pudding

Avengers/Thor AU

I was curious if anyone would be interested in an Avengers AU. It's been a while since I've done something with that and it was a lot of fun when I did it before.

I've got a couple of basic ideas but I'd like to see if anyone is interested first or possibly has ideas themselves. I enjoy playing Loki the most so Thor AUs are great but I've been branching out more into Tony Stark, Bruce Banner and Steve Rogers territory so Avengers AUs are fun too. I also love mythology-inspired AUs based more on Norse myths and things set in other time periods so those are fun!

Edited by pudding

Oh yes! I was hoping you'd pop up since I always love Avengers-themed stuff with you!

Okay, let's get to business. Do you want to focus on Avengers as a whole or just a few characters? I'm fine with either as long as I get to play Loki.

Well, you know me, Hawkguy's always my first pick.

So...maybe some avdentures of Clint trying to kill Loki out of unadulterated hatred?

And then, like, Loki realizes they both have the worst pasts ever and they sorta bond

"Your brother sucks too? Mine almost killed me!"

It'd be hilarious

That sounds great! So this would be post Avengers but we'd need a reason for Loki to be back on Earth. We could go with escaping which would result in everyone being after his ass, or we could go with banishment like Thor. Personally, I like the idea of escaping since it gives him a bit more of a reason to try to bond with Clint if everyone else is already after him as well. What do you think?

Alright, cool! I'm not sure where to start, though. Should we start with the last scene in Avengers where he returns to Asgard with Thor?

I'd say like a few weeks after so he'd have time to escape and the team has dispersed throughout the world and gone back to their lives.

Loki's just gonna show up in Clint's tiny apartment and just be like "you're the world's best marksman? You don't even have a real house!"

((Gotcha. Going to have him start in Clint's apartment building, then.))

Two hours. It had been two hours since his escape and he had only just managed to return to Midgard. Without the Bifrost, it had been more difficult to get back to Earth but he knew of many secret passages between the realms. It was both for better and good that the Bifrost had not made a full recovery yet since it meant that he could ensure a large army of angry Asgardains would not hound after him immediately. That didn't mean that the return to Midgard was graceful in the slightest, since it had taken great deals of effort to return there and even then, much had changed on the other side of the portal. Midgardians were always making and destroying things so was it really much of a surprise when he found himself in a tiny, cramped building filled with multiple living cubes that humans called apartments instead of a field? Only centuries before, the land would have been uncultured and pure. Now he was trapped in a small stairway that smelled very unsanitary. It almost made him think why anyone would be remotely interested in such a realm when the inhabitants were practically hatchlings and destroyed everything they touched. Humanity truly was repulsive.

But, admittedly, it was better than prison. He quickly strode up the stairs, deciding to find a window where he could see exactly where he had landed and how much the area around him had changed since the last time he used the portal. His clothes were much less flashy than the outfit he had used before but still were inappropriate to wear. He'd need to seek out new clothes and mimic the appearance of someone else so that he could more easily blend in. After all, he didn't want the Avengers on his trail just yet. He needed time before that large green beast was set on his heels. The others he did not care about so much but as long as they commanded the brute, he had to be equally wary of them.

Inside the apartment, a claws clacking on tile sounded from the kitchen. Soon a one-eyed, yellow dog stood before Loki, his tail wagging. It wasn't the purple man, but it was still a man. And that made him happy.

Clutching several large paper bags in his arms, Clint ambled towards the door. Taking multiple trips to bring groceries in was for losers. As he fumbled for the keys, he struggled to keep the bags in his hands. The door was eventually opened, and the archer walked into his tiny apartment. Lucky! C'mere boy, 'm home! Clinton Franics Barton didn't act like an Avenger on his days off. Nobody knew him by his face, so living a normal life worked well for him. He even had a dog, and none of the other Avengers could boast that. Just a normal guy with a pretty normal life. Other than the fact he was the world's greatest marksman and killed people for a living. But that was aside the point. He was an average guy, compared to everyone else. He wasn't a god, didn't have any special drug in him, and wasn't a super-genius. Years of brutal training and thievery made him an Avenger, not any short-cuts lile the rest of the team.

Loki glanced down at the cheerful animal approached him, apparently completely trusting of him despite the fact the rest of the realm did not. What a curious animal. Asgard had plenty of hunting dogs but they were much leaner and less cheerful around him. They always seemed to like Thor but never him. Not he knew why, but most likely it had something to do with his scent. Bending down, he gingerly reached out, unsure of how to handle the creature. He always saw Thor patting the dogs' heads but the movement seemed foreign to him so it was all he could do to awkwardly pat his head twice.

Suddenly, the door opened and a familiar voice rang out from nearby. He was not in a place where he could see the door but the voice was one he remembered very distinctly. Was this the archers home? And this his dog? He looked at the one-eyed, yellow creature then slowly climbed to his feet. Why not simply take out the Avengers one by one? The Earth's mightiest heroes were hardly a problem if he wove his web about each of them individually. He did not attempt to kill them previously and that was clearly his mistake. He had to be much more brutal this time around. Standing idly where he was, he waited for the archer to move further into the apartment so he could see him. He was tired from escaping earlier and his powers drained but when it came to combat, he still had brute strength. He disliked resorting to that but compared to mortals, he was sure he could do plenty of damage.

At the sound of his owner, Lucky ran out of the room Loki was in to greet the archer. Clint plopped the bags down on his kitchen table and sighed. That was over with. He wouldn't need to get groceries again for at least another week. That was good. SHIELD payed a good bit but he didn't really like spending money. Growing up penniless made a man price-conscious. With his dog watching excitedly, Clint got to work on putting the food away. A new bag of coffee, some doughnuts, some ground beef, chips, the usual stuff for a young man. The bag of dog food was the only thing that ended up being left on the table. Ya hungry, bud? I bet'cha are. C'mon, let's get' ha somthin' t' eat.

After waiting a few moments but realizing the archer was not entering the tiny room he was in right away, Loki moved towards the open door the dog had run out of. He had two choices, at this point. He could sneak out and attempt to take the archer out immediately, or he could talk first. It was a risk there but it seemed to be more fitting of his character. After all, this was the archer's home. He highly doubted he toted around his bow in his own abode so, with his superior strength, he would have the upper hand anyway. He could afford a talk. "Your dog is very trusting of strangers," Loki declared as he pushed the door open and stepped out of the other room. "Usually, dogs guard their homes better against strangers."

((That's not really up to me. What do you think pudding?))

Clint's calm demeanor evaporated at the sound of a familiar voice. The bag of dog food was deopped on the ground and tiny, dry pellets of food scattered throughout the kitchen floor. But he didn't move to attack. Instead, he held his head in his hands. It ain't real...You know it. Jus' like all th' other times..chill out man. Had there been other times? PTSD sorta did that. But when Clint looked up, the god that haunted his nightmares was still there. He staggered backwards in an effort to get more space between them and slipped on the spilled dog food. Crashing onto his back with a grunt, he grimaced. So this is how he'd die. Lucky, who had been munching the spilled food, walked over to Clint after he fell and started licking the archer's face. Yeah, talk about a bad guard dog.

((I think I would prefer a 1x1. Sorry.))

That was unusual. He was expecting a larger reaction instead of just flat-out surrender. Violence, perhaps? At least some yelling. "I can assure you, I exist," he replied, stepping closer to the archer. His footwork was much better so he only had to kick some of the dog food away and did not fall onto his back as Clint had. "You are quite the fool," he declared, coming to a halt in front of him. He paused briefly, considering everything before turning back to Clint. "I wonder how difficult it would be to to infiltrate SHIELD using your identity. Perhaps after I kill you, I should go after the red-haired woman who was so concerned about you before."

Clint remained on his back, panting from a mix of obvious anxiety and distress. He appeared fully able to get up, but his panic kept him pinned. Go on n' do it then. Shut yer mouth and get on with it. For emphasis, he spread his arms out so his stomach was unprotected. This was a trick Clint hadn't used in a while. He knew Loki had no projectiles on hand, so he'd have to get close to try to kill him. Although he didn't appear it, Clint played dirty. He grew up in a carnival of crooks. Playing dirty was how he survived when he was young. As soon as Loki got close enough, Clint sprang to tackle the god. A hidden knife was pulled from his pocket and flicked open. If he was going to die, he was going to go out fighting.

Impatient, weren't these mortals? Loki sighed faintly but stepped closer anyway. With no weapons on hand, he'd have to resort fully on his fists. It was brutish but he could always throw him out a window. That seemed to break humans well enough. As he reached down to grab the archer, he was surprised to find him suddenly leaping upwards, a weapon in his hand. He quickly reeled backwards, bringing his arms up to cover his face and neck. With no magical energy left to shield, he was stuck defending his body with his his arms. With the additional weight, he found himself slipping backwards on the dog pellets and crashing to the ground, Clint on top of him. Scowling, he quickly aimed a punch at the archer's face, trying to knock him away.

Taking the violence in stride, Clint pushed further against Loki. Clint didn't move as he was punched, although he grimaced at a fresh cut from the sheer force Loki had used. The archer held the knife against the god's neck as soon as he managed to pin him down. One reason, gimme one reason why I shouldn't kill ya right here. Glowering at the criminal, he strained against the urge to murder Loki flat-out. It was clearly taxing on him. After all you've done t' me, I- His speech was cut short by an agonized scream as his eyes flashed a flourescent blue. He dropped the knife in favor of cradling his head. This, unfortunately, had become rather common for him. SHIELD hadn't given him missions for weeks because of it. Reports were coming from Selvig and several other agents who had been corrupted. Migranes-no, worse than migranes, black-out sessions followed by blinding migranes had been plaguing those affected.

((DRAMAAA~))

Loki remained perfectly still, if not lifting his chin slightly as the blade was pushed up against his neck. Thoughts raced through his head, as he tried to think of a way out of the situation. Did he have enough magic left to form a small barrier? Could he wrestle the knife away without tearing his own throat? As it turned out, he didn't need help. The archer suddenly dropped the knife, giving him time to snatch it from him and wiggle out from under him. He had seen the flash of blue-a side effect, perhaps? Was he still under his scepter's spell? He could be useful, then. After a moment of consideration, Loki tucked flicked the knife closed and tucked it into his vest, approaching the archer again, this time with more care. "The control is still there, isn't it?" He asked, slightly out of breath. "Do you remember what you did?"

Everything. Clint bowed his head, his fingers digging into his hair at the throbbing in his skull. He, unlike most of the others, had been fighting it for much longer. Many other afflicted SHIELD agents had already regressed back into mindless soldiers. When he looked up at Loki, his eye color flickered violently from a deep sapphire to an all-too-familiar glowing crystal. 'S been comin' back fer weeks now. 'N 's gettin' worse. Everything he said was strained, like he didn't want to answer Loki. Only when studied closey was it revealed he was shaking. Everything was taking much more effort than it seemed.

Well, that was good. The scepter tended to cause memory loss, from his experience, when the control was revoked. He'd never had someone forcefully remove themselves from control, though, during his tests on the alien soldiers. Perhaps the archer was in a state of regression, gradually losing control again. "Why don't you just give in?" He asked, adopting a much more gentle tone. "It will be easier. The pain will go away very quickly."

Because... Why didn't he just give in? That option sounded a lot nicer the more he thought about it. To make everything stop...to let somebody else make all the hard choices. Maybe if he had let it happen, everything in his life wouldn't be so miserable. Images flickered through his head, things that had traumatized him for years. His parent's funeral, all the times he had suffered through the cold without food, being left for dead by his brother and those he had originally considered family...It had been so hard. But it had made him strong. Slowly did one of his hands slide to the oppisite a to dig his nails into a jagged scar. Although he had a near-identical one on his other arm, this scar was the first one he thought of. Because everythin' I've ever done has been th' hard way, n' I'm gonna keep it that way.

Loki's gaze gradually followed the archer's hand to the scar on his arms. Well, he certainly didn't remember inflicting those but it seemed like an encouragement not to give up to the lingering mind control. Why? What importance did those scars have? As long as they were being talkative, Loki decided to press a little more, trying to work some answers out of the archer. He had the upper hand now with the knife so he could always kill him later. "How did you get those scars?" He asked, looking down at the man he had been in a death lock with only moments before. Perhaps if he talked him down from the importance of the marks, he could encourage the mind control to settle back in. If it worked, perhaps he could do the same with all of his former soldiers and form his own army again. He would need his scepter back for full control but what could SHIELD do with it? It was alien technology, hardly of any use to them.

Clint strained to answer, biting his lip to hold back his words. A stuttering, ovbiously forced response was eventually choked out. B-Barney. The name itself clearly had bad memories tied to it; this was evident just by his expression. Beads of sweat slowly trickled down his face. He left me...left me to die. Pinned me to a tree, beat me half dead, and left me there to rot. The general recollection of the incident was clearly taxing. Clint had some baggage, but didn't whine about it like Loki. Because of a manipulative weasel...j-just like...just like you Clint refused to recognize that Barney himself had chosen to attempt to kill Clint. Though, Clint and his brother had basically been taken into a cult of thieves and killers.

Edited by shadow_claw