whitebaron

Add the new features to the API

With the launch of the encyclopedia, please add the fields "breed" and "biome" to the api.

They are useful fields to have, and have fun statistics bound to them.

Yes please! I've seen multiple suggestions around the forums for things where this would be useful.

(Or maybe an explanation as to why they'd need to stay out? (I might be missing something (like maybe it's really hard to put that in the api - I have no idea about the technical details!) but the lack of breed info has always confused me a little, and now that biome is more important I don't know why that would need to be left out either.))

What's your use case for "fun statistics?" because just showing the number of each breed of an egg has caused problems in the past where people see numbers that don't really represent the whole, and go "X hatchery has like no gold eggs right now, they're way too rare."

I don't know about fun but some useful examples were posted in the cave feedback thread which you probably know about, but a specific example I remember seeing around the fansite subforum, I forget which thread, was someone mentioning that they'd love to be able to go to that fansite and be able to check how many of each trio they had (so they'd know which one to focus on getting more so they could try to get a full/complete set before collecting more of a dragon they had more of).

tired so words not working oof sorry

edit: also I don't really know what use case means so I might be just full of words that in addition to not working are not relevant. My apologies if that's the case.

But yeah, I never even thought of how people being able to tell how many of a certain egg was in a certain hatchery could lead to people making incorrect judgements re: rarity - I can definitely see how that might be problematic!

Edited by diaveborn

I wish that it automatically added dragons you have previously raised. I don't wanna get a new Carmine Wyvern or Sunstone even though they're common.

I wish that it automatically added dragons you have previously raised. I don't wanna get a new Carmine Wyvern or Sunstone even though they're common.

You can just click them from scrolls/fansites instead of raising them. I'm not sure what that has to do with this suggestion, though?

Hi TJ,

this is what I would want to do with those tidbits of Information on a fanpage:

Old Wishes:

Breed Statistics

I want to be able to make lists like: user X has 217 red dragons, 52 of them CB, 117 purebred, 12 green dragons, 12 of them CB.

Lineage Searching

I want to have a feature, where you can select breed types and search your dragons (or those of others who registered them for the program) for combinations of those.

Easier Wishlists

I want it to be possible, to enter a dragon of mine into a wishlist check, to find people easier who actually want that lineage (for gifting)

Lineage Builder

It would be nice, to have breed info on already existing dragons, to limit choice for their offspring.

What could be done with biome, additionally:

More game/collector threads. Like "collect the most Dragons out of a biome in the month of july!" It would really also help the DC Records a lot, if we had a way to checl the amount of Dragons with various criteria. One of the MOST IMPORTANT criteria there is, is the Dragons breed.

---

If you have doubts about hatchery statistics, it would be a likely change to suppress the breed info on growing things. That way, no hatchery can abuse or divulge that Information in any way. I find it silly to use such stats as leverage against DC, but i know how humanity works, so if it was a problem in a past, I think it would be best to address it that way.

Edited by whitebaron

If the 'breed' information is added into API, will tools like EATW one be able to count total number of certain breed dragons on one scroll?

If the 'breed' information is added into API, will tools like EATW one be able to count total number of certain breed dragons on one scroll?

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to be available to fansite programmers, yes.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to be available to fansite programmers, yes.

Then I can't find the reason not to support it <3

If you have doubts about hatchery statistics, it would be a likely change to suppress the breed info on growing things. That way, no hatchery can abuse or divulge that Information in any way.

Such a good idea! I can see some people maybe wanting info about the breeds they're currently raising (eggs or hatchlings) but with the limited number of growing things we have, that's really easy to be able to look at our scroll and see without a fansite tool.

I would like this a lot, too. I'm kind of losing track of my lineages and would love a search tool where I'd enter "Waterhorse" and a parental breed, e.g. "Nhiostrife", and then it would tell me my Waterhorses with Nhiostrife parent, making it easier for me to find that one Waterhorse that I have bred/acquired specifically as a mate for a certain Nhiostrife.

Basically, the tool wouldn't have to display all my dragons like my scroll would do, instead, it would display maybe only a handful of dragons depending on the size of my lineage - and it would only do an API request or two for that (1st for my dragons, 2nd for parents of the selected breed's dragons).

So, that's one thing I would hope fansite programmers could do with these additional informations on the API implemented.

It would be nice to be able to view who has the most dragons of each breed. I'm just competetive and want to own the most Pyralsprites EVER. biggrin.gif

I use the custom sort to help me keep track of mates. I have a scroll divider set of reds (I still would like real scroll dividers!) I use for the following groups:

• CBs and purebreds (Purebreds come after the CBs by generation, and I do male then female of proven pairs of both CBs and purebreds)
  • 2nd gens with mates (first the male mate then the female mate)
  • 3rd gens with mates
  • 4th+ gen with mates (I don't have too many of them but may eventually split that more, too)
  • 2nd gens without mates
  • 3rd gens without mates
  • 4th+ gens without mates
  • Spiral/Stair lineages

This really helps, but it is not failproof or super easy to do. I would really support this suggestion to make it easy to find the right dragons on our scrolls. I only have 7 pages of dragons, but I know many players have many more pages!