TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

Having mostly kept up with the suggestions forum for a while, I feel like agreements wouldn't be reached, that people would just argue a whole bunch about everything :\

Sadly I'm inclined to agree. If it was done, I think it might be best if users just submitted suggestions directly to mods, with the best one(s) being used, or if threads were given a set deadline to idea submission and then mods just cherry picked the best of the proposed ones for use. That'd give people a way to offer ideas without having to fight about them.

The other people working on the encyclopedia, did weigh in on the things I wrote, and suggested changes. Some aspects, I made up, but people seemed to like them so they were left. Some things, they didn't care for, so they got changed. Because it wasnt my concept, I felt it was important to have others weigh in on things, and no real concerns were brought up about the things i did end up submitting. I had informally gathered ideas from the chat users over the years (because I was writing stories about different dragons for awhile, aimed towards kids) and some of the tidbits of information added came indirectly from that (such as the mimic ability given to balloons since they do not really appear to have any real self defense options in place outside of having tough skin). If anyone working on the project had had any serious issues with anything written, that information wouldnt have been submitted. The other concept I attempted writing for, my ideas didnt go over well, and until an agreement of what they do is reached..they have a blank page. At the time i was writing things though, I wasnt sure how it would all fit together, so now, I might be able to pull something off that people would agree with for it.

The breeds that are missing information, will get information eventually. Some concepts.. its a matter of coming to agreement on what information needs added, some are waiting on original conceptors to weigh in. I'm sure that if something really, really needed to be changed about a concept, TJ would consider allowing edits to things.

It would be pretty cool to see the stats for how many known dragons of a particular breed exist, however, I dont think that a true representation can happen (don't ratios reset once a year?). I think it could be cool to see site stats in general happen. How many people are in this world? How many are dragon collectors (how many scrolls are there as of x date that are active)? Which users would be considered experts on their particular breed of dragon (hoarders of particular breeds would likely know more about those breeds than other breeds, it could be worked into the story/lore a bit). Seeing information carried over from the dragon stats page, into the encyclopedia could be a bit interesting.

Like others have mentioned.. I am rather curious about some breeds.. where they nest, how they care for young, what other types of foods they eat outside of their breed descriptions on the view page, and how they interact with mana, people and other breeds of dragons. Im curious about some of the animal types that can be found on the dragcave world. I know some of my own concepts, if ever released would end up with some pretty.. harsh tidbits of information, because of what they do, and how they interact with others. Some of my concepts are quite dumb.. its a wonder they even manage to survive... and some are just flat out nasty and evil. I love that some dragons are very, very different than how I pictured them to be. I would love to see a section that breaks down the biomes a bit more, that talks about the different plants and animals that can be found in them. Due to the large sizes of the dragons.. I imagine that some things, such as palm trees, and dandelions could be quite huge compared to what we think of today. Cattle and such could be quite large as well, due to the wide variety of plants available for them to consume, in addition to mana effects on them.

I was just curious, but is some information in the Encyclopedia inspired by some people's descriptions of their own dragons? I am asking this because, years ago, when one of my dragons, a Royal Blue, grew up in December 2012, I gave it a description, found here, saying how

She is usually seen at night with Zegiex, as they both like to look at the stars.
Zegiex is a Nebula. And in one of the Nebula's Encyclopedia entries, it says that
Nebula dragons do not mind temporary company of other breeds, and many have been found to bond closely with Royal Blue dragons, due to their shared love of starlight.
This is a near exact match to the information located in my description. Was this, and/or other dragon information, based on some of our user descriptions? Because if so, I think some users whose descriptions were the basis of some dragonopedia entries would be thrilled to know that, especially those that had their favorite dragons described in such a way and/or those who take pride in their descriptions (myself belonging to both). Or is just some happy coincidence that this happened?

-snip-

Seems like coincidence to me. I mean, they're both nocturnal and related to the night sky in some way. It just seems logical for a possible conclusion drawn that they may interact in some way. c:

Royal Blue dragons are a nocturnal breed who prefer to live high in the mountains near slow-moving water that reflects the night sky. Although quite capable of defending themselves, they are peaceful by nature and will avoid a fight whenever possible.

(Bold by me.) This may be the reason.

I think it might be an awesome idea to hold 'contests' for coming up with info to add to the encyclopedias, for the ones whose artists aren't around/don't care. Articles and such are submitted to threads, and then at the end, people vote for the ones they like the best. And if TJ approves it, it can be added to the encyclopedia. Enforce the thread so no one is allowed to post comments about other peoples' entries, only submissions allowed. This should keep the arguing down. Even a group of people could work together to brainstorm ideas. And the only 'prize' would be having their entry accepted and added in, no other bonuses.

I'd be all over that, there's a few dragons I can come up with 'headcanons' for, after all. wink.gif

Some kind of "adopt a dragon" contest could be fun, but I'm not too sure about submitting the info to a thread. I think if all of people's different ideas were out there in a public place it would just be messy.

Instead, if there were such a contest, I'd like to see TJ come up with some kind of form that people could submit the information to, and which ever one most closely fits the current info for the breed plus works best with the world info TJ has already would be the "winner" and that information would be entered in that dragon breed's encyclopedia page. No one would see what anyone else entered.

I had most of shadow walkers' and coppers' information already in my head when I started filling out their information and it was still hard to fit it all in and make it make sense. I did all or part of some others and that was even harder because it wasn't my concept originally. Some of the things ADP, for example, is asking for never entered my head for those breeds.

... and before some of you ask about it, yes, I know shadow walkers say there is no information available. It exists, it just isn't entered into the encyclopedia yet. TJ will get there at some point.

Personally, I'm kind of relieved that not all breeds have info yet - unlocking all the ones that already do has been quite a task so I'm grateful for a bit of a breather!

Personally, I'm kind of relieved that not all breeds have info yet - unlocking all the ones that already do has been quite a task so I'm grateful for a bit of a breather!

Hear Hear laugh.gif i'm still trolling along the trail of Neglecteds rolleyes.gif

Hear Hear laugh.gif i'm still trolling along the trail of Neglecteds rolleyes.gif

I'm hoping that I can just go back in a few weeks and click on the neglecteds that I've already clicked on. I'm getting tired of looking. Whew!

I'm hoping that I can just go back in a few weeks and click on the neglecteds that I've already clicked on. I'm getting tired of looking. Whew!

I ended up using Google to locate the remaining 100+ hatchies that I needed. But I was finally able to unlock everything. Now I can get back to breeding my beasties and waiting for the next round of facts to be introduced. Or just take a few days off and relax.

If you have a static IP you may not be able to. But, even then you could always use a different computer or device to click on the same ones. Trade with a friend lol. smile.gif

I feel like taking advantage of changing IPs to click a dragon multiple times should be considered cheating... :U

I ended up using Google to locate the remaining 100+ hatchies that I needed. But I was finally able to unlock everything. Now I can get back to breeding my beasties and waiting for the next round of facts to be introduced. Or just take a few days off and relax.

Ah! Why didn't I think of that? tongue.gif NDs all unlocked now....

How does one do this? I already tried this, searching keywords, searching images, but I can't even find one.

I feel like taking advantage of changing IPs to click a dragon multiple times should be considered cheating... :U

What's the difference between that and people that don't have a static IP? I mean, I was kinda being silly/joking to say "trade computers with a friend, get twice the neglected observations", but on the other hand, a person is still doing the work, so why does it matter? Cause you A. have to have access to a different computer or device and B. still have to go through and click a large amount of dragons....I don't really see how it makes much difference.

I googled the following: dragcave.net/view "It’s a cute baby dragon. It looks very sick, as though it wasn’t very well looked after"

(Oh, and you have to tell Google you want to see the duplicate results.)

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Thanks for the Google tip, folks. Sadly I still need 110 hatchlings before I've unlocked the next piece of trivia, but it got me a few broad steps closer. smile.gif

Finally unlocked all info on neglecteds (still need to find 3 more eggs to unlock the egg sprite)

Oddly, the Google trick only got me 40 that I hadn't already seen... Oh well. At least now I'm stuck at 66 instead of 106. ^..^

Well no wonder neglected dragon came up with nothing, it isn't called that in the description...

I used to know how to enable duplicate results back in 2008 but I will have to see how it is done these days.

For now, +1 hatchling to the list.

Well no wonder neglected dragon came up with nothing, it isn't called that in the description...

I used to know how to enable duplicate results back in 2008 but I will have to see how it is done these days.

For now, +1 hatchling to the list.

There's a link at the bottom of the search results...

ETA: Never mind NDs, I really wish I'd thought to use Google to find common hatchies. My heart would sink when I finished a goal only to be told "Now go find 50 more Spitfire hatchies, lol!"

Edited by Amazon_warrior

So, umm, has anyone unlocked the adult Alt Blacks sprites from the curled hatchlings? I've clicked well over 150 Alt Blacks so it seems like by chance I would have hit enough that grew from curled hatchies, but maybe not. Do I need to click more or is this a fool's errand?

So, umm, has anyone unlocked the adult Alt Blacks sprites from the curled hatchlings? I've clicked well over 150 Alt Blacks so it seems like by chance I would have hit enough that grew from curled hatchies, but maybe not. Do I need to click more or is this a fool's errand?

I've unlocked them.