Fortune86

PLEASE CLOSE ~ DEAD

"Director, I'd like to try and see what lengthwaves of energy Ghost can pass through, or allow to pass through him. We already know all the standard ones, but we would like to see what happens with energy generated by other metahumans such as yourself."

Ghost watched Sheffield carefully from his seat across the room. He wondered what exactly the doctor had in mind.

"In short Director, we'd like to pit your spirit form against his intangible one."

Ghost raised an eyebrow. Spirit form? Was this going to be like the Manhunter thing all over again?

Edited by Fortune86

"Seems like it." Pythia agreed, she was still a little put out that her vision hadn't shown her the interrupting party.

"One good thing though, we know coffee and donut gophers get us to where we need to be." Then again, Pythia mused - she didn't see any coffee or donut boxes in her vision, Guess we deposited them somewhere along the way.

Sheila smiled and rolled her eyes toward her hairline. "Good brain" she said and patted her own head.

She stopped her car in front of the Baxter Institute and tilted her head neck-crack style without actually cracking it.

"Showtime."

“Very well.” Sophia spoke into the intercom. “I will be there in more or less ten minutes.”

With her final words spoken the director greeted those left in the gym and left for her living quarters. Sophia took a quick shower and then dressed herself in her normal black clothes. Her clothes were closely related to that of the military but it was mostly in black and a few different stitching here and there. On the left chest side of her uniform was a tag stitched into the fabric with the words Director on it. On the right side was a tag that had her alias name Spirit on it.

Satisfied that she looked professional and neat Sophia headed towards the fourth floor.

((Fortune you call let her enter the room if you want.))

The scientists were pretty much ignoring Ghost now. They had convened into a huddle at the largest console and were rabbiting on to each other in a language Ghost didn't know. Strictly speaking it was English, but Ghost couldn't understand a damn word they said.

After about ten minutes or so the doors to the examination room swished open and the Director stepped through. Ghost stood up when he saw her, wondering they were finally going to get something done.

"Ah Director" said Sheffield as he stepped through his group of assistants. "So glad you could join us."

Edited by Fortune86

“Pleasure Doctor.” Sophia spoke as she started to walk through the room examining their equipment with hands behind her back. She had a fair idea on certain things seeing that she regularly requested the doctor to explain things to her in easier terms but it will always be hard to understand these things anyway.

“So what would you like us to do?” She spoke as she came to a pause near Ghost while looking at the doctor.

"I would like you to assume your spirit form Director" said Sheffield. "And see if Ghost here can pass through it while intangible" he continued while gesturing to Ghost.

"We know that Ghost can pass through matter of all kinds, but only certain types of energy. Spiritual energy is one of the hardest to access, I don' there are many who share your ability Director, but it may be worth knowing for future events."

"In otherwords if I end up going after someone with a similar power to the Director, you want to see if I'd succeed?" asked Ghost.

Edited by Fortune86

“I believe that is what they want to figure out Ghost.” Sophia spoke now making her way to a more clear part of the lab. “Very well.”

Sophia took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Everyone fell silent except for the buzzing and clanking sounds of the labs equipment. The director could feel her body changing within like when someone is in a state of dreaming. It all felt real but in truth nothing was real. Within mere seconds a duplicate like form stood before the director. Her spirit is almost a duplicate of the director except for the glowing aura and semi transparency.

“I am ready.” Spirit spoke now moving a bit closer to the doctor and Ghost.

Ghost watched the Director carefully. He'd met several super powered humans over the years, but never one with gifts similar to his own. When she closed her eyes Ghost studied her face, looking for any clue that it might reveal.

While her expression barely changed a second Brightham appeared in front of the first, identical but transparent and with some kind of mystial glow. The 'second' Brightham opened her eyes and moved forward, stating that she was reading to begin.

"Can you hold out your arm?" asked Ghost. If this went pear shaped in any way, he didn't want to cause further problems by trying a full body pass. Last thing he wanted was to end up fused together or something.

Edited by Fortune86

Spirit didn’t react at first to Ghost’s request. Mostly because she was also unsure of the outcome of them touching but this was part of their research so it had to be done sooner or later. With a straight face Spirit extended her arm wondering what will happen between them.

((I’m going to use her alias Spirit when she is in her spirit form and Sophia/Director when in her human form... I just make it easier for me to remember.))

Ghost let his body fade into intangibility. Unlike the Director there was no visual clue that his body had altered in anyway. He looked as solid as the floor he stood on. Stepping forward he raised his own arm and let his fingers reach out for the Director's. They passed through without resistance.

"Did either of you feel anything?" asked Sheffield.

Ghost passed his fingers through Brightham's a second time.

"It's a bit like pins and needles."

Sheffield looked at the Director, waiting for her to comment.

Edited by Fortune86

“Mmm...” Spirit thought as she tried to feel any difference between her current form and body. “My spirit form doesn’t seem to feel anything which doesn’t surprise me. That is normal but what surprises me is that my body is reacting with goose bumps.” She spoke looking at her body standing there without any motion of any sort.

One of the assistant researchers pulled some paper out of a printer and handed it to Sheffield. The doctor read it carefully.

"Hmm. It appears that your ability trumps Ghost's Director. It seems that while you can pass through him, he would not otherwise be able to pass through you. Interesting."

Ghost stepped back and went solid again.

"So...what does that mean exactly?"

"If you were to encounter someone with spiritual powers, neither of you would be able to hurt each other, as you exist on different wavelengths of energy.

Edited by Fortune86

Most of the easy part was done. Entering and finding the lab - based on her vision - should be the last easy bit.

It all depended on what the interruption was how difficult the rest of their investigation was.

Getting out of the car, Pythia extended one set of donuts and coffees towards Rose. They would both need those shortly.

Now to get into character, a meek low-level intern on a standard coffee run.

The door opened without any trouble. Miraculously, there was no one at the front desk, either. Sheila scanned through the listing of whose lab was where quickly and swung her head toward Pythia.

"I'll go left, you go right" she told her, "Just get to Alderton's lab ASAP. If the door's locked when you get there, knock that 'shave and a haircut' knock and I'll let you in."

Alice awoke to the beeping of an alarm clock, blinking blearily beneath a white duvet. Light would have been coming through the windows if she hadn't been underground. Sitting up, she stretched and yawned. Due to her weak state, she was allotted a small amount extra of sleeping time. She rose and pulled on her uniform, then pulled a brush through her straight, long, brown hair. Then, after a glance at her schedule, she walked out of the door and toward the cafeteria. Alice looked down at what she was served, not at all turning her nose up at it. It wasn't tasty, but after what she'd been through, food was food. At least it was warm.

Sitting at a table, she quickly munched down, her eyes flitting about her surroundings in habit. She had learned to be cautious about where she was, from her imprisonment and her time on the streets. Another skill was eating time. Within five minutes, she had polished off her meal. She returned the plate and then set off toward the gym, pulling her hair back into a ponytail. Stepping into the elevator, she sighed and let her head rest against the cold metal wall.

The scientists went into a huddle again, talking about data and wavelengths. Over his shoulder Sheffield looked at Ghost and addressed him.

"Okay Ghost, that is all we want for now. Go back up to the common room and rest. We'll start you in the training room this afternoon."

Feeling rather exasperated by the whole thing Ghost turned on his heel, gave Brightham a nod of acknowledgement, and headed towards the elevator. When the doors opened he saw a woman with long light brown hair already inside. Stepping into the elevator beside her he asked a question.

"Going up or down?"

Edited by Fortune86

((I keep imagining Ghost as Quicksilver from X-Men: DOFP xd.png I love that guy...))

Alice looked toward the entrance as the lift halted. A guy around her age stepped inside, immediately asking a question. She had to think for a moment. "Five, so down," she said, stepping back so that she was in the corner. She made it look nonchalant, but it was defensive. The corner always provided the best protection. Her dark blue eyes swept down and up her new companion, and she looked to his face - sizing him up. "Are you in training too?" The brunette had only been at Cadmus for a week, and there were still new faces every time that she ventured out.

((FYI Ghost is only 17.))

So she was going to the gym. Ghost wondered if everyone started the day with a work out of some kind. Given that Cadmus wanted their agents in the best possible shape that was probably the case.

The woman stepped right back into the corner of the elevator, but Ghost paid the movement little heed. Some people just liked their personal space more than others, something he could relate to.

When she asked if he was still in training Ghost nodded.

"Yes, I just signed up a couple of days ago for this circus. Only really started this morning."

Alice nodded back. "I've been here a week. Haven't done too much yet, though." She subconsciously touched the bandage on her leg. "They take care of you, though," she murmured, eyes drifting toward the ground. That was something that she hadn't had for a long time. Cadmus was far from nurturing, but they fed, treated and trained her. Realising she was spacing off a bit, she snapped back to attention. Clearing her throat, she straightened. "I'm Alice. Or Hellfire. I don't know what to think of myself as... Anyway. What's your name?"

When her hand moved towards her leg Ghost instinctively watched it. Her leg was injured, causing him to wonder if that had happened at Cadmus or back out in the world. It had been explained to him that some recruits and agents, particulary those in the combat division, had tougher training regimes than others.

She asked about his name, causing him to shrug. he didn't seem the point of sharing birth names.

"They call me Ghost."

Alice wondered what his nickname meant. Hers referred to her ability with fire. Perhaps his referred to invisibility or something. It seemed sort of a cheesy, having nicknames. She didn't have much to lose if they knew her real name. Her family seemed to hate her, apart from John. Although she didn't want them to die. She crossed her arms. It didn't seem like he wanted to talk to her. That was okay. Some people were like that.

While the two of them stood in silence Ghost heard the facility wide intercom call out for more agents. As he listened a total of six names were called up to the second floor. It was a good thing there was more than one elevator or it would get really cramped. Still, even though he had only been at Cadmus a short while, he had only heard a call for two or three agents at a time. Why would they suddenly need six at once?

"Are there usually missions needing so many people?" he asked Hellfire, wondering if it had happened before during her week here.

Alice had taken to inspecting her arms, simply glancing down at them crossed over her chest. There were still bruises, but they had faded. The cuts were only scabs that were turning pink around the edges. When the intercom came on, she glanced up instinctively. Her brows furrowed. "I don't know," she admitted. "It must be something big..." She wondered whether it was because the heroes needed help or something. It must really be important. Cadmus' agents were extremely skilled, and a normal mission usually had two to three agents, perhaps one and a trainee. She leaned her elbows on the bars on either side of her. "Do you know how many others there are like us?" She enquired, looking at him. "Trainees, I mean."

"Not really. Like I said, I've only been here a short while. I've seen a few faces, but that's it."

He was speaking the truth. Ever since he had arrived he had been poked and prodded by one scientist after another. He'd seen the odd agent and recruit in passing, being able to tell them apart from the staff by lack of uniform, but he hadn't had a proper conversation with anyone yet. Hellfire was probably the first other recruit he'd said more than two words to.

Ghost didn't know exactly how large Cadmus was either. Being built underground it was impossible to tell just how big the facility was. For all he knew some floors stretched on for miles.