Butterflyzilla

Wilderness: A "capture" option for adult dragons.

I do not see this as being a good idea at all. WIld dragons are just to fill out the world to give reason/fluff/story for why there are dragons available in the cave.

Given that the comments saying "rare dragons would be picked out fast" yep, I am inclined to agree. "Faster connections will prevail" Again, I will agree.

How about something that seems to work to a degree.

I suppose a system similar in nature to the chicken smoothie pound, which displays X amount of dragons, chosen at random for say 20 seconds, may even the playing field. That would allow people to pick from a random selection and giving people a chance to pick a rare. AP system of refresh, refresh, refresh, to get a new display would not be viable. The chicken smoothie system with the wildnerness being open for a brief periods would perhaps not drain the system. It could open once or twice a day at random times.

Alternatively, an option to release (adults only) to: Wild, Adoption may give an option to keep wilderness wild and just keeping hatchies either Wild or AP.

Something like this I would agree with - yet even on Chicken Smoothie, there is the problem that rares are usually the first thing snatched up [as many of the more experienced players know what 'styles' are rare and what are not - whereas newer players don't know what's a rare, what's a common, etc]

Still though - I also look at the fact that someone chose to release that dragon for a reason (Didn't want it to breed, wrong gender, wrong color [ex. wanted a red nebula, got a blue], etc) - which to me is a choice that should be respected.

Chicken Smoothie's Pound is different as the pets in question are all either seized from rule breaking accounts or were donated by kind players for others to adopt.

Personally, if done as a Pound like situation - I'd like to see users have a choice to decide whether or not the Dragon can be 'captured' once released.

So underneath or above the box where you enter your password to release the dragon could be a check box of:

allow *dragon* to be captured by other hunters.

If checked off - the Dragon would go to the 'adoptable' part of the Wildnerss (an area closer to where people are where they are more likely to be seen and captured.)

If not checked off - the Dragon would go to the current Wilderness that is well away from players.

This opened up the potential for two Wildernesses with their own stories.

The 'adopt one' could have it mentioned that these are Dragons who still wish to be near humans (which is why they hang close to civilization)

the 'wild' one could have it mentioned that these Dragons do not like Humans, and that to try and capture them would be too dangerous.

To sum up my thoughts;

a regulated system of Wilderness adoptions - yes

an unregulated system - no

2) The chances of suceeding should be pretty slim - for instance, Guardians of Nature have a 19% probability of being summoned, so maybe a probability of 1% or maybe less of succeeding in adopting/capturing a dragon wouldn't hurt;

3) The limit of times you are allowed to use the action is limited - for instance, maybe 5 times each month or something. Much like BSAs;

4) If you try to capture a dragon and fail, you can no longer try to adopt that dragon again. EVER. It'd show a message saying something along the lines of "The dragon roared and memorized your scent - it'll never let you approach again.";

5) Number of captured dragons would be limited to maybe a reasonable number of 5 per scroll;

Setting ND capture rate to 1% and Mint capture rate to 75%, or limiting the use of "Capture" per user per <time period>, do not help the problem where 5000 people go for 5 NDs while only 5 people even think of touching that pile of 5000 Mints.

Limiting the total of captured dragons makes it worse, because you have to be an idiot to go for a common that you can get everywhere anytime over the ultra-rare unobtainium, unless you ran out of anything rarer than that common to try on of course, which is a real concern.

Of course, you have not addressed any of the concerns raised about the goal of the game or the "wild dragons should stay wild because we're promised they'll be that way" aspect of the release feature or even why you think this is a good idea, so it's not convincing me anyway.

Edited by CNR4806

I did have a thought that hit me while I was typing this explaining why I was against this.

Maybe instead of having anyone claim a wild dragon, why not have the original owner have the claim button? For example, if I release my only CB blusang dragon without realizing it and I want it back, I can just click on the dragon and reclaim it without having to go to TJ (Or another Mod) and asking him/her to get my dragon back; I, and only I, would be able to see this action on the dragon and nobody else. Same thing with every other dragon out there. Only the original owner of said dragon at the time of the release would see the button.

I personally don't feel like this is necessary either as that's why the password/action name protection was added in the first place. ^^ Now if release isn't protected for some reason, then that would need fixed.

EDIT: I do also not find the argument "this is what we were promised" the stringest argument against this suggestion. We also believed we'd always only ever be able to get two total of a non-ween holiday dragon. Now that has changed, also prompting users to ask for a change to how freeze works, which is something that specifically says is permanent. So things change in cave sometimes. It does happen.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

If this will ever be implemented, I would see it this way:

1) You do have the option to try to adopt a dragon;

2) The chances of suceeding should be pretty slim - for instance, Guardians of Nature have a 19% probability of being summoned, so maybe a probability of 1% or maybe less of succeeding in adopting/capturing a dragon wouldn't hurt;

3) The limit of times you are allowed to use the action is limited - for instance, maybe 5 times each month or something. Much like BSAs;

4) If you try to capture a dragon and fail, you can no longer try to adopt that dragon again. EVER. It'd show a message saying something along the lines of "The dragon roared and memorized your scent - it'll never let you approach again.";

5) Number of captured dragons would be limited to maybe a reasonable number of 5 per scroll;

6) If people succeed in actually capturing/adopting a dragon, they should be able to do whatever they please with them (maybe except killing them, since they belonged to someone else before);

7) It'd be cool if the previous owner(s) of the dragon was displayed in their page.

Well, I guess I covered all the points. With all of the stuff above, I think we can keep the wilderness page a place free of "poachers" and still with a neat diversity of dragons to show off.

I could *almost* get behind this idea, given the points here. Except 7, I see no reason why usernames should be given if someone releases a dragon. Not all of us like to parade the fact that we released dragons.

I like the idea of being able to choose if the dragon you release can be caught by others or not. Some dragons I just don't want on my scroll anymore and would be fine with other people taking, while some I don't want bred or taken by others. The probability for catching any wild dragon should be low, in my opinion, but not impossible.

I am against people being able to go for any dragon ever put in the Wildness. They were released for a reason, and I think we should respect that. But if people chose to let others catch their dragons, they could avoid turning the Wilderness into a wasteland or taking dragons that breeders didn't want anyone to have while still giving people a chance to catch adult dragons. There could also be a trophy requirement and cooldown time for the capture option, to keep people who've just started from filling their scroll with adults.

This idea might work, but definitely not as a 50/50 chance of catching any released dragon.

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.

4. No.

Some people use release as an alternative to kill; takes the dragon out of the gene pool

and off of their scroll without needing to take its life. This or any sort of ~wilderness

adoption~ suggestion would completely annihilate that, and lead to more dead dragons.

Honestly, I release my dragons knowing that they'll stay in the wilderness and not be bred. Maybe, maybe if there were a very low cap AND it has a low success rate AND you couldn't breed them I'd be okay with it. But even then, I'd prefer that any wilderness suggestion just be for flavor or as a cute thing to do (like that befriending one). They're wild and most dragons are powerful/huge; they're not going to appreciate being recaptured.

This would be cool if it were insanely limited... like, you can only try once a month and there's only a 1% chance of success - and once you succeed, that is it for the year; no more tries until the following January 1. If everyone could only possibly take one dragon from the wilderness per year at most, I think the whole "ratio" and "farming" thing would be a bit moot. I've never understood voluntary abandoning a dragon to die unless you sincerely do not want it anywhere near your scroll, so I cannot even begin to comprehend people being upset about someone possibly retrieving that dragon from its exile. Perhaps this is an error in perspective on my part. *shrug*

At any rate, I disagree that these dragons should function any differently than any other dragon once adopted. They're no different from the ones you hatch or trade for. There's no logical reason to put extraneous unnecessary restrictions on them after their initial dang-near-impossible acquisition.

For the record, I have to say that I do not see this happening, though. TJ has made it quite clear what his stance on this is, and he's not known for changing his mind. Still, bully on you for making the attempt at a reasonable compromise. It was a wonderful effort.

Some people use release as an alternative to kill; takes the dragon out of the gene pool

and off of their scroll without needing to take its life. This or any sort of ~wilderness

adoption~ suggestion would completely annihilate that, and lead to more dead dragons.

You knw the rules. Once it's off your scroll, it doesn't belong to you any more, and you have no say in what happens to it. (Just trying to say that that argument isn't exactly valid.)

I'm still not a fan of this.

I am sorry to say, but this will most likely never be added. TJ09 has stated before that he is probably not going to allow ways for users to obtain dragons from the wilderness.

I am sorry to say that that doesn't mean anything, either. Because TJ is human and thus able to change his mind, even regarding his game. (And, uh, he said so himself. xd.png) /circular reasoning

You knw the rules. Once it's off your scroll, it doesn't belong to you any more, and you have no say in what happens to it. (Just trying to say that that argument isn't exactly valid.)

I'm still not a fan of this.

this is a valid comment.

But there are people who release dragons from their scrolls when they leave since killing is limited.

I feel though that these dragons should be left to the wilderness and that they can be enjoyed by everyone viewing them. Sort of the nature reserve for dragons.

i like what someone suggested, that we get the option to breed dragons on our scroll with wild dragons.

because then, the wilderness isn't cleaned out, the dragons would still operate under the cool down so people couldn't go breeding them willy-nilly, which allows a fair chance because as far as i can tell the dragons you see are randomly picked, and honestly, if a dragon you abandoned because you didn't want to see it's lineage continued...how are you going to KNOW unless you have one of its other offspring on your scroll?

meaning if you abandon a 5 gen inbred mess and someone decides to breed with it to get an egg, how are you going to know?

No.

I can totally imagine me as a Wilderness Park Ranger who protets the dragons out there. Hey the dragons in the wilderness are now free.

No one forces a shy Mint to be the mate for a wild Brute for example.

And what dragons do you think produces the eggs in the biomes? I assume it must be the dragons in the wilderness.

And you are right i choose to release a draong because i know for sure i will never ever see this dragon again or a descendant of this dragon. Okay mayby i will see this dragon again if i take my time to look at the wilderness, but only mayby. If i know that there are greedy people who will force my dragon to breed for there fancy i will rather kill this dragon.

Yeah for me this mean i will be really slow when i clean up my scroll from dragons that ich will never ever be seen again on my scroll and no descendant on any scroll from this moment onward.

Do you really want this? To force a lot of people to kill there dragons? No, you don't? Okay then we can be friends again.

Ehh, no. Sorry. I don't support this suggestion.

Wild dragons should generally be left alone; I see a lot of potential for abuse if people are allowed to re-capture or breed them. If something like the option to "befriend" them is added… yeah, I'm alright with that. But being able to add them to your scroll sounds like it'd cause way more trouble than good. :/

What about having this option only for frozen hatchlings? Then breeding wouldn't be an issue. Also, what if newbies got to pick out one adult to start them off?

Newbies grown so fast.

Why should they be able to pick up our junk? blink.gif No i like to gift a newbie a clear lineage or a CB.

*writes something down on a cardboard* PROTECT THE WILDERNESS *ready to demonstrate*

ETA: An can you image all the cormorant/vultures that will pick up Old Pinks and Frills. alot.pngpoptartFINALTINY.gifcensorkip.gif

Edited by Tigerkralle

I'll carry a picket like that too! KEEP THE WILDERNESS WILD - No to 'capture'!

user posted image

In all seriousness, I cannot support this. "Interaction with wild dragons" even grates on me a bit.

Edited by fuzzbucket

After the first second's thought..NOPE

Then I thought about it a bit more...NOPE NOPE NOPE

Against. Completely. They're wild for a reason and should stay that way. This seems to be just another idea to try and get rare eggs or prettier lineages from a wild dragon. They aren't there to stud. Just to look at.

When I first happened across the Wilderness of DC years back, I thought the same: "Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to catch a few of those lovelies?"

Reading the first post, liking some aspects of it and skimming a few others (I also fancied the thought the dragons we get from the biomes are offspring from the dragons in the wilderness ^__^), I entertained the thought that if the wild darlings were caught, the limit could be like the holiday dragons and their offspring scroll locked/bound (like the v-day holiday glitch in color) and abandon-able only. They would never be traded, not even their offspring. Chances of catching them would be very low, not 50/50. Once captured, if re-released they would never be able to be caught again.

Just sharing my thoughts.

But my final stance would be - No. Leave the Wilderness be. Besides if the people who let them go wanted to give them to someone, they would have

Edited by priscel

I also strongly agree with this. Once the dragon is released and it leaves it's former owners scroll for whatever reason it's free and essentially subject to whatever change may happen to this biome.

That said... while I would love to see an option for some sort of interaction with Wild dragons, I cannot really support this idea. The worst case scenario (and I'm afraid also a very likely one) would be that this feature would mostly/only be used to capture rares, so I imagine after a fair period of time only blockers would remain there, the Wilderness transformed into a wasteland of unwanted breeds, of very little interest to anyone anymore.

Edited by stagazer_7

I like the idea of being able to attempt breeding with wild dragons, with perhaps the same success rate as a Rare x Rare breeding. Discontinued dragons and unbreedables would be protected, just as someone breeding their Bright Pink won't result in a Bright Pink egg. And it would give a (very) small advantage to newer players without good trade fodder or players who don't come to the forums at all.

I like the idea of being able to attempt breeding with wild dragons, with perhaps the same success rate as a Rare x Rare breeding. Discontinued dragons and unbreedables would be protected, just as someone breeding their Bright Pink won't result in a Bright Pink egg. And it would give a (very) small advantage to newer players without good trade fodder or players who don't come to the forums at all.

I have thought of this, and have interest in seeing such a suggestion developed. I'm not sure it would get very far off the ground, but I think, handled carefully, it could actually work.