree that other solutions work better, tags more than tabs but both could be used.

Edited by whitebaron

I think it would be handy that for each breed entry in the Dragonpedia, there would be a link (or maybe just a list) to which dragons you own of that breed.

Because sometimes when I'm browsing the 'pedia, I'm like, how many of those do I have again? And then I have to go back to my scroll and check their names and genders and count them and all that.

(I know it lists how many eggs/hatchlings/adults you've raised, but I'm talking something more specific than that).

Just an idea.

I think the temporary "sort by" filter on the scroll is better/less messy than this has the potential to be. I have 400 black teas. Having all of those linked/listed on the encyclopedia page would be rather clunky pretty much no matter how this is set up. ^^;;

I have over 200 dragons of each of 4 different breeds, at least 100 of each of another 4 breeds, and I don't think this idea would be useful for me.

If I really want to look at my dragons by breed, I go to Filter By: Show All, and then set Sort By: to Breed.

I like this idea. I'd often want to see what I have after I clicked a link to a dragon's encyclopedia page (since the stats are only accurate until the date of the encyclopedia's creation.)

Why not just a link on the page that leads to all the dragons you possess that are under the breed?

Stats

• Eggs Owned: 7
  • Hatchlings Owned: 4
  • Adults Raised: 2
  • Eggs Observed: 15
  • Hatchlings Observed: 9
  • Adults Observed: 19
  • See all dragons on your scroll of this breed
And then the link leads to a Progeny-like page, that lists all your dragons. That way, it won't lag the encyclopedia itself.

Edited by Shokomon

I like this idea. I'd often want to see what I have after I click a link to the encyclopedia (since the stats are only accurate until the date of the encyclopedia's creation.)

Stats

And then the link leads to a page like the Progeny page, that lists all your dragons. That way, it won't lag the encyclopedia itself.

I like this much better than the OP's idea. Good thinking! smile.gif

Stats

This sounds nice! I definitely would like it to just be a link... 500+ Royal Blues on the encyclopedia page for that breed sounds like it would load slowly, for me.

Stats

Eggs Owned: 7

Hatchlings Owned: 4

Adults Raised: 2

Eggs Observed: 15

Hatchlings Observed: 9

Adults Observed: 19

See all dragons on your scroll of this breed

Yep, this sounds cool!

Also, maybe the link would be such that other people could see your page if your scroll is visible? like:

http://dragcave.net/user/MessengerDragon/breed/mint

Something of this sort, so that if you wanted to see all dragons of a type on someone else's scroll, you could type in their username and the breed you want to see? Could also be useful for those wishing to show off hoards. =)

Edited by MessengerDragon

Yep, this sounds cool!

Also, maybe the link would be such that other people could see your page if your scroll is visible? like:

http://dragcave.net/user/MessengerDragon/breed/mint

Something of this sort, so that if you wanted to see all dragons of a type on someone else's scroll, you could type in their username and the breed you want to see? Could also be useful for those wishing to show off hoards. =)

NO. (please, she added politely-ish)

I do NOT want others able to sort my scroll (which is what that would mean) in ANY way. I don't want people able to trawl through my scroll like that. Think of it: "I wonder if messenger has any CB golds... Oh good she has three - now I will try and make her breed for me". (I made that up, BTW - I didn't look at your scroll. xd.png)

NO THANKS - it would be just asking for harassing PMs.

Idk, I think it sounds kind of neat. I guess I can see how people could abuse it, but I personally would report anyone so fast if they tried to make me or harass me into breeding anything for them.

That's getting a little off topic, though. I guess all I wanted to say is, this is a cool idea and beats the heck out of sitting there and trying to tally my dragons in normal view when I need to count them for collection and scroll goal reasons.

Edited by silver_chan

Idk, I think it sounds kind of neat. I guess I can see how people could abuse it, but I personally would report anyone so fast if they tried to make me or harass me into breeding anything for them.

That's getting a little off topic, though. I guess all I wanted to say is, this is a cool idea and beats the heck out of sitting there and trying to tally my dragons in normal view when I need to count them for collection and scroll goal reasons.

Sort by breed does that. You'd have to count anyway, once they were all on your screen.

NO. (please, she added politely-ish)

I do NOT want others able to sort my scroll (which is what that would mean) in ANY way. I don't want people able to trawl through my scroll like that. Think of it: "I wonder if messenger has any CB golds... Oh good she has three - now I will try and make her breed for me". (I made that up, BTW - I didn't look at your scroll. xd.png)

NO THANKS - it would be just asking for harassing PMs.

You can have off/on setting in the user settings.

I, for one, would like other people to be able to see what dragons I have, but I like my scroll being an utter mess. (yes, I know, weird. But that's more visually appealing) So this would be something I'd turn on. Default should probably off though.

(sorry about the off-topic post, btw.)

My scroll is not a mess (ehm....) but many pages are sorted by code (SW-related, TF-related, interesting in Hungarian, interesting in English etc) so I would love an option to see my dragons by breed while also keeping the scroll sorted as it is now.

So that's a yes from me!

My scroll is not a mess (ehm....) but many pages are sorted by code (SW-related, TF-related, interesting in Hungarian, interesting in English etc) so I would love an option to see my dragons by breed while also keeping the scroll sorted as it is now.

So that's a yes from me!

But for others to be able to ?

But for others to be able to ?

Fuzz, if you don't want people to see what you have to harass you, you can hide your scroll.

Myself, I like the idea of being able to see all the dragons on one breed on a scroll. And I, for one, have no problem with telling beggers to take a hike. That's why they have "block".

Cheers!

C4.

I thought we couldn't view other people's encyclopedias. Just our own. So, it wouldn't make sense to have a link to other people's encyclopedias. We would just get bounced back to our own encyclopedia.

Unless you mean a share link like the one you have for your scroll. In that case, maybe on the page where you see all your dragons of a particular breed, you would see a link like this:

"If you would like to show your encyclopedia page to others, give them the following link:

http://dragcave.net/dragonopedia/user/MessengerDragon/mint

That way you could control who would see it. You could also hide encyclopedia pages like you would scrolls from the accounts page. Just for ease, it would have to be an all or nothing deal, as in you would either hide all encyclopedia pages or make all encyclopedia pages viewable.

Edit: Typo, wording, and format fixes

Edited by Shokomon

Fuzz, if you don't want people to see what you have to harass you, you can hide your scroll.

Myself, I like the idea of being able to see all the dragons on one breed on a scroll. And I, for one, have no problem with telling beggers to take a hike. That's why they have "block".

Cheers!

C4.

Look, I breed for free. So I am fine with people looking at it - it would be fairly silly to offer to do that if I hid it. I am happy to see visitors. My dinos (they're up the top) welcome you, they really do xd.png And my neglecteds (both gifts from lovely people !) love to think someone wants to look at them...

But I DON'T want the people that show up and check all my best stuff and ask for eggs to have it that EASY. I don't know how best to say this, but I like to breed more for the have nots and the people who don't ask all the time for everything they can dream up from all my rares. The people who list all my silvers and ask for eggs from each of them are not my favourites.

My scroll isn't that hard to search - but I don't want those grabbers to be able to pull my shimmers and them ask for eggs from each one of them (except the unfortunate misgendered one...) If they want to do that they can look through my scroll till they find them. A bit of work never hurt anyone. (And yes, I have two people blocked. And the email address of the one who started to harass that way after I - and several others here ninja.gif - blocked his PMs is blocked too. But it's just one more thing to have to do.)

If someone WANTS others to be able to do that - fair enough, but please make it optional.

So that's a yes from me!

Lol, I like my scroll sorted in order of date of acquisition and didn't know until someone kindly pointed out that by going into 'Account Default' on the right side of our scrolls and clicking on 'Breed' we could temporarily see our scrolls sorted by breed without having to reorganize back to however we'd had them, whenever we wanted. It's absolutely brilliant. smile.gif

I thought we couldn't view other people's encyclopedias. Just our own. So, it wouldn't make sense to have a link to other people's encyclopedias. We would just get bounced back to our own encyclopedia.

Unless you mean a share link like the one you have for your scroll. In that case, maybe on the page where you see all your dragons of a particular breed, you would see a link like this:

"If you would like to show your encyclopedia page to others, give them the following link:

http://dragcave.net/dragonopedia/user/MessengerDragon/mint

That way you could control who would see it. You could also hide encyclopedia pages like you would scrolls from the accounts page. Just for ease, it would have to be an all or nothing deal, as in you would either hide all encyclopedia pages or make all encyclopedia pages viewable.

Edit: Typo, wording, and format fixes

It would need some sort of /(random) at the end of the links to make sure it's secure. With that format it'd be trivially easy to mess with the url to see whatever I wanted. Otherwise I like this compromise. happy.gif

It would need some sort of /(random) at the end of the links to make sure it's secure. With that format it'd be trivially easy to mess with the url to see whatever I wanted. Otherwise I like this compromise. happy.gif

Maybe it could be a request generated link? Like with the incubator images? Maybe like this:

Say you are looking at the Black Dragon Encyclopedia page. You see this at the bottom of the page:

Stats

• Adults Observed: 1
  • See all dragons of this breed on your scroll
- The link above leads to a generic link like this:

http://dragcave.net/dragonopedia/6/dragonlist

You click the link to see all your Black Dragons. And at the top of the page you see this:

"If you would like to show your encyclopedia page to others, click here to generate a link."

If you click the link, then something like below will pop-up on the page:

http://dragcave.net/dragonopedia/6/Shokomon/t837dhejdh4

(The end there is an arbitrary set of numbers, and letters.)

-----

And thus, you get a radomly generated link to share your dragons with. Dragons that are fogged shouldn't show up, unless they are unfogged. You probably wouldn't need to be hide encyclopedia pages either, as the page would be created on an as needed basis.

I really don't see why you can't just use the sort by breed filter. I have hundreds of dragons of some breeds and loading them all in the encyclopedia would be kinda slow.

I really don't see why you can't just use the sort by breed filter. I have hundreds of dragons of some breeds and loading them all in the encyclopedia would be kinda slow.

Also the encyclopaedia is for all - having your own stuff in there is insane - that would be MILLIONS of dragons, as everyone's would have to be in there....

As to the sort by breed - YES - that works fine for me. Showing them to other people by breed - well, if you WANT to - why not sort by breed, and then do a screenie ?