Fortune86

PLEASE CLOSE ~ DEAD

"Nah, it's fine" she assured her. Lavender wasn't exactly her favorite smell, but it certainly wasn't the worst in the world. Should she say that?

"I kinda prefer tea roses, myself" she tossed out.

((That's an idea.))

[i'll leave it up to you how they know each other outside smile.gif ]

"Maybe I should try tea roses next time I meditate." The reply was serious, though the next meditation period would have to be put on hold.

While the elevator made its way upwards, she speculated on the upcoming briefing.

"Wonder what fact-finding mission they need us for?" Based on the fact that both of them were Intelligence division, and no stealth or combat personnel were assigned, it was unlikely to be a mission in a 'hot-spot'.

Though going behind the proverbial lines wasn't completely out of the question.

((Maybe they had a couple college classes together?))

"Maybe they've got somebody they want us to shadow for a while?" she suggested. Wait... "No pun intended."

[sounds good to me smile.gif Fun fact: Both Iris' name and codename have Greek mythology roots. So she's the Rainbow Oracle of Delphi xd.png. Poke fun as needed tongue.gif]

Even though the pun was unintentional, it was still amusing. She considered the possibility.

"Maybe, though I'm not exactly shadow material." A glance down at her Greek-style dress would attest to that. Though a change of clothes was very easy to do on the way out.

The elevator dinged as it locked into place and the doors slid open.

"Well, let's go find out what they do want" Sheila suggested.

-

"Good morning, ma'am" she nodded respectfully to the staffer, "What's going on in the real world?"

“Please sit down” said the staff member. “Approximately forty minutes ago an employee of Baxter Research was abducted from the parking lot of the facility. Due to the nature of his research we believe he has been taken by someone who would use his work for harm. His name is Dr Henry Alderton.”

She passed a file containing Alderton’s photo, showing him to be a sandy haired man in his early forties, and some details of his work.

“He was experimenting with chemical reactions of the brain, focused mainly on those that gave us a sense of hope. Not only was he able to induce it, but supress it as well. To make matters worse, it has been reported that certain files and samples are missing from his laboratory as well.”

Sheila flipped quickly through the case notes. She couldn't see it in the picture, but she immediately imagined that the man had a wife and children, a little girl that loved him more than life.

"Any idea whether the missing materials were for induction or suppression?" she asked.

"Preliminary reports have not been forthcoming" said the staff member. "Alderton worked mostly alone. The lab can only confirm that items are missing because of discrepancies in the log system."

She looked at the two operatives in from of her.

"We want you to go to the facility and see what you can learn about Alderton's research. How it was adminstered and potential effects. Could it be distributed to the masses for example? We also want you to see if you can find any leads on Alderton, or on those who have taken him."

"If you should find Alterton, or his abductors, you must not engage. Contact Cadmus immediately and we will send a team to recover Alderton and his research."

((Once Rose and Pythia leave Cadmus, you two can play out the mission however you like. Just please bear in mind that actions have consquences.))

Sheila nodded, set the file back on the desk, stood laced her fingers together with her arms outstretched, palms facing the staffer. She looked seriously down at Pythia.

"Let's roll" she said, the quickly reconsidered, "Wait... First let's find you some normal clothes, then let's roll."

[understood. Since Rose/Shelia is the more experienced of the two - Iris will be following her lead.

That means basic actions - like arrival etc. can be assumed in posts.]

Taking in the information from the briefing, Pythia nodded in understanding of the mission. Now she knew why only Intelligence was involved, they needed more information before committing.

It was probably hoped that her 'reading' ability would provide a lead or two.

A quick stop off at the living quarters, so she could change into something less conspicuous, and then they could leave.

One advantage of the teleports on all floors, it didn't matter where they left from.

Once changed, Pythia turned to Rose.

"Ready when you are."

Sheila gave a decisive nod and raised one arm with her index finger extended. "To the Scuro-mobile!" she declared.

The aforementioned "Scuro-mobile" was just a black '98 Camaro, but it had belonged to her dad before she'd made off with it and swapped out the plates.

"Now," she plotted out loud when they were both buckled in, "to the nearest Dunkin' Donuts!" She wondered if Pythia might've found that confusing. "In lieu of police badges," she explained, adding an irritated edge to her voice, "we're going in armed with donuts and coffee. God willing, no one will spare a couple of gophers a second glance."

Edited by Fangirl05

((Fangirl I don't think you can write that Pythia looked confused. That's up to Takhesis.

SoiledLove has informed me that she may not be able to post for a while due to internet issues.))

[i don't mind too much smile.gif I did give permission for assumptions to be made. But thanks for the concern Fortune.]

On route

In the car, dubbed the 'Scuro-mobile' - what Pythia could only assume was meant to be a play on the Batmobile - a basic plan for entry was made.

First stop, to get the coffee and donuts. Then on to Baxter Research. That was Plan A. And hopefully it was the only plan they needed.

"Plan B?" Pythia queried, since there was always a chance that they would be stopped. The abduction should put security on higher alert - unless it was an inside job and the news was suppressed to the general staff.

Which was looking likely, considering the small amount of information Cadmus had. And they didn't need to rely on 'official' channels.

"We'll go in through the front door to find out at the desk where this guy's lab was," Sheila walked her through what she had in mind, "but after that we should split up. We might attract less attention on our own. We'll each take four coffees and a box of a dozen in a different direction and detour back to the office. If you run into anybody," she smiled a little deviously, "I've found that acting a little meek and timid is good for garnering sympathy."

"Understood." Meek and timid could be done. And the donuts and coffee could make for a good bribe if needed.

Hopefully the interior of the Baxter Labs would be easy to navigate. From the sounds of things, they needed to get as much information in the shortest time possible.

Weaponised Hope/Despair could be a very potent tool in anyone's arsenal.

[based on my university, the Chemistry department was a maze... was a lot of fun to move what we termed 'N-Bombs' around (big canisters filled with liquid nitrogen)]

The Dunkin' was surprisingly not-busy, with only three people on line. Maybe they'd missed the rush?

She ordered eight mediums, all light-and-sweet the way she liked, and two of the most popular donuts per box. She paid in cash, as was expected of a Cadmus agent.

She perched the coffee trays on top of the boxes and shouldered the door open. "Do you mind holding on to these while I drive?" she asked Pythia.

Taking the donut boxes and coffee trays from the designated driver, Pythia balanced them on her lap as Rose got back in.

"Not a problem."

She wasn't yet confident enough in her power control to attempt taking an advance peek while on the move. Though it might still be worth a try...

Fully aware that outside Cadmus facilities any conversation could be overheard, she asked:

"Shall I try and make a reservation with Apollo?" Translated from code, it meant 'should she try to see what awaits them' - of course, to anyone else it was a lazy way to refer to the Apollo Theatre.

"Yeah, why not?" Sheila agreed, "Forewarned is forearmed, and all that." Ergo, best to know who if anybody in there would give them any trouble.

[@SUP3RSPAWN3R read Standard Rule 9: PM forms for approval. Ones posted in the RP will be ignored.]

Pythia nodded at Shelia, and while balancing the donut boxes and coffee turned her mind inwards.

Since she was actively trying to use her powers, she needed to access her trance state. Baxter labs.... what awaits us...? Pythia focussed on that one question in the hopes that an answer would make itself known...

The Baxter building was ahead of them. The view point seemed to move quickly through the corridors before pausing outside an open doorway. A laboratory was inside the indicated room.

The vision zoomed in on a particular storage unit. The unit opened, test-tube holders on shelves were scanned, until a partially filled one was encountered.

She could see herself reaching towards it.....

[i think that's a very dramatic point to pause/get interrupted tongue.gif]

Sheila watched curiously as Pythia zoned out, and then a few seconds startled back in. She raised an eyebrow when she didn't immediately pass on what she'd seen. Maybe she hadn't seen anything?

"Well, don't keep me in suspense, here" she said, "Who tries to kill us where?"

At the question, Pythia refocused on the present. Filtering through what she'd seen, and made what sense of it she could.

"We won't have trouble until we get into Alderton's lab." It was a reasonable assumption that the room she'd seen did belong to the missing scientist.

"Once inside, it looks like our investigation gets interrupted during an item analysis. I believe its when I'm trying to determine which form of the chemical was taken." Again, she was assuming that she was trying to take a reading - or perhaps just turning the tube to read a label, when her vision faded out. Either way, the lack of any further info was a problem.

[Rather vague.. but wriggle room is always good.]

"Hmm" Sheila hummed at the report, "Guess I'll have to pull out the Flash-Bang twice, then." She'd meant to use it once to draw anyone inside the lab out, lock herself and the psychic in, and throw a Curtain up over the window until they'd found what they needed to find, but you gotta be able to roll with the punches in life.

Ghost stood still and hummed to himself while the scanner drew back down his leg. He had just managed to grab a shower and a change of clothes before Sheffield and his lackeys had summoned him to one of their labs. Now he was standing in some weird glass container while little robot arms checked over every inch of his body.

Now and again Sheffield would ask him to turn intangible for a few moments. While Ghost didn't know what they were discussing, he could hear excited whispers from the other side of the glass. They must have found something pretty interesting.

"Okay Ghost" said Sheffield, opening the container so the teenager could step out. "That'll do for now."

"Can I go then?" asked Ghost. He was feeling tired after using his powers so much. He hadn't had much chance to rest after his earlier exercises.

"Sit down over there for now" said Sheffield, nodding towards a chair. "I want to ask the director something."

As Ghost made his way over to the indicated chair Sheffield went back to his console and accessed the intercom.

"Can Director Brightham please contact the examination room on Floor Four?"

Edited by Fortune86

Sophia’s run on the treadmill was indeed something see needed to refresh. She was breathing heavy and the sweat was dripping from the side of her face but it was nothing that a little towel could wipe away. Finishing her stretching after the run she heard the familiar voice of Sheffield asking for her. The director merely just walked towards the intercom against the wall and pressed the button to speak.

“Yes?” She spoke into the piece waiting for the doctor to reply.