angelicdragonpuppy

"Library" Section!

I believe there was a suggestion like this before, but I can't find it. If you know where it is, please point me towards it!

Alright, so, we now have an Encyclopedia. But what if, more than that, we had an entire library? I'm picturing a link (either on the main page or account settings) through which you could access not just your encyclopedia, but also:

---> A news section, where either links to the news threads or, better yet, TJ's actual news posts could be seen.

---> A notice board, where people could post trade offers or wish lists

---> A dragon registry, where either random described dragons or specific ones could be located, and comments could be 'scribbled on' to the pages (there would be an option to disable this if people didn't want to receive comments)

---> A dragon directory, where one can search for any dragons at all (see here)

---> Plus anything else we might think of!

Obviously many of the above would be a project to integrate all by themselves (for example, setting up an in-game trading system and messaging system), but I think it'd be a neat way to integrate a lot of great features together nicely.

I am usually not that negative to suggestions, and i even like the idea and name of library, but:

1 TJ has shown screenshots of a neat inclusion of the news on the page. No need for two news sections.

2 we have a notice board. It's called forum.

3 i think people who describe their dragons put a lot too much emphasis on descriptions. Most dragons on dc are utterly undescribed or even unnamed.

4 as i posted in your other suggestion, i believe such features as opt-in directories etc. belong on FANSITES.

I like this, with some tweaks (maybe less emphasis on new features and more on uncluttering the Account page).

Also, yeah the forum is a notice board, but nowhere near all players use the forum.

2 we have a notice board. It's called forum.

- which many players cannot actually access. Children, people in areas where blocking software simply doesn't allow forums....

I do think that with the limitations of forums - not everyone can/wants to participate - at least News announcements should be accessible somewhere in cave. I'm not sure what other of the items angelicdragonpuppy suggests would be advisable, but I do agree with the idea that a bit more info than is presently accessible to the cave would be a good thing.

I agree with whitebaron concerning the news section, TJ is working on including the news in the home page already, as shown here. So no need to make yet another news section, it's already going to be two (one on the new home page and one on the forums).

I'm a bit undecided about the notice board. Though I'd like an on-site trading system, I think it would quickly become very messy and it would be hard to find what you're looking for - we have all those different trading threads for different stuff on the forums, so I think an on-site system needs different categories as well to function. Ideally a filter which allows you to search existing trades. And probably a lot more. So I'm not really sure if it's worth the effort.

I'd really like some "show random described dragon" function though - I like browsing through dragon descriptions, which is what makes me review user descriptions. Many of the descriptions I've read made me laugh, and it would be cool if we were able to read random approved ones as well.

ETA: Thinking about it, if we had something like that, less people might review unapproved descriptions because they prefer to read approved "high quality" ones, and that would mean it takes even longer to get a description approved...

Edited by Ha-Ki