Laugh

Sort by Generation-Breed

I've been wanting to suggest this for awhile now. I feel the current sort options aren't lineage project friendly. What I mean is there isn't any indication of what generation a dragon is other than clicking on it. With so many lineage projects a user may take on out of the possible hundreds or thousands of dragons on a single scroll, keeping track of which exact dragon is which is painfully difficult. Even with naming it's difficult to remember, "Hey InsertNameHere is a InsertGenerationHere EG from InsertBreedHere x InsertBreedHere InsertLineageTypeHere".

The way I'm proposing how this works is by showing the highest generation on the front page, even if it's a messy dragon with 50+ generations that shows up first.

"What do you meany by [sorting by Generation-Breed]"?

Well it'd still be a mess if you had 10s of 2g's that are different breeds. To help simplify that down by grouping generation AND by breed it will keep it a bit neater than having those breeds spread around all over the place.

"Uhhh... How would you tell when it's a different generation that is being shown?"

Well I was thinking that hatchlings would be the last sprites to be shown to mark the end of that generation. If there are 2+ generation gaps then you would just see a hatchling until the next highest generation starts. For example let's say you have a 19th generation dragon (an adult and a hatchie), but the next highest generation is a 14g. First you would see Adult dragon (19g), Hatchling (19g), Adult dragon (14g). If that 14g was a hatchie and no adult dragon form, then it would just be a continuation of hatchies until an adult appears. If you don't have a hatchling to represent that generation then you'd have to start shooting in the dark and feel your way out. :3 I could also see people breeding an extra of that generation and freezing when the egg hatches to help fill a gap.

With this you can set up what generation you want to go with a lineage project and later on count how close you are to that goal. If you wanted to go all the way to 8g EG Checker then you would know you need 128 CB dragons for that base. That would be 64 2g's, but since it involves 2 different breeds you would only need to find 32 2g's of that breed. Not only do you know what breed/generation you're looking for you would know what gender you're looking for as well. That means if you see the same breed sorted together, but different gender then you know the other gender is not the dragon you should be viewing! It sounds like I've given more emphasis for EGs, but this can work with spirals/stairsteps as well. You would just go find the generation, then look for the breed. Once that is done you can go to the last couple of pages and look for a CB of that breed to find a potential mate. Unless you already bred it with a CB already then you wouldn't really need to do this, but for an example...

Example: 5g stairstep Imperial Fleshcrowne from Fleshcrowne x Fever Wyvern. You would look into the 5g section and start looking for a Fleshcrowne. Once you find it you open up another tab in one of the last couple of pages to look for a CB Fever Wyvern as a mate.

Or you can keep a spreadsheet for lineages.... xd.png

Yeah sure, and keep it up to date for all your several thousand dragons, or even *get started* creating one xd.png

I'm all in for a sort by generation number. Especially great when looking for caveborns and EatW happens to be unavailable for server hiccups or somesuch.

Yeah sure, and keep it up to date for all your several thousand dragons, or even *get started* creating one xd.png

I'm all in for a sort by generation number. Especially great when looking for caveborns and EatW happens to be unavailable for server hiccups or somesuch.

I saw that coming, and did make one early on ! But I don't know about others - I have so many lineages going, it wouldn't help that much to view by generation - I'd still have to check which of those 4th gens was the one I needed to do next... xd.png My spread sheet I can sort all sorts of ways when I need to.

Actually, the best way to go about this is still to get a tagging system implemented by tj - just tag your second gens with 2g, your lineage projects by name, then filter by tag(s) to find what you need exactly. I have a lineage oroject spanning many different breeds, and it is mandatory I don't reuse any of my cbs.

The best way for me to acvompkish this would be to just tag them "used for project".

I suppose I could live with tabs, too, for this - but it makes dragons that span multiple lineages (my gold x magi intersects with my cs project, but only 3 dragons or so. Same for my ssbn vs. my cs project. Especiallly the cb metallics...) very hard to sort into, as I would be hard pressed to decide in which group to sort that specific one. (is it cb metals, ssbn, cs, gm?)

The problem with spreadsheets and tags is that, while they could get the job done (and I do support getting a tagging system, definitely), they still don't help me with the hundreds of dragons I haven't had time to sort/identify and may not have time to sort/identify for months (during which time I may accumulate some more hundreds of dragons). The ability to have an automatic dual-level sort system that included sorting by generation would be the best possible solution for me.

Maybe a mix of automatic and manual tags would help. The system adds tags like breed name and generation number, and the player adds tags like a project name or contest name or somesuch, and then the player could filter and sort by those tags.

E.g. I could imagine looking for all of my 2nd gen Thunders from project Sanderstrack (checker of Thunders and Sunsongs) by selecting the tags "Thunder" (automagically added) and "Sanderstrack" (added by me) and "2nd gen" (automagically added) which would show me all of the Thunders in question.

Deselecting "Thunder" would show me the according Sunsongs from the same project, too.

I don't recall how far I've been with that project? I'd select "Sanderstrack" and sort by "# Generations", scroll down and get instantly the dragon with the highest generation number of that project.

Now wouldn't that be awesome? biggrin.gif

Tags should be easy to implement. As it is right now, all of our dragons have existing tags for Age, Breed, Breeding Cooldown, Name, Stage, and BSA.

For example: When you temp sort your scroll by breed, the dragons are sorted first by breed, and then by age. The age tag is created as soon as the egg of that species is put on your scroll. So, I see no reason why we can't make custom tags for ourselves, which can add the extra tags to the current drop-down menu.

Edit: What about the dead dragons in lineages? Would they count towards the generation tag too? Only asking because the dead dragons now keep their lineages.

Edited by xeyla