Fightandspawn

Hunting?

But I do not see aerial management, most trapping, or hunting with dogs as humane.

Depends on the animal. Animals like feral pigs, which are an introduced species in the US, breed like rabbits, and are smart, there really is little alternative to effectively controlling their population than those three methods.

Edited by Nectaris

I believe hunting for sport is fundamentally wrong.

Hunting for sustenance isn't something I would do, but it's not a main concern of mine.

As long as it's not just for fun I don't have a problem with it. Calling hunting a sport has always creeped me out.

Depends on the animal. Animals like feral pigs, which are an introduced species in the US, breed like rabbits, and are smart, there really is little alternative to effectively controlling their population than those three methods.

I see what you mean. But these methods should not be used unless absolutely necessary.

@Alupe

It is quite creepy.

My answer: It depends.

Introduced species cripple native wildlife and in some cases, cause them to become extinct. When I lived in Queensland, I'd see five or six cane toads for every green tree frog if I was lucky. Since cane toads are introduced, they don't have any natural predators, not to mention they are poisonous when ingested and secrete a venomous toxin from glands on their backs. There's actually been bounty hunts for cane toads in Queensland, that offered prizes for turning cane toads in provided they were killed using a humane method. One of the markets I used to work at with my Nanna had a stall with stuffed cane toads, real cane toads, posed in all sorts of fashions. I recall it being a popular stall, tourists loved the novelty, although I'd never buy a real stuffed animal for the novelty.

Even some native species breed excessively, in parts of Australia, Kangaroos are hunted because they're population is out of control. I won't even mention rabbits, at least they're providing larger snake and monitor species with food. We have wild brumbies cannibalising in one of the mountain regions of NSW because there isn't enough food. That's right, horses eating other horses. They are culling but it isn't effective enough to curb the population rise.

My mother has been pig hunting before, her and her then boyfriend would get in the ute with some hunting dogs and a gun. By morning they'd usually be back with a feral pig. I was a pretty young kid then, but I do recall at least some of those pigs being used for food.

Whether the hunting is for sport or food, I'm okay with it provided the animal is killed in as humane a way as possible. I've never been hunting outside of fishing and never will go. When I did fish, any animal below the size limit, was released back into the ocean/river once I removed the hook. The fish that were kept were eaten later that same day.

Edited because I didn't proof read a sentence properly.

Edited by VampiricOmen

I don't like hunting. When ever I go hiking or on a four wheel drive up a mountain I like enjoying nature. I seen some nice groups of deer the other weekend when I went for a drive with my parents.

I'm tentatively pro-hunting. Hunting purely for sport is something I find to be wasteful, though, and I cannot personally abide by it. If as much is used as is possible, I've no issue with well-managed hunting. Deer, for example, have lost most of their natural predators (no thanks to humans) so get overpopulated and can starve to death. A quick death is better than disease and starvation due to overpopulation. I'm also against using killing as the first method of taking care of issues such as predators preying on livestock. There are other methods that can be deployed first.

Introduced species are also prime candidates for hunting. They throw off the balance terribly, so I've no issue with people hunting them even if they can't be eaten. They didn't belong there in the first place. For example, many of our native ant and bed species are being out competed by introduced species. This is a problem both for the insects and for native plants. Native species are much better at seed dispersal (ants) and pollination (bees) of our native plants than are the introduced species. Entire ecosystems can be severely affected by the introduction of a single species.

For sport, especially the hunting of already endangered species? No. For food, population control, things like that, yes.

My family hunts for many reasons, but sport isn't one of them. I can't help but get slightly agitated when people label all hunters as trigger-happy egoists; sure, there are some idiots out there who will shoot wildlife just for the heck of it or for the sake of adding some pretty bones to their trophy collections, but there are far more people who hunt with conservation and sustenance in mind. Then again, when an organization like PeTA posts misleading information such as this picture for it's three million cult worshippers Facebook followers to see, it's not hard to understand why so many people frown upon hunting. If they had any idea what they were talking about, then they would know that doe season does not open until the fawns are old enough to fend for themselves.

Oohh, I remember when I used to debate about this for hours back in like, 2012. Remember wolfaboos, anyone?

I personally believe that hunting is an important way of helping to manage our ecosystem as well as control overpopulation. I live in Canada, and in the territories, majority of the population hunts for their food rather than buying it due to the outrageous prices. I've seen bags of chips go up to $40, no joke.

Of course, hunting endangered species and the like is bad, and illegal for a reason. A good hunter should be aware of the state of their ecosystem, and never waste what they kill.

But in the end, whether hunting's good or not really does depend on your area's ecosystem and what you're hunting.

Edited by Soruc The Dragon

I've lived my whole life among people who have gone hunting. I've been on a couple trips myself but never killed... Mostly because I can't get over the little tradition we have.

Hunting is a good way to control over populated areas. Another thing we do is when an animal is seriously injured we hunt it down and kill it because there is no need for it to suffer. The same goes when their is a illness amongst some herds... that is if their is no cure for the illness.

I am for hunting but those who hunt for no reason sickens me. Why kill an animal if you're not going to feed your family? Why kill a rhino for its horn? Its stupid and irresponsible. I see everyday over the news on how animals on game farms are being killed by irresponsible people just because the want that rush of killing something!

It is wrong!

Oohh, I remember when I used to debate about this for hours back in like, 2012. Remember wolfaboos, anyone?

I was a total wolfaboo back then. The shame! ;~;

But yeah, PeTA is practically a cult. They're total nutjobs, I could ramble on and on about how idiotic they are.

My family hunts for many reasons, but sport isn't one of them. I can't help but get slightly agitated when people label all hunters as trigger-happy egoists; sure, there are some idiots out there who will shoot wildlife just for the heck of it or for the sake of adding some pretty bones to their trophy collections, but there are far more people who hunt with conservation and sustenance in mind. Then again, when an organization like PeTA posts misleading information such as this picture for it's three million cult worshippers Facebook followers to see, it's not hard to understand why so many people frown upon hunting. If they had any idea what they were talking about, then they would know that doe season does not open until the fawns are old enough to fend for themselves.

AND that is probably WHY the hunting season is when it is, and why there are rules in place.

I was a total wolfaboo back then. The shame! ;~;

But yeah, PeTA is practically a cult. They're total nutjobs, I could ramble on and on about how idiotic they are.

I had a small wolfaboo phase myself. Fortunately I'm much more... sane now, and so is the general populace. I'm glad I haven't seen "!!!hnuting is bhad and u shuld never do it!!!! EVERRR!!!! D:<!!!!" in a long time.

I had a small wolfaboo phase myself. Fortunately I'm much more... sane now, and so is the general populace. I'm glad I haven't seen "!!!hnuting is bhad and u shuld never do it!!!! EVERRR!!!! D:<!!!!" in a long time.

I used to be almost that bad. Sooo many people have a wolfaboo phase...part of growing up, I guess. X3

My uncle has a cabin upstate NY, and I go with him during hunting season, we hunt deer up there.

When we get a kill, we use almost everything from the animal, my uncle loves deer sausages, I love venison salami and venison steaks, they taste better and less fat. Skin we take, my mom loves that stuff, we make it ourselves, bone for our dogs, and the insides my uncle takes, mostly we leave it in the forest for wild cats.... oh the liver I eat, love it, oh... and my uncle say's there is this old tradition of after killing your first deer you must carve out its heart and bite it.....had to do it with my first deer.... I still have nightmares...... blink.gif

my uncle say's there is this old tradition of after killing your first deer you must carve out its heart and bite it.....

This sounds like the best tradition.

and my uncle say's there is this old tradition of after killing your first deer you must carve out its heart and bite it.....had to do it with my first deer.... I still have nightmares...... blink.gif

We have a tradition like that here as well. Except you could choose between heart, kidney, liver and you have to eat it raw.

This is the reason why I haven't shot anything myself.

We have a tradition like that here as well. Except you could choose between heart, kidney, liver and you have to eat it raw.

This is the reason why I haven't shot anything myself.

I would do the same thing if I were you. xd.png

I have nothing against hunting, so long as you are going to DO something with it. I was born and raised eating meat and (sometimes) hunting. Though my family fishes wayyyy more then we

hunt, I still have NEVER heard of biting a deers heart when you kill your first one. Never had to do that, never will.

I do hunt for sport (watch me get flamed), although I only hunt species that are overpopulated. I trap house sparrows regularly (if you're going to screech at me look up some pictures of the blue jays that they've mauled), freeze them, and donate them to my local bird of prey rehab center.

I also take waterfowl (although not migrants) and rabbits, again to be donated to rehab centers.

I do hunt for sport (watch me get flamed), although I only hunt species that are overpopulated. I trap house sparrows regularly (if you're going to screech at me look up some pictures of the blue jays that they've mauled), freeze them, and donate them to my local bird of prey rehab center.

I also take waterfowl (although not migrants) and rabbits, again to be donated to rehab centers.

I believe that hunting is a sport, but did NOT want to be the first one to say so. I trap sparrows too, and I hunt everything that I can.

Hunting is a part of my family's background, I see nothing wrong with hunting. Hunting not only puts food on the table, it also helps keep the population under control. I am from Upper Michigan, if the deer were not harvested by the hunters, their would be far more deer suffering starvation through the long bitter harsh winters, more deer being hit by cars, causing death to not only deer but humans as well.

The only problem that I have with hunting is where some people basically pay to have the animal shall we say "tied to a tree waiting for them to shoot" That is not sport, that is not rite, that is not hunting it is sick and wrong.

I also have a serious problem with anyone who shoots and kills an animal for its head or hide not utilizing its meat. Again sick and wrong!

I am a farmers daughter, my grand father was a farmer, and his father before him and so on, I am a country girl, I love nature, I love and respect animals. Yes I eat them I do I do, but I also fight to protect them. Any true hunter knows and understands what I am saying here.

I can not hunt anymore due to health reasons but oh what I would give for some partridge! They don't even live in WA St where I live now, I see those little Quail running about and just chuckle thinking to myself how I wish they were partridge yum!

So long as it's in season/you otherwise have the rights, personally I don't care. c: Just don't shoot me on accident. :U I'm looking at you, Dick Cheney!

Even if it's for sport, food, or self-defense, so long as it's legal for someone to do (that includes the gun/weapon usage, too, not just whatever animal you're hunting), I'm just like "eh whatever. That's cool I guess."

and I hunt everything that I can.

>_<

That comment made it sound like you go around killing everything you can, no matter what the animal is, just for the hell of it or kicks and for no other reason. Is that right? I hope not.

Edited by MedievalMystic