TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

The Blacks are upsetting me. You have to get two different sets of Alts. One for the sitting alt hatchling, and one for the laying down alt hatchling. I think that's rather stupid. dry.gif

Is it just me, or did the implementation of the encyclopedia change the way rainbow sort works, or did TJ change the way dragons sort themselves? huh.gif Dragons that are dark (embers, black stripes, etc.) are now showing near the top on my scroll instead of near the end as before huh.gif I find it a bit confusing now that I got to re-find (if that's a word) which dragons I need if I want to breed them ^^; Edited by FluffyPillow

I haven't really explored the Encyclopedia much, too much work.

I will say I am a little peeved that my new halloween dragons some how managed to hatch and gendered after only being in one fan site for less than 24hrs (when I have never had a problem with this site before getting over clicked). Went in today expecting eggs still, but no had gendered hatchlings. Luckily still alive dry.gif Near as I can figured people are trying to get clicks for the Encyclopedia dry.gif and I've never had to hide my scroll before. It is now.

UGH. Now I know the issue I can work around it but still I'm annoyed I didn't pay attention.

I haven't had that problem. I always use two sites (Allure of Neglected Dragons and Eggs Around the World). I put them in the hatcheries once they've reached 5 days and 23 hours and mine grew up normally as expected. Gendering around 5 days, I think and growing up at 4 days minus minutes.

But that's what I've been used to for a very long time already. I don't know what you're used to.

I do indeed click much eggs/hatchlings in the hathceries, but I already did that before the encyclopedia became live. It's just nice to know that all that clicking now helps with the encyclopedia smile.gif

I hope all the breeds that don't have any notes yet but had (lots of) information in the announcement threads (posted by the artists/concept designers) will have that information soon.

And of course I hope we'll have the descriptions of the dragons as we find them on the dragons page in the encyclopedia soon as well!

Is it just me, or did the implementation of the encyclopedia change the way rainbow sort works, or did TJ change the way dragons sort themselves? huh.gif Dragons that are dark (embers, black stripes, etc.) are now showing near the top on my scroll instead of near the end as before huh.gif I find it a bit confusing now that I got to re-find (relocate) which dragons I need if I want to breed them ^^;

It looks like it has now been organized by name, Albinos at the front, Whites near the back followed by the non-dragon Dinos and chicken.

Edited by Cygnis

It looks like it has now been organized by name, Albinos at the front, Whites near the back followed by the non-dragon Dinos and chicken.

Ah ._. I guess that makes rainbow sort kind of moot then, since now the colors are all mixed up (it was my favorite sort as well) unsure.gif Maybe I'll have to use breed sort ^^; I love the encyclopedia though, but I still kind of wish we didn't have to view a ton of dragons to unlock ones we may already have lots of ^^; I do wonder though, when trying to unlock the prize dragons, do each of them have their own encyclopedia spot (example - bronze tinsel, silver tinsel, etc.), or can you view lots of either color to unlock that breed? huh.gif I have lots of Tinsels, but after clicking them all, they're not even darkened in the encyclopedia unsure.gif

Edited by FluffyPillow

Is anyone having trouble getting some views to register for cheese eggs? Yes I clicked on the view link and the lineage link and the view again just for good measure. I did this with two different cheese eggs and it still shows "Eggs Observed: 0"

*Edit*

Tried two other cheese eggs and now it shows I've viewed two. Very strange.

Edited by littleblackdog

Is anyone having trouble getting some views to register for cheese eggs?  Yes I clicked on the view link and the lineage link and the view again just for good measure.  I did this with two different cheese eggs and it still shows "Eggs Observed: 0"

*Edit*

Tried two other cheese eggs and now it shows I've viewed two.  Very strange.

I turned two ND eggs a few hours ago, but it hasn't registered either as having belonged to me. One died an instant after turning, the lil sod, so I could almost see why that one might not have been picked up, but the other made a healthy hatchie. It's very weird. There was no such problem with the ND I made last week. (Not that it matters vastly for the eggs, but still.) After chatting to someone else, I recalled that the previous ND I made left my scroll and came back as an egg, whereas my latest baby was hatched on a friend's scroll and came back to me as a hatchie. So it seems that an egg turning on your scroll is not enough, it must be sent to you for the encyclopedia to count it. That seems.... wrong. And has worrying implications for hatchie experiments.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I haven't had that problem. I always use two sites (Allure of Neglected Dragons and Eggs Around the World). I put them in the hatcheries once they've reached 5 days and 23 hours and mine grew up normally as expected. Gendering around 5 days, I think and growing up at 4 days minus minutes.

But that's what I've been used to for a very long time already. I don't know what you're used to.

I do indeed click much eggs/hatchlings in the hathceries, but I already did that before the encyclopedia became live. It's just nice to know that all that clicking now helps with the encyclopedia smile.gif

Put them in the same site (daily dragon fix) for one day only. Same site I've used for years with no problem. So either the Encyclopedia or someone wanted to help my dragons grow dry.gif Neither of which I like.

Put them in the same site (daily dragon fix) for one day only. Same site I've used for years with no problem. So either the Encyclopedia or someone wanted to help my dragons grow dry.gif Neither of which I like.

My eggs aren't getting unusually high views/clicks in DDF. It sounds more like someone thought you needed "help" with yours and added them to some other places.

2 critiques I have for this new feature:

- If dragons we already previously owned before this was implanted could count, so species can 'auto unlock', that would be great. I've gone through the effort in the past to collect those dragons, I don't see why that effort can't be rewarded as well. Someone pointed out in a different thread that Bright Pinks & Frill eggs will never be unlocked because of this, so counting the dragons we've already collected could solve that (for those of us who own those dragons anyway).

- This feature is sliiiiightly redundant considering there is a large and flourishing DragCave Wiki that artists can go on at any time they want and add the extra information or lore that is being put out in this Encyclopedia. Not to mention the Encyclopedia's information is likely to be transferred to the Wiki anyway as people begin unlocking dragons.

Edited by bluesonic1

The 2nd critique of yours is missing a vital detail:

The wiki is not an official part of the game, and it could vanish anytime if the wiki admin or wikia itself decides to make it vanish.

Good point. I am not agreeing with the first critique either. It would be pretty boring if all the dragons were auto unlocked if one had met the criteria already. Why should the older players miss out on the fun of discovering the encyclopedia step by step? I'd feel treated unfairly if that was the case. And it's not as if we can't use the dragons we already own to unlock things. We just have to view them. Which is how to unlock the old pinks and frills too.

I really hope that the wiki does NOT copy all the information from the encyclopedia. IMO that would just be a slap in the face to all the people who worked on this and put it together.

We can't really stop the wiki from just copying all the info from the encyclopedia, but I'd rather they didn't. One thing though, the wiki is completely unofficial. The encyclopedia is official. What's put there becomes canon. It no longer is a matter of the breed's conceptor going into a bsa suggestion or whatever and saying, "But daydreams can't do that." and having others complain about the power that gives individual concept creators. Anyone can point to the encyclopedia information and say, "See, the encyclopedia says they can't do that." The encyclopedia becomes the last word on what a breed can or cannot do.

Also, it isn't true that the artists/concept creators can just go into the wiki and add whatever additional information. I tried to sign up so I could edit something while Nyastara was gone and it wouldn't let me. They probably do have to keep fairly tight control over who can add what there, to keep the information somewhat accurate.

How is it unfair? I think it's unfair that my dragons don't count for ANYTHING- even if they didn't unlock anything it says I have NONE of them except for what I get from now on. :\

Why shouldn't I just be able to unlock stuff with that I have? What's the problem with it? Honestly I think it would have been more fair. Yes, I realize the Encyclopedia is this way to have everyone on even ground and start building it up but I don't see why it has to be. It's not really "unfair" to new players because it's not like they can't get those dragons or fill out the 'pedia. And why would it matter anyway? What advantage does it give over newer players other than some trivia/interesting facts? Anyone could still get all the information, anyway, and then they won't be on even ground with players who start now, or tomorrow, or next year.

At the very least, even if they don't end up counting for unlocking anything, I'd like the dragons I have to be registered by the encyclopedia! I didn't start building a Seragamma army just to have it say I have NONE. :\

Will there ever be some sort of indicator where you can see what eggs/hatchlings/adult sprites have not been unlocked?

Or perhaps have some indicator or icon next to the breed name once you have "completed" it.

It is a bit time consuming to open every dragon to check it is all uploaded. Since some breeds don't have info, perhaps have two icons, one for unlocking all sprites, and another for unlocking all info.

How is it unfair? I think it's unfair that my dragons don't count for ANYTHING- even if they didn't unlock anything it says I have NONE of them except for what I get from now on. :\

Why shouldn't I just be able to unlock stuff with that I have? What's the problem with it? Honestly I think it would have been more fair. Yes, I realize the Encyclopedia is this way to have everyone on even ground and start building it up but I don't see why it has to be. It's not really "unfair" to new players because it's not like they can't get those dragons or fill out the 'pedia. And why would it matter anyway? What advantage does it give over newer players other than some trivia/interesting facts? Anyone could still get all the information, anyway, and then they won't be on even ground with players who start now, or tomorrow, or next year.

At the very least, even if they don't end up counting for unlocking anything, I'd like the dragons I have to be registered by the encyclopedia! I didn't start building a Seragamma army just to have it say I have NONE. :\

A thing is worth only the time put in. I DO NOT want auto-unlocks. Where's is the challenge in that? And I happen to be one of those people that only collects a select number of each dragon (5 => 2 adults, 2 gendered hatchlings, and one ungendered), so the argument of "I only collect X, this mess's up my scroll goals is also invalid". Because you do not HAVE to collect even ONE dragon to fill out the encyclopedia.

Why is it not FAIR that everyone has to unlock the encyclopedia? You want the info, you do the work. Same as everyone else. I do not even understand why

some players feel otherwise. It is extremely fair that everyone has the same amount of work to do.

Also how many times does it have to be said that "Owned" totals would never be accurate because the numbers only go up, not down. Anything killed, released, abandoned, (or holiday un-kept multiples) are all still part of the "owned" number. So, the number will get less and less accurate as the game went on.

A thing is worth only the time put in.  I DO NOT want auto-unlocks.  Where's is the challenge in that?  And I happen to be one of those people that only collects a select number of each dragon (5 => 2 adults, 2 gendered hatchlings, and one ungendered), so the argument of "I only collect X, this mess's up my scroll goals is also invalid".  Because you do not HAVE to collect even ONE dragon to fill out the encyclopedia. 

Why is it not FAIR that everyone has to unlock the encyclopedia?  You want the info, you do the work.  Same as everyone else.  I do not even understand why

some players feel otherwise. It is extremely fair that everyone has the same amount of work to do.   

Also how many times does it have to be said that "Owned" totals would never be accurate because the numbers only go up, not down.  Anything killed, released, abandoned, (or holiday un-kept multiples) are all still part of the "owned" number.  So, the number will get less and less accurate as the game went on.

I DID put in the time. I DID work; I just did it early. :\ All of my work is irrelevant now. I might as well have released all my dragons and started over, that's how much the work I HAVE done counts.

They wouldn't be "auto" unlocks. Auto unlocks would mean you don't do ANYTHING at all, retroactively or currently, to unlock them. :\ I did do work. I have collected dragons. I think it's fair to have the ones I own count for unlocking information.

I never said I thought I needed to collect ANY dragons for it, because I know I don't. I went through and observed all of mine as soon as I could.

Again, I feel I already DID the work, at least partially for almost every dragon/creature (I do not have one of every dragon just yet) but they don't count for anything. They don't even show as owned.

Then the "owned" total needs to be fixed, or at least split into currently own/killed/abandoned/released sections.

Excuse me for being peeved that work I have done isn't counted. It doesn't even need to count what other dragons I've looked at. Even though I would rather have my dragons count towards unlocking the 'pedia, I want them to at the VERY least count as being owned. I supported the suggestion to have it so in the respective forum section for that reason. I want my work to count for *something*, even if all it is is the owned/currently own/whatever count.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Hmm. I'm wondering, could a compromise between the two camps be found where dragons owned before the cut-off date count as 'half-owned' in the encyclopaedia, maybe? Or is that combining the worst aspects of both ideas? laugh.gif

(I was a bit sad my existing dragons didn't count toward the encyclopaedia, but I'm okay with how it is... so I'm not really invested in either point of view, just musing aloud, hoping someone can glean something from it. happy.gif)

I really love this feature. I mean, we all love dragon cave but this gives it a new objective. We want to fill the encyclopedia so we breed more and learn more and interact more and it's just wonderful. I can't wait to read info about my favorite dragons.

Hmm. I'm wondering, could a compromise between the two camps be found where dragons owned before the cut-off date count as 'half-owned' in the encyclopaedia, maybe? Or is that combining the worst aspects of both ideas? laugh.gif

(I was a bit sad my existing dragons didn't count toward the encyclopaedia, but I'm okay with how it is... so I'm not really invested in either point of view, just musing aloud, hoping someone can glean something from it. happy.gif)

Frankly, I think people would never have been upset if that "owned" category had never been there. It is just because it is there and doesn't agree with what we know is on our scrolls. It doesn't bother me once I just decided to ignore it, but I understand why some people are upset. I do NOT think that the info in the encyclopedia should be pre-opened just because we already own the dragons, though.

I think once we unlock a species it should count the unregistered pre-encyclopedia release date dragons on our scroll and add it to the total owned - that way we still have to work to get the info, but the counter will be correct to our scroll tally once it is unlocked.