Sany

Breed count suggestion

I definitely want this.

I don't care how or where it's implemented or what it looks like, I just want to know.

I'm in favor of any and all breed count suggestions.

/support

Nothing new to add, I think this would be an improvement even if it was just the wording. Seeing owned 0 = sadness.

Since I like to keep my dragons in order of arrival, I'd love to be able to find out how many of each sprite I have.

I didn't, however, expect that the Encyclopedia would show that I own however many dragons of each sprite, because that's not what an Encyclopedia would be expected to do; also, I read a brief explanation before viewing it.

The first time I went in, no dragons were visible, but after only a few days of a little regular fansite Clicking, nine sprites show already, just skimming down the page.

That said, any tool that could tell us how many of each sprite exists on our scrolls would be great.

I believe I counted 144 sprites/shadows on the Encyclopedia page posted in News, so this would probably be rather complex, considering the number of players and our rapidly enlarging scrolls.

I don't know if this might cause lag or anything, so, yeah, I could continue to live without it.

It's just curiosity, really.

But I really would like to know.

Edit: so far today, 10 dragons are showing. smile.gif

Edited by Syphoneira

Not sure about the lag, indeed. that's something only TJ can say, I think..

That is, if TJ ever checks this thread...thats your cue, TJ.

I seem to recall reading something to the effect of the system only being able to show how many dragons of each type have ever crossed our scroll, not how many we have on it at any particular moment?

And this would be constantly changing, on thousands of scrolls, many quite large.

If this is the case, something would have to be written that did individual scroll counts, recognising each breed currently at each stage on each scroll, and, being a computer illiterate, I have no idea how complex this would be, or how much stress this would place on the site...

There are a LOT of us, lol.

I certainly would love it, but not if it crashes the site/creates lagging, or takes up too much of TJ's time...

Yeah, I totally get that, I don't want it if it makes the site crash.

Plus I doubt he'll have time left this year with Christmas and then the raffles.

And again I wonder where the heck TJ is with actually mentioning if it's doable or not. I've seen him reply in basically every encyclopedia thread except for this one..

I seem to recall reading something to the effect of the system only being able to show how many dragons of each type have ever crossed our scroll, not how many we have on it at any particular moment?

And this would be constantly changing, on thousands of scrolls, many quite large.

If this is the case, something would have to be written that did individual scroll counts, recognising each breed currently at each stage on each scroll, and, being a computer illiterate, I have no idea how complex this would be, or how much stress this would place on the site...

There are a LOT of us, lol.

I certainly would love it, but not if it crashes the site/creates lagging, or takes up too much of TJ's time...

It shouldn't be any more strain on the server than the filter by BSA option for scrolls is. That filters our scroll by a list of breeds. As a rule of thumb, where you can filter, you can also easily count.

Regarding the suggestion, I'd love this!

I'd also love to be able to view all dragons of a particular species on my scroll, either as a list of links at the bottom of the encyclopaedia page, or by clicking a link on the encyclopaedia page. smile.gif I think that could be a sweet addition.

I believe it was the other way around... the encyclopedia needs a new, seperate counter, because it is supposed to count how many dragons have ever crossed our scroll. That's why it's impossible to count stuff from before the encyclopedia, because the system didn't count back then how many of each breed you obtained and released, killed, abandoned, traded off or whatever, so those numbers don't exist for the pre-encyclopedia time. Counting what currently is on a scroll should not be a problem, technically.

Sany, I understood what you were proposing. I agree. It's not "Wah! I don't like the encyclopedia because it doens't do what I want!" but "could we add this because a lot of people would enjoy it?" It's really about adding something separate from the intent of the encyclopedia.

My comment about people's issue was mainly directed toward those upset about the fact that the encyclopedia doesn't count the dragons you've already raised.

Ayelldee, when the beta first went live for me I went on a mad clicking spree and unlocked a few of my favorites. After that I just played the game as usual and have most of the breeds unlocked. Using the encyclopedia is not a requirement for playing as you've always played, it's a bonus. If you aren't interested in it, just ignore it. Clicking adults unlocks them, but you click adults during the course of regular play anyway, checking lineages, admiring others' cool dragons and so forth. Those do count toward unlocking breeds. And of course, every new adult you raise will count toward that breed's total.

For example, I unlocked coppers mainly by clicking my own dragons. I just clicked enough to get the images to show, because I wanted to test that they worked right, and because copper and then went back to regular play. Now it shows that I have observed 447 adult coppers. I didn't do that by going out and hunting them up but by playing with my dragons.

ALL the yes to this idea.

Again, this isn't a complaint about what we already have exactly just... something people would like.

I am not even saying that they need to get rid of the count as it is ( In th other thread they pointed out some cool things about the count we have, too). But something in addition, rather than in replacement of.

Once again, 110% Support for this idea.

It shouldn't be any more strain on the server than the filter by BSA option for scrolls is. That filters our scroll by a list of breeds. As a rule of thumb, where you can filter, you can also easily count.

Regarding the suggestion, I'd love this!

I'd also love to be able to view all dragons of a particular species on my scroll, either as a list of links at the bottom of the encyclopaedia page, or by clicking a link on the encyclopaedia page. smile.gif I think that could be a sweet addition.

In that case, please, TJ, we'd LOVE this!

I would be fine with this, although from TJ's post in the other thread, I'm confused if this would be possible. o_O

I think he meant that, it's hard to work out which eggs you owned and then abandoned, which hatchies you got and then gifted etc. I don't think there would be much of a problem with something that just says how many you have now. As far as I understood the issue was with everything you've ever had.

So, this shouldn't exactly be that hard to code. (not that I've ever tried coding, I have no idea how it works. But I think current totals are way easier to work out than what you did in the past)

I think current totals are way easier to work out than what you did in the past

You would THINK so but I suppose you never know. wink.gif I am all for it if he decides to give us this, though.

I fully support and love this idea!

I was also thinking that if we go to the trouble of having a stats page, we could do even more than just adults and frozen hatchlings. We could be broken down into # of males/females, # of alts, # of different ages/stages, and even # of cave born or something like that.

Sometimes it's useful to know whether you have far more CB Blue nebulas than you have CB purple nebulas.

user posted image

I made this mock-up of a possible solution. I think it would satisfy both "sides" of the issue. People who want to fill the encyclopaedia

themselves can do so, and people who want their already-existing dragons counted can have it as such.

Want this! Oh yes!

I'm completely OK with knowing that I'll only get dragons in my book based on how many I've seen since I've opened by book, but I'd also love for my book to show how many I own now.

+ Support this as well, basically for all the reasons people have been stating so far. While I don't have diagnosable OCD, I'm still a neat freak, and it really bothers me having incorrect stats displayed there, even if apparently that's not what the Encyclopedia was for as TJ has said previously (better wording should have been chosen then on the Encycl. pages design then!). Neat-freaks aside, as an old member of this site it just feels like a total betrayal having collected so many dragons only for the site to not even recognise I own 1 of a species I actually own 10+ of.

(Also, as a student of psychology I just feel like I should point out to people who keep posting about having OCD- if you haven't actually been diagnosed by a professional with said disorder, please don't throw the word around as people who do have said illness(es) can feel offended or be upset by the comments other people make. Just a heads up smile.gif)

Edit: Someone also really raised a good point on the Enc. release thread, that even hatchlings you've had an abandoned, or adults you've had and released, were still all owned by you at some point. Total "Dragons Owned/Raised" covers this, so stuff you've killed, released or abandoned shouldn't really be an issue.

Edited by bluesonic1

Thanks for the input everyone! biggrin.gif

Bumping this so TJ hopefully eventually gets to see this. smile.gif

Support!

I am so unhappy with the encyclopedia right now it's not even funny. I really want my darn dragons that I have spent *cough* YEARS *cough* raising to be on it and counted.

I don't mind the encyclopaedia, just the dragons owned is so badly phrased and just plain annoying indeed.

Bumping so TJ might ever see this.

I do have a spreadsheet but I can see the appeal of having a SEPARATE place with our own personal stats. I don't think our existing dragons should count towards the encyclopaedia unlocking though. You CAN view them when logged out and as far as I know they do THEN count as viewed - but not as raised. This is something NEW, and as such, we ALL start on a level playing field..