wobster109

Make names of dead dragons available?

Eh, I never liked how you could find dragons via name. It's the main argument against duplicate names, along with the whole creativity argument. Personally though, seeing as how I doubt that feature will just poof away anytime soon, I have a solution.

When you search the name, if it detects that two dragons have the name, it will take you to a disambiguation page. It will ask you something like, "There are two dragons with this name. Would you like to see the live or dead one?" and then give you a link to the two dragons. Now I'm no coder, but I can guess that this wouldn't really be that hard for TJ to do, especially since it's two dragons every time, never any more.

I'd be cool with a remove name option, but then of course it'd be up to the dragon owner to free up the name, and if said member hasn't been on for a few years getting them to give you that name, whether that's through bargaining or just the kindness of their heart, would be a little hard.

Edit: I can grammar so gud.

Edited by Psycho Cat

That's why I'd like both the ability for owners to remove their names AND for names to become available after a certain period of user related inactivity. Then people who make deadlines on their scrolls could keep the names, whereas I could remove the silly tombstone titles I gave failed zombies for reuse next year and people long gone couldn't keep control of names.

I guess the two name split would be okay, but I'd rather see something else done. I use the /n/ shortcut extensively--I have over 2,500 named dragons and, as I often play on mobile, using that shortcut is the quickest way to zip between dragons I remember the names of but not the crazy random codes. Having an occasional interruption to that disambiguation page wouldn't be a huge deal, but at the same time...

I guess the two name split would be okay, but I'd rather see something else done. I use the /n/ shortcut extensively--I have over 2,500 named dragons and, as I often play on mobile, using that shortcut is the quickest way to zip between dragons I remember the names of but not the crazy random codes. Having an occasional interruption to that disambiguation page wouldn't be a huge deal, but at the same time...

This. The /n/ thing is hugely useful when you need to find dragon mizzlecloud in a hurry, for instance. Who remembers the code from one minute to the next ?

Why wouldn't the owner of a dead dragon be able to chisel whatever name they choose on their dead dragon's tombstones?

Do I smell a potential for a Halloween dragon BSA?

Or am I talking through my hat once again?

Yes for this suggestion! I have a few zombie fails holding up names I'd really like to use in a lineage, and making the names available again would be a great idea. I don't really see the point of keeping their names anyways. Only zombies should be able to keep their names, and I think that's what makes them special in a tombstone lineage smile.gif

Why wouldn't the owner of a dead dragon be able to chisel whatever name they choose on their dead dragon's tombstones?

I think that if the dead dragon didnt have a name before it died then it wouldnt show up if it did then it would if it didnt have one maybe there should be a bsa for maybe like grave dragons were you could like write the name on the tombstone or name it

Probably, as I KNOW we aren't supposed to say TJ said, but he DID said back in the mists of time that holiday dragons don't get BSAs (don't mention bite - that was brought up at the time, and it was pointed out that that is not a BSA but a method of reproduction !)

I think that if the dead dragon didnt have a name before it died then it wouldnt show up if it did then it would if it didnt have one maybe there should be a bsa for maybe like grave dragons were you could like write the name on the tombstone or name it

Um what? If a dragon dies without a name it can't be named so obviously there wouldn't be one showing.

This suggestion is to remove names from dead dragons because currently there is no way to do that.

I really don't understand why any dead dragon needs a name personally. but then, I'd prefer they still disappeared and had their codes recycled when they die too. Why eat up server space remembering dragons that don't actually exist anymore?

I really don't understand why any dead dragon needs a name personally. but then, I'd prefer they still disappeared and had their codes recycled when they die too. Why eat up server space remembering dragons that don't actually exist anymore?

WELL - the one I linked and his mate need their names; since the IDEA was to show than JUST as nameless tombstones called "deceased" like the pair in this one:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/homQQ

and it didn't happen, I want their NAMES up there as the next best thing, OK ? xd.png. They exist in the past, in history - just like my grandparents do !