TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

How on earth did you find enough hatchlings O_O

Check scrolls, scrolls and more scrolls.

Edited by littleblackdog

The biggest complaint so far is the 'it doesn't count the dragons I already own' complaint...but as someone else has stated, it was never meant to be a record of how many dragons you own. It is just a tool for unlocking information on different breeds going forward. If you stop looking at it as a tool for recording your dragons and see it for what it actually is....just a fun little way to get new tidbits of information on dragon breeds, which is what an Encyclopedia is meant to do.

Is anyone else noticing trouble getting the Yellow Undine sprites to fill in on their Encyclopedia page? I've got two yellow Undine hatchlings right now, but their sprites are still shaded black with the "own one hatchling or view 5 hatchlings to unlock this sprite" message. ^^;

Sorry if this has been asked already, just wanted to check if anyone else had this!

~Feathers

They probably should've bug-tested this feature a little more before releasing it to the public. A ton of the information isn't even there to start with and where it should say the proper amount of dragons we own of that breed isn't working either...Plus, the sprites we have to "unlock" are vastly familiar to those who have played for a while, which I find redundant. I was, at first, fine with whatever happened because I could choose not to take part in it, but after seeing how many people are upset with it, I could only wish more effort was put into this update.

They probably should've bug-tested this feature a little more before releasing it to the public. A ton of the information isn't even there to start with and where it should say the proper amount of dragons we own of that breed isn't working either...Plus, the sprites we have to "unlock" are vastly familiar to those who have played for a while, which I find redundant. I was, at first, fine with whatever happened because I could choose not to take part in it, but after seeing how many people are upset with it, I could only wish more effort was put into this update.

Most things are working just fine. If you'd read back through the thread a little bit, you would see your concerns have already been addressed.

The thing about those stats is that they were never intended to be a count of how many you own. It isn't that kind of statistic. Before Halloween my Shadow Walker page said I'd owned 0 of any stage, since the encyclopedia started after last Halloween. Now it says I've owned 187 eggs, 18 hatchling and 18 adults. How did that happen? 187 eggs? By breeding a whole bunch of them, most of which were then auto-abandoned when I picked which to keep, then sending the majority of those to new homes. Then it counted more eggs I've had on my scroll by sifting through the AP, picking up and checking lineages, then abandoning most of them. When Desipises information gets added it's going to tell me I've owned something like 10 eggs, 20-something hatchlings and 6 adults. If anyone checked my scroll they'd only find the 6 adults and (if you look quickly) 2 hatchlings. The hatchlings are going to a new home, probably today. It says I've owned that many, and I have, but didn't keep them. I traded for more hatchlings than I ever had as eggs but again, didn't keep them.

The stats aren't about how many you have on your scroll permanently. They were never intended to reflect that. Even if TJ went through and made it add the dragons you had before the encyclopedia went live to your "raised" totals, it still wouldn't be accurate to what you have. Every egg you pick up, every hatchling that even briefly lands on your scroll, adds to the total "owned". Decide to release some adults? Kill some for Zombie fodder? They'd still be reflected in your "adults raised" totals. The encyclopedia stats are intended to be a reflection of everything you've experienced while playing. (Only starting when the encyclopedia went live, not back to the creation of your scroll, since those numbers don't exist.)

You guys who are complaining about "accurate totals" are asking for stats that are different from what was intended for the encyclopedia. You want to know what you have on your scroll, not your whole experience of picking up, receiving, hatching, and so on. There's a suggestion in the Suggestions forum asking TJ to add accurate counts of how many of a breed we actually have on our scrolls. This wouldn't change what it is tracking now, but add stats. That number would have to be able to go up or down to reflect current numbers, every time you pick something up, drop it, trade something, breed... or do anything. I'm not saying it couldn't be done (because I'm so not TJ) but that it is different than what we have now.

Diame, and others. You're missing the point of what the encyclopedia is intended for. You aren't "starting over" on your dragons. The ones on your scroll are still there. The encyclopedia unlocks are intended for adding additional information, not telling you how many of anything are already on your scroll.

The feature was bug tested extensively. It's pretty much working as planned. (a few little quirks have popped up, yes.) It just isn't working as you thought it would.

It's true that there are a lot of breeds that don't have the additional information yet. It's very labor intensive to write that, and there are still a lot to do. I'm sure they'll get done a few at a time and added to the encyclopedia.

Is anyone else noticing trouble getting the Yellow Undine sprites to fill in on their Encyclopedia page? I've got two yellow Undine hatchlings right now, but their sprites are still shaded black with the "own one hatchling or view 5 hatchlings to unlock this sprite" message. ^^;

Sorry if this has been asked already, just wanted to check if anyone else had this!

~Feathers

from what i have read in other posts they only register green if from an egg on your scroll unsure.gif (put me right if wrong) i just went into hatchery clicked what was there refreshed and done again biggrin.gif

Um... how will this work with Guardian of Nature dragons if you want to own 3 of them (and you currently already have some)? It's not able to be abandoned, and I've never been able to kill a rare (they always dodge the knife).

Just click them when you see them on others scrolls or on fan sites.

from what i have read in other posts they only register green if from an egg on your scroll unsure.gif (put me right if wrong) i just went into hatchery clicked what was there refreshed and done again biggrin.gif

I actually did raise my Yellow Undine hatchie from an egg, and it still doesn't show up as completed on my Undine encyclopedia image. xd.png

~Feathers

My eyes are burning from looking at so many scrolls but I finished the ND's! *dances*

Were you able to find frozen eggs for the frills and bright pinks?

I do like the encyclopedia. Daily Dragon Fix site helped me unlock many of the dragons.

Were you able to find frozen eggs for the frills and bright pinks?

I do like the encyclopedia. Daily Dragon Fix site helped me unlock many of the dragons.

There is no such thing as a frozen egg. Sadly there seems to be no way to get those unlocked !

You can observe the hatchies and adults. Nobody really knows yet about the eggs. (There is a theory that they might be re-released, but not known.)

If I can find anyone with the old pinks and frills you mean. Not a easy task to do. I sure hope both get re released.

Jedi, I've found that the best way to unlock the frills and the old pinks (seeing as how I don't have nearly enough - and while my husband has a few frills, he doesn't have enough, either) is to go look at the lineages of some older dragons. The messier and longer, the better - there's more opportunities for old pinks and frills to be in them.

If you go to my hubby's scroll, a few of his frills are messy - you'll find plenty of oldies in their lineages. Just remember - looking at the lineage itself doesn't count. You have to view each of the dragons' view pages in the lineages for it to count!

This is the hubby's scroll

Happy hunting!

(what's still making me irate is trying to find enough neglected hatchies to dream of unlocking the last of the neglected information. Screw it, I say - probably easier to actually turn that many little buggers than find enough frozens to count.)

EDIT: My scroll has a couple of old pinks on it - I think my frozen's got a lineage that you could peck through. Also, anything on my scroll under the 'gotta catch 'em all' banner that doesn't have -CB on it has a lineage, and many of the ones towards the end of that list are quite old and friggin' ugly when it comes to their lineages. And my song armies (especially the IB ones) can be long enough to possibly have old pinks and frills in 'em. Hope that helps!

EDIT 2: (because my brain is turned off...) Another thing that helps is when you look through a lineage, select the oldest dragon of the type you're looking for (like a frill or bright pink) then when you visit that dragon's children, check out all of its children. This can net you a lot of extra stuff to view - and can result in an incredibly deep rabbit hole to jump down looking at children of children of children. This is how I've got just about everything done. Except neglecteds. Because their requirements are evil.

Edited by Wends

from what i have read in other posts they only register green if from an egg on your scroll  unsure.gif (put me right if wrong)  i just went into hatchery clicked what was there  refreshed and done again  biggrin.gif

ohhhh ok. I was wondering about this as well, seeing as I have one yellow undine hatchie, but the encyclopedia wasn't updating it for yellow. This makes so much more sense to me (still seems like a bit of a bug, though...)

Edited by VioletWhirlwind

If I can find anyone with the old pinks and frills you mean. Not a easy task to do. I sure hope both get re released.

My scroll has old pinks, frills... everything but neglected.

=) Good luck on your encyclopedia!

Do Clicks on any of the 'click sites' such as Neglected Dragon or Daily Dragon Fix count toward our numbers in the Encyclopedia? I'd rather click on things that need them rather on frozen hatchlings.

Do Clicks on any of the 'click sites' such as Neglected Dragon or Daily Dragon Fix count toward our numbers in the Encyclopedia? I'd rather click on things that need them rather on frozen hatchlings.

They do for me. I also went to the Book of DC Records to find scrolls with bunches of one thing to click

My scroll has old pinks, frills... everything but neglected.

=) Good luck on your encyclopedia!

Thanks but what I am looking for are the S1 and S2 of both the old pinks and frills which are hard to find in order to unlock that part.

There is a thread where people are posting links to their rarer dragons called Encyclopedia Helpers. It's actually incredibly easy to find enough frills and old pinks if you go through the posts in there.

Really the only monumentally difficult breed to complete is the Neglected Dragons, and that's only because the required number of hatchlings is ridiculously high.

Also just a note about the hatchlings - it doesn't matter which stage they are in when you view them. If you viewed 10 stage one hatchlings you would still get the stage 2 image unlocked.

Edited by StellarWing

Wow, almost done.

Just wondering: What about alt Sweetlings? They don't seem to count. At least I can't see theor sprites any where.

There is a thread where people are posting links to their rarer dragons called Encyclopedia Helpers. It's actually incredibly easy to find enough frills and old pinks if you go through the posts in there.

Really the only monumentally difficult breed to complete is the Neglected Dragons, and that's only because the required number of hatchlings is ridiculously high.

Also just a note about the hatchlings - it doesn't matter which stage they are in when you view them. If you viewed 10 stage one hatchlings you would still get the stage 2 image unlocked.

Thanks for the info on the thread. yeah I know that much the thing is finding 10 old pink and 10 frill hatchlings to unlock that part.

Thanks for the info on the thread. yeah I know that much the thing is finding 10 old pink and 10 frill hatchlings to unlock that part.

If you go through the thread you should find more than enough frozen hatchlings to meet the requirement. smile.gif

Do Clicks on any of the 'click sites' such as Neglected Dragon or Daily Dragon Fix count toward our numbers in the Encyclopedia?  I'd rather click on things that need them rather on frozen hatchlings.

Encyclopedia clicks get strange on Allure of Neglected Dragons (I don't use Daily Dragon Fix to know about there). If you click on a dragon where it opens in the same window frame as normal at AoND it counts as being viewed for the egg/hatchling but encyclopedia doesn't "see" it. For clicks to count with encyclopedia on AoND I have to mouse wheel click where it opens a new tab, then the encyclopedia counts. If you opened the view page first within AoND's page then mouse wheel clicked to reach view page, the click doesn't count for encyclopedia as you have already viewed that dragon. Confusing, no?

Clicks at Valley Sherwood and Silvi's work fine as those sites open view page in a separate tab without any fancy stuff on your part.

I'd really just like it to recognize the DOZENS of gendered hatchies and Adult Graves I've looked at, but haven't counted. The numbers for those have NEVER changed no matter how many I've looked at, clicked on, whatever, ANYWHERE. Seriously annoying.