Meg_752

Frozen Eggs Biome

from the OP

""This is not actually an egg. It is a realistically painted rock that closely resembles a dragon egg. Thus, it will never hatch.""

which, unless they never ever click the rockegg ever again, there should be ZERO confusion or wondering if itll ever hatch, because it wont.

...again, I am not talking about people thinking the rocks will hatch. I am thinking about people being confused why they are stones that are painted like dragon eggs that (as far as they can see) don't exist. xd.png

I'm sorry, I seem to be really bad at communicating today. Let me try with an example:

You're new to Dragon Cave. You pick up a Rosebud rock. You know you can't hatch it, but you like the stone and you start to hang out in the cave because you want the corresponding dragon egg. It never shows up (obviously). You end up confused.

I don't think the potential for confusion is a huge issue, for what it's worth, but I do think it's there. tongue.gif

[ Edit: Small wording tweak just because I'm paranoid at this point. xd.png ]

Edited by pinkgothic

Perhaps holiday rocks only show up around holidays, then, to possibly avoid some confusion?

I think that might help. But, with all the "Where did my Zombie go?", "Why is my Tinsel sick?", and other oft repeated questions, that answering these new questions won't pose much hardship. And, of course the FAQ would/could be updated as well.

Perhaps holiday rocks only show up around holidays, then, to possibly avoid some confusion?

Hmm, that might work. I've got to admit that as a person who near-obsessively looks up everything I find it difficult to have a grasp on whether that would really help. xd.png Let's assume it does (let's assume "this dragon can be bred but not obtained as a CB" is easily understood; this would then also take care of shimmers and avatars, for example) and call it a day. user posted image

It wouldn't make sense for the "eggs" to be of different rarities or only able to be collected during certain times, as they are all painted. The only thing I could see would having holidays either very rare of unavailable unless it was around the season. It's very difficult to find Halloween accessories in January, which would be the RP reasoning--I don't see very many artists decorating for Valentine's Day now!

If you assume that whoever paints them copies them from a real egg, then they would have seen more commons and be more practised drawing them. (don't know if that makes any sense at all, but I'd like them to be different rarities)

If you assume that whoever paints them copies them from a real egg, then they would have seen more commons and be more practised drawing them. (don't know if that makes any sense at all, but I'd like them to be different rarities)

Okay, I can settle for different rarities--but I don't want a Gold "egg" to be as hard to get as a CB Gold, especially if these are going to be non-tradeable. I'd much rather spend time looking for Golds who can breed more Golds than a Gold "egg" I can only sort.

Perhaps a larger selection than just three eggs at a time could be available? I doubt these would require an AP--I imagine if they were discarded, they would simply disappear into the database for their codes to be reused?

I think the easiest way to avoid any confusion about what can or can't be acquired in the Cave would be to have an explanation on the 'rock' view page.

EXAMPLE:

This rock is painted to look like a Rosebud dragon egg. The Rosebud dragon was the valentine day dragon for 2011. The dragon can be bred during the valentine event, but can not be found in the Cave.

EXAMPLE 2:

This rock is painted to look like a Green dragon egg. Hatchable Green dragon eggs can be found in the Forest or Volcano biomes.

...again, I am not talking about people thinking the rocks will hatch. I am thinking about people being confused why they are stones that are painted like dragon eggs that (as far as they can see) don't exist. xd.png

I'm sorry, I seem to be really bad at communicating today. Let me try with an example:

You're new to Dragon Cave. You pick up a Rosebud rock. You know you can't hatch it, but you like the stone and you start to hang out in the cave because you want the corresponding dragon egg. It never shows up (obviously). You end up confused.

I don't think the potential for confusion is a huge issue, for what it's worth, but I do think it's there. tongue.gif

[ Edit: Small wording tweak just because I'm paranoid at this point. xd.png ]

"This biome would only be available to those with a bronze trophy or higher, to avoid confusion."

I thought that would take care of it, but I guess it could still be confusing. Any suggestions?

I think the easiest way to avoid any confusion about what can or can't be acquired in the Cave would be to have an explanation on the 'rock' view page.

EXAMPLE:

This rock is painted to look like a Rosebud dragon egg. The Rosebud dragon was the valentine day dragon for 2011. The dragon can be bred during the valentine event, but can not be found in the Cave.

EXAMPLE 2:

This rock is painted to look like a Green dragon egg. Hatchable Green dragon eggs can be found in the Forest or Volcano biomes.

I thought I wouldn't add this, because what will it show for new releases? And then that would have to be added to all the dragons.

I still haven't decided on rarities/no rarities.

Edited by Meg_752

Hmm, that might work. I've got to admit that as a person who near-obsessively looks up everything I find it difficult to have a grasp on whether that would really help. xd.png Let's assume it does (let's assume "this dragon can be bred but not obtained as a CB" is easily understood; this would then also take care of shimmers and avatars, for example) and call it a day. user posted image

That wouldn't take care of GoNs. I just thought they wouldn't have a description.

*snip*

I would also like the option of the dragons you have possibly giving birth to two eggs, one real and one petrified. I get messy gold eggs all the time, and I like the egg sprite, but hate the adult sprites (hatchie sprites are fine). It would save competition because even as rocks, I'm sure people would still want "shiny" rocks. I'd like to be able to produce my own frozen shiny egg sprites.

I decided to make them rocks, unavailable from real dragons. They aren't petrified, they're actually not eggs at all.

*snip*

It wouldn't make sense for the "eggs" to be of different rarities or only able to be collected during certain times, as they are all painted. The only thing I could see would having holidays either very rare of unavailable unless it was around the season. It's very difficult to find Halloween accessories in January, which would be the RP reasoning--I don't see very many artists decorating for Valentine's Day now!

Agreed. They should be more rare out of season.

The simplest solution to new release eggs is not to have them drop in the frozen biome until after TJ's grow up.

I think Cinnamins's idea wouldn't be a bad idea even if the frozen biome is not available until bronze trophy. In fact, with her idea perhaps the frozen biome would be not-confusing enough that newbies could have access too. Plus, it would give them some information about the breeds they're finding that they might like to know.

I still haven't decided on rarities/no rarities. I might add a poll.

Polls aren't allowed in suggestions any more. TJ said they cannot give a sensible view from the players as so few people take part. He said he prefers to actually read what we say !

I'd love it to be kind of 'breedable' (too or just), not actually bred but simply originated from existing dragons and linked to them (just like bitten vampires are credited to the individual who bit them). They could e.g. be sth like a collaborative work of two dragons, if both are of the same species they create thier species, if they're of different this could be one of these two breeds randomly(just like with breeding).

Because dragons tend to like treasures and also might be sort of proud of their own species, they might be interested in some creative work and surrounding themselves with replicas of their precious eggs. I think DC dragons are somehow between animals and humans so they might be capable of crafting and referencing from existing objects.

Or they could sitll simply connect the broken shell after their offspring hatches from it.

Edited by Aniusia483

I'd love it to be kind of 'breedable' (too or just), not actually bred but simply originated from existing dragons and linked to them (just like bitten vampires are credited to the individual who bit them). They could e.g. be sth like a collaborative work of two dragons, if both are of the same species they create thier species, if they're of different this could be one of these two breeds randomly(just like with breeding).

Because dragons tend to like treasures and also might be sort of proud of their own species, they might be interested in some creative work and surrounding themselves with replicas of their precious eggs. I think DC dragons are somehow between animals and humans so they might be capable of crafting and referencing from existing objects.

Or they could sitll simply connect the broken shell after their offspring hatches from it.

These are rocks. No shell, no breeding... if they come from the - um - rockfilled biome, how would a dragon have painted them.

These are rocks. No shell, no breeding... if they come from the - um - rockfilled biome, how would a dragon have painted them.

The fact they're not to be assigned to dragons from your cave anyhow is a FLAW to me.

I KNOW they're rocks in this suggestion. But I'd still prefer them to be somehow originated from particular dragons I own.

I'd rather kill a bred egg just for the sake of having my egg sprites assigned to my dragons somehow to be honest. Be it a killed dragon egg, 'glued' shell after hatching, or painted/enchanted rocks.

Perhaps the best sollution for the possibility of collecting egg sprites would be just like it is with obtaining dragons: either catching from cave (rocks) and getting them from your dragons (bred frozen egg/'glued' shell or painted by chosen dragons from your scroll). So noone actually has to kill to get the sprite, but also noone has to hunt or have them not assigned to their dragons to get the sprite. Good for most of possible gameplay preferences.

I'm just making a suggestion to a suggestion. I DID get the idea from the main post.

The fact they're not to be assigned to dragons from your cave anyhow is a FLAW to me.

I KNOW they're rocks in this suggestion. But I'd still prefer them to be somehow originated from particular dragons I own.

I'd rather kill a bred egg just for the sake of having my egg sprites assigned to my dragons somehow to be honest. Be it a killed dragon egg, 'glued' shell after hatching, or painted/enchanted rocks.

Perhaps the best sollution for the possibility of collecting egg sprites would be just like it is with obtaining dragons: either catching from cave (rocks) and getting them from your dragons (bred frozen egg/'glued' shell or painted by chosen dragons from your scroll). So noone actually has to kill to get the sprite, but also noone has to hunt or have them not assigned to their dragons to get the sprite. Good for most of possible gameplay preferences.

I'm just making a suggestion to a suggestion. I DID get the idea from the main post.

Yeah, well, the thing is a lot of people don't like having to "kill" the potential hatchling inside the egg for the egg sprite. I believe that's why the initial "just freeze a bred/caught egg" has never been implemented.

Maybe the rocks are painted that way to deter other dragons that prey on eggs from getting the real egg. Like vampires. I can sort of imagine them biting on the, uhm, egg colored rock and then getting frustrated enough to just go away.

In that sense it would make a sensible explanation as to why they exist in the first place AND can be caught without some players feeling guilty.

Also there is already a "recreate egg from broken shells" thread. You could perhaps post there.

ETA: I don't like catching random rocks from the cave. I'm expecting eggs, not rocks. If there is a separate biome for rocks that is fine. But not in the main cave itself.

Edited by ylangylang

Well then either your dragons have SERIOUS medical issues (if they regularly pass stones) or this suggestion is just not for you wink.gif

Seriously I LOVE this idea as it is fresh and new and very cute.

Someone mentioned somewhere higher up that there could be a dragon breed associated with painting rocks to look like dragon eggs (maybe to better hide their own eggs, or to appease/deceive those mysterious mammals who always come and steal their young...) which even would EXPLAIN the egg-stone cave.

And if I really feel the need to bind those stones to my scroll emotionally I'll describe a couple of MY dragons so they are the artists behind these little beauties biggrin.gif

Hmm, limits on individual sprites?

If each player can only have 1 of each then "instantly frozen/no trading" makes sense. ie: you spot an "this egg resembles a glowing stone" rock and already have a Moonstone, you will only be able to pick up the new one if it's a Sunstone.

If each player can have as many as they can catch of each, then a way to trade them may need to be implemented. Otherwise there are too many eggs with shared descriptions so how do you know if the rock you're picking up is the one you wanted? Alternatively, the idea of showing the pictures of the "rocks" would negate a need for trading; because you would only click on the ones you wanted regardless of how many you had.

Also, Jazeki, we had a proposal for petrified eggs which wasn't entirely well received because it implies that there was a dragon inside the egg that dies. One of the things I love about this painted rocks that look just like dragon eggs idea is that we get the egg sprites to keep without any question of dead hatchlings. They were never real eggs, so no harm to baby dragons, but they look just the same as the real eggs.

Ah. I recall that thread vaguely. Regardless, I still support the idea. It just seems a little strange that they have to be called rocks when we have the Festival of Eggs every year.

OK - so - maybe when you want one, you click a dragon of the breed you hope for, to go to the rock biome with you and pick a rock ?

OR a dragon gets a BSA to paint rocks, and you have to click its BSA to go there ? ETA - Stones, maybe ? xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

Why couldn't dragon produce 'gullet stones' (dragon version 'casting' that eagles cough out or 'kidney stones')?

I like the concept of rocks that could be painted and collected.

How about a BSA that adds colors using breathing fire on the egg...or after inhaling colorful powders or flower petals the BSA dragon then sneezes on the rock. Fire, flower petals and powders would produce different colors.