Butterflyzilla

Wilderness: A "capture" option for adult dragons.

I'm sure most people are aware of the Wilderness area of DC by now.

Suppose when you click on an adult dragon in the Wilderness, there is a little option where "actions" would be for dragons on your scroll. All it says is "Capture."

Here's how it could work.

When someone clicks "Capture" they will have a 50/50 chance of getting the dragon. Perhaps the texts can go something like this:

Successful capture: "You whisper a spell and a lasso of energy attaches itself to the dragon's neck. Another whispered spell transfers the dragon to your scroll. Using magic leaves you drained. It will be X days before you can attempt it again."

Unsuccessful capture: "You whisper a spell and a lasso of energy attaches itself to the dragon's neck. Unfortunately, the dragon breaks free and escapes. Using magic leaves you drained. It will be X days before you can attempt it again."

Maybe the spell to capture a wild dragon is so powerful that you can only attempt it once every every 14 or up to 28 days. If the probability of success is kept small, but achievable, maybe it'll make persistent people keep trying. (Although some might end up frustrated!)

Captured wild dragons would be labeled as such, so they can't be named. That's a way to differentiate them from caveborns, trades, abandoned page catches and so forth. Even though they're captured, they're still wild-- like tigers vs cats. There can even be an option for the "show" section (the one that shows just eggs/hatchlings, Available for breeding, etc) for captured dragons to make sorting them easier.

Perhaps there can also be a set scroll limit for captured dragons like there's an egg limit. Make it five or six, and if you want to capture more, you have to release one of the dragons you previously captured. I'm going to assume people use the feature because they want to breed, so by breeding for the egg and releasing the wild dragon again, they can always keep a slot open for another capture attempt later.

I just thought this might be a fun feature to make the Wilderness section more attractive. Especially for frustrated players who want to "catch" a rare by themselves and who aren't having luck in the caves or abandoned page.

smile.gif

Here's my proposal, once a dragon/frozen hatchling is released, there should be a way to "capture" it.

Limitations:

Have to have a silver/gold trophy

If you want a discontinued dragon, it'll make a copy of it for you(if you are successful)

If you successfully capture a dragon, you can't try to capture another one for 2-4 weeks

If you don't capture the dragon, oh well, you'll not be able to attempt again on the same dragon. You'll have to find another one to catch.

Success rate, 5-15%

If you breed a successfuly caught discontinued dragon, YOU CANNOT GET THE THE Discontinued EGG WHATSOEVER!

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Thing is, people could just farm it by stalking it and adding any dragons they come across to their scroll, and just naming them. Why do people not pick up purple dorsal eggs in the AP, but will snag any hatchlings? Because the egg process is annoying for them. If you got a dragon from the wilderness, you would be bypassing practically the whole point of dragon cave. Catch an egg, raise it in a clicksite-forumsig, hatch it, raise an adult, name it, breed it, and repeat. With the wilderness, it's just like spawning dragons onto your scroll. No work put into it. I think it's just best that the wilderness stays a secret page that displays all released dragons, and that people can view them, but nothing else.

I really like this idea, but my question is, how easy will it be to create? How long will it take to implement? I have wanted this option but i think it would be hard to create. However i would like them to be named, For instance i capture a black dragon and want to name it "Shadow of the Wild."

No support, primarily because wild dragons are...wild for a reason. Even though getting someone's CB Holly/Frill/Marrow/Gold would be AMAZING, the concept doesn't sit well with me, even if there is a limit of 5-6 wild dragons, times that by 2000 (about the size of the DC community) and there a) wouldn't be any CB Rares/discontinueds left, only the "messy lineages or commons" so the wilderness would be forgotten about after the initial hype. Because that would be the primary reason people would want to be snagging things from the wilderness, once those are gone, the wilderness would be pretty lackluster.

I like the wilderness BECAUSE it has all those rares and CB's, it's like look but don't touch.

Instead of capturing, I'd prefer interacting with the dragons, like a thread I forget what is was called suggested.

I like the idea, but perhaps to keep people from stalking it to no end, have there be a limit, not be nameable, and maybe even unbreedable. Since the dragons we pick up are tame, it makes sense that they would not want anything to do with the wild ones. If they do end up breedable, make the chances of it happening really low, so that people who do it to farm eggs arent' able to do it as well. I think something like this is good for event dragons, since I've seen quite a few there. It would allow us to get them, granted with it being a slim chance.

Thing is, people could just farm it by stalking it and adding any dragons they come across to their scroll, and just naming them. Why do people not pick up purple dorsal eggs in the AP, but will snag any hatchlings? Because the egg process is annoying for them. If you got a dragon from the wilderness, you would be bypassing practically the whole point of dragon cave. Catch an egg, raise it in a clicksite-forumsig, hatch it, raise an adult, name it, breed it, and repeat. With the wilderness, it's just like spawning dragons onto your scroll. No work put into it. I think it's just best that the wilderness stays a secret page that displays all released dragons, and that people can view them, but nothing else.

She said that her idea was to have a limit so they couldn't just take them all from the wilderness. 5-6 does not sound like a very successful farm to me. Also she did say that they could have a separate category that could not be named and don't qualify as a caveborn or otherwise. The cool down wouldn't allow them to just take whatever they please. Although I do see you point.

I think this a great idea overall but I don't know with codes and all of that mumbo jumbo but I read the wiki, (Correct me if im wrong), Don't the codes get deleted or something. biggrin.gif

Nope, I don't think so. First of all, a 50/50 chance? People would go through and farm all the nice ones in a few minutes and pad their scrolls to huge numbers. That's kind of a game breaking thing. Second, a lot of the dragons that are part of the wilderness were released by others. I can see people being upset by the thought that a dragon they let go is now owned by someone else just by virtue of being the lucky clicker.

Third, TJ has always expressed opposition to any previous ideas for adopting dragons out of the wilderness or trading adults. You'd have to come up with some pretty convincing arguments why this would be good for the game to change his mind.

ETA: and the dragons in the wilderness keep their codes. That isn't an issue with this. One thing all your complicated "but they should be different from regular dragons" does is make this suggestion less likely. If you have to add a bunch of restrictions and conditions in order to get this to work it's probably not a good idea.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

I think TJ said somewhere before this is not likely to happen.

I'd support it only if the chance was lowered to a much more tiny percentage. ((and even then mostly because I wish for a frill...))

Listening to what y'all are saying. I'm not a math person by any means, so if anyone knows of better percentages than 50/50, run with it. I'm also very aware that there's a lot of coding involved. (I only know basic html @_@;; ) Therefore I do respect that it might be a ton of work.

I'm fine if this is totally rejected. I wanted to toss it out there.

Just remember that some people summon a GoN in one go while others have tried for years without success.

Maybe a dragon that has been in the wilderness for a long time will be harder to snag than one just released a week ago. (So far all the dragons I see in the Wilderness are from like 2009 or 2010.)

I did say it was a crazy idea. xd.png I just wanted to share it, I'm totally fine if nobody wants to do it.

For the GoN thing you just said, you are merely proving my point. It would be taking away goals that people would want to work on or try to achieve.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some people release things into the wilderness because they don't want those dragons around any more, but can't / won't kill them (dragon avoided the blade, don't have any kills left, dislike killing, yadda yadda). If people were able to snag dragons out of the wilderness, it'd be a tad unfair to those who released them in the first place, at least if they were breeding. If someone dumps an accidentally inbred dragon into the wilderness because they didn't want it around anymore, seeing others breeding that dragon and continuing to spread something they wanted to bury wouldn't be fun.

Haha, alright, I'll confess the likelihood of people grabbing such inbreds is low (especially with limited slots), but that leads to another issue: as others have mentioned, after the initial rush of grab ALL the Hollies / CB Holidays / Discontinueds / Shinies, the wilderness would likely become a wasteland that no one cares about any more. So good for the first rush of people, but after that, is it really worth having?

That all being said, I'm not like adamantly against it or anything, and being able to utilize the wilderness in some way would be pretty neat... I'm just not sure a means of removing dragons from it could be done in a balanced or continually useful way.

Haha, alright, I'll confess the likelihood of people grabbing such inbreds is low (especially with limited slots), but that leads to another issue: as others have mentioned, after the initial rush of grab ALL the Hollies / CB Holidays / Discontinueds / Shinies, the wilderness would likely become a wasteland that no one cares about any more. So good for the first rush of people, but after that, is it really worth having?

Oh. That's another reason I forgot about. That would be sad.

No. This is Dragon Cave, not Pokémon.

I don't want to be forced to kill my dragons. That's what I would have to do, because I don't release dragons unless I want them gone and unavailable to everyone for breeding/collecting. I am not releasing them because I don't care about them, I am releasing them because I want them essentially dead--I would kill dragons (for reasons beyond zombie fodder) more often if not for the cooldown and chance of failure.

I don't want my released dragons getting into the hands of others. :/

How about if the capture was only temporary?

The biggest reason I'd like to capture a wilderness dragon would be to breed with it. So say I capture a cb Holly, but I can only keep it for X number of breeding attempts. I'm thinking a maximum of 4 attempts.. that would be max one month of ownership.

BUT... as soon as an egg was bred, the dragon would immediately escape back to the wilderness leaving you with an egg.

That same dragon would then be back in the wild for someone else to capture temporarily, but no one could ever actually keep it.

In my opinion something like that would not be a game breaker, because it's strictly temporary and could be used over and over again by multiple players.

considering that the wilderness would probably end up empty after a while, this ability for people to catch a rare would only last a very finite amount of time. I have yet to catch a gold myself and been here since 2009. The wilderness should be left largely alone.

People release inbreds there to keep them out of the system, regardless of how common or rare they are. Also dragons taken by penalty for scroll burns I believe are also in the wild. I could be wrong though.

It could game break and I strongly doubt TJ would.

BUT... as soon as an egg was bred, the dragon would immediately escape back to the wilderness leaving you with an egg.

That same dragon would then be back in the wild for someone else to capture temporarily, but no one could ever actually keep it.

In my opinion something like that would not be a game breaker, because it's strictly temporary and could be used over and over again by multiple players.

But why would a wild dragon comply to being used as just a breeder/being pimped out by anyone and everyone?

Edited by BlightWyvern

I am absolutely against this idea. The wild dragons are not abandoned dogs. They have more in common with escaped wolves and I wouldn't mess with them.

No, I'm against this. The dragons are there for a reason and were released with the knowledge that they couldn't be reclaimed.

The ONLY way I would support this is if TJ said 'ok, from this date on, there's a chance that people could reclaim any dragons released' and it only worked for those dragons.

No. I have some dragons I released to the wild for my own personal gameplay lore reasons, and I would absolutely HATE to see them end up in someone else's scroll.

Big No. You want dragons go catch or trade for them. You have to raise them yourself just like everyone else not have them handed to you already grown up. My reasons have already been stated by others.

I appreciate the total limit you suggested - it does make me much less against this suggestion - but I'm going to go ahead and sit on the no side for the reason that there's no work (time) put into grabbing wild adults like there is with raising eggs/hatchlings or even with trading. ^^

Unrestricted reclaiming would gut the Wilderness of pretty things, maybe even entirely.

Restricted reclaiming would almost certainly be more trouble than it's worth and would leave a number of people for and against the overall idea dissatisfied.

Let's leave the Wilderness as it is.

I figured there would be dissension and I'm fine with it. I'm happy this brought up some discussion as there are things mentioned that I hadn't thought about.

This is awesome. I've been playing DC since around 2009, but only recently joined the forum after a hiatus from the game.

This was a crazy idea I wanted to throw out there. I kind of figured it would get shot down, but it was worth sharing anyway. Maybe it'll make a fun story idea if you do fanfics for your dragons. smile.gif