Sany

Breed count suggestion

So loads of people are complaining about how the new feature doesn't count old dragons.

What about adding a line to the encyclopedia like "Total breed count" or something similar, which isn't used for unlocking?

Or alternatively a new page containing a 'mini scroll' that contains all counts for the breeds?

That way people can still see how many dragons they have in total.

Complete support. The "Total breed count" could just be added and the "Adults raised" section changed to "Adults raised since 10-22-14" or "Adults raised since Encyclopedia introduced".

This would make the stats accurate and useful for more than just the Encyclopedia, and help people feel like the dragons they've raised prior to today are still being 'counted' even if it won't help unlock entries until they go click them again.

For the most part, I'm pretty happy with this new game, but I REALLY want the stats to be accurate!

I support this. As it is now, it feels more like starting completely over than adding on. It's pretty off-putting but I'm not complaining, it's just my OCD that's having issues. D: I really appreciate all the work that TJ and others put into these updates.

Support for all the reasons mentioned. I really don't mind doing the clicking/observing/raising to unlock stuff, I just really would like an accurate number of how many I have of the various breeds.

+1 support for this.

As someone else with OCD issues, I feel Xanadu's pain, and it's very off-putting.

It would be really neat if there was an option to either start over afresh, for those

who want to, or have our existing numbers counted instead.

Isn't this thread a duplicate of this one:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=164305 ?

It's similar, but it has a different suggestion included and (and I think this is VERY important) the tone is completely different. I'll be disappointed if I see this one merged with the other, especially since the OP has declared that she's left DC now and asked that that thread be closed.

Edited by LibbyLishly

Like this suggestion smile.gif

I think it would be really cool if the encyclopedia also had statistics for the current state of our scrolls, but it shouldn't be counted for unlocking information. So the suggestion to add another line is perfect in my opinion smile.gif

I'd prefer that if the count was added, it not auto-complete the encyclopedia. Maybe only breeds that are fully unlocked could show scroll totals?

I think it is a brilliant idea. I'm perfectly happy with having to work through the Enciclopedia. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way because it's actually fun to hunt down dragon species to observe (like an scientist doing field research).

However, I'd love if there was a way that wouldn't affect the way we gather information, and yet would let us see how many of this or that dragon specie we own. This solution is very interesting.

user posted image

I made this mock-up of a possible solution. I think it would satisfy both "sides" of the issue. People who want to fill the encyclopaedia

themselves can do so, and people who want their already-existing dragons counted can have it as such.

user posted image

This would be perfect.

TJ, I know the Encyclopedia was never meant to show what you already have, but essentially be a minigame in and of itself, but due to the massive amount of requests for it to show owned breed totals, this would be amazing to see on my Encyclopedia pages. wub.gif

I completely want this. Especially since the API doesn't have breed info, so as far as I understand it this is the only way we'd be able to see stats like this.

user posted image

I made this mock-up of a possible solution. I think it would satisfy both "sides" of the issue. People who want to fill the encyclopaedia

themselves can do so, and people who want their already-existing dragons counted can have it as such.

That looks perfect!

DragonLady86, like I stated in the first post, it's just there to let you know how many you have of a breed, and by no way helps you with the encyclopeadia. That's what that other thread was talking about, but I wouldn't like that as a solution.

I hope it's possible, I'm a bit confused about TJ's post in the other thread whether it would be possible to do or not. sad.gif

For people not having read it, this is what TJ said in that other thread:

That is, the statistics on the encyclopedia were never intended to be an accurate count of how many of a dragon you currently have, but everything you've ever had. There's no easy way to go back and time and figure that out.
Edited by Sany

I think part of people's issue is they were expecting the encyclopedia to be something it was never intended to be, and that is a reflection of your current scroll stats. It's not about "discounting" all the dragon raising you've already done. Those are still your dragons, they still count toward whatever goals or trophies you've earned. What it is instead is additional information about the breeds in a discovery setting. We've had people asking for years to know more about the breeds. This is a fun way to do that. It adds canon information about our dragons and the world they live on. It's as if you're a dragon tender on the world and you've acquired this new notebook to record deeper facts about the dragons that live on the world. You hadn't taken these notes before while raising your dragons. You didn't have the notebook. Now you need to go out and look at your own dragons or the dragons others have and look more deeply into the breed.

I do like omgitskari's idea of adding a separate stat list that just counts how many adult and frozen hatchlings of a breed you own and lists that. It would have nothing to do with unlocking information. It could be on a separate page, though adding it to the encyclopedia page seems like a natural place for it.

I think part of people's issue is they were expecting the encyclopedia to be something it was never intended to be, and that is a reflection of your current scroll stats. It's not about "discounting" all the dragon raising you've already done. Those are still your dragons, they still count toward whatever goals or trophies you've earned. What it is instead is additional information about the breeds in a discovery setting. We've had people asking for years to know more about the breeds. This is a fun way to do that. It adds canon information about our dragons and the world they live on. It's as if you're a dragon tender on the world and you've acquired this new notebook to record deeper facts about the dragons that live on the world. You hadn't taken these notes before while raising your dragons. You didn't have the notebook. Now you need to go out and look at your own dragons or the dragons others have and look more deeply into the breed.

I do like omgitskari's idea of adding a separate stat list that just counts how many adult and frozen hatchlings of a breed you own and lists that. It would have nothing to do with unlocking information. It could be on a separate page, though adding it to the encyclopedia page seems like a natural place for it.

I never intended with this suggestion that it would unlock all the info already. unsure.gif

I meant it just like you said, as an additional breed count thing, that's why this thread has as subtitle "independent of the encyclopeadia count".

I figured it would look good on the encyclopeadia page, though I hope it's possible to do since I'm now unsure of it after TJ's comment...

(I don't have anything against the whole unlocking btw, I actually adore it, but I figured this would make the upset members a bit more satisfied as well.)

Let me get this straight - we have to click - I think the number is 15 (!) different adults to get its image to appear in the Encyc. How many breeds of dragon are there on DC? And we have to click each breed 15 times? What about things like Nebs with the four colors? That means another four 15's. And we have to click ADULTS. What sense does that make? The adults don't need clicks any more.

Let me get this straight - we have to click - I think the number is 15 (!) different adults to get its image to appear in the Encyc. How many breeds of dragon are there on DC? And we have to click each breed 15 times? What about things like Nebs with the four colors? That means another four 15's. And we have to click ADULTS. What sense does that make? The adults don't need clicks any more.

I don't see how this has anything to do with my suggestion.

Also, you have plenty of time to fill everything in. Just by playing the game it's easy to unlock a lot already by adopting and hatching dragons. Hell, you can get almost all egg sprites filled in just by grabbing & abandoning AP eggs.

People should really see the "clicks" as "times you have observed this dragon". Imagine you're in the field and come across a dragon while holding your Encyclopeadia logbook - you write down what you find. The adult you already had has never been observed with your notebook at hand.

But please, post this stuff somewhere else and not in a suggestion thread to add the total breed count. :/

100% Support.

Or maybe someone on click sites could make a breed count stat tool. They already have total dragon tools, so...maybe that's possible.

Sany, I understood what you were proposing. I agree. It's not "Wah! I don't like the encyclopedia because it doens't do what I want!" but "could we add this because a lot of people would enjoy it?" It's really about adding something separate from the intent of the encyclopedia.

My comment about people's issue was mainly directed toward those upset about the fact that the encyclopedia doesn't count the dragons you've already raised.

Ayelldee, when the beta first went live for me I went on a mad clicking spree and unlocked a few of my favorites. After that I just played the game as usual and have most of the breeds unlocked. Using the encyclopedia is not a requirement for playing as you've always played, it's a bonus. If you aren't interested in it, just ignore it. Clicking adults unlocks them, but you click adults during the course of regular play anyway, checking lineages, admiring others' cool dragons and so forth. Those do count toward unlocking breeds. And of course, every new adult you raise will count toward that breed's total.

For example, I unlocked coppers mainly by clicking my own dragons. I just clicked enough to get the images to show, because I wanted to test that they worked right, and because copper and then went back to regular play. Now it shows that I have observed 447 adult coppers. I didn't do that by going out and hunting them up but by playing with my dragons.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Support. Really really support.

Nuf Said.

C4.

I support this. As someone with 2750 water dragons, my encyclopedia nevertheless says I have 5. blink.gif

user posted image

oh i love this idea o:

I've been clicking friends complete scrolls trying to unlock things xd.png