avoralei

Thoughts on wyrms

When I first heard the word wyrm I thought of worms and other slimy things. It wasn't until I joined Dragon Cave that I found out that they were a type of dragon, or is there another meaning for 'wyrm' as well?

Wyrms are thought to be lesser dragons or what will eventually turn into fully fledged dragons? I've heard so many stories on it.

One of the meanings of wyrm I've known, other than the legless dragon kind, was just another term for "dragon" in general. o3o

Wyrm sounds like a combination of Wyvern and Worm to me, so I always though it was around the lines of a dragon with no legs and arms but maybe some wings.

When I first heard the word wyrm I thought of worms and other slimy things. It wasn't until I joined Dragon Cave that I found out that they were a type of dragon, or is there another meaning for 'wyrm' as well?

Where are wyrms on DC? I see only Lindwurms and Wyverns.

Wiki says, it's one of the "Dragon Sub-Types not featured on the site" - so the answer is, nowhere yet laugh.gif I suspect there are some in Dragon Requests? (I'm rarely ever looking into that section)

To me, Wyrms are subterranean dragons that have no limbs, and have strong, thick scales to protect them as they burrow/travel through their tunnels.

user posted image

(This is not my art; I claim no rights to it. I'm just using it as an example of how I view them.)

To me, wyrm has always been just another term for dragon.

"Wyrm" is just another word for the dragons of European legend. They were usually depicted as evil and violent creatures - the word had a very negative connotation. Welsh folklore was kinder to them than other cultures in that general region were (see the legends surrounding the Red and White Dragons on the Welsh flag). Asia was particularly kind to them, depicting them as benevolent creatures who could aid (or hinder) mortals if they felt it was necessary.

Wyrm is an old and rustic term, associated with the more powerful dragons of the time. In Old English, the word literally means "serpent". In Old Norse, the word was "ormr". In Old (High) German, the words was "wurm". Lindwurms (or lyndwurms, lindwyrms, etc.) are German in origin.

It should be noted here that, traditionally, Lindwurms are gargantuan, wingless, bi-pedal snakes (in essence). The word is cognate with the Old Norse "linnormr" or "constrictor snake". On DC we've given them wings - which is perfectly fine, because as the legends evolve so do the dragons.

There are a few famous dragons in Germanic and Norse lore that are specifically Lyndwurms. Such as Níðhöggr (or Nidhogg) who gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasil, the world-tree. It's name probably refers to it's task of chewing up people who were guilty of murder, adultery, oath-breaking, or other crimes of dishonor. He's not the only one down there gnawing at Yggdrasil, but I can't remember the other ones so that's the one you're gonna hear about tongue.gif

The reason it's so often mixed up with Wyverns (in my opinion) is that the Lindwurm's legs are in the front, while the Wyvern's legs are in the back. There are lindwurms in some myths that are called wyverns in others. This for example, is referred to as a Wyvern even though it fits the criteria of a Lindwurm.

Welp, thanks for reading my ridiculous ramble - I'm just really passionate about dragons ;-;

"Wyrm" is just another word for the dragons of European legend. They were usually depicted as evil and violent creatures - the word had a very negative connotation. Welsh folklore was kinder to them than other cultures in that general region were (see the legends surrounding the Red and White Dragons on the Welsh flag). Asia was particularly kind to them, depicting them as benevolent creatures who could aid (or hinder) mortals if they felt it was necessary.

Wyrm is an old and rustic term, associated with the more powerful dragons of the time. In Old English, the word literally means "serpent". In Old Norse, the word was "ormr". In Old (High) German, the words was "wurm". Lindwurms (or lyndwurms, lindwyrms, etc.) are German in origin.

It should be noted here that, traditionally, Lindwurms are gargantuan, wingless, bi-pedal snakes (in essence). The word is cognate with the Old Norse "linnormr" or "constrictor snake". On DC we've given them wings - which is perfectly fine, because as the legends evolve so do the dragons.

There are a few famous dragons in Germanic and Norse lore that are specifically Lyndwurms. Such as Níðhöggr (or Nidhogg) who gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasil, the world-tree. It's name probably refers to it's task of chewing up people who were guilty of murder, adultery, oath-breaking, or other crimes of dishonor. He's not the only one down there gnawing at Yggdrasil, but I can't remember the other ones so that's the one you're gonna hear about tongue.gif

The reason it's so often mixed up with Wyverns (in my opinion) is that the Lindwurm's legs are in the front, while the Wyvern's legs are in the back. There are lindwurms in some myths that are called wyverns in others. This for example, is referred to as a Wyvern even though it fits the criteria of a Lindwurm.

Welp, thanks for reading my ridiculous ramble - I'm just really passionate about dragons ;-;

That... was... impressive. At least it confirms my initial impression, which was that Wyrm is just another word for dragons, albeit antiquated. Thanks for the info dump! smile.gif