Fightandspawn

Hunting?

This is a debate thread, reminder no rants or flaming. Do you believe in hunting? I'll go first. I believe that hunting is a great way to balance nature and eat tasty dinners mellow.gif

EDIT: I use whatever I can when I get a kill.

Edited by Fightandspawn

I don't think 'balancing nature' is a good excuse for hunting. Nature can do just fine without our intervention. I also don't think 'sport' would be a good reason either.

However, if you eat what you kill or are trying to dispose of a dangerous animal, say a bear or something has wandered into a populated area and killed someone and you wish to prevent further attacks, then that's understandable. Hunting to survive can be justified.

Honestly, hunting is probably a hell of a lot more humane than factory farming. So...yeah. Provided it's done responsibly, I have no issue with it. (Non-vegetarians who get moralistic about hunting- especially hunting for food- make my brain hurt.)

Only if you eat what you catch. Hunting for "fun" is barbaric.

I have no issues with hunting, provided that the person doing it knows what they are doing and they don't wound the animal and are then too lazy to even try to go find it if it runs. ( admittedly finding it and finishing the job may NOT always be possible, but the effort should be made). I have even read about cases of people that did that with dangerous predators in times passed ( tigers, leopards and ect... ) and the animal went on to become a huge problem because it could no longer hunt its normal prey and some other hunter had to be called in to deal with it because the animal had taken to hunting humans as prey. As someone else said, that also would be a case where hunting would be justified, sadly... if the animal in question is a known human killer.

I would also say that it is my PREFERENCE if the animal killed is made use of in some way.

Whether that be eating the meat , wearing the hide or such.

I don't really understand the concept of hunting PURELY for trophies or sport. Just my two cents.

Edited by Silverswift

I don't think 'balancing nature' is a good excuse for hunting. Nature can do just fine without our intervention. I also don't think 'sport' would be a good reason either.

Sadly it can't. We've messed up nature so much that now there are invasive species and overpopulated species and everything's all outta whack and it's our job to fix it because we're the ones who ruined it in the first place.

Sadly it can't. We've messed up nature so much that now there are invasive species and overpopulated species and everything's all outta whack and it's our job to fix it because we're the ones who ruined it in the first place.

Not quite true. If the human race vanished overnight the planet would still live on. Nature has survived ice ages, meteors and so on. Yeah it would take a long time and it would never be the same as it was before, but animal/plant life would carry on without us.

Not quite true. If the human race vanished overnight the planet would still live on. Nature has survived ice ages, meteors and so on. Yeah it would take a long time and it would never be the same as it was before, but animal/plant life would carry on without us.

Ice ages are naturally occurring event. Humans capturing species from one continent and bringing them to another is not.

Ice ages are naturally occurring event. Humans capturing species from one continent and bringing them to another is not.

Yes indeed. The English took rabbits and foxes to Australia and caused untold damage.

I feel there are plenty of valid and good reasons to hunt. If it's done with as little suffering to the hunted as possible and it's serving an actual USE (food, tools, medicine, hides, research, etc.), then I can't say I see a problem. Also, as long as the species isn't in danger of dying out.

I admit, I never agreed or saw the appeal of hunting purely for sport...

I am against hunting for sport, hunting endangered animals, and poorly managed hunting.

If it's a quick death for the animal, and the animal will be eaten and otherwise made use of, then I don't have an issue with it. My dad used to hunt deer when I was little. Mom and her friend once fed us "beef" stew (it was moose). No, I wasn't pleased by this, but at the same time, I don't eat meat now and the idea of eating "Bambi" when I was little was horrifying. I hold nothing against others who do, though.

I only hunt what I'm going to eat. Since I don't like the taste of ptarmigan, I don't hunt ptarmigan, even though it is very common to hunt ptarmigan here and they're in no risk of being wiped out. So actually, I only hunt moose.

And I fish. But I greatly dislike those who fish even when they have no intention of eating it, or won't give it to someone who will eat it.

Same as what most people have said, the animal should be made use of after its death and it should be done responsibly.

I don't LIKE hunting in general, but if the animal is eaten or turned into something useful then that's better than purely for sport. I've always been around hunters; my grandfather hunts birds with his dogs and I live in a rural area where it's extremely common (I've been horseback riding and stumbled onto hunters, which is sometimes a bit alarming). The beginning of dove/etc. seasons were always announced over the intercom at the high school I attended and it was practically a celebration among a large number of students.

I can't see the appeal, but then I can't even squish most insects.

I could never hunt, myself. I feel guilty when I squish a bug tongue.gif But when necessary as long as the animal died a quick death and as much as possible of the body is used it doesn't bother me. I'm a vegetarian but I'd rather eat meat from a hunted animal that died a quick, painless death than factory-farmed meat from the grocery store.

I don't LIKE the idea of killing animals, but it is needed in some circumstances.

For sport? No.

For sustenance - as in actually living off the land, not simply for fun and eating what you killed for fun - then no worries.

Its ok only if you eat it and its not endangered.

Just for sport NO I hate people who kill off wolves and tigers and lions and foxes just for a trophy its messed up.

also NO hunting animals out of season there is a reason for this, if you want to be able to hunt and eat the animal again its best not to kill ALL of them off -.-

Just reminding everyone, breaking the laws of hunting makes the person a poacher, not a hunter. If you kill endangered/protected species that's poaching wink.gif

I do not feel that hunting should be considered a sport/game. After all it is a living being. However, as a meat eater I am not opposed to hunting, providing respect is paid to the animal, thanks for its sacrifice and every part that can be used is used and used well.

Hunting just for fun or wanting, head, horns and fur only makes me sick.

And I fish. But I greatly dislike those who fish even when they have no intention of eating it, or won't give it to someone who will eat it.

I sort of agree; I mean, I don't mind fishing for trophies, and actually stuffing that fish and hanging it over the fireplace; however I'm sick of throwing caught fish right away like a trash and therefore wasting it.

There is a lake near my city, and every summer fishermen gather there. Usual sight right after they're gone? Rubbish everywhere, remains of fish bait and actual fish left on the grass, often already partially eaten by bugs and decayed. Like, man, move your butt, clean after yourself, take a photo of your trophy and and throw that poor fish back into the water if you're not going to do anything with it! It's not difficult. The sight is not only ugly but I feel sorry for these fish. At least earlier mentioned bugs and microbes are happy...

Hunting responsibly? Yes, I support it.

I'll note that I 'd rather it was done for food (that is to say, as much of the animal as possible should be used) or population control* than sport, however.

*Such as foxes and raccoon dogs over here - due to the rabies vaccine, their population has exploded. It's a choice between having rabies (and other diseases) kill them - as is the "natural" way - or doing it ourselves, pretty much. Raccoon dogs aren't even a native species.

"Nature's way" of regulating is by no means any kinder than humans' - often enough it just means a much slower, painful death for the animals.

To clarify, no matter what I shoot (unless unfit for consumption) I will eat. Foxes, raccoons, anything I shoot that is healthy and clearly not diseased.

I agree with what Ripan and Light Concorde said about fishing. ^^

I was at a lake this summer and there were a couple teenagers fishing. They caught a rather small fish and I guess decided it wasn't "good enough" and you know what they did? Instead of throwing it back in the water, they left it on the grass. Just left it there, flopping. dry.gif

I was at a lake this summer and there were a couple teenagers fishing. They caught a rather small fish and I guess decided it wasn't "good enough" and you know what they did? Instead of throwing it back in the water, they left it on the grass. Just left it there, flopping. dry.gif

That's just disrespectful. I'm all for hunting and fishing, but SERIOUSLY? How hard is it to put the fish back where it came from?

I was at a lake this summer and there were a couple teenagers fishing. They caught a rather small fish and I guess decided it wasn't "good enough" and you know what they did? Instead of throwing it back in the water, they left it on the grass. Just left it there, flopping.  dry.gif

See, now THAT, I think, is wrong.

If you didn't want the fish, why NOT release it? Why leave it on the grass to suffer and die?

Edited by Silverswift

There are a few factors here.

First, if the hunting necessary? Is the animal being hunted overpopulated or causing ecological damage? Is there reliable scientific evidence that suggests this?

If yes, then I support it.

Second, is the hunting humane? Is the animal given a swift death, with as little stress and pain as possible?

If yes, I support it.

But I do not see aerial management, most trapping, or hunting with dogs as humane.

Third, how much of the animal is used? Is it wasted, or is everything that can be, used?

If yes, I support it.

I don't support killing and animal, skinning it, and letting the meat rot in your freezer.