TJ09

2014-10-22 - Dragon Encyclopedia

While I don't mind that it started with a blank slate necessarily, I wish that, if I click on a dragon or hatchie on my scroll, it would acknowledge that this is a dragon that I own and add it to the encyclopedia accordingly (i.e., as a raised dragon/hatchie, not an observed dragon/hatchie). That surely cannot be a difficult thing to implement and might have done something to ease the frustration of people seeing all those zeros for breeds they've raised lots of. (Yes, going and clicking on everything on your scroll all over again would be annoying too, but I think it would be a lesser annoyance if the proper credit were given.)

^ THIS ^

Is it at least feasible for the encyclopedia to show an accurate total after we've unlocked everything?

Unfortunately that concept seems taken from the Veteran's Biome discussion. The idea that veteran's can't retroactively benefit from their scrolls regarding new features was pervasive. I'm not sure that reasoning is appropriate applied to a feature like this. I'd like to see ownership credit for what I have, certainly. Otherwise that statistic is just wrong.

Unfortunately that concept seems taken from the Veteran's Biome discussion. The idea that veteran's can't retroactively benefit from their scrolls regarding new features was pervasive. I'm not sure that reasoning is appropriate applied to a feature like this. I'd like to see ownership credit for what I have, certainly. Otherwise that statistic is just wrong.

That's a bit daft, then. My first port of call for unlocking this damn encyclopedia is my own scroll - I can't believe my DC avatar person hasn't made observations of all these dragons I've raised over the years. Also, if that were supposed to make sense, we should all have started from "scratch" when the trophies were introduced regardless of how many dragons we'd raised already... dry.gif

Edited by Amazon_warrior

While I don't mind that it started with a blank slate necessarily, I wish that, if I click on a dragon or hatchie on my scroll, it would acknowledge that this is a dragon that I own and add it to the encyclopedia accordingly (i.e., as a raised dragon/hatchie, not an observed dragon/hatchie). That surely cannot be a difficult thing to implement and might have done something to ease the frustration of people seeing all those zeros for breeds they've raised lots of. (Yes, going and clicking on everything on your scroll all over again would be annoying too, but I think it would be a lesser annoyance if the proper credit were given.)

Especially zombies and ND's...

it hurts not to get credit for such rare dragons (or the eggs you briefly saw of the latter).

Especially zombies and ND's...

it hurts not to get credit for such rare dragons (or the eggs you briefly saw of the latter).

I agree... and I'm kinda disappointed.

I lost interest for the encyclopedia now sad.gif

Btw, is there a page for the Lettle Tree? I clicked some of them, but nothing so far.

Nope (i wish there was)

I don't believe that's the case here. I think it's a case that the encyclopedia is set to keep track of all eggs, hatchlings and adults that pass through your scroll as a cumulative amount and that information is non-existent for the time before TJ initialized the encyclopedia. It's not just a matter of everyone starting even for fairness but because the information he's gathering for the encyclopedia wasn't tracked prior.

I don't believe that's the case here. I think it's a case that the encyclopedia is set to keep track of all eggs, hatchlings and adults that pass through your scroll as a cumulative amount and that information is non-existent for the time before TJ initialized the encyclopedia. It's not just a matter of everyone starting even for fairness but because the information he's gathering for the encyclopedia wasn't tracked prior.

This is pretty much what I guessed. However, it really, really wouldn't be difficult to run a check for whether a dragon or hatchie is on the clicker's scroll, the add that info to the encyclopedia accordingly.

Is the leetle tree included in the Dragon Encyclopaedia?

Nope

I see. smile.gif Thanks for the answer, rubyshoes!

You're welcome (I'm hoping it gets added later). smile.gif

I have 50 of Dragon X, why does the encyclopedia say I've raised 0?

The encyclopedia is starting from scratch to give everyone the chance to fill out the encyclopedia (rather than having it all already unlocked for them).

I don't want to raise Dragon Y because I don't like that breed. How do I scratch my completionist itch?

All notes and info can be unlocked by raising dragons or observing them. If you don't want to raise a given breed, you can instead substitute observing.

@Fiona I see what you are saying but from what's posted it seems less like a technical issue and more like a choice. Otherwise, how would bsa etc work? Or breeding in general? Either way, having a big scroll I understand the frustration. The info would be extremely handy to me for tracking my dragons. I'd love it!

Yes yes pretty please? I was thinking this since the beginning - some breeds will no longer be available as eggs or available to mark them under 'raised' either (Frill, Old Pink). Plus it would be cool to have a way to track the number of a hoard (hehhehehe loon hehehhehe) down that way.

Having grown close to 5000 items and the encyclopedia not acknowledging it is a bit.. sad. ^^"

I'm very disappointed that all the dragons I have worked hard to collect and raise won't show in the stats sad.gif

Many people have worked jolly hard to complete sets and scroll goals and may never want to add any more dragons of certain breeds and thus we are destined to forever have zero for that type of dragon whereas we might actually have dozens of them.

Whilst I understand for newer players it could be fun to start from scratch and unlock dragons, etc. could we not have the option whereby if we would like all of our dragons included we could have them, please?

exactly!!! It makes no sense, because we started from scratch at one point too. Also, how does not counting our proudly raised dragons make new players's experiences better!? Also, I already have 2 GON's. How on earth am I suposed to have them show up in my stats. I'm probably the most selfish person on DC and the whole point of it for me was (fun obviously) but also stats. I also have moderate OCD. Just thinking about how they wont count is making me very anxious. I am sooo hopeful that developers will read this and at least consider fixing it. As of now I am highly distressed and now I am done with my depressed rant.

A thousand thumbs up to this. Can you post it in the encyclopedia suggestions thread?

I've unlocked the top 12 rows of the encyclopedia fully so far (sans things like Valentines / Christmases that can't be unlocked fully yet). The facts are interesting but more and more I'm wishing either our current stuff credited, at least got PARTIAL credit (as per above suggestion), or that the stupid numbers required were just lower in general. I should not have to observe 150+ adults of a given breed to get a good understanding of how they behave. I'm sure a lower number would've sufficed. :T

@Fiona I see what you are saying but from what's posted it seems less like a technical issue and more like a choice. Otherwise, how would bsa etc work? Or breeding in general? Either way, having a big scroll I understand the frustration. The info would be extremely handy to me for tracking my dragons. I'd love it!

I think Fiona was referring to people saying "why can't X egg I've picked up Y months ago be counted" rather than already matured dragons.

I think he made the choice to base what the encyclopedia shows on everything that passes through a person's scroll, not just on what they currently own. He'd have set that up so it automatically looks for these actions and keeps track, but it can't track back from before the encyclopedia started because that information doesn't exist.

So, as an example, my stats currently say I've owned 18 pumpkin eggs. Guess how many I actually have? 0. Because I bred my pumpkins to the AP. He set it up to track everything that passes through your scroll, including dragon eggs you breed and abandon, hatchlings you trade away, adults you kill or release... everything. But it can't go backwards from the release of the encyclopedia. Yes, that was a choice he made.

What people are asking for is for the encyclopedia to also record information from a completely different source. That is, look and see if that dragon is recorded as being on my scroll. Not a new action that happens, and information that would be stored in a different place than what he's currently tracking. Maybe it would be easy for him to add that and maybe it wouldn't. Dunno, not a coder. Also not Coder Wizard TJ.

(disclaimer. I have no inside info on how TJ set things up. I'm just basing my opinion on what TJ did say and what I know of coding, having taken some coding classes years ago and being the mother of a coder and the mother-in-law of a coder. They talk about stuff.)

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

THIS IS PERFECT!!!

I actually thought that this could be one of the few "events" where there would not be some strain of dissatisfaction or complaining, but people do seem to always find something.

No offense to anyone, just thought I had to say it.

Edited by Ashywolf

just discovered this yesterday...interesting

only thing i really dislike is that my two adult GoNs don't count dry.gif

(yes, i know i can click those of other people and everything, but still)

in case anyone currently in need of a GoN hatchie to click:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/PrcKS

will still be an hatchie for the next 40h smile.gif

won't freeze it because the GoN hatchies are meh imo

Edited by Ravera

I actually thought that this could be one of the few "events" where there would not be some strain of dissatisfaction or complaining, but people do seem to always find something.

No offense to anyone, just thought I had to say it.

It's just that... it would have been nice to see that all the things we raised since we started playing (6 years for me!) counted for something. Especially discontinued or actually rare dragons (Old Pink, Frills, Zombies... or Hollies. It took me 5 years to get one. Five!). It pains me to know that even though I own several of each of them, I won't have them marked as "owned".

That, and the annoying fact that we need to hunt dragons (in *all* stagessss) now, and sometimes those in your own scroll don't even count! I want the info but I really don't want to waste time in searching creatures that I have (or at least, my DC avatar has) known for years. I even know the descriptions of some species by heart. It makes no sense. I hoard Purples and Nebulas... how come that I apparently don't know (or even own) about them yet? The effort the "oldie" (or the really devoted newbies!) users have put in their scrolls for years should have counted for something...

I guess my personal rage will somewhat pass when someone compiles all the dragon's facts somewhere, and spares me the job of collecting/observing those I already know and raised for years. But still... the "owner" issue is disturbing.

/end of my first DC related rant in 6 years of playing.

Edited by Mystic_Solara

I think what bothers me the most is that no one will be able to really complete frills or old pinks, because the eggs don't really "exist" anymore.

And even if the encyclopedia gets updated to count your old dragons (and their prior stages), new members won't be able to complete them. It just doesn't work too nicely with the discontinued dragons :S

On another note, I've been using click sites to help complete the egg and hatchie sections. Makes me feel like I'm doing a bit of good while trying to complete my goal tongue.gif

It's just that... it would have been nice to see that all the things we raised since we started playing (6 years for me!) counted for something. Especially discontinued or actually rare dragons (Old Pink, Frills, Zombies... or Hollies. It took me 7 years to get one. Seven!). It pains me to know that even though I own several of each of them, I won't have them marked as "owned".

That, and the annoying fact that we need to hunt dragons (in *all* stagessss) now, and sometimes those in your own scroll don't even count! I want the info but I really don't want to waste time in searching creatures that I have (or at least, my DC avatar has) known for years. I even know the descriptions of some species by heart. It makes no sense. I hoard Purples and Nebulas... how come that I apparently don't know (or even own) about them yet? The effort the "oldie" (or the really devoted newbies!) users have put in their scrolls for years should have counted for something...

I guess my personal rage will somewhat pass when someone compiles all the dragon's facts somewhere, and spares me the job of collecting/observing those I already know and raised for years. But still... the "owner" issue is disturbing.

/end of my first DC related rant in 6 years of playing.

I'm right there with you!