DoggyGuy

Anti View Bomb Oath

On the danger of being a complete spoilsport - I have a big problem with this oath thing.

If you'll allow me to explain?

1. Naming your dragons or not naming them is a choice everyone can and should make for themselves, so if someone takes an oath to name all their dragons it actually means something, they make a commitment.

Posting someones eggs without their permission is against the rules. Anyone joining Dragon Cave never mind this Forum has basically already promised not to do this. Asking people to make an oath not to do it is not only redundant, it weakens the rule. This 'oathing' thing makes it seem as if viewbombing is the same thing as leaving your dragons unnamed and it is not.

2. I considered if this was a good thing anyway because of the 'awareness' factor, but I don't see what good it will do. I don't see someone who is viewbombing stopping that behaviour because some people declare they won't do it. On the contrary, I think acting that way is more likely troll behaviour than not and those people will be glad for the attention.

3. Spreading 'awareness' means you keep reminding people that there is relative easy way to hurt other people with this. I fear that instead of reducing the problem this will instead made it spread.

Thanks for listening

Ok!^_^

I swear by this oath, that I, Hazel360, shall never commit the offence of viewbombing someone else's scroll. Ever.

Laura Lana, I believe this is helping, as I was being continuously view bombed before, and since then I have been left alone. I watch for suspicious activity. The other people who view bomb won't stop, but these people who I list and put the banners in their scroll spread awareness that fan sites have/will/are doing something about it.

Dryadia, you have been added.

Phenri, you have been added.

Attention: Allure of Neglected Dragons has stated that they have thought about the issue, and they will work on it sometime in the future. The time was not stated, but we hold high that this issue can be fixed. Please do not PM anymore fansites, as they have been notified and are aware of the issue. I am thinking about this day and night, and when I get a solution, I will be sure to share it with you.

Edit: Hazel360 you slipped in. Adding

Edited by DoggyGuy

I solemnly swear that I'll never view bomb other players' dragons and I'll not add eggs/hatchlings to hatcheries without their owner's permission.

I solemnly swear that I, PokeTami will never view bomb other players' dragons and I will not add any eggs or hatchling to any hatcheries without the owners' express permission.

Why do people even do this? ohmy.gif

I solemnly swear that I, PokeTami will never view bomb other players' dragons and I will not add any eggs or hatchling to any hatcheries without the owners' express permission.

Why do people even do this? ohmy.gif

I don't know PokeTami, I don't know.

You have been added

I solemnly swear that I, Eos on the forum and RSoleil on dragcave, will never view bomb other players' dragons and I will not add any eggs or hatchling to any hatcheries without the owners' express permission. smile.gif

I had contemplated posting something similar to Laura-Lana, because I largely agree, but I do not feel as strongly about it as she does. I do, however, take issue with this part:

...spread awareness that fan sites have to do something: place a password on it.

This is not a fansite issue. Sure, fansites can add extra hoops for people to jump through that might make it a tiny bit harder for the less determined (and thereby less dangerous) view-bombers. But that will not solve the problem of view-bombing, because the cases where it really hurts use sites completely unrelated to DC. Sites which get much more traffic than any DC fansite could ever generate normally. The only way to actually stop view-bombing, and especially the most dangerous type, is to find a way to prevent the excessive views from counting in the first place -- and that needs to happen through DC itself. Taking an oath to support a suggestion which targets the real problem makes far more sense than taking an oath to not break the ToS to which we have all already agreed. (And yes, I realize some of those links are improved ways to deal with the effect, rather than the cause, but it still makes more sense than agreeing that you have not been and will continue to not be the problem.)

Attention: Allure of Neglected Dragons has stated that they are fixing the issue, but they need time.

Also, please don't go mis-quoting me and getting people's hopes up more than they should be. I did not say that I was actively "fixing" anything. I said that I have a huge list of changes I want to make, including something like this, but that I do not currently have time for any of them -- nor do I know when I might have time. But I doubt it will be soon.

I had contemplated posting something similar to Laura-Lana, because I largely agree, but I do not feel as strongly about it as she does.  I do, however, take issue with this part:

This is not a fansite issue.  Sure, fansites can add extra hoops for people to jump through that might make it a tiny bit harder for the less determined (and thereby less dangerous) view-bombers.  But that will not solve the problem of view-bombing, because the cases where it really hurts use sites completely unrelated to DC.  Sites which get much more traffic than any DC fansite could ever generate normally.  The only way to actually stop view-bombing, and especially the most dangerous type, is to find a way to prevent the excessive views from counting in the first place -- and that needs to happen through DC itself.  Taking an oath to support a suggestion which targets the real problem makes far more sense than taking an oath to not break the ToS to which we have all already agreed.  (And yes, I realize some of those links are improved ways to deal with the effect, rather than the cause, but it still makes more sense than agreeing that you have not been and will continue to not be the problem.)

Also, please don't go mis-quoting me and getting people's hopes up more than they should be.  I did not say that I was actively "fixing" anything.  I said that I have a huge list of changes I want to make, including something like this, but that I do not currently have time for any of them -- nor do I know when I might have time.  But I doubt it will be soon.

I am sorry for misquoting you, and I will change the information respectively. I realize you have a lot to do, and I appreciate that you even have this issue on your list. Hopefully I will not repeat this mistake.

Edit: The statement has been redone:

Attention: Allure of Neglected Dragons has stated that they have thought about the issue, and they will work on it sometime in the future. The time was not stated, but we hold high that this issue can be fixed. Please do not PM anymore fansites, as they have been notified and are aware of the issue. I am thinking about this day and night, and when I get a solution, I will be sure to share it with you.

Edited by DoggyGuy

I have to agree with Laura-Lana and bbik, I don't see much sense in a "I swear not to break the rules I have agreed to" oath xd.png

(it's not just this thread, the single scroll oath is pretty much the same)

Also, I believe that showing in public how upset you are about viewbombing can be encouraging for people who are doing this.

So no oath here, sorry.

Laura Lana, I believe this is helping, as I was being continuously view bombed before, and since then I have been left alone.

You made this thread only yesterday, maybe your viewbomber got bored or wasn't online yet, or maybe it's a coincidence and they found another victim yesterday - but I doubt that your oath has anything to do with it xd.png Good luck you'll be left alone, though, viewbombing is a malicious and annoying thing indeed, I just don't believe something like this thread is helping at all.

Ha-Ki, I won't dwell on the topic to keep it straightfoward, but directly after I took sides, I lost the view bomber. I am creating this to hopefully do something, if anything to view bombing. If you don't like it, and that goes for everyone, please do not express your feeling here. They have been expressed, and this isn't about getting people to not do anything, it's about getting people to do something.

Edit: xGAJx, you have been added

Edited by DoggyGuy

Here's a banner, if you want one. o3o

user posted image

[url=https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=164944][img=http://i59.tinypic.com/v445yx.png][/url]

I solemnly swear that I, sidmar will never view bomb other players' dragons and I will not add any eggs or hatchling to any hatcheries without the owners' express permission.

...Also, I believe that showing in public how upset you are about viewbombing can be encouraging for people who are doing this...

Hmm, I sure don't want to call anymore negative attention than I've already gotten.

Someone put my scroll on multiple click sites again early this morning. (Probably unrelated to this thread.)

Here's a banner, if you want one. o3o

user posted image

[url=https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=164944][img=http://i59.tinypic.com/v445yx.png][/url]

Thanks for the banner ab613!

sidmar, you have been added.

Dryadia, that is horrible. Who would do this? I suggest hiding your scroll while you are not online for now.

DoggyGuy - I certainly hope you truly have lost your viewbomber, whatever the cause.

Unfortunately I am still not convinced that this oath is going to be helpful, but I figure you guys can do without my support. There are not many moments in life when one wishes to be wrong, but if this project really could reduce viewbombing I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Thank you Laura-Lana, and I have truly lost the view bomber. Support is not required, it is given freely. I give my support to whatever it may be: whether successful, dying or gone.

...Dryadia, that is horrible. Who would do this? I suggest hiding your scroll while you are not online for now.

Yeah, but I couldn't hide it, although I did fog everything last night except the hatchie I currently have in trade. (which hatched pre-maturely because of excessive views from the un-authorized adding of my scroll to multiple click sites done multiple early mornings before I woke up).

I agree. I hope you will lose them soon.

Official news:

I will remake thread homepage soon. If anyone has ideas, let me know here, I am tired of answering PMs

My attempt to create a banner for this topic. I am not a artist, so this may not be the best banner sad.gif

user posted image

P.S. You might want to fix the oath takers list. My name had appeared twice.