Red2111

Picking a Dragons mate

i searched and didn't see a discussion on this smile.gif

so how do you go about picking a dragons mate? be it a new release, a CB you just picked up, designing a checker or picking a holiday mate or a lineage you're continuing.

for me, when it comes to CB's and Holidays, i look for what complements the pose and color scheme of the sprite.

one of the perfect pairings to show this (imho) is the Male Grave and Female Spessartine wub.gif

sometimes i look for mates that will bring out a small color accent in a dragon , like what the Almodines do for Lurkers

and then there is the fun of deciding which dragon to continue the lineage when you have a hoarde. the CD comes off and you go to breed the line, but you have like 20+ different possible mates to choose from and the one you've been using never produces a shiny, or you feel like changing up the mate to get a bit of variety in the progeny.

so what method does everyone use to pick that new mate?

me, i've been using a d20 system (for non RPG table top players, that basically means rolling dice) rather than just going with the previously tried mates.

i'll count out all the potential mates on my scroll and use the proper dice. using the above line as an example, i have 12 CB GW males on my scroll i could breed with it. so i'll roll a 1d12 (a single 12 sided dice) and pick which ever dragon corresponded to the number the dice lands on.

i've also used random.org; using the same numbering system. but i love being able to physically roll out my dragons mate each week laugh.gif gives my dice something to do in between weekly D&D campaigns at any rate xd.png

Edited by Red2111

Naturally I pair all releases with whites. o3o However, I usually look for color, contrast, and body poses as well. I like it better when the heads of the male and female seem to be looking towards each other than having both the heads looking the same direction.

Here are some examples of the combinations I've really liked:

Nhiostrife x Waterhorse

Canopy x Blusang

Radiant Angel x White

Green Nebula x Terrae

Ember x Red Nebula

The few times I've gone ahead & created a checker, I did with poses in mind.

Fire & Brimstone

BBW (M) x Tri Horn

BBW (F) x Flamingo

I like pairs to be looking at each other, when possible. The female BBW x Flamingo is one of my favorites, I like the way both dragons look like they're taking to the sky, almost like they're racing each other to get airborn first.

Then there's this. Blusang x Tan Ridgewing is just too pretty not to mix together. Once I'm done revamping that checker (so all CB originators are on my scroll), I'll be taking that to 6th gen.

I usually choose based on lineage. I don't like picking up dragons with enormous lineages (they're usualls IB anyway), but if it's clear that the person who bred the egg I picked up had a pattern going, I'll take the challenge of trying to continue it.

As for CB dragons, I usually pick same-breed dragons to mate. It makes keeping track of mates a lot simpler, too.

I usually just pick whichever mate strikes my fancy at the time, at least with CBs. I'm not too fussed about which of my CB Balloons breeds with which of my CB Arsani, so long as I get an egg. I do tend to breed proven pairs when I can, though. At holidays, unless someone has requested a specific pair, I use much the same method, although I do try to get the poses and colors to match somewhat.

Complementary colour and pose.

When continuing a lineage or when trying Luckiest Catch with new mates, I just start with the first eligible dragon I find, give the pairing a couple of goes to perform, then just go onto the next and the next until I find a pairing that "works". smile.gif

Mainly colour, but occasionally code, name or anything else special.

Speaking of colour scheme, EATW and AoND are very helpful to preview it (not exactly same as shown on DC, though).

when I'm picking a mate for one of my CBs I go with Dragons that look good together and have similar breed personalities

one example of Dragons I think go well together

Lurkers and Albinos they look good together and both dislike sunlight, as well as have an odd call (sadly I've got no CB Lurkers)

when it comes to lineaged Dragons I normally just go what ever the person before me did

The first thing I look for is matching colors! Then I start thinking of complementary colors/colors that just look pleasing to the eye for me. Then I start thinking of how the poses match. More frequently now, I start thinking of their descriptions and how the dragons might actually match with their descriptions in mind. C: