Melisande

Encyclopedia Suggestion - Count our Dragons!

I´ll repeat my request from the news thread:

Let our dragon count in 5-6 month, so everyone who wants to explore, has it not shoved into their face and anyone, who has not the time to click and click or raise and raise, can get the dragons they already have registered. So everyone has "a clean slate" for a reasonable amount of time, no spoiler.

I will not really bother with the encyclopedia and hope our dragons will be registered at one point, otherwise I will ignore it...

I´ll repeat my request from the news thread:

Let our dragon count in 5-6 month, so everyone who wants to explore, has it not shoved into their face and anyone, who has not the time to click and click or raise and raise, can get the dragons they already have registered. So everyone has "a clean slate" for a reasonable amount of time, no spoiler.

I will not really bother with the encyclopedia and hope our dragons will be registered at one point, otherwise I will ignore it...

This. It was a feature I was looking forward to but with how it was actually implemented...I just don't like it. It doesn't count the dragons I've already raised and I don't want to raise dragons I don't want any more of. I clicked on all of my own dragons, plus a couple of other people's for the Bright Pinks and Frills and don't want to waste any more of my time clicking on other people's dragons just to get every sprite from egg to adult for all of them.

I just don't understand why it was implemented this way. If we already have the adults, we already know what they look like...why do we have to raise/view more than one to have the sprites shown? The details I can understand, because to know how an animal behaves, you need to have studied a lot more than one, but for the sprites too?

If it has to be this way, please put the date of the Encyclopedia's introduction on it so it is known that the dragons counted as raised are from the 22nd on.

For those saying 'just go click others' scrolls to observe and unlock things,' I'll say that it won't work for one of the dragons.

You'd need to observe-click 200 Neglected hatchlings to unlock their page (that's the stage I'm at right now - raise 40 of the buggers or observe-click 200).

There are not 200 hatchlings across all of DC. At least not that I've found. And yes, I've visited every scroll that's appeared in every forum that I've been on that's linked to experimentation. And likely it will take forever (if it's even possible) to observe that many hatchlings. So get raisin', people! You're going to need to raise at least 40. smile.gif

So for my hatchlings and adults not to count as mine make the Neglecteds slightly problematic.

I understand the coding issues and the non-existent means of getting /every/ dragon raised to count (because goodness knows how many I've thrown into the AP or the Wilderness over the eons), but I do wish our adults and hatchlings currently on our scroll would count for something other than observation. It's kind of a pain when it comes to species with those enormous unlocking requirements.

(before we rectify that, though, I would suggest that they get rid of the egg-shadows or just give them when the hatchling and adult sprites are earned for the Bright Pink and the Frill, seeing as how those eggs don't exist anymore)

Edited by Wends

I agree with the OP, I was looking forward to the Encyclopedia mostly because it would tell me how many dragons of each breed I owned. I'm extremely disappointed that it doesn't.

This. And i only collect the amount of dragons i actually want and when im done, im done. If i have any extras, i dump them in the 'weird rainbow' ive got going on with my scroll, and i ignore them forever [besides mints]. Even if it was just like;

Adults Post-Live: 0

Adults Pre-Live: 28

And so on. Then id be totally fine with all this... thing going on where nothing pre-live counts towards the encyclopedia.

Also that clicking dragons pre-live doesn't count. Just why. Ok wait what, i clicked a lot of my own dragons and it didnt work, but now it suddenly is? Well whatever im a bit happier now, carry on.

Edited by Whitefire

For those saying 'just go click others' scrolls to observe and unlock things,' I'll say that it won't work for one of the dragons.

You'd need to observe-click 200 Neglected hatchlings to unlock their page (that's the stage I'm at right now - raise 40 of the buggers or observe-click 200).

There are not 200 hatchlings across all of DC. At least not that I've found. And yes, I've visited every scroll that's appeared in every forum that I've been on that's linked to experimentation. And likely it will take forever (if it's even possible) to observe that many hatchlings. So get raisin', people! You're going to need to raise at least 40. smile.gif

It does sound much, but I think it was never meant to be a goal that you can reach within a couple of days by clicking existing hatchies (though I do believe that there are 200 frozen ND hatchies in DC).

I would love the encyclopedia to give us stats of the dragons on our scrolls (or I'd love any other tool that tells me how many of each breed I have), but I'd hate if everything was instant-unlocked just because I already have raised a couple of dragons in the past!

I really enjoy the unlocking process and having another long-term goal in DC to work for.

It does sound much, but I think it was never meant to be a goal that you can reach within a couple of days by clicking existing hatchies (though I do believe that there are 200 frozen ND hatchies in DC).

I would love the encyclopedia to give us stats of the dragons on our scrolls (or I'd love any other tool that tells me how many of each breed I have), but I'd hate if everything was instant-unlocked just because I already have raised a couple of dragons in the past!

I really enjoy the unlocking process and having another long-term goal in DC to work for.

This reflects my opinion precisely and is why I prefer the other breed counting suggestion to this one.

i know i've voiced my opinion in the news thread, but i want to pitch it in here too...

i'm on the side of PO'd at the encyclopedia. I was extremely excited for this feature, and then to find out my ~90 hellfires mean NOTHING (not to mention my ~1000 dragons and 4+ years here) to this... It's a slap in the face for being loyal.

If i've raised 90 plus dragons of one breed, I'm fairly certain I know what their egg, hatchling, and adult looks like... Just. Come on.

I get the information not being unlocked. I'm fine with that.

What I'm NOT fine with is that my loyalty has accounted for nothing.

That apparently I have an empty scroll and that apparently I somehow have to go click bajillions of dragons with a home internet that will literally not allow me on the site most days due to bandwidth use and being image heavy. (only reason I'm active lately? I'm at college. When I go home though? Lets just say there's a reason I miss every single summer release and still have yet to get the blusangs I missed.)

Those of you preaching "IT'Z ONLY A FWE CLIKZ"

It isn't the case for everyone. For me it would take weeks to even unlock a single species because I have to sit there and wait 3-5 minutes or more for a single page to load. I only have, when lucky, an hour or two of internet time at home before I have to go and deal with real life. Do I really want to sit there in 5 minute intervals to go to a dragon's page, click back, scroll, click another dragon, click back, click another dragon, etc...

...So. To sum it up. I'm throwing in a "let our dragons count for SOMETHING" vote to the pile.

I agree, even if our scroll totals don't count toward unlocking anything, it should have counted our owned dragons.

Honestly, I thought it would be part of the encyclopedia, and it was the only part I was looking forward to.

I use a phone for all my DC stuff and it is equally hard to do this. I have to refresh pages and restart my phone a lot because I use so much of my phone's processor. I wish I had a computer to do this on.

(before we rectify that, though, I would suggest that they get rid of the egg-shadows or just give them when the hatchling and adult sprites are earned for the Bright Pink and the Frill, seeing as how those eggs don't exist anymore)

Yeah, this upsets me.

I really don't care about unlocking information, like OP, but I totally agree that it should count our dragons the right way. It'll be even worse in a few months when more dragons will be released and some numbers will be accurate but many won't

That is, the statistics on the encyclopedia were never intended to be an accurate count of how many of a dragon you currently have, but everything you've ever had. There's no easy way to go back and time and figure that out.

Considering TJ's post, would really be necessary to have the count of dragons owned in the encyclopedia? Wouldn't be enough to have that information somewhere else?

Considering TJ's post, would really be necessary to have the count of dragons owned in the encyclopedia? Wouldn't be enough to have that information somewhere else?

Personally I'd be thrilled with it being added to the API so that we could use fansite tools to get stats on our breeds, *as long as* something like this

If it has to be this way, please put the date of the Encyclopedia's introduction on it so it is known that the dragons counted as raised are from the 22nd on.
were implemented. Just something that says that the breed count is not for all time. There's a natural assumption upon seeing the encyclopedia for the first time that the breed count is for all time since it doesn't say otherwise. Saying something about it would not only help avoid confusion but also just would seem more fitting, I think.

I was annoyed that my hoard of Blacks and Nocturnes didn't count for anything, but then I got over it.

Yeah, I'd like a "currently on scroll" count as well as "total raised since Oct 22nd 2014", but that aside I'm fine with how things are. Yeah, some of the goals are high (I've still got 100+ ND hatchies to find) but this is something to work towards. If I could unlock everything in an hour just because I've been here for five years and have nearly 2000(?) dragons then it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying to see the "You have unlocked all the observations for this breed" notice below all the data.

While I don't mind that it started with a blank slate necessarily, I wish that, if I click on a dragon or hatchie on my scroll, it would acknowledge that this is a dragon that I own and add it to the encyclopedia accordingly (i.e., as a raised dragon/hatchie, not an observed dragon/hatchie).  That surely cannot be a difficult thing to implement and might have done something to ease the frustration of people seeing all those zeros for breeds they've raised lots of.  (Yes, going and clicking on everything on your scroll all over again would be annoying too, but I think it would be a lesser annoyance if the proper credit were given.)

Cross-posting from the News thread.

As I said in the news thread, I currently have 6 Halloween eggs. When they grow up, I will own more of this year's Halloween breed than EVERY OTHER DRAGON ON MY SCROLL.

I can see egg counts being impossible since hatchlings can be traded (barring exceptions like Zombies), but having an adult dragon on a scroll means that that user owns an adult and owned a hatchling. If needed, you could just remove the eggs owned category, since it's impossible to keep something an egg forever, it's probably impossible to fill out correctly, and if the encyclopedia is meant to boost clicking eggs are where clicks matter the most anyway.

The picture unlocks would also be hard, since if a given dragon was obtained in stage 2 then obviously no progress would be made toward the stage 1 picture. However, this is a good thing. Fluff it as the invention of the camera or something, and then even people with huge scrolls will have a goal to strive for, even if they chose to count their dragons.

As everyone has already stated, if you don't wish to raise dragons, just click some. basically everyone is clicking right now. It's really not too hard to click some dragons, I mean, isn't DC all about clicking anyway?

Yes, I can.

But it is also infinitely less frustrating to have the site count my 1900 dragons that are sitting perfectly on my scroll, instead of requiring me to Snaplink 40000 dragons from 50 scrolls for the same effect. (And let's not even start on raising 1900 dragons all over again)

Edited by CNR4806

I agree with the OP, I was looking forward to the Encyclopedia mostly because it would tell me how many dragons of each breed I owned. I'm extremely disappointed that it doesn't.

^ This.

Seriously dislike the encyclopedia because it doesn't count what I have already raised or have.

^ This.

Seriously dislike the encyclopedia because it doesn't count what I have already raised or have.

Second this, and the OP's opinion on the Encyclopedia matter.

I would have preferred if only growing things would have been required in order to unlock spriters and informations on our encyclopedias. This would have made more sense since hatchie, eggs and hatchlings NEEDS to be clicked by other users.... Retired breeds would have been exceptions.

These are just my thoughts. If I could suggest something to the encyclopedia are the SNOWANGEL. We can unlock only the white-gold version, but I would prefer to have all of them or the one that was chosen for my scroll (full gold in my case), at least.

Edited by Naruhina_94

I would have preferred if only growing things would have been required in order to unlock spriters and informations on our encyclopedias. This would have made more sense since hatchie, eggs and hatchlings NEEDS to be clicked by other users.... Retired breeds would have been exceptions.

These are just my thoughts. If I could suggest something to the encyclopedia are the SNOWANGEL. We can unlock only the white-gold version, but I would prefer to have all of them or the one that was chosen for my scroll (full gold in my case), at least.

I think you can unlock all of them--my encyclopedia entry is showing three grayed out adult silhouettes?

ETA: I've now unlocked tricolor and white wing (I own tricolor), so you definitely can.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I think you can unlock all of them--my encyclopedia entry is showing three grayed out adult silhouettes?

mhh.. maybe the page wasn't totally loaded. Anyway I still see only two of them. Ignore it if it was an issue only for me xd.png

I love the encyclopedia, but one purpose of it is defeated by the fact it does not count the dragons I currently have. As at least two other before have stated, if I click on a dragon that is on my scroll, I have clearly at least raised a hatchling to an adult on my scroll, therefor Hatchlings and Adults owned should be counted and their images unlocked.

And about how many "owned" it takes to unlock the picture of any of them, should be two, not three, not four, just two. I don't care how many need to count for observations, but there are folks who have no desire to have more then two of each on their scroll (I am not the particular, but some folks are)

Please count the dragons we have by registering our own observations of dragons on our scrolls to count for both Hatchlings and Adults owned for every two of that breed we click on our scrolls.

thank you.

It's an encyclopaedia. For everyone to look at. You wouldn't expect to find a list of the books you own in an on the shelf encyclopaedia. That isn't the purpose of an encyclopaedia. I'd love to have breed counts etc listed somewhere - but separately.

And how would a count work anyway, for pages that are yet to be unlocked and so on ?

I've finished my encyclopedia except for the egg sprites for out of season holidays and neglected dragons. I would love it if the encyclopedia reflected how many of each breed I actually have. Even if only the adult count was correct, I would be happy. Conceptually, it doesn't make sense for this count to be wrong, and it didn't make sense for me to have to click/"observe" hundreds of dragons to unlock the observations I would have made over the six years I've been playing this game. I didn't mind having something to do, but it's... kind of unrealistic to say that somebody has been raising dragons - and keeping notes about them on a scroll, including little blurbs about each type - for years, and has to start from a clean slate on everything when they decide to compile a reference book for themselves.