angelicdragonpuppy

Dragon Search Function

While looking for blood swaps to continue some of my lineage projects, I've often wished to myself that there was a better way to find the dragons I need than by continually scanning the trade threads. That's when I got this idea!

What I'm proposing is the addition of a "database" of dragons that could be searched from the site itself. Adding your dragons to this searchable database would be entirely optional (there'd be a checklist where you could pull up and mark which ones you wanted to submit), and from then on other people could search for them. While common forum terms like "checker" or "stair" might not be immediately recognizable (although if they were added with multiple example pictures it might work...), I think other parameters could get the job done. A few I was thinking of would be:

- Generation of dragon

- Breeds included (includes a gender option, so I could, say, look for a lineage with only male Marrows and female Albinos)

- Number of ancestors in lineage (a round about way to look for even gens; if I did a search for a 3rd gen dragon with 6 ancestors, the only possible result would be an even gen)

- Inbreeding presence / absence

- Name presence / absence (maybe even name length range, in character amount?)

- Description presence / absence (ok, not super vital, but would be cool!)

- Relation / lack of relation to other dragons (you'd input the code of the dragon you wanted others compared to, and only ones that were either related or not related as desired would be shown)

To put it all together, I could perform a search along the lines of 4g, only Sunsongs, 14 ancestors, no inbreeding, not related to one of my 4g Sunsongs, and wala! With a little luck, I could find myself a potential blood swap partner! biggrin.gif

A feature like this would also be great for finding neat lineages in general. I think it'd work best if some type of on site message feature was added as well, but it's not a necessity. Hopefully anyone who used the feature would have a scroll name showing through which they could be contacted anyway, as it's not overly useful to add your dragons otherwise! xd.png

ADP how is it that you always seem to have wonderful ideas? >w<

I would LOVE to see this added! Hopefully, though, it won't lead to too much pestering. :c As it IS optional, at least it's not like it's anyone's fault but that person's if they put their dragons in and end up pestered.

You could even add searching for specific names/codes in the parameters, to make finding Thuweds and such easier. I know that can be fulfilled with "Relation" or lack thereof, but if you only knew the name it might be a bit annoying to retrieve that dragon's code.

Full support~

I support this, but it seems like it would be very, very hard to code.

I support this, but it seems like it would be very, very hard to code.

Actually, I'd like this very much to be available for fansite coders. All we'd need for that is the breed info in the API.

Please don't judge hard to code, it's usually futile for non-professionals to do so. (they mess it up all the time)

Actually, I'd like this very much to be available for fansite coders. All we'd need for that is the breed info in the API.

Please don't judge hard to code, it's usually futile for non-professionals to do so. (they mess it up all the time)

http://xkcd.com/1425/

But really, the whole opt-in thing seems overly complicated and would probably kill usefulness by making it too limited that you're unlikely to find what you're searching for. And with per-dragon controls, it's a surprising amount of work just to opt-in.

http://xkcd.com/1425/

But really, the whole opt-in thing seems overly complicated and would probably kill usefulness by making it too limited that you're unlikely to find what you're searching for. And with per-dragon controls, it's a surprising amount of work just to opt-in.

Hm. Would it be viable if it was just automatic? I guess hiding scroll names would still preserve privacy for those who found themselves bothered by it.

I really hope this happens! I don't think I'd use it personally, but it seems like it could be really useful.

I think maybe it would be easier to make it opt-out, even if that would rile some feathers. It wouldn't show scroll names if someone has their name hidden. I think it might? still pull up dragons on totally hidden scrolls, as well.

What if observation added dragons to a breed catalog a la encyclopedia? That way people could offer up their dragons a la the thread in site discussion. Or interesting lineage threads. That way, the workload would be divided between breeder and hopeful receiver.