TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

I can't stand the unlocking requirements myself. Probably over 100 dragons each? Over 400 for the chickens, at least. That's extremely tedious to click on, and I refuse to raise any more than what coincides with my scroll goals. Nothing bothers me more than redundancy.

Is anyone else having problems with the Terrae sprites not unlocking?

I think once we unlock a species it should count the unregistered pre-encyclopedia release date dragons on our scroll and add it to the total owned - that way we still have to work to get the info, but the counter will be correct to our scroll tally once it is unlocked.

I like this, actually.

I'll forever be a little grumpy about not having my dragons count towards unlocking anything, but it would be nice to have them register as being owned. I like this idea here.

The 2nd critique of yours is missing a vital detail:

The wiki is not an official part of the game, and it could vanish anytime if the wiki admin or wikia itself decides to make it vanish.

There are several admins, and the Wiki has been around for many years. As one of those admins, I can assure you we're not going anywhere smile.gif

Good point. I am not agreeing with the first critique either. It would be pretty boring if all the dragons were auto unlocked if one had met the criteria already. Why should the older players miss out on the fun of discovering the encyclopedia step by step? I'd feel treated unfairly if that was the case. And it's not as if we can't use the dragons we already own to unlock things. We just have to view them. Which is how to unlock the old pinks and frills too.

With your way though, we could never unlock bright pink or frill eggs, as obviously they don't exist anymore. That aside though, how about giving people the choice if they want to auto-unlock the encyclopedia or not?

I really hope that the wiki does NOT copy all the information from the encyclopedia. IMO that would just be a slap in the face to all the people who worked on this and put it together.

That's rather harsh on those who want to read encyclopedia entries on dragons they just can't get e.g. Hollys or Neglecteds. It's hardly a slap on the face to be honest, as there is still the incentive to unlock the dragon yourself. But for those of us who want to be informed on dragons, the Wiki is our haven. Imagine if we didn't have a guide to Dragon Types there, or a guide to What egg is what? That's definitely not hurting the artists who made those dragons, considering those pages have been there for years and DragCave is still doing fine. And those pages have helped people immensely. If you don't want to read the encyclopedia entries before you unlock them yourself, then don't. But please don't deny that opportunity to those people who do want to.

Also, it isn't true that the artists/concept creators can just go into the wiki and add whatever additional information. I tried to sign up so I could edit something while Nyastara was gone and it wouldn't let me. They probably do have to keep fairly tight control over who can add what there, to keep the information somewhat accurate.

It is true indeed, we have several artists on the Wiki adding stuff to the dragon articles actually smile.gif (Edit: I might add, even TJ09 is on the wiki wink.gif). Hmm, it depends on what page you were trying to edit (for example, click sites is locked to prevent spam flooding) but in general it's very rare that articles be locked off to registered users. Send me a PM and I'll help you out smile.gif

Edited by bluesonic1

That's rather harsh on those who want to read encyclopedia entries on dragons they just can't get e.g. Hollys or Neglecteds. It's hardly a slap on the face to be honest, as there is still the incentive to unlock the dragon yourself. But for those of us who want to be informed on dragons, the Wiki is our haven. Imagine if we didn't have a guide to Dragon Types there, or a guide to What egg is what? That's definitely not hurting the artists who made those dragons, considering those pages have been there for years and DragCave is still doing fine. And those pages have helped people immensely. If you don't want to read the encyclopedia entries before you unlock them yourself, then don't. But please don't deny that opportunity to those people who do want to.

None of that is information that is supposed to remain locked until you uncover it. Before the wiki it was still possible to find out all that information just from the Dragon Cave site itself by visiting other scrolls.

Also, the information that is found in the encyclopedia is not vital information for raising dragons, but just extra, interesting detail.

I just don't feel it is right for the wiki to put that info out there for everyone. I don't see how that is being harsh to anyone. There are plenty of Hollies around on other scrolls that you can observe if you don't have your own. Neglecteds are a bit different because of the ridiculously high numbers of them you need to get the info unlocked, but then NDs always were supposed to be something of a mystery to be unlocked.

Personally I think it would be fine for the Wiki to copy the information. Maybe they should put spoilers or something? Probably use hide tags or whatever for the information (especially since there's SO MUCH in some cases, so it would save space)

None of that is information that is supposed to remain locked until you uncover it. Before the wiki it was still possible to find out all that information just from the Dragon Cave site itself by visiting other scrolls.

Also, the information that is found in the encyclopedia is not vital information for raising dragons, but just extra, interesting detail.

I just don't feel it is right for the wiki to put that info out there for everyone. I don't see how that is being harsh to anyone. There are plenty of Hollies around on other scrolls that you can observe if you don't have your own. Neglecteds are a bit different because of the ridiculously high numbers of them you need to get the info unlocked, but then NDs always were supposed to be something of a mystery to be unlocked.

Hehe, how long have you been on DragCave for? You know, there was a time waaaaay back in the day when no one was allowed to even talk about the breeds of dragons, because it had to remain a secret what egg hatched into what dragon. And technically, they were right back then, because it was information that was supposed to remain locked until you uncovered it. You shouldn't be able to know what dragon you're going to get from the description or picture of the egg alone, unless you have owned one yourself. Imagine if the site were still maintained that way hmm. And you're quite right; you don't feel it's right.

Maybe they should put spoilers or something?

Already done- you can see it on the front page in big bold writing before entering the site smile.gif

Already done- you can see it on the front page in big bold writing before entering the site :)

Honestly, I don't see it until I scroll down. And even then it's not particularly eye-catching. That badge just takes up too much space. I highly suggest putting the spoiler and welcome messages *above* the image. Leave the little summary below. But really, on my monitor, just going there, I see the picture, then barely seen at the bottom is the welcome message.

I think the spoiler should go before the welcome, but it could go after. Just make it more noticeable. I honestly didn't even know there was a spoiler tag until you mentioned it and I had to go *looking* for it.

Be honest though- considering what you think the DragCave Wiki is and is for, without even going on it, you know there's going to be spoilers there anyway right? That's basically the purpose of the Wiki (put in a very crude fashion).

(I have edited that bit on Wiki btw)

Edited by bluesonic1

Well yes of course. Personally I don't care, in most cases, about spoilers- but I'm sure there are still many who don't even realize there's that spoiler tag, is what I'm saying. c:

Again, I don't care if the Wiki copies the info. In fact, I'd be rather peeved if the Wiki *didn't* copy it! I love that DC has something on-side and official, but I still use outside sources for pretty much anything and Wikis are great sources of information.

Hehe, how long have you been on DragCave for? You know, there was a time waaaaay back in the day when no one was allowed to even talk about the breeds of dragons, because it had to remain a secret what egg hatched into what dragon. And technically, they were right back then, because it was information that was supposed to remain locked until you uncovered it. You shouldn't be able to know what dragon you're going to get from the description or picture of the egg alone, unless you have owned one yourself. Imagine if the site were still maintained that way hmm. And you're quite right; you don't feel it's right.

I have been around long enough to remember all that. It still doesn't change my opinion. I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours. I just think it spoils the whole idea of an encyclopedia that has information to be uncovered if you can just run to the wiki and see it all without doing the work.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I raised a Pumpkin dragon from an egg this Halloween. Yet neither the S2 hatchie nor the adult appears in the encylopedia:

user posted image

If you only raised one pumpkin that would probably be why the s2 and adult aren't showing up. The s2 needs you to raise 2 or to observe 10 and the adult needs you to raise 3 or observe 15.

I think once we unlock a species it should count the unregistered pre-encyclopedia release date dragons on our scroll and add it to the total owned - that way we still have to work to get the info, but the counter will be correct to our scroll tally once it is unlocked.

I agree completely with this idea.

If we raise one of a species, it should unlock all of the dragons of that species on our scroll. This would allow the numbers in the encyclopedia to be identical to the numbers on our scroll. I have raised a large Red army, for instance, and I would like to see all of them counted.

If something like this isn't implemented, the encyclopedia is going to be a source of aggravation to me, and I will likely ignore it. I like statistics to be accurate, especially in a collecting game.

If you only raised one pumpkin that would probably be why the s2 and adult aren't showing up. The s2 needs you to raise 2 or to observe 10 and the adult needs you to raise 3 or observe 15.

Fiona, thanks for the information.

I did not know this. This is not directed at you, but instead to TJ: I personally do not agree with this approach. I think if we raise one, it should unlock the information on the breed. With holiday dragons, especially a holiday like Halloween, it could take years before we have raised enough eggs/hatchlings to unlock the encyclopedia. It seems more punishing than anything and way too strict. Not something I will enjoy doing.

I appreciate the hard work that has gone into it, but wish it had been implemented differently. I will not be spending any more time on the encyclopedia. It seems the decision has been made to implement it in this fashion and I doubt anything anyone says will change TJ's mind. Enjoy to those who like it this way, but it is not for me.

With holiday dragons, especially a holiday like Halloween, it could take years before we have raised enough eggs/hatchlings to unlock the encyclopedia. It seems more punishing than anything and way too strict.

It isn't just raising that counts, though. If you click on dragons, that counts also, though the number you need is higher (the observation number).

Edited by Kith

Is their an opt out option? I would like to turn it off so that I don't have to look at it or see it or be reminded that it is even there in my scroll please. I do not like this feature at all I would like an opt out button please.

Is their an opt out option? I would like to turn it off so that I don't have to look at it or see it or be reminded that it is even there in my scroll please. I do not like this feature at all I would like an opt out button please.

I kind of second this, because it just reminds me how all my previous efforts of raising dragons is unrewarded and considered nothing (my opinion only!). Perhaps make a Suggestions thread about it Trinketguu?

If you don't like the feature...there's a simple way to deal with it. Just don't click on it. There's nothing forcing you to use it. Why bother with an 'opt out' button? Nobody is forcing you to go into your account settings and click on the Encyclopedia. It's simple willpower. Easy as that.

If you don't like the feature...there's a simple way to deal with it. Just don't click on it. There's nothing forcing you to use it. Why bother with an 'opt out' button? Nobody is forcing you to go into your account settings and click on the Encyclopedia. It's simple willpower. Easy as that.

I think they meant that you still get a link to the encyclopedia on the page of any dragons you own. There is no way to avoid that if you wish to continue acquiring dragons..

I think they meant that you still get a link to the encyclopedia on the page of any dragons you own. There is no way to avoid that if you wish to continue acquiring dragons..

Except you don't have to click the link on the dragon page either, instead it just serves as a species marker. It's a simple act of 'do not click this link'. I don't carefor the encyclopedia either but I see no reason to add coding to turn off a part of the site you can easily ignore.

Is anyone else having problems with the Terrae sprites not unlocking?

Yes, I noticed I needed to observe about twice as many as indicated. Not sure if this has been reported to TJ yet, actually!

Fiona, thanks for the information.

I did not know this. This is not directed at you, but instead to TJ: I personally do not agree with this approach. I think if we raise one, it should unlock the information on the breed. With holiday dragons, especially a holiday like Halloween, it could take years before we have raised enough eggs/hatchlings to unlock the encyclopedia. It seems more punishing than anything and way too strict. Not something I will enjoy doing.

I appreciate the hard work that has gone into it, but wish it had been implemented differently.  I will not be spending any more time on the encyclopedia. It seems the decision has been made to implement it in this fashion and I doubt anything anyone says will change TJ's mind. Enjoy to those who like it this way, but it is not for me.

I only raised 2 pumpkins this year but I picked up many more than that searching the AP. Plus I like to check lineages, had no trouble unlocking those. Current stats (which I think are probaly overkill for unlocking the images):

•Eggs Owned: 113

•Hatchlings Owned: 4

•Adults Raised: 2

•Eggs Observed: 36

•Hatchlings Observed: 66

•Adults Observed: 94

Side note, I did find it amusing some of the last pumpkins in the trade threads either came from my scroll or were related. cool.gif

Terrae eggs are separate sprites so they need to be done individualy, I didn't have trouble unlocking hatchlings or adults.