Butterflyzilla

Wilderness: A "capture" option for adult dragons.

Not saying I'm for this idea. Just saying that once a dragon is off your scroll it is no longer yours to dictate what can be done with it. It's an argument that is often brought up and IMO, has some merit here. Saying that I am not really for this idea, though neither am I against it.

This isn't really true in the case of Releasing. Abandoning? Absolutely. But not Releasing.

I Release a dragon with the knowledge, the guarantee that it will never be obtainable to any user ever again. No, it is not MY dragon; I cannot "command" it the way I do my others--but the only reason it isn't my dragon is because I knew that Releasing it would prevent anyone from using its Actions page.

Releasing, like Freezing, gives you an agreement: It's permanent. I was promised, when I Released a dragon, that no one would be able to manipulate it. And I don't want that agreement to change.

This isn't really true in the case of Releasing. Abandoning? Absolutely. But not Releasing.

I Release a dragon with the knowledge, the guarantee that it will never be obtainable to any user ever again. No, it is not MY dragon; I cannot "command" it the way I do my others--but the only reason it isn't my dragon is because I knew that Releasing it would prevent anyone from using its Actions page.

Releasing, like Freezing, gives you an agreement: It's permanent. I was promised, when I Released a dragon, that no one would be able to manipulate it. And I don't want that agreement to change.

This, almost but not as much as ab613. I don't actually release (except once by accident mad.gif ) but IF I had a dragon I wanted to be certain would never spawn another child, that is what I would do. If this came in, I would kill such a dragon instead - poor thing.

If freezing were un-doable (as in one suggestion I support with limitations because of the changed limits for holidays) that would also be undoing an agreement, though. So IF this were to happen (and I very much hope it doesn't) I think ONLY the person who released the dragon should be able to call it back, using a BSA of some kind. That would mean the dragon had to stay on their scroll, as adults cannot be traded.

I Agree with all the No's I've read. This isn't the first time someone has wanted the wilderness to be grabable. It's because people want RARE . cb holidays, metals and other things. TJ has said this happening, and never will.

What I would like is to be able to retrieve dragons I released under false pretenses. Now that we can have 2 CBs and unlimited 2nd gen and higher of each Christmas and Valentine's Day dragon, I would like to have the CB Ribbon Dancer I released in order to get a frozen hatchling back :/

Otherwise, no thank you.

Edited by Wahya

What I would like is to be able to retrieve dragons I released under false pretenses. Now that we can have 2 CBs and unlimited 2nd gen and higher of each Christmas and Valentine's Day dragon, I would like to have the CB Ribbon Dancer I released in order to get a frozen hatchling back :/

Otherwise, no thank you.

That would be awesome! Though it might be hard to track who the original owner was. o3o

Certain dragons (Frills, Bright Pinks, Alts, etc) would be more coveted. What if wild dragons bred and you could steal their eggs, only they'd have a lineage and maybe all looked the same

IE:

You try to figure out what breed this egg is, but the opaque crystal isn't coming off...

Certain dragons (Frills, Bright Pinks, Alts, etc) would be more coveted. What if wild dragons bred and you could steal their eggs, only they'd have a lineage and maybe all looked the same

IE:

You try to figure out what breed this egg is, but the opaque crystal isn't coming off...

Wild dragons DO breed from time to time and the eggs show up in the AP.

Unless that changed ?

I would really enjoy the suggestion of capturing a wild dragon temporarily to breed it, I'd even suggest make it only one breeding attempt (no matter if successful or not) without the dragon ever being on your scroll - you take one of your breedable dragons, go to the wilderness with it to make it breed with a wild dragon (smaller chance of success than for regular breeding) and you can take the egg, if one is produced. That is something I would love and use - BUT, as others pointed out before, people release dragons because they don't want them to be bred and they don't want to kill them either. And the game does not make a difference between cb, nice-lineaged, messy and inbred - for the game, a dragon is a dragon, so there's no way to restrict breeding only to some wild dragons. So even though I'd love it, I don't see it happening.

But: It is a very nice idea to undo an accidental release - like someone suggested, it could work like the revive option, 2 weeks after releasing, you could have the option to recapture the dragon before it has become wild and won't live with humans anymore (chance of failure included, like for reviving). That could actually work, and I don't see much harm if it was implemented in this way.

A lot of suggestions have been shot down in the past by people argumenting "But evil siblings could do so much harm with this" - so here's an idea that can undo some of the harm done by an evil sibling wink.gif

I'd LOVE to be able to get a cb frill and bright pink, but I don't support this idea.

Mainly because, even if the "capture" action would have a long cooldown, given the number of players of DC all great dragons in the Wilderness will be gone in a couple of hours, resulting in much drama from everyone who failed their capture attempt or who were in the wrong part of the world to be awake at the right moment.

Wild dragons should stay wild, for everyone to see (and maybe als to help with encyclopedia)

Edited by Iside

Still a vehement "no" from me. I use Release as an alternative to Kill; I Release dragons only when I want them off my scroll and kept away from anyone else's. Yes, I could Kill my dragons--but I Kill frequently and would rather save the option for when I really need it rather than wasting all of my slots when I could just Release.

I Release dragons only when I don't want anyone else catching or breeding their offspring. I want to deadline them without Killing them. And I don't want any loopholes.

The problem with this argument is that we are NEVER actually promised that no one else can own that dragon... just that OUR releasing it is irreversible, like abandoning. Other people and what they might do is never addressed in the message you get when you release a dragon. I released one of my 2G sun stones today, so I know that for a fact. It was never guaranteed to be a way to keep them away from anyone else.... to MY knowledge... just a way to get them off of your scroll ( I am also wondering WHY, i you no longer want a dragon, it should be SO important that no one else can have/breed it, EVER). As far as I know, the only guaranteed way to do that, honestly, is to kill a dragon, pure and simple. I sort of agree with Annageckos on this point... once you release it, it is no longer yours.

NOT saying I am for or against this suggestion... just saying I am not sure I entirely agree with that argument against it.

My thoughts on this are that it isn't a thing I personally feel terribly strongly about, one way or the other... BUT that it seems to me to be something that TJ09 would be extremely unlikely to allow on the same grounds that trading adults isn't a thing... the game is about raising and collecting dragons and grabbing adults isn't in that spirit. I ALSO agree with those that say it would cause undue drama from those that failed to get any rare pretties, and then there were none, if this were allowed. Sad though it is that there are rare pretties in the Wilderness, I do NOT see him allowing those to be fair game. Just my two cents, for whatever they are worth.

Edited by Silverswift

The problem with this argument is that we are NEVER actually promised that no one else can own that dragon... just that OUR releasing it is irreversible, like abandoning. Other people and what they might do is never addressed in the message you get when you release a dragon. I released one of my 2G sun stones today, so I know that for a fact. It was never guaranteed to be a way to keep them away from anyone else.... to MY knowledge... just a way to get them off of your scroll ( I am also wondering WHY, i you no longer want a dragon, it should be SO important that no one else can have/breed it, EVER). As far as I know, the only guaranteed way to do that, honestly, is to kill a dragon, pure and simple.

From the Help page:

Release

Can be performed on: Frozen hatchlings, adults.

Releasing a hatchling or dragon removes it from your scroll without killing it. Dragons that have been released have no owner and cannot be picked up by another user; released dragons become "wild" and can be seen in the wilderness.

And the ONLY option (from the Actions page) that allows others to pick up a dragon (Abandon) states "Others may claim the abandoned egg/hatchling and take it as their own." - whereas Release simply says "It will still be alive, but will no longer be owned by you."

We are always warned when a dragon of ours will potentially be given to another user (Abandoning, Teleporting), but we are not warned of this during Release. Dragon Cave warnings are fairly thorough, so it is safe to assume that--if we are not warned of it--a dragon will not be available to other users.

If not, the warning is stated in the Help page.

From the Help page:

And the ONLY option (from the Actions page) that allows others to pick up a dragon (Abandon) states "Others may claim the abandoned egg/hatchling and take it as their own." - whereas Release simply says "It will still be alive, but will no longer be owned by you."

We are always warned when a dragon of ours will potentially be given to another user (Abandoning, Teleporting), but we are not warned of this during Release. Dragon Cave warnings are fairly thorough, so it is safe to assume that--if we are not warned of it--a dragon will not be available to other users.

If not, the warning is stated in the Help page.

OK. I'll give you that I wasn't thinking of that.

Haven't really read the help page in a LONG while. xd.png

That being said, the help page could easily enough be changed to reflect the new situation IF released dragons were made fair game. ALTHOUGH, given that that was never done before, those who have released dragons that, for whatever reason, they NEVER want to have another owner would be understandably upset IF they took that to mean that it would always be that way. The risk of alienating those people is a certainly a valid concern with this.

However, as I said, I also see plenty of other reasons why TJ probably wouldn't allow this.

Edited by Silverswift

This is a good idea, im looking forward to see this system released happy.gif

I think you will be waiting for ever. I certainly hope so.

This is a good idea, im looking forward to see this system released happy.gif

You are very new player. You don't understand. Tj the owner of this site has said himself that wild dragons will remain wild. And if this were to happen, guess what would happen. All the pretty and rare dragons would be taken in a second. And all that will be left in the wilderness would be inbred, messily lineages COMMONS that nobody wants.

The wilderness would become desolate and boring.

This suggestion will never happen. Deal with it.

I agree with what was said on the first page. While it would be great to catch all of those lovely Wild Dragons it would be just like the AP. The person with the fastest internet connection has top pickings and after a while the Wilderness would be combed through and all of the best rares/CB's/discontinued dragons would be gone.

At the same time I think its a little unfair that it would become possible to go after the Frills and Old Pinks that I have seen there from time to time. They've become discontinued for a reason and whoever released them into the wild did so for a reason and if someone were to swoop in and capture one it'd be unfair, especially if they released them because they thought they were common and now can't get them back.

It is a nice idea and if it's maintained the correct way to ensure that everyone gets a fair shot at a rare/CB/etc. then it would be awesome. the limit idea is good, but I'd suggest less than 5 or 6. Maybe have it set to the same limit as the GoN's? I believe the limit for those guys is three now, yes?

Another way to possibly go about catching them might be like how you would summon a GoN, but instead use three other dragons aside from Thunder, Magma and Ice. Perhaps three magical dragons (since you mentioned the ability for a magic lasso which is a neat idea) Maybe a Magi and two other magical species? What new dragon was it that drains magic? Maybe they could store the magic and build it up for that reason before they have to recharge, so to speak.

This suggestion will never happen. Deal with it.

Users are allowed to support this suggestion. If there is absolutely zero chance of TJ implementing a suggestion, he will come and close the thread. As I recall, the only preserved written word regarding this is that it will not be a BSA. Until TJ has clsed the thread, please post your own opinion on the subject instead of speaking for TJ. It is hard to judge reactions to a suggestion when people post TJ's opinion instead of their own.

My big problem— essentially the only reason I am so set against this— is that I don’t want my released dragons being bred.

Release is the same as Kill in my eyes: I use Kill to get rid of eggs or hatchlings I don’t want reproducing, and I use Release to make sure my adults never breed.

Once it is off my scroll, it is no longer my dragon; but it is only off my scroll because I knew that it would never be able to breed again. Because I Released this dragon with the knowledge that it could never be owned by another user, I think it’s fair to keep this agreement. The only reason I Released it was so that it would not be available to others, or to myself for potential misbreeding.

Remember, too, that dragons are feral creatures. I imagine trying to capture a wild Hellfire would not end well, and while it might be entirely possible to tame wild drakes, I do not think it would be easy to capture wild dragons. Many of the dragons in the wilderness have been wild for years, translating into thousands of years DC time. Those would certainly be hard to tame.

The only way I would not be opposed to this— considering practicality only; I simply don’t think Released dragons could be tamed, especially not those that grew up in the wilderness— is if dragons released after a certain date (the date of the “capture” feature’s implementation, or a few days after) were available to claim. Even then, I don’t think it’s a good idea, for reasons others have stated, but I would not be upset if it was added this way.

However, I doubt that would please many of the supporters for this. Most of the dragons others might want to claim— old holidays, Frills, Bright Pinks— would be unavailable.

I do not see this as being a good idea at all. WIld dragons are just to fill out the world to give reason/fluff/story for why there are dragons available in the cave.

Given that the comments saying "rare dragons would be picked out fast" yep, I am inclined to agree. "Faster connections will prevail" Again, I will agree.

How about something that seems to work to a degree.

I suppose a system similar in nature to the chicken smoothie pound, which displays X amount of dragons, chosen at random for say 20 seconds, may even the playing field. That would allow people to pick from a random selection and giving people a chance to pick a rare. AP system of refresh, refresh, refresh, to get a new display would not be viable. The chicken smoothie system with the wildnerness being open for a brief periods would perhaps not drain the system. It could open once or twice a day at random times.

Alternatively, an option to release (adults only) to: Wild, Adoption may give an option to keep wilderness wild and just keeping hatchies either Wild or AP.

My big problem— essentially the only reason I am so set against this— is that I don’t want my released dragons being bred.

Release is the same as Kill in my eyes: I use Kill to get rid of eggs or hatchlings I don’t want reproducing, and I use Release to make sure my adults never breed.

Once it is off my scroll, it is no longer my dragon; but it is only off my scroll because I knew that it would never be able to breed again. Because I Released this dragon with the knowledge that it could never be owned by another user, I think it’s fair to keep this agreement. The only reason I Released it was so that it would not be available to others, or to myself for potential misbreeding.

Leaving aside the "misbreeding word " (one person's misbreed is another's perfect lineage - http://dragcave.net/lineage/pcguo for instance... xd.png) I agree - if I released, I would not want someone else to adopt that dragon - if it's happy being on a scroll, it can stay on mine ! - and if this came in, I would then kill rather than release.

And there wouldn't be any rares for more than five minutes, for those who REALLY want this option so that they can grab them the "easy" way. They'd be gone in the first couple of days, and - well, there ARE no more OPs or frills or past holiday CBs for anyone to dump, really - people don't play that way any more !

The only way that I can see wilderness-capturing to work is simple:

Kill all existing wild dragons at the same time that wilderness capturing is enabled.

Effectively, it removes the "but I released my dragon to be NOT for anyone's use or ownership" factor, and turns the wilderness into a glorified adult-AP. Killing them all instead of hiding/moving them to a seperate "old wilderness" also clears up any potential confusion, and prevents more suggestions demanding access to old wilderness dragons.

This still doesn't deal with the inevitable effects of allowing adult transferral and catching adults, so even though I suggested this myself, I'm still dead against it.

Edited by CNR4806

The only way that I can see wilderness-capturing to work is simple:

Kill all existing wild dragons at the same time that wilderness capturing is enabled.

Effectively, it removes the "but I released my dragon to be NOT for anyone's use or ownership" factor, and turns the wilderness into a glorified adult-AP. Killing them all instead of hiding/moving them to a seperate "old wilderness" also clears up any potential confusion, and prevents more suggestions demanding access to old wilderness dragons.

This still doesn't deal with the inevitable effects of allowing adult transferral and catching adults, so even though I suggested this myself, I'm still dead against it.

It also doesn't deal with those sentimental types xd.png who didn't want to KILL, but did want the dragon off their scroll.

And I am against this and any other form of adult trading. I'm not even wild about the idea of inter-scroll breeding. Mine adults is MINE. I raised them with love and attention; if you want one like them - grow your own !

The only way I would not be opposed to this— considering practicality only; I simply don’t think Released dragons could be tamed, especially not those that grew up in the wilderness— is if dragons released after a certain date (the date of the “capture” feature’s implementation, or a few days after) were available to claim. Even then, I don’t think it’s a good idea, for reasons others have stated, but I would not be upset if it was added this way.

However, I doubt that would please many of the supporters for this. Most of the dragons others might want to claim— old holidays, Frills, Bright Pinks— would be unavailable.

That would be ok. It could also be a "different" wilderness where those newly released dragons could be tamed and captured, like a special valley where humans happen to come around a lot, so the dragons released there stay familiar with humans and simply don't become entirely wild.

However, while I agree that this would be an ok way to implement this suggestion, I don't really want it or need it.

If this will ever be implemented, I would see it this way:

1) You do have the option to try to adopt a dragon;

2) The chances of suceeding should be pretty slim - for instance, Guardians of Nature have a 19% probability of being summoned, so maybe a probability of 1% or maybe less of succeeding in adopting/capturing a dragon wouldn't hurt;

3) The limit of times you are allowed to use the action is limited - for instance, maybe 5 times each month or something. Much like BSAs;

4) If you try to capture a dragon and fail, you can no longer try to adopt that dragon again. EVER. It'd show a message saying something along the lines of "The dragon roared and memorized your scent - it'll never let you approach again.";

5) Number of captured dragons would be limited to maybe a reasonable number of 5 per scroll;

6) If people succeed in actually capturing/adopting a dragon, they should be able to do whatever they please with them (maybe except killing them, since they belonged to someone else before);

7) It'd be cool if the previous owner(s) of the dragon was displayed in their page.

Well, I guess I covered all the points. With all of the stuff above, I think we can keep the wilderness page a place free of "poachers" and still with a neat diversity of dragons to show off.

I did have a thought that hit me while I was typing this explaining why I was against this.

Maybe instead of having anyone claim a wild dragon, why not have the original owner have the claim button? For example, if I release my only CB blusang dragon without realizing it and I want it back, I can just click on the dragon and reclaim it without having to go to TJ (Or another Mod) and asking him/her to get my dragon back; I, and only I, would be able to see this action on the dragon and nobody else. Same thing with every other dragon out there. Only the original owner of said dragon at the time of the release would see the button.